Switching from strength training to hypertrophy

I am strong as fuck but look skinny. 5'9" and 145 lbs. Can dead lift 4x5x120kg, squat 4x5x110kg, and bench 4x5x75kg

But I don't care about that anymore cause I look weak. Gained a few pounds and it all went to my stomach. I'm only 30. Too young to be skinny fat.

Give me a good hypertrophy routine to work on legs and arms. Chest already looks fine.

are you sure you're not actually a crane benching 1500 kg

>Strong as fuck
>Your lifts

Wut?

>my bodyweight

Do isolation exercises and weighted calisthenics then do deads 3x8-10 as heavy as you can but always 8-10 low weight if you have to

Don't worry about legs unless you got chicken legs

hey dude, we share the same height and weight, try doing a lot of dropsets

i fell for the meme of powerlifting too.. let us move past these dark times and focus on the gains

>But I don't care about that anymore cause I look weak.

Hahahaha you are weak bro. Why don't you continue with strength training but actually eat food.

>5'9
>145lbs
>>>>>>>>
Jesus fucking Christ dude you must be small as hell. Focus on eating a shit ton more, if you want to look bigger you need to weigh more. Also your lifts are not strong at all (((((EVEN RELATIVE TO BODYWEIGHT))))). Switching to a "hypertrophy" program isn't going to make more of a difference in your physique than continuing to strength training but eating at a higher caloric intake.

Lol look at all the dyel he can dead and squat twice his weight and bench his bodyweight he's doing fine for his weight if he bulked for 3 months and continued lifting like that he would be better than most of fit

bulk doing more strength training then cut while trying to maintain your strength levels.

People are in here telling me to eat more and bulk.

I did that for 2-3 months, went from 141 to 150. I did get stronger, but the only thing that changed in my physique is I got a little pot belly like three months pregnant.

Legs are sticks.

you're fucking delusional if you think you're 'strong as fuck' even at your bodyweight

You gotta bulk for longer than 2 months. Keep doing SS.

Nice trips but bro those lifts aren’t amazing at that bodyweight I would get stronger and start upping the volume on the body parts you want bigger and up the days per week you workout
Post pic of body for anons?

5'10 145 lbs
deadlift 315x1, bench 180x5
you got me on squat tho
nerd

that pot belly is going to make you feel more secure when your squats start scaring you

uhhhh, this is only strong by normie standards. But good job making it to intermediate level.

I gained 10 lbs and I decided to stop there because I didn't look good. It was getting ridiculous. One night after dinner my girlfriend pointed to my stomach and a girl in a taxi was literally laughing out loud, cackling like, at my stomach. Cause here is this sort of thin young guy with his big fat pot belly. It was pathetic, I couldn't take it.

If I get back to 150 lbs I want a little of that weight to go to my stick legs please.

start lifting bigger weights then. I went from 118lbs to 163lbs but still look skinny. I can't tell if you are bulking too fast or your weights are just stalling for more than 1 week.

>5'9"
>145lbs
>30 years old
>"strong as fuck"
>why do i still look skinny?

is this some kind of troll thread?

I had been stalled for a while and my lifts even went down about a year ago. But then they've been going back up the past few months and these are all PBs lately.

I thought everyone in here would recommend a hypertrophy routine, but instead most are telling me to continue strength training.

It's cool that I squat more than most people in my gym but it's not cool that I still have bird legs. I've been doing SS and strength routines for like 5 years, it's clearly not working aesthetically.

no troll actually this your bench is weak as fuck

yeah it's trailing behind a bit because of a fairly serious wrist injury when i was in a car accident.

regardless, pecs are probably my best feature

if you really only care about looks then run one of those PPL routines. But to me, it sounds like you haven't been all that serious with strength training by the way you tell your story so I am not sure if you would even be able to do a bodybuilding routine which would take more dedication.

kek

Yeah ?.. I have stronger lifts than you weighting 3 kg more and i'm dyel

>75 x 2.2 = 165 lbs
>strong

is this the normie limit?

that's impressive man, do your legs still look like mine?

>I am strong as fuck
hahahahaha

>file name

Intermediate level lifts is a fine place to switch to a hypertrophy routine. This was exactly Veeky Forums's advice when there were people here who actually knew what they were talking about.

Dont forget that most of these dudes are fat hogs and/or can only see things in extremes.

I am your height, weigh 5 pounds more and dont even fucking squat or dl and my legs look better.

Post upper body, I am interested.

apparently so. Seems like if you reach 2pl8 squat, 1pl8 bench, and 2pl8 deadlifts you are "strong as fuck."
So i guess good news for Veeky Forums

please post a picture of your legs. I am curious what 150lb legs look like

I switched from strength to hypertrophy after my back muscle got pulled so bad I couldn't get out of bed and I couldn't breathe. Strength training is overrated and isn't work the risk

How do you train your legs then? Legs are a part of balanced physique and fit ass looks nice.

>I am strong as fuck
>bench 75kg

i dont, for the last year ive been ignoring legs completely after falling for SL5x5 similar to OP. I do a lot of gymnastic ring work and big fat heavy legs suck doing back/front levers.

