/fast/ # 142 - cute autism edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtu.be/APZCfmgzoS0

While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

last

Attached: 1484491748328.png (500x522, 115K)

Can a prolonged fast kill bad gut bacteria?

so jelous of those auschitz dudes those nazis were good at diet plans brio

maybe? "bad gut bacteria" is a massive category.

you should take a probiotic after a very long fast (or any kind of one-dimensional diet desu) because you might lose good bacbros

I hear those guys got a little gassy tho

The thing is the Jews didnt fast auschitz . They would eat potatos and other stuff, but in a very low quantity and quality, so they would never get trully fasting and that fucks people up.

Is dry fasting a meme? How long do you have to go without water to be considered dry fasting?

I'm doing OMAD but my craves in sugar still exists. 48h WF is enough for beating sugar addiction?

Attached: 1504271934096.png (1058x1618, 104K)

dry fasting is gr8 for 48 hours

it's gr8 because you don't need to bother with salt

Just keep going. Dont give in. It will fade with time.

yes and thats a good thing. you can get rid of all the shitty bacteria you have and then start eating fermented foods to instantly gain a healthy gut.

I'm approaching the end of day 8 water fasting and I still crave chocolate. Some things just don't change so easily.
Like the other guy said, exercise some willpower and don't give in.

It's dangerous and completely unnecessary, it's the same tier of meme as making your own crystals from chlorine and ammonia.

i'm still not convinced that you need snake juice for anything under 2 weeks. so many sources saying different things

From personal experience only - I came within inches of fainting while standing for about an hour when I tried fasting without salt. Also had heart palpitations, thought I was dying or something.
Saltwater tastes like shit but if you're going for more than 48 hours you need it.

you sound like a weak bitch desu
i went 10 days on pure water no problem

Cool, I imagine you don't need to stand for very long.

Does tea/coffee break fast?

a gay answer to a gay question

As long as you don't put any milk or sugar you're fine

Can you add in a fat burner in a fast to stave off hungry and burn more fat or is this breaking fast?

Attached: 1520656950730.png (900x900, 1.15M)

Can you add in a fat burner in a fast or does it break fast? It's in capsules is the capsule enough to break fast

Attached: 1520447649165.jpg (316x400, 19K)

>taking retarded cut drugs

Attached: 1486168871333.jpg (872x685, 104K)

Let retards be retards.
I'd rather someone that stupid remain an ugly fatty.

It's a placebo. Stop buying that shit.

True it's most caffeine in those pills. Better drink a coffee.

It was given to me for free.

besides the 12 hours cardio every day and gas

>Trying this again in case someone has more info

Most people here seem to have a definition of ketosis or being ketogenic, that I don't really understand.
Especially when they claim consumption of 500 kcal worth of carbs throws them out of keto and it takes several days to "get into keto" again.

As I understand it the body needs kcal according to TDEE. Various metabolic pathways like lipolysis, glycolysis, fructolysis connects to the chaotic washing machine documented as the krebb's cycle.

When glucose isn't available, ketosis will produce ketones and gluconeogenesis will produce glucose, but since glucose production isn't very efficient and can't produce a lot, cells who can use ketones, will prioritize using ketones, so they leave the glucose to the cells that can't use anything else. (Hence why people sometimes claim ketones is the bodys preferred and "better" food?)

Surplus ketones can be found in the urine (keturia) for reasons I've never found out. Ketones can also be efficiently recycled by the kidneys and in that case you won't find them in your urine even if your body produce a lot of them.

When people claim to be thrown out of ketosis, does it mean the production of ketones stop, and in that case - what energysource is used instead?
Can someone give me a better understanding of the metabolic pathways involved?
And how different people define a broken/functional keto, fast, etc.

what would be a healthier version of this? Fasting, cardio and daily braphog gas to the face?

Ca-can I-I be cutely autistic in this thread, a-anos?

Attached: 093.gif (500x281, 525K)

Sounds like you already know a lot more about this stuff than I do. Just fast man. You think too much.

Attached: {s}={bckslshfrac{2MG}{c^{2}}}}.jpg (387x387, 65K)

Is it true that protein can take you out of Ketosis through Gluconeogenesis? Cause last thread some dude told me it's an old wives tale, except everywhere I look, I'm told the same.

It's definitely a thing, but you need to be eating an excess of protein which can be hard to do.
If you eat 6 chicken breasts every day, that's a problem. 2 or so would be fine though.

What's the excess of protein though? I should be eating 180-200g protein a day, in a normal diet, cause I weigh a little over 200lbs.

