What's Veeky Forums's opinion on Mark Rippetoe?

What's Veeky Forums's opinion on Mark Rippetoe?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/incerto/surgeons-should-notlook-like-surgeons-23b0e2cf6d52
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a meme

Only popular because beginners on the internet recommend him to other beginners

who

He’s projecting his own fatness onto his book and students.

probably the biggest wannabe alpha male I have ever seen

He's decent
>Makes fine programs, especially for beginners
>Has good advice if you follow it properly
>Is a bit memeish and narrow sighted
>Doesnt explain certain things, just states them
All in all i think he gives out reasonable advice

newfag

Would you call Mark a manlet?

x1000

>all this jelly

rip is most definitely alpha

He's fine, and still stronger than 99% of the idiots on this board that talk shit about him despite being a broken and over the hill.

Knows nothing. Terrible form advice. No knowledge of how to actually lift. Fucked me up permanently because I actually read and listened to his book.

Fat, useless, worthless cunt. I'm glad he's fading from relevance.

If the Mulldog himself follws the teachings of Rippetoe, then what right does a cumboy like me have to disagree

Story?

NEVER HEARD OF HER

I bought into low bar Rippetoe-style squats and spent a year of wasted time trying to implement them. Ended up injuring myself following his form advice.

sounds like you didnt read the book properly

3/10

Rippetoe speaks his mind and isn't afraid of profanity, so most people either hate him or love him.

He's extremely dogmatic in his views on how to train and few things are up for discussion. This can seem like a stupid attitude to have, when you consider the fact that in truth, the real answer to almost any fitness related question is that "it depends". However, the problem with elaborate for/against answers is that this kind of information can be hard to put into practice. Ask Rippetoe on the other hand and you'll have no doubts what to do. You get very practical advice, but it comes at the cost of missing some details as well as different perspectives. You can hate it or love it.

Since you're asking my personal opinion, what I like about Mark Rippetoe is that he's immensely experienced and this in the right context. When it comes to fitness, it can be nigh impossible to filter good information from total bullshit, marketing scams and bro science from people whose results have come 90% from a syringe. So when someone like Rippetoe who's personally coached hundreds - maybe even thousands - of beginners talks, you better believe it's not going to be bullshit. That doesn't mean you have to take it all as gospel or that there aren't other legit ways of doing things, or even that his advice is going to work for YOU at all. But it's not bullshit.

Regardless, you don't ever want to rely on one single source of information. There is always more than one good perspective on things. I like hearing Rippetoe's perspective, but I do whatever the fuck I want.

>Ended up injuring myself following his form advice
You got injured doing low bar squats, and later figured out that you could squat in a different way without aggravating the previous injury.

Saying that Rippetoe's form advice injured you is not a valid conclusion at all.

In fact, I don't even think you've thought it through, user. There is nothing that indicates a higher risk of injury with low bar squatting compared to any other way of squatting. If anything, I'd wager fewer people coached to squat the way that hurt you get injured compared to people who just try to figure it out on their own. But that's just a guess.

Also,
>knows nothing
>no knowledge of how actually lift
Guess that's why he went ahead and wrote the world's #1 most popular book on how to do it then? Do you realize how fucking stupid you sound? You don't have to agree with what he's saying, user, but come on. Take some fucking responsibility for getting hurt rather than pull this crap.

By fixing my squat form, using high bar and more importantly, the correct cues (Rippetoes form advice, including his cues, are totally off, and lead to injury, or a bad squat at best), I have managed to attain a very decent total without any injuries whatsoever. This is in a quicker time than years of fucking around using Rippetoe's advice.

He's shit. His form advice is shit. He doesn't know anything about anatomy, he doesn't know how to squat, he doesn't know how to cue the squat. 'Hip drive' : perfect example of his lack of knowledge. Fuck that stupid fat fuck. Fuck him.

>He's shit. His form advice is shit. He doesn't know anything about anatomy, he doesn't know how to squat, he doesn't know how to cue the squat. 'Hip drive' : perfect example of his lack of knowledge.

I think what you mean to say is "I don't agree with him". And just for the record, I'm totally cool with you disagreeing with him, and I don't agree with everything he's saying myself. But don't be like that, man.

Also, sounds like you've misunderstood what a "cue" actually is.
A cue isn't an instruction on how to perform an exercise.
A cue is a cue to change an individual's performance of an exercise to make it look more like how it is supposed to look like.
See the difference?

It's not that I don't agree with him. It's that his form advice is dangerous and ignorant of actual human biomechanics. He should be arrested.

>Running is bad for you
>any adult male should be at least 200 lbs
>Climate change is a hoax
>Any adult older than 25 will have a slipped or bulging disc on an MRI

His fucking ego and his cult tier followers are very annoying

>his form advice is dangerous and ignorant of actual human biomechanics
According to who?
Not trying to be a dick by the way, I'm curious. Although I don't see it like you do.

