Give me a better abs exercise

Give me a better abs exercise.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=M7zM9_-TxCc
youtu.be/SDIo8L89afk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This with streched legs

these are good but don't target the lower abs enough.
need to do proper leg raises with this and you're good.

Extend your legs, for one

>training your abs

Ab wheel.

have fun with your spinal injuries

this

I recently did these for the first time, 2x10. Holy fuck.

Then I also got an ab wheel. Double holy fuck.

I'm going to do this and use the ab wheel both, for a while. But holy fuck.

>implying your abs dont work during heavy compound exercises

Yeah these are surprisingly effective.

not nearly as much as they do with isolation exercises
do you also do rows when you want to build your biceps?

They do, but they can lag behind. Sometimes it's worth isolating areas if they are your weak point in a lift. You will understand this when you lift heavier weights.

My squat stalled because of core instability. It got better when I added abs exercises.

This is such a stale meme lmao.

actually isolation exercises for arms are irrelevant and yes i do rows when i build my bicepis

Do leg raises to failure then immediately superset with knee raises

D R A G O N F L A G S

Seated pike lift.

>actually isolation exercises for arms are irrelevant

hanging isnt good, too much swinging

I fucking hate this exercise
I always end up with my shoulder getting sore before my abs.

better doing reverse-crush

I usually just do front squats and planks, I'll give this a try though, thanks

Sometimes I like to switch it up and do both in one set. I find it helps you stop swinging cause you have to focus on the movement more not just throwing your legs up and down.

>tucked front lever raise
full front lever raise and icecream makers are way better

shit back or scapula retraction

shit shoulders

added ankle straps and a chain through a 20lb kettle ball.

>shit shoulders
i'm pretty sure when you are above a certain weight it's more tiring for the shoulders than efficient for the abs.
What's your weight ?

unless I have shit shoulder

170lbs and can do 1 arm hangs for 20s, your shoulders need a strong hanging foundation

front squat holds.

take your FS 1RM, add 50lbs and stand with it above the J hooks until you feel your back almost in danger.

This

thirded

i'm 176lb ~20%bf
i'm used to do pull-up, but doing hanged reverse crunches above a dozen of rep is inconfortable (shoulder and trying to stabilize myself and not balancing) and I don't feel my abs working as well as doing them lying prone.

I like to go full ROM and touch my feet to the bar.
2-3 sets of 10-15 reps is killer

Can I do them weighted? Does it help at all? Should the added weight be put on the legs only?

>t. squat 135
>t. ohp 85
>t. deadlift 225

pounds

why not just L Sits?

Dragon Flags, L-Sits, Toes-to-bar holy trinity

oh jeez, that might be it :D

Yah this thing is the bomb and has a ton of carry over.

The most effective exercise I've found is a self-made crunches + v-holds superset routine. I do 10-20 crunches, then switch to a v-hold for 10-20 seconds, then do this again for 4 more sets. That, l-sits, and Russian twists are the only things I do for my abs. I've tried hanging knee/leg raises, but I can never seem to eliminate the momentum to my liking, so I don't bother with them anymore.

Pikes are in the l-sit family. So are hanging leg raises.

why am i not making progress with front lever advanced single leg fl for half an year now, straight arm no pike at hip

m.youtube.com/watch?v=M7zM9_-TxCc

ghd situps :^)

weighted dips

Winner

fork putdowns
rest are inferior

These two plus hanging knee/leg ups are my routine

youtu.be/SDIo8L89afk

I do level 3 and 2, then level 1 with some more difficult excercises. After that I do planks.

>go back a progression (advanced tuck fl) and accumulate some serious volume on that
>one leg front lever raise
>inverted hang to fl to inverted hang
these helped me a lot to go from advanced tucked to one leg

I want to go from advanced one leg to full front lever. I can hold an advanced tuck fl for nearly a minute even though I never train endurance. I do low reps, short holds. I can't do a one leg front lever raise, without piking a little at the hips.

>inverted hang to fl to inverted hang
that's like ridiculously hard. I can't stop myself from falling. Maybe if I do like pic related I can do the red thing, but I can't do the green thing. I haven't trained this btw.

Weighted decline sit ups and holds. Hold a weight above your head and do 10-15 reps then hold your torso mid crunch. Hold for 10-20 secs until you can’t any more. Then drop the weight to the floor and rep out as many crunches as you can. Do 3-5 sets of this. Keep your core tight and don’t rely on your back muscles.

Reverse planks while holding a dumbbell in between your feet.

Dragon flags and L-sits are going to be too hard for people esp people overweight or who have weak wrists. Ab wheel with knees on the floor or planks are good ones to start besides crunches.

Underrated af

Fell for this meme and now my core is fucking weaker than dyel

How does this exercise your core?

>tfw I was able to do dragon flags with perfect form but then stop because it looked ridiculous at my uni gym

Still have the strongest abs there but holy shit do I miss them

Deadlifts, OHP and squats

Straight leg is better
Then landmines for obliques

You're pretty much set with that. Although I also do dragon flags for fun. Holding yourself vertical is hard as balls.

> looked ridiculous at my uni gym
They look awesome what are you smoking
>giving up fun for other people
What a fag.

Don't listen to this post you reader
Don't be memed
Bought one being rolling it for months and got the same results as if I did planks
Futhermore as other user said overdoing it can fuck your back badly

Best psoas exercise, yeah.

Post arms big boy

only if you're doing it wrong

do you want side to side hip movement when squatting big weights?

Renegade rows.

I personally use this cable pull down thing and i shove my ass under that pad to brace myself, use a lat pull down bar attachment and hold it supinated behind your neck then use your abs to pull down to touch your knees with your elbows or whatever rom you want.
i like using this pad because i can brace myself and do heavy weights without making my feet go up (i only weigh 170lbs)
i also like doing this because i don't like lying down all the time for abs
i also do the declined bench dumbbell abs crunches
use two dumbbells and when you get fatigued drop one of them and continue then drop the last one and do more
the cable one is my favorite though because it doesn't strain my back like the decline one does

forgot pic

They aren't. Abs =/= core. Other than maybe OHP, big lifts don't really hit your abs. It's a fucking meme.

Window wipers

Obliques aren't abs. Your mid and lower back?? Not abs. If we want to get a little more liberal we can include your traps, rhomboids, glutes, and neck muscles.

These are all "the core". This is why people say big lifts work "the core" more than ab isolation. But they don't work the abs hardly at all. If we're talking about strength at lifting, you don't need ab isolation. If we're talking about wrestling, sports safety, calisthenics, and aesthetics, ab isolation is where it's at. It's how you train your abs.

I forget the study, but it was measured electrically that, despite big compounds working the core more in general, they really didn't work the abs. Pushups were well over twice, maybe three times, as simulating of the abs as squats or deadlifts. Ab isolation was way better than pushups. I'll try to find the study if you still have questions.

ab rollars

>falling for the "compounds cover everything" lazy fuck meme

>shit back or scapula retraction
swinging happens because torque from the hands when your body is upright.
you can reduce the swinging by putting your shoulders at centre of gravity, but it then youre not upright anymore and the vector is not stright up and down

Didn't want to make a separate thread for this question but what kind of muscle is pic related?
And how do you target them?

>overdoing it can fuck your back badly

you're telling me you've been doing this for months and haven't realized back activation means you're doing it wrong? what kind of idiot are you?

go watch a youtube video. it is THE most effective ab workout bar none.

that's bone you fucking idiot

Thanks mr. Skeltal

Very nice

Those are the obliques. If you want a very narrow waist don't train them, but if you just want to be strong then you should. The best training for them would be one-handed lifts with kettle-bells.