There's a pretty knowledgeable namefag that usually hangs around in these threads that might be able to answer you, otherwise the people in here just want to cut, they know fuck-all about the science behind it.

My understanding is that eating carbs triggers a release of insulin, insulin is fat preserving and partially or completely stops ketosis depending on the amount of carbs you eat. By triggering insulin release the process of autophagy will slow considerably, which is bad, you will get hungrier than if you didn't eat, which is bad. As to how it impacts ketosis and what alternate energy sources the body switches to as ketosis slows I don't know, it might possibly break more protein down into glucose than it would in a fasted state. This is all just conjecture though.

Yes, though not nearly as easily as carbs. That's why people here usually recommend to eat fat with moderate protein, and not mainly protein.

I am trying to deplete my carb storage fast.
I want this carb headache to as fast as possible.
Is running everyday and working out while I fast a good way to achieve that?

autism is sad not cute

Yee

>and thats a good thing
buzzfeed pls

Just did my first 48h WF. It felt pretty great for the first 40 hours except when I took my supplements in solid form instead of powder, not doing that again. The last 8 hours were a complete slog, I felt powerless and irritated. I hope that won't happen next time.

Thanks for the answer. I've heard even small amounts of protein can stop autophagy, but then some papers say autophagy is constanly in effect since it makes good use to recycle. So I was wondering if there are more layers, phases and various paths, the more you study it.

For keto, I've never had any problem myself with switching in/out of keto whenever my carbs are depleted, but I suspect my gluconeogenesis production may be a little slow at first until it has been running for a while.
Original question is my attempt to find out if there was some science behind this that could explain it.

It depends, it's a percentage of your TDEE.
You really don't need that much protein, and that much would definitely result in gluconeogenesis.
The recommended protein is 1g protein per pound of lean mass, not total mass. You aren't 200lbs of pure muscle.
You should keep proteins at around 20% of your diet to ensure no gluconeogenesis, though you can likely safely go to 30% and even a little higher. It differs from person to person.

20% of my diet would leave me with only 100g protein, cause I'm cutting. I guess I can go for 30% cause that'd be 150g protein. Either way, I'm gonna try to keep it low then. I only asked cause some dude was saying some shit about how I was wrong, cause I told someone not to eat too much protein cause of the whole gluconeogenisis problem.

>Getting used to doing 36h dry fasts between every meal, with at least one longer water fast per week
>body feels better, food tastes better, getting leaner, face looks younger
>mind feels clear & focused
>so mindful of food that every single thing I eat is strategic
>girls start commenting on how good I'm looking
>mention fasting
>they say they like me better when I'm eating

I don't really give a substantial shit what women think about my life at this point but this has been a curious trend to notice.

Woman want instant gratification.
Fasting and the results are not instant

Sorry if this has been answered before or is the faq, but how do I incorporate lifting three times a week with alternate day fasting, or extended fasting?

I heard its best to exercise right before you break a fast. If I workout tuesdays, thursdays and sundays, when should I fast?

Anything out of peoples habits are weird to them
Few actually try to think about things they dont know

>mention fasting
This was your mistake.

Bu-but I'm cute, user

Yeee!

Attached: 9e1.gif (500x281, 760K)

Oh yeah, also asking what I can do to make the second day less shitty. I'm planning to go for 72h next week.

thought you guys would be interested in this if you havent seen it yet
probably just conjecture, but still is worth a try

Attached: ea08fec31b605bd0fa09e619f0e69f77.jpg (736x618, 42K)

I actually have that page bookmarked. Been really helpful.

Do sodium supplements work as a replacement for snake juice?

yeah go for a jog user
dont lift heavy

I've been lifting 5 years and decided to switch it up on this cut because I hate eating like a bird.

I'm only eating once every other day. It's much easier than forcing myself to eat baby quantities and still wanting more after. Thoughts?

I've been lifting 5 years and decided to switch it up on this cut.

I'm only eating once every other day. It's much easier than forcing myself to eat frequent small quantities and still wanting more after. Thoughts?

i tried fasting a lot back in the day but it made me feel like shit going to the gym, i'm considering going through with the keto diet meme and just eating on work out days which is every week day. so week ends i'd do a 42 hour fast obviously. is this a good or bad idea?

nice dubs faggot
here's another (you)

Attached: coolaids.jpg (250x201, 6K)

Sounds fine, a lot better than your average mainstream diet. I'm doing the opposite to you, resistance training 2 days with food and fasting the other days with cardio.

I'm in 4th day of water fasting and I haven't shat in two days, yesterday and today.
Did I fuck something up?

