/fast/ #134 I dont remember the thread number edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0
While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/6k9u07/78day_check_in/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

this is completely optional

Hey friends, planning on breaking my first fast at 120 hours tonight. Any sick refeeding tips?

You should be good just to break it without anything special. I broke a 194 hour fast last week with 1300 calories worth of bacon eggs and sausage. No issues.

A 6 egg omelette with shitloads of veggies, avocadoes and a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter is my favourite. Prepare to be fatigued during the digestion process though, not even sitting on the computer, put on some show or movie, get a chill bottle of water relax.

Thats kind of what I was thinking, that or maybe some other sort of keto meal.

I'm thinking of eating during the weekend and fasting during the week. Is that the worst idea ever?

>hit new setpoint low yesterday & refeed during the day. officially restart fast
>end up eating bread & shit at work because I was feeling pissed at my boss

Fuck. Two steps forward one step back. It's not even the fact that I ate a second time on my refeed day - honestly at this point I'm getting close enough to my GW & working out enough that I could probably benefit from widening my food intake time on eating days. It's the fact that I ate for emotional reasons & prolonged this semi-conscious pattern of hurting myself to get back at "the world".

Well fuck it, only thing to do is to get back on the grind. It's not like I hard binged or anything. I'll probably still hit the target again by Sunday at the latest.

YES I want that glorious food coma, I'm planning on eating my meal around 8 PM tonight, and watching some King of the Hill.

Honestly, between what I hear about the fatigued digestion and the chilliness I've experienced this week while fasting, snake diet might be the comfiest diet there is.

Reviewbrah still looking sharp

No. Actually is a fine idea. Fasting 5 eating 2 is a good and manageable plan for weight loss, health, and social life.

Fatty here on day 6 of first 5:2 OMAD 750kcal + Snake Juice fast. Sedentary job, drinking 1.5L of snake juice + 5 cups of coffee a day and feeling great, but urine getting darker by the day.

Do I need to up my liquids or is this normal during fast?

Start drinking water without salts in it if your urine is dark

Then prepare for the best coma of you life, it's a spiritual experience.

drink some reg water
have some green tea

If I'm fasting how big should my one meal be. I'm about 6'6 205 lbs but I just wanna fast to lose my bf then hit the clean bulk with a low enough bf to see abs

Day 5 here for the first time. I'm still hungry lads, please help.

That's what I was thinking! I can get some decent fasting in during the week, but still go out at have my social life on the weekend. If I have nothing going on then I can add an extra day of fasting or do OMAD on the weekend.

Finished my first 24hrs, was easy af since i did long time IF anyway.

Gonna eat now because my muscles are sore af from working out. Next time i have a week off the gym gonna shoot for 3 days.

Your body should be getting plenty of energy off ketosis by now. So any hunger is mostly your fucked up hormones adjusting.

SO can someone confirm that tea, coffee and sparking water are okay while fasting?

I had a LaCroix yesterday and I was up .4 pounds this morning and I have a feeling that had something to do with it.

i want to do this
5 days of water fasting and 2 days of 2 meals a day sounds good
i want this because my omad has stalled

IM
HUNGY
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

how many people here do dry fasting? Really interested in the expedidated autophagy and other benefits. I had trouble finding studies specifically relating to dry fasting, but tons of anecdotal evidence. Thinking of trying for 2 days

eat some coffee
water coffee and tea are fine
read the label of all drinks , dont drink it if artificial sweeteners are there

i think stevia might be ok , anyone else here know ?

>eat some coffee
snekman says coffee is bad though

Stevia spikes insulin like other artificial sweeteners, at least according to snakeman.

He’s wrong.

After I loose more weight I'm definitely going to try some dry fasting, my skin is shit tier and I hope that will help solve some of my issues.

>dry fasting

I tried a 72 h dry fast almost two seeks ago (first fast ever for that matter)
It wasn't difficult, I just had to avoid food videos and food in general. I didn't have much trouble with hunger, I just felt a little hungry at the hours I used to eat. The most difficult part for me was to deal with stress, since eating is a stress relief (even tho I don't overeat)

snekman and some studies, they show mixed results

>dry fasting

Kind of what I figured, Cole is a little too crazy to be right 100% of the time.

I still wouldn't take artificial sweeteners during a fast tho
Mixed results means no one is 100% sure if this happens or not, or if it will happen in your case
Also he said about a girl who fucked her fast and wasn't losing weight because she chewed gum, idk

Yeah I'm avoiding sweeteners. LaCroix clams to have none so I figured it was okay but now I'm not so sure.

thanks friend, the coffee helped

Coffee is pretty good at blunting hunger, even for a 350-lb fatt fucc like me. Not only is it good, it's consistently good, too. There's some disagreement as to whether coffee inhibits autophagy but most of the people who actually perform experiments and studies tend to find that it doesn't.

I use this stuff called Medaglia D'oro, it's an instant coffee brand so I don't have to fiddle around with a bunch of equipment when cravings come on. The brand is a little more expensive than most instant coffees (less expensive than the Starbucks Via packets though) but it tastes the best out of all the instant brands I've tried.