>Stretching should be avoided under any circumstance"
>The cure to back pain is always to get stronger lol

he's legit retarded, americans have this issue with ironically worshipping retards, but then the ironic part goes aways and they worship them period

see rich, trump rip

>Rippetoes form advice, including his cues, are totally off, and lead to injury

Cues are not universal. Different cues will correct different issues and that is why you are best off being taught cues by a coach in person, rather than from a video.

Secondly, there is always a bit of scope to personalize your form as not everyone is built the same. There are common elements to effective and safe form though.

A meme, why do you think Veeky Forums is the only place left in the internet that buys into his bs?

StrongLifts is better

There are a few older guys in my gym, likely former powerlifters as they're lifting pretty heavy for their age, and they ALL have this Rippletoe body. Is this the physique you're doomed to as a natty lifter?

Except Rippetoe was juicing back in the day (pic related). It's just called growing old. It happens to all of us, if we're lucky.

That's not Flippletip ffs, it's some Hungarian powerlifter or something.

lmao you fuckin idiot

That's not what the dude on fitmisc told me

You blew it user. Got greedy and over-baited

>(pic related)
>not even Rip
What did he mean by this?

>it's a Veeky Forums takes everything Rip says without context and spins it to make him look bad episode

>narrow sighted

Hm. Let's go down this path a moment.

Strength training (and compound movements) proven repeatedly to be best/efficient for the body.
Then the great rift happens. Joe Weider and butt-bro Schwarzenegger took off to stop the strength stuff and show off their bodies.
Strength training is relegated to the Olympics and essentially forgotten
The bodybuilders achieve great popularity and introduce bodybuilding/fitness to the world
The fitness craze gives rise to runners, (re: Jim Fixx)
Runners give rise to Jazzercise, Richard Simmons
That begets aerobics and spandex
This gives rise to higher use of isolation exercises and the smith machine...but people have already stopped doing legs.
Strength training is just about forgotten by all but a loyal underground of trainers.
Suddenly, a man crests the top of a hill with a barbell casually resting on his left shoulder.
People stuck working out under the tyranny of the lunk alarm look up, squinting their eyes
The man does a 405lb squat out of nowhere (with perfect form)
The women on the thigh abductor machines melt holes in the seat of their yoga pants
...fast forward a bit

Now strength training is marching back.

HIPPP DRAAAAAHVE

>believing in anything what miscers say

Not rip but fuuuuarrrrkkkk was this guy thick

>taking a year to learn what most are able to learn in a 30 minute session

Holy shit reasonable thought, do you know where you are right now?

mark over the hill?
mark will never be over the hill!

Not in the car he drives!

Don't know why i'm making dad jokes... its too early

Love him
>good sense of humor
>explains stuff well
>teaches good form

Trying to lead by example. It's futile, I know.

genuinely made me laugh, thank you

How new?

But seriously, I got stronger through SS, so I'm grateful to him.

He knows how to get people strong. Fast. His program is really fucking good and if you want to lift just do his program.

Seems kind of like that is true.

Top quality post

>HIPPP DRAAAAAHVE
This.

this is the most leddit shit i've read all week, enjoyed it though tbqh.

>Reverse image search
>Roger Estep

I really, really, really like this post

Knows more about training novices than anyone on this Hmong poetry board.

I hate this mentality so much.
>if you try to succeed at something, like being funny, it's Reddit
Do you understand, on Veeky Forums of all boards, how dumb it sounds to chastise people for making an effort? Even if we stick to being funny, by your logic every comedian to ever live was Reddit because they were trying to be funny instead of accidentally and effortlessly being funny. Every successful strength athlete and bodybuilder is Reddit. Every working professional is Reddit. Writers and artists are Reddit. Filmmakers are Reddit.

You've castigated every field of human endeavor as Reddit, leaving what for Veeky Forums? I guess we are supposed to have the monopoly on being cynical, bumbling idiots who accidentally get it right sometimes and that makes us superior to the rest of the planet? No wonder people like you are obsessed with being NEET and resent every other human being you see. Fuck off with this dumb shit. Think about what you're saying for even a second before you shitpost jfc.

awful deadlift advice

Good at training beginners. Beyond that there's better options for people to listen to. If you actually do what he says you'll blast right through the novice stage.

Don't discount that he might have been parroting words read elsewhere on this sturgeon egg trading board.

Not even a Rippetoe fanboy, but are you sure you didn't preform the exercise incorrectly? I don't understand how lowbar squats in and of themselves would cause injury

This meme is going too far

He is the world's foremost expert on training novice lifters, and he's forgotten more about lifting than anyone on this board has ever known

He may not be right 100% of the time, but nobody on Veeky Forums is qualified to debate anything he says.

If you disagree with Rippetoe, link us up to the books YOU'VE written on the subject, and then maybe we will consider your view.

One of the few people who actually gives a shit about teaching noobs with proper explanations instead of just going "do this, I don't got to explain shit"

He's under 6'5 so yes

He literally unfucked an entire generation in barbell training, to call him a meme is fucking retarded and you need to shoot yourself.

medium.com/incerto/surgeons-should-notlook-like-surgeons-23b0e2cf6d52