Attached: 956a41ba665855bb6e9087ef5e5d110d6f423df234ad4612b043d1cff97aac57.jpg (464x480, 115K)

Any good appetite suppressants? Taking ECA but hoping for something herbal or whatever that I can take in the evening to suppress appetite (those late night fast food urges bro) and not keep me up

No what you expecting when you aren't eating any food?

bump

This is what I've been doing, but I'm pretty dyel so I don't know if my opinion counts. I lift 3x a week PPL every other day. I workout just before I break my fast. I've gained 3 lbs so far on OMAD. Don't know if it's muscle glycogen, water in the muscle, or actual muscle. I haven't increased my intake by a lot, but I don't measure meals. I just kinda eyeball it.

so why shouldnt i just do this:
>dirty bulk for as long as i can stand being a fat fuck until I hit 1/2/3/4
>fast for a couple weeks until 13-15% bodyfat
>look better than 99% of the population and be stronger than half of Veeky Forums in much less time than the traditional cut/bulk cycles

almost seems too good to be true. mind you ive done a 102 hour fast and it wasnt that bad, does it get way harder once you do it for over a week?

Why does fasting make me angry? I did a 36 hour fast followed by a 750 calorie day and everything makes me mad.

>If I workout tuesdays, thursdays and sundays, when should I fast?
the other days

do you workout in the mornings?

isn't there a 24 hour protein window, so if i workout on tuesday, i would want to be eating on wednesday?

I have a weird work schedule so it's not set in stone. But typically it's workout, eat, sleep.

i think you should meditate and take cold showers.

Attached: namaste.jpg (480x322, 41K)

Lucky, I just get tired/apathetic and can't enjoy anything.

>so if i workout on tuesday, i would want to be eating on wednesday?
no , if you workout on tues then eat on tues .
i would have a brotein shake or a small meal half an hour before working out and a full meal after.

Low blood sugar

>working out and fasting concurrently
jej

how do you guys prevent binge eating after fasting? My brain does this retarded thing where after I end a fast and start eating again, I justify eating everything by telling myself I'm going to fast it off later, or something dumb like 'this is the last time i'm going to eat junk food'. Of course that's never true. I basically gained back all of the weight I lost from fasting

Can i smoke weed on a fast?

Attached: 1517381237703.webm (768x432, 1.96M)

I know people say you can't lose muscle on a fast, but I seriously cannot believe that you can go on a extended fast (7+) and not work out and not lose any muscle.

If its possible, I would be more than willing to just fast for a long time and not go to the gym ever.

What the fuck is going on here?

Attached: 1511142020205.png (247x239, 17K)

What does /fast/ think of the one meal a day thing. I know it isn't "fasting" but its as close as I can get b/c I cant fast if I end up needing to run around alot and lift shit at work. Also if I end up having the time to lift its the only way to have any strength.

Attached: 1518647854206.gif (320x213, 1.13M)

Attached: 1506695326884.jpg (546x534, 48K)

the theory behind fasting not burning muscle is the process of autophagy which is the process of your body recycling useless or damaged cells in your body (which are made of protein) and converting them into amino acids in place of dietary protein thus preserving muscle mass. This has many health benefits including stopping the growth of cancer cells and making your skin better. This process only occurs/is much more effective after extended periods of not eating. The longevity of this effect in preserving muscle mass i have no idea.

thanks for helping me not want to eat brah

Damn, did I just relapse on my nofap?
IDK why, but stuff with insects gets me hard. I haven't felt like this since that one video where a guy lets an earthworm crawl up his peehole.
I'm unironically diamonds.

Attached: 1515026944477s.jpg (125x119, 3K)

Attached: 1498863018915.png (379x480, 197K)

Does fasting raise test like hgh?
i want to increase it but i don't feel 100% sure if i don't get any nutrients in my system.

Attached: 1513691299087.png (211x239, 6K)

Ok finally getting into this. I'm a lean dude so if be doing omad. Question about supplements. I hate taking them on empty stomach, especially turmeric. Should i just cut those on my fast days?

Attached: 1468128694454.jpg (400x400, 13K)

Attached: 1508459798001.jpg (528x705, 43K)

Who cares what you believe. Do you have any relevant experience?

not specifically, but having less fat raises T

This. Expect to have lower test when on a fast since caloric deficits always lower test and vice versa, but higher test overall when you're not fasting because of lower bf.

thoughts on teriyaki sauce, /fast/? liberally, lightly, or not at all?

I have been thinking about this though, how many damaged cells are there to take resources from? Autophagy can't cover amino acid needs indefinitely, and at what point does the body mark down muscle cells damaged during lifting as "recyclable"?

Will watermelon break my waterfast?

>lower bf
tfw 0 bf