Give it a try but also bear through some hunger so you can be strong for your waifu

thanks for the info. i actually love black coffee and tend to drink a fuckton of it, but i was under the impression that it was a bad idea to drink while fasting, so i've been staying away from it

drinking too much of it wont fuck with my electrolyte balance, will it? i've been drinking 1 liter of snake juice. would 2 cups of coffee be fine, you think?

also,
>even for a 350-lb fatt fucc like me.
best of luck in your fasting adventures, buddy

just do gerolsteiner

I drink A LOT more than 2 cups of coffee a day and don’t have any issues.

good to hear. i generally drink a shitload also, but i figured 2 sounded like a safe bet. thanks again m8

I usually fast Saturday-Tuesday, and I am donating blood on Monday, should I skip the fast this week or donate in a fasted state? I'm driving there so that factors in

if you are 350 it's very likely that you don't even need to replace electrolytes, it's more for leaner people who have been fasting for a long time and do extended fasts.

your body can store minerals and electrolytes for a long long long time

of course this differs from person to person so do as you feel you need to. coffee will just make you piss more meaning that you will be more easily dehydrated

Hey, I am 17 years old and I live with my mom.
I am kinda fat (85kg) and I also dont have that much muscle since I stopped practicing handball a year ago.
I wanna try fasting, but I feel like my family wont let me not eat.

Any tips for convincing my parents to let me fast, I feel like even facts wont cut it, thanks

>Hey, I am 17 years old
careful, you'll probably get a ban for that. might want to delete your post.

anyway, i would say the best thing that you could do is just point to multitude of people that have fasted for long periods of time and clearly dont die or have any ill effects. desu you may just be better off waiting till you're on your own, or doing a regular old calorie restricted diet. unless you're an omega manlet, you don't sound terribly overweight, so it wouldnt take terribly long to lose. it's a pain in the cock to do any sort of diet if you live with and get shit provided to you by your parents, and they don't support the diet. if possible, you could always just start it without them knowing, and when you haven't dropped dead in 3 days let them know what you're up to

Sick, thank you :D

Is the 16-8 fasting method useful or a meme?

Do I need to be fasting or OMAD+ lifting. I know I’m not real lean. Been lifting since November

You need to eat and lift.

its not a meme
do it if you can

Still kinda feel like I’m around 20% BF. I’m at 187lbs down from 225lbs. Anyone have an estimate?

did you use to be obese

BMI says I’m obese now. I think I cut poorly. At 215lbs I could do more pull ups than I can now but definitely couldn’t see my abs at all.

You’re obviously not obese.

I bet you tell all the user’s that

you look pretty lean to me. If you want to be absolutely shredded do some fasting otherwise I'm sure OMAD will work well for you.

How can intermittent fasting effect blood pressure? Few months ago my BP was around 140/75, so I started losing weight and increasing activity. For the past 2 weeks I've been measuring around 115/65. Started intermittent fasting this week, and for the first time in weeks saw over 130? Am i fucking up my bp?

>Hey, I am 17 years old... I am kinda fat (85kg)
Extended fasting is for adults with no hope who have been obese for over a decade as the only hope they have for reversing long-term hormone imbalances and reducing loose skin

If you want the biggest chance of success then show them something like Intermittent Fasting, OMAD or multi-day fasts aren't likely to go over well. If they freak out, just drop the subject and do calorie restriction instead. In fact, if you build up discipline from voluntarily maintaining good habits like calorie restriction and exercise, you'll end up better than a lot of people in the long run. A lot of people who do well in high school will eventually fall off the wagon because they don't have parents and teachers pushing them (and because we all make mistakes) and since they don't have experience getting back on the wagon under their own power they just don't for some reason

Finished 72 hours fast small refeed x2
Now at 48th hour of the 3rd fast and feeling weaker than ever. Will this pass or what?

Are avocados going to be the best thing to break a fast with?

looks like 12%

It will pass. Going past 72 hours makes everything better.

Alright, but I'll haunt you if I die

iv been fasting 23 hours each day so im basically just doing omad with a 800 calorie limit and im usually just filling up my plate with chicken and ground beef with bacon and mozzarella cheese all over it. what i come to you guys for is what the fuck is the actual point of omad and intermittent fasting with keto? do i burn more body fat by not eating for 23 hours+carb restriction?? iv got to say im feeling not hungry like at all even when its time to eat and im feeling cut up

>Mom's trying to lose weight
>talk to her about fasting
>"Oh I used to do a bread & water fast every Friday when I was younger"
>a day where you just eat bread

how did baby boomers make it this far

there's a reason social security exists. There's a reason the medical industry has been able to get so bloated and corrupt.

Baby boomers had kids so they could all, collectively pay for their medical bills.

Shut up, faggot.

Ok

No, not really. Be my boyfriend.

any success stories of actual fatasses fasting until they're not?

why do you need an example to tell you that if you don't eat food, you will drop weight? Keep dropping enough weight and you will like-literallyyy not be a fatass.

