/fast/#145 - Water sucks edition

>What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

>WATCH THIS BEFORE ASKING STUPID QUESTIONS
youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0&feature=youtu.be

While you're at it watch the rest of this guy's videos on nutrition.
>WHY SHOULD I FAST?
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/

>Weight loss
>Better skin
>Autophagy

>WHAT IS AUTOPHAGY?
It's when your body takes apart useless, shitty cells. (Cancer cells, cells with broken protein, acne, loose skin, etc)
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-mtor-autophagy-1/

>FASTING FUCKS TUMOR GROWTH
youtube.com/watch?v=LGafhm1cuSI

>HOW DO I SAFELY FAST?
>take around 4700 mg of potassium per day max
>2000 up to 3000 mg of sodium per day max
>MIX THIS INTO AT LEAST A LITER OF WATER, sip it through the day. This will keep you hydrated.

>HERES WHY YOU ARENT ACTUALLY HUNGRY IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 8% BODYFAT
youtube.com/watch?v=dFT2IKmwyfg

>WHAT SHOULD MY FASTING ROUTINE LOOK LIKE?
If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

>WONT I GO INTO STARVATION MODE AND DIE?!
You don't have the willpower to fast to death. Now look down. See that large bulbous gut? That's food. Thousands and thousands of calories stored and ready to be consumed by your body.

>WONT I LOSE MUSCLE?
This is the coolest part about fasting. Your body remains very anabolic when you fast.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5064803/
"Our results suggest that a fasting program in conjunction with resistance training can decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

>Sugar is more addictive than coke
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23719144

Attached: gaaaaatoraaaaadeeee.jpg (1913x1070, 518K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soilandhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/02/0201hyglibcat/020127shelton.III/020127.ch7.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=VUsRld1K8Eo
thequantifiedbody.net/10-day-water-fast-results/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Been doing OMAD for about three weeks now. Always had a hard time eating at a deficit but OMAD has made it stupid easy. Down about 15 pounds so far from 250 to 235. I'm hoping to hit 215 (overweight, not obese BMI) before my wedding in June and then I'm going to keep going until I hit 170.

Thanks bruvs, we're all gonna make it.

Attached: 1505519824884.gif (350x350, 1.93M)

Anyone have fasting tips for type 2 diabetics? Is it just a horrible idea? I’m very obese.

on my 5th day of a water fast going pretty darn good

You can totally do it by June! I hope you haven't gotten your tux fitted yet, though.

Nope. I have been keeping the weight loss in mind. I just got a suit fitted but we aren't doing any tailoring until 2-3 weeks out. I carry almost all of my weight around my stomach so there should be little impact on my shoulder width.

I mean... for Type 2... As long as your diet / exercise you're cured.

Can't you just fast like the rest of us which should fix your insulin response?

Lads, is dryfasting a meme? Is there any point?

What's the minimum dry fast?

it's great, go for it.

Fasting is an excellent option for you. Just keep in close contact with a doctor who understands and supports what you're doing.

lmao noobs I stopped drinking water last year! I'm never going to drink again. I stopped eating food two years ago.

you can water fast till May end and get to 170, why wouldn't you do that? Weddings only come once, might as well look your best if you can.

epic, simply epic for the win

If you go long periods of time without eating with t2d ketones can build up in your liver, spike your sugar past 500 and kill you.

I'm planning on introducing more fasting slowly. Next week I'll probably start skipping meals Tuesday and Thursday, then start skipping Wednesday.

When I first started OMAD I would get crippling headaches before lunch that would last all day. Those were gone after 4-5 days but it impacted my work performance. By going a bit more slowly I can keep working towards my goals without such interruptions.

Additionally, it is nice to be able to easily just got to dinner with the fiance's family and eat instead of trying to explain fasting and getting the usual "You're giving yourself an eating disorder" bullshit.

How is it posdible to water fast for months? Whats the trick?

Stop eating and drink your snake juice.

Attached: 526543265435642.png (500x498, 399K)

Does drinking salt water fuck up my fast?