Just keep doing your normal routine but add more isolation moves

>strength training is overrated

did you go to some powerlifting gym in the beginning? Every single person at a commercial gym is only doing bodybuilding routines.

you should have focused more on power then

>Those lifts
>Strong as fuck

Holy SHIT nigga people your weight do more than double that.

Anyway, train for whatever you want man. It's your own body. If you want to do hypertrophy look for some Renaissance Periodization programs.

Started doing the same thing last week.

Focusing more on cardio as well

not interested in power. I am interested in looking good naked and doing fun shit on gymnastic rings.

I dont give a flying fuck if I can only squat the bar and doing backlevers has helped my back more than DL ever has.

You young nerds can have the powerlifting shit. Im a 35 year old man who refuses to hurt himself ever again.

I think OP is long gone. Seems like he realized this isn't facebook where everyone tells you how swole you are.

>not interested in power
okay. I thought maybe you wanted to get better at gymnastics since that was the reason why you stopped strength training. Or maybe you aren't comprehending, not sure. But as a 35 year old man, you talk like you are still in high school. Or am still consistently talking mostly to high school kids on forums.

Still waiting for the solution to my problem here

>how do i get bigger?

yeah.... you definitely trolling

Literally any routine ppl if you stick to the routine you stupid faggot. If you dont care about progressing just do full body 3x a week.

I'm really not. I kick my ass working harder at the gym than most. I don't miss days or do drugs. I sleep enough. I eat a fuck ton to gain 10 lbs in 3 months and my results are balls aesthetically.

still waiting on that picture of your legs old man. you say you don't want big legs but at the same time claim your legs look better than everyone here.

>3 months
>why do i look so skinny

yeah.... you are definitely trolling. btw, is this you?

>66kg
>Those lifts
>Strong as fuck
Lmao

Listen, you may not be "strong as fuck", but this is Veeky Forums and people are of course overly hard on you. Your lifts are OK and you are strong enough that you could've been potentially more muscular. You're definitely right about that.

It seems like you've been doing most things the right way, but here's the thing: people react differently to different kinds of training. Research shows the average but the raw data always reveals outliers reacting completely different. So you should probably make some changes, which you realize and that's why you're here asking.

Your numbers have gone up so you've been doing most things right, so don't try to flip everything upside down. Make small changes one at a time so you can properly gauge the effect. That's the only way to actually learn what works for you and what doesn't.
If I were you I'd keep doing what you're doing and simply add 1 back-off set of 10-12 reps to each of your lifts. Do that for about 6 weeks and see what happens. Make sure your diet is on point.
If no effect, try changing your entire rep range to about 10 rather than 5s.

whats with the weak ass lifts lmao. Reminder that nobody on here lifts AT ALL.

>I am strong as fuck
>4x5x120kg deadlift

What the literal fuck, m8. This has to be b8.

I am the exact same stats, fuck around and lift 140, 140 (short arms suck) and 110 (short arms are good)
Those are 1rm but my 5rms are still considerably more
Keep getting strong dude

said they looked better than OP. Do you find that hard to believe?

Just bloatmaxx

maybe you dont comprehend. I dont put my feet in the rings, I put my hands in them. Squatting is of no use to me.

I never said I dont lift weights, I said I dont work legs. I lift 3x/week.

Maybe I am just of low intelligence and you young guys are just too smart for me

Seriously OP, for natties strength is very highly connected to muscle mass. Eat some food, do more bench volume and get your bench to 2.5pl8+

Your chest is not "fine"
You look emaciated here Try doing more volume and gaining weight around 1-2 lbs a month.

you're giving him the same target number as you would someone who is 6'6"@230lbs

OP doesnt need to bench 2.5+ plate to have a nice chest. The 1/2/3/4 thing is totally fucked anyway. Should be a percentage of bodyweight.
75% / 100% / ?% / ?% or something to that effect.

A 6'6" man can reach 1/2/3/4 much easier than a 5'4" man could.

Found the DYEL.

I'm only 5'11 and barely look like I lift while deadlifting over 5pl8 and benching 2.5pl8.

the whole time Ive been in this thread ive said I dont lift for strength, you didnt find shit, nerd.

Although that webm is impressive.

But OP said he wanted to look like he lifted, if you say you dont look that way why would he follow your footsteps? Maybe he needs to bench 4plate? 3.5plate? Or just maybe he needs to switch to a hypertrophy routine

fug, you sure you are 5'9" and not 4'9"?
I'm @200lbs and I look skinny as shit as 6'3"

The problem wasn't that I was still skinny. Reading comprehension here, please. The problem is I gained 4kg, got a lot stronger, and all of that fucking 4kg went to my stomach and I looked awful.

Thank you, this is probably the most helpful post in the entire thread, I really appreciate it user

What I'm saying is aesthetics is all about body fat + strength. If you avoid getting stronger you're not going to be aesthetic. I guarantee if I cut to 8% bf I'd be more aesthetic than the vast majority of this board.