>how did baby boomers make it this far

unsustainable and unprecedented economic prosperity never before seen in the history of mankind

reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/6k9u07/78day_check_in/

>inb4 reddit

Wasn't a real fatass to begin with, but here's mine I guess. Difference is maybe 30-ish lbs. Don't really know my starting weight, I just winged it. Just started lifting the other day, I'm tired of being a lazy slob.

Stevia and pretty much anything that even tastes sweet spikes insulin, regardless of whether it has calories or not. They did a study where they had people swish different types of drinks around in their mouth and then spit it out without swallowing. They tried sugary drinks like Coca-Cola, and also drinks that had Stevia in them with zero calories, as well as drinks with other artificial sweeteners. The insulin level spike in everyone.

So your body doesn't even need to consume the calories. Once it tastes the sweetness, your body is expecting the calories to hit your stomach and so it spikes your insulin accordingly to get ready for it

>tfw nature finds a way to fuck you over yet again

not me . 8 months of omad

Tried a 3-day fast a couple of weeks ago, but stupidly went shopping for food and ended it after 40 hours or so.

Started again starting Tuesday at noon, planning to end it after 5 days. For my second attempt I'm pretty happy about it, looking forward to ketosis kicking in.

not fat btw

starting weight and height?

desu i think 2 meals a week is the best for people who truly love food

I'm on week three right now I only eat on saturday and sunday

I wonder how far a person could push the fasting if they got down to single digit BF% & trained regularly. Could you adapt to eating a fuckton of food over the course of one day, and then not eating again for the rest of the week? I'd need to be eating more than 20,000 calories on that one day...

long time faster here. You're stomach shrinks so when you do eat you wont be able to consume that much if you tried.

Figured...This is what I'm finding already, even just adapting to alternating 48s & 72s. I'm having trouble eating the amount of food I could knock back for a joke on OMAD, unless I spread it out over a 12 hour period. This is fine for right now because I still have a good 10-15 pounds of fat to knock off my body, but when I get lean I'm likely going to need to dial the fasting back a bit instead of trying to ramp up the caloric intake.

Maybe if you're a massive fatso and can't stop stuffing yourself.

I love food and I eat 2 to 4 times a day.

not fat btw

>be fat as a kid
>bullied
>funny guy, hot girls that I pursue friend zone me
>now fit
>insecurities from childhood prevent me from pursuing any girl, even ones in my league
Fuck :(
I want this girl so badly but I feel that she will reject me
I just want to drop all my inhibitions and go for it

Also, completed first 48 hour fast. Felt good.

>82-84ish kg with ~18-19% BF

if I fast once a week and eat around maintenance (i.e. just go to bed hungry), could I realistically drop to ~80 in 2 months?

just go for it man . I asked a 10/10 out and she rejected me but It made my confidence boost like no tomorrow.

The issue is that I see this girl everyday. A rejection would make daily life incredibly awkward (albeit I only see her for 45 minutes a day)

how old are you now? i went through similar, and eventually reached a point where some of the more proactive girls who had previously (actual friend)zoned me started giving opportunities so obvious even someone like me felt confident enough to make a move. Once that happens to you it starts getting way easier to see yourself as someone who can get with girls, and start making moves on all the ones who act more distant.

you're in no better position now than you'll be if you asked . just start off small and ask if she has snapchat or something just to see her reaction and youll be able to gauge if she's interested.

18, senior in HS. I have more status than this girl, for sure. But she acts very quiet and distant when I talk to her. She is nice to me, so I don’t think she outright hates me, but I want her to open up to me more.

The user who is doing OMAD + NOFAP still here?

planning on a 5-7 day fast once work slows down a bit soon. Skip the gym that week and just gonna go water, coffee. Should be okay desu ka

1. How are you checking BP
2. If you see a consistent upward trend then it's time to worry. One single measurement isn't enough to worry about.

>broke my ankle round christmas
>ended up back at parents house because crippled
>can now put weight on the ankle
>moved back into my own home
>physio starting soon

Should I avoid fasting since I need to build muscle? The leg I haven't been using is visibly thinner, the muscle loss wasn't kind

No one has the same circumstances in life. Work with what you got and improve in the areas you want to.

You have the ability to get in shape, while most dudes will be clueless as to what to do when they start fattening up. (This will help you getting some with their wives in later game if you so choose)

Start working on your game asap. Talk to girls more, in any and all contexts, not just as a prelude to sex. You'll become more confident around them. Realize that advancing with women isn't as grandiose a fantasy as might be in your head.

Also understand that women ain't shit. You know why they never approach men and also take an hour of preparation to feel comfortable enough to go outside? They have shit self-esteem

Yeah. I’m just gonna have to grab life by the balls and go for it. The problem really lies in getting in a 1 on 1 situation with this girl.

you may as well describe your situation as you got like 3 people responding to you.

I'm going to imagine it's a girl at your gym?

They are extremely useful for that yes. Pretty much any fatty low carb meal should work.

>not fat
ok