Only a day and a half into my fast and it's already painful. How the heck do you guys do this so often? You're very tough.
Just looking at pictures of food makes my stomach hurt.

Attached: 1521202772523.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

I have the willpower to fast, i dont have the willpower to do OMAW unless it can sometimes be junk food like deli sandwiches, steak, chipotle, etc.

The only reason im doing 3 days of feed a week is so i am not forced to eat eggs and spinich every single week for 6 months in order to prevent refeed syndrome

No but coffee does. So does bait.

>heck

Attached: TheFuck.photograph.png (786x438, 346K)

can anyone pill my newfag ass on snake juice.

Attached: water.jpg (320x504, 58K)

Is getting potassium necessary for a 20 day fast?

Am i being too paranoid about refeed syndrome or can i literally do OMAW with a big chipotle bowl (no rice). Im 350lbs 6ft if it matters

Eat whatever you want doing OMAW. That's what I did last week, broke the fast Saturday midnight with a low carb sandwich, and later that day, and sunday not low carb lemon tarts. It only stunted my weight loss Monday-Tuesday, I staggered at 285 Sat/Sun, Monday-Tuesday 286, then Wednesday was 283. Didn't have any bowel issues either, don't think I pooped until Tuesday night.

This week, though I might be over doing it, with a falafel, a piece of cake, salad and margherita pizza later Saturday. Though I'll probably dry fast the first few days Sun/Mon to drop back down quicker.

Ask your fucking doctor, don't die for some memes that overweight teenagers on a Madagascan lemur trapping forum made up.

Its pretty handy to have when you are fasting longer then 2 day fasting

Yes lol

just google curing diabetes with fasting

How long do you think someone could last fasting without a source of potassium? I need to know

I'm not going to base my potentially fatal life choices on fucking google but do whatever you want man, it's YOUR pancreas.

i will brainlet
maybe try reading studies.

That's all I needed to know, anyone wanna show off their results or are you all gay in here?

i cant find sodium and potassium multivitamins in store, am i fucked?
how long can i fast for without taking sodium and potassium

weak whiny little bitches are the exact reason I left this thread for 2 weeks

go back to r/fasting where 16:8 IF is like WOW YOURE SO STRONG

LoSalt you dumb fuck

Will donating blood or selling plasma accelerate any of the benefits from fasting?

you can't fast for more than 30 minutes without Potassium.

you're already dead!

Anybody got storytimes about fasting? Preferably about normies getting upset you put down the fork or something.

>fasted for 38 hours
>breaking it this morning with 5 scrambled eggs and 3 strips of bacon
>cant even finish the eggs from feeling so full
ouuughhehrr

My flatmate got mad that I wouldn't get a Domino's with him on Tuesday 'cause he couldn't afford one for full price

it honestly sucks how just going out to eat is such a common social activity, at least in burgerclap land

Congrats

What would happen if you didn't get that extra potassium during fast?
It's not like fasting animals have salt-lite to consume.

> The fasting body does not lose its inorganic constituents--minerals--as rapidly as it loses the organic constituents--fats, carbohydrates and proteins. It hangs on to these precious minerals while throwing away its excess of acid-forming elements. The more valuable the material the less of it is lost.

>There occurs an increase in the percentage of potassium in the soft parts of the body taken as a whole, during the fast. These facts show that potassium salts and calcium salts are not lost as rapidly as some of the other of the body's elements.

From
soilandhealth.org/wp-content/uploads/02/0201hyglibcat/020127shelton.III/020127.ch7.htm

Maybe the weakening at the second day of fast are just result of body not being used to periods of temporary lack of food or maybe it's shitty diet that brings barely any minerals to store.

>flatmate got made you wouldn't give him money
Be wary of that jew.

Thanks user

yup. Took me like 90 minutes to eat 2 lb brussel sprouts and 1 lb bacon post fast.

>mad you didn't give him money
what a cunt

>this thread again

Attached: fasting.jpg (1920x1080, 219K)

