Overhead press standards?

What are the norms for OHP for 10x reps for a novice?

Other urls found in this thread:

symmetricstrength.com/standards#/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs, somewhat of a novice at lifting.

How much should I be able to ohp x10?

u should not do more than 5 reps for any major compound movement

80lbs at 10-12 reps, but as mentioned stick to 5 reps a set.

Love some OHP. Possibly my favorite lift.

it obviously depends on the person, you stupid nigger. my friend is huge and a bodybuilder. he recommends to do 12 reps, but that's because he wants definition

ohp is one of the harder workouts and imo easiest to hurt yourself with. you're putting a decent amount of weight over your head, so falling over can happen. additionally, it's easy to fuck your back up. point is, don't rush ohp. ignore "norms" and do what you can as long as it's safe. I don't know what normal is, but most average looking guys at the gym are doing around 95lb for 5 reps, so maybe 80-100lb for 10 reps, assuming no leg drive

it used to be my favourite, but ever since doing sumo, I've converted

strict ohp or utilize hip thrust?

>u should not do more than 5 reps for any major compound movement
-Veeky Forums

A novice? Something like 85 lbs. If you're new and doing sets of 10, aim for 10 x 100 lbs.

>What is 5x5

Fuck off fuckboy

What do you reckon his jean size is? 34?

if you're gonna do it don't grip as wide as this dude, keep a fairly narrow grip and look up some form videos. it's much more technical than it looks and easy to fuck up

Retards and newfags

Should OHP use a leg thrust or purely upper body(lower for stabilization only)?

50kg x 10 is the minimum

Why are the hands so far apart in the picture? Is that the ultimate correct form?
I usually put them a little more than shoulder wide apart.

You can, but you'd be lying to yourself if you count a push press as a 1RM.

Might as well count a quarter squat.

I am novice I do 8x3 reps of a total of 43 kg (94lbs). I am pretty weak though.

rippetits recommends hyep drahve, but a lot of others don't. I guess it's up to you - be careful not to do the limbo though as it's not good for your back. imo it's best and safest to keep your hips still, glutes and quads tightly squeezed. if you want to push heavier weights and use your legs do the push press instead

>Retards and newfags
which are you?

congrats on your PR of 50x10

Does that look like jeans to you?

Is it ok to cheat on your last reps? For my last set I can get 1pl8 for maybe 3 or 4 reps. If I use a bit of a drive for the next 3 or 4 will it still count or am I a fag

but i mean when he doe swear jeans - what size would it be?

I mean it doesn't really count, but if it helps you build up to the point where you don't need to do it anymore then why not.

I believe some BB guys will do 'assisted reps' when going to exhaustion. What you're describing is in the same vein.

size 0

Hip drive is fine to get more reps. There is a huge difference between a bit of drive and a push press.

The press was thrown out of Oly lifts because everyone uses some drive when going heavy.

I mean, most of the ugly low bar clam shell, super wide stance squats I see have the ROM of a hack squat from blocks but people still count those.

Not sure but my 1rm is 190.
I do Nuckols bench 3xint medium but for OHP.
I can easily squeeze 15-20lbs more outta it i think before i switch to advanced.

>bench 225
>cant ohp more than 100
What does this mean

Weak shoulders, maybe your core needs a bit of work. I can only bench 225 but I can OHP 160.

I'm at 220lbs and do 155 lbs for 5x5. Where does that put me?

Not that suprising. When people max out on bench they use momentum at the bottom of the lift to come back up, dig their legs in, and engage the lats too.

Lifting overhead from a clean you're starting at the point of maximum mechanical discharge disadvantage, paused, and limiting muscle recruitment.

If you can bench 225 feet up with a pause at the bottom that is stranger.

Rippy’s hip drive is pretty good tbqhwym8s.

It’s too hard to progress without some sort of drive considering the inefficiency of the starting position of the elbows. But adding a bit of leg to it is very hard to reign in. The amount you “cheat” could easily progress from a little jump to something like a power clean. Rip’s hip drive, on the other hand, has a pretty hard limit. There’s only so far you can drive the hips forward and back without arching your back, keeping the movement honest.

symmetricstrength.com/standards#/

Here you go, just insert your weight and age.

do they count the bar?

if you press the bar you're doing more than 90% of "gymgoers", if you're doing a pl8 for 10 you're pretty strong to most "gymgoers" if you do 80 for 10 you're pretty strong

Shit form probably and/or weak neural efficiency. If you have the arm and shoulder strength to bench 225, you should have the strength to press at the very least 135. If you haven't already, watch as many different ohp tutorials as possible. They're all saying basically the same though
>slightly outside shoulder-width grip so your arms are perpendicular to the bar
>flare lats, make a shelf for your arms for stability
>big chest, don't let your elbows go in front or behind the bar, keep your elbows under the bar
>move your head back out of the way before pressing
>once the bar has passed your head, stick your head forward and press the bar straight up, not in front of you, not behind you

If only you were connected to the internet and opened symmetricstrength.com ...
>5'9''
>165 lbs
69 lbs x 10 is "novice" for your weight. The "Bodybuilding, IFBB Fitness Division" is 173 lbs and arguably this should be your target weight. You're welcome, and enjoy the ride, manletto

age isn't really relevant
>is 173 lbs
*goal weight for your height is 173 lbs

>bench 110kg
>ohp 85kg (100% strict form)
What does this mean

that you bench with your deltoids and with the clavicular head of the pecs while the sternalis is absolutely underdeveloped compared to shoulders?

I do 4x10 with 75lbs including barbell.
It gets a good pump but im scared to push myself.i dislocated my shoulder in highschool and broke it in france.

I believe my bench set up is pretty good though (Scapula retracted and upper back dug into the bench). Side note, also really weak on incline dumbbell press(which my shoulders are also really retracted on). Even though I do it after heavy bench/lighter ohp or heavy ohp/lighter bench I still feel like 22-24kg for sets of 8-10 is pretty weak. Can you make any more conclusions from this added info?