Holy shit

holy shit

+1

woah
powerfull

I can't find anything to disagree with their

those em dashes are triggering me

fuck me, does lettuce really cost a dollar in the states?

What book is this?

Book?

the enchiridion by epictetus

/r/Stoicism/ for more of this content

it's reddit, but it's good.

Yeah no shit. Don't be jealous of people wow groundbreaking

This but unironically

he is paying for lettuce in dollars not drachma?

I dig it. Basically economics applied to social interactions.

>muh hard work
Protestantism was a mistake.

Take it from a German: Hard work by itself is useless and ineffective. Unhealthy, too. Cortisol, etc.

>everybody is created equal

someone who loves being in the spotlight that asks for a party invitation pays the same price as someone who gets horribly nervous even at the thought of this but still would really like to be at the party

doesn't really add up to me, someone explain

You completely missed the point if that was your takeaway

Cool story, pal

>asks for a party invitation
Sup virgin

We are born equal, not the same

I thought about things like this, but then I realized that whatever I saved by not talking to people or trying in school or whatever was worthless anyway. Not like I have to save calories or precious words. In reality this paragraph is just sour grapes

the person who loves being in the spotlight places a different amount of value on being social than the socially nervous guy

there's also every likelihood that the nervous guy only wants to be at the party because he thinks he wants to be at the party, when in reality all the stuff that happens at a party would be stuff that makes him nervous

you mean obulus retard?

not a virgin but you got me there pal. but you get my point

>whatever I saved by not talking to people or trying in school or whatever was worthless anyway
Not epictitties fault you applied his teachings entirely wrong.

Wow

I am shaking

I don't want friends though but I have them because those friends are the ones who want friends. I blow them off all the time though. The point I'm making is that sometimes, the price of friendship is comped.

Explain to me how we are born equal. There are so many factors that are decided when you're born, including certain limitations. Others may be born with the same, less or even more set limitations (talking about hard limitations here like disabilities and other physical traits). So how are we born equal? Obviously not from a moral standpoint speaking

fucking normie logic, REEEE
a popular person who was raised properly and looks good makes 10 friends with effort equal to effort I have to put to ask someone what time is it

whats the price to pay to not be a manlet

And in the scenario that they both would get the same statisfying expierience out of the party? The cost would still be different for the same outcome

If you didn't get invited to the party, it's because you thought the cost was too high.

Overcoming your fear of social interactions might have been the cost you were unwilling to pay.

kill everybody thats taller than you and burn all evidence of you not being the tallest guy that ever lived

And if you pay that cost?

It was still higher than what other people 'paid' that potentially got the same joy out of the party

Or am I just thinking to logical here for my own good

>babby's first enchiridion
baka

No you're very right. It's a question of economics.

If it takes you $20 to buy an apple and your friend can buy the same apple for $5, he's likely to have more apples than you. You might instead buy a pear with that money/effort instead.

It's the same with social situations. It might take you four times the effort as your friend to get a girlfriend of the same quality. You might to l think it's still worth it or you night do something different with your time and effort, like get fit so future girlfriends cost less, or masturbate and play videogames.

Wouldn't working so much towards a better looking girl not just inflate the cost and make getting her next to worthless in comparison to a decent girl that would take you way less effort?

But thats just diving too deep into that. What I was trying to say, in a clearly biased playfield it is a complete waste of time to compare yourself to such a degree with other people. The only person in that matter is yourself and the only person you should actively compare yourself to is your past self. Use other people as reference but never to actually measure yourself against them. Thats why books like these are kind of beyond me, I guess the philosophy can motivate some but the more you think about it the more brittle it gets. But maybe it's just not my kind of thang ya know

*in this that matters

t.brainlet my bad

>socializing
I prefer my comfy room and Veeky Forums's company

>the more you think about it the more brittle it gets
That would be the signs of bad philosophy.

I think the point if there allegory is that you shouldn't complain you don't have things when you haven't paid for them. It might cost you more or less than someone else, but you're the one who ultimately decided the cost was too high.

at my HEB it costs 79 cents for the cone style lettuce, and like 1.35 for a head of iceberg

oh god I thought that bubble was her large, piggish snout. weirding me out my dude

they wouldn't get the same satisfaction out of going though, because one enjoys being social whereas the other one doesn't

>how you percieve cost is subjective

Wouldn't percieving the cost as less automatically lower it anyway?

Really depends on whether you want to look at things from the outside ( a more logic based perspective where cost never changes) or from the inside of the people involved (cost is relative to how the person percieves it). I get that the core message is that complaining about not getting something for free that someone else paid for is a waste of time and effort but the example used in the book just doesn't seem like a good one to me

we are not born equal.

Not every social interaction is equal so it's still in the realm of possibilities that the enjoyment would be the same

(But it was more a 'let's say this is the situation at hand' hypothesis kind of deal anyway)

>Wouldn't percieving the cost as less automatically lower it anyway?
Yes. That's how economics works. You make every decision based on how much you value the cost and how much you value the return.

The example isn't great. Unless it was meant to spark discussion, in which case it's working great.

This. Everything is guided by nature and nurture.

>Unless it was meant to spark discussion

And we brainlets thought we were in charge of the situation, it was a ruse all along. A very enjoyable ruse but a ruse non the less

All I know is that I know nothing.

>epictetus
the most over-rated philosopher ever

that said, I fail to see how this is supposed to be fitness-related. is that way, you know

>the most overrated philosopher
>0.001 percent of the population knows who he is

the most overrated philosopher is probably sartre

then I am confident that I know at least twice as much

I got some sick finger gains from typing and mind gains from solving captchas.

Nah but I guess this thread was more a mental exercise and mindset thread. Not that fitness related but a nice change of pace from the

>GO INTO THE GYM HEAR
>NIGGA GOT A STIFFY

threads and such