Plus people on CBT are mostly just skelly DYELs abusing lighting and angles to look good.
>pic related is me

>showing off arms
what got you those arms? bench? squat? deadlift?

Getting my bench to 2.5pl8 like I said.

you bicep-bench? bench usually hits my chest/delts

OP, you look weak because you are weak. You're light as fuck and you're lifts are shit. Eat more.

Anybody else notice a steep increase in the amount of incredibly retarded posts on this board?

Bench hits triceps too. Obviously bench isn't the only upper body exercise I do. Real intermediate and advanced strength programs have lots of accessories, but about half of my upper body volume comes from benching. I'm a huge fan of pendlay rows and cgbp/DB bench too.

>I'm strong as fuck
Laughingwhores.png

If I get back to 150 lbs and that pot belly comes back again, then what the fuck do I do? I feel like I am almost at my genetic peak given extremely small wrists and ankles, so I don't really know how else to get rid of the belly besides just losing weight.

>Almost at my genetic peak
>Sub 1/2/3/4
Holy shit, dude. Just bulk at 1-2 lbs/month and no more. And do lots of volume, not that SS or SL shit. Sure you'll put on a tiny bit of fat. But being 12-15% bf at 185 looks infinitely better than 145 and 8-10% bf in real life.

Also don't use the wristlet excuse. My wrists are just under 6.5" circumference.

trips wasted on this weak manlet

>strong as fuck
>Novice DL
>Even weaker Squat
>Bench is kinda ok for your weight...

Wait a sec... 145 lbs!
You either at 1% bodyfat or lying about your height.

Storytime with insecure OP?

>Wait a sec... 145 lbs!
>You either at 1% bodyfat or lying about your height.
>Storytime with insecure OP?

Nah, look at the photo of my legs. They are not giving me an mass. Way above 10% body fat cause of fat belly when I was at 150 lbs.

>strong af
>cant even diddly 3pl8 x 5
Please be bait

guys, obviously i exaggerated when i said i am strong af. compared to the people on this board, i am weak, sure. sorry if i was being a dickhead and anyone who is stronger than me was offended.

among my friends who del, and at my commercial gym, i am lifting more than 90% of the others. so the point is i don't really care to get more strong. it was important back when i was squatting 60 kg, but now i want to focus on aesthetics.

we still haven't really arrived at a comprehensive answer for why my legs stay sticks, but my stomach grows. i mean, a few years ago i really was squatting 60kg, and now i'm up to 110 kg.

for the people telling me to just lift more, what i have to say back is this: i already doubled the amount i can left, and my legs look basically identical. why should i believe they're going to get bigger if i add on another 20kg to my lifts?

>strong as fuck
> bench 4x5x75kg
what?

>5'9" 145lbs

Not even a manlet; Some sort of pygmy lanklet.

I'm 5'9" at 170 and 15% bodyfat.

Op you are sorely mistaken. Please continue your lifts. This is your actual lift calculation

>Strong as fuck
>4x5 120kg deadlifts

Does not compute

What calorie surplus are you running

Are you dumb? Can easily be that weight + height since he has no muscle

>Squat 110kgx5
>Why are my legs sticks
Probably because that's a novice squat. A lot of your gains so far are probably from CANS adaptation. You'll have to put on some muscle to get much stronger. Get your squat to 4 pl8. I guarantee your legs won't be sticks then.

I'll repeat myself one more time: Thinking aesthetics and strength aren't connected is the biggest mistake most beginners and early intermediates make.

CNS, not cans. Stupid autocorrect

Jeff Nippard
Renaissance Periodization

Hypertrophy is driven by three things
>Muscle damage
>Mechanical tension
>Metabolic stress

I just do my normal workout, but then I pick a body part that I want to give some extra attention to.
>One exercise that's maximally loaded when the muscle is stretched (more muscle damage)
>One heavy compound (more mechanical tension)
>One exercise that I can bro out on and do meme shit to chase the pump. (More metabolic stress)

it is, when i tell people i'm annoyed its taking me 9 months to get to a 405 DL they look at me like i'm some arrogant cunt.
if you can bench press your body weight the average fuck thinks you are strong. to know the truth that you aren't hurts even more when no one understands it but you.

Mine are 5.5" so quite a bit smaller

Try eating more little guy.

I'm pretty much the same specs as this guy but like half DL and Squat weight and 80% of the bench weight.

What is considered strong if this isnt? : /
Everyday I come here I feel like I will make it less and less

snapcity next stop

I've been plateaud on 60kg squats for like 6 months (partially cos of under-calorie diet). How did you double it in a couple of months? What was your program/nutrition like?

just do steroids you absolute pleb

I didn't double it in a couple months, lol. I did probably go from 40kg to 60kg in like 4 months just going to the gym every day

From 60kg to 100 kg probably took like 1 year or 2, but that was a long time ago. Going from 100kg to 120kg has taken a few years of progress up, then going down, back up and down and finally up

the girls in my gym are stronger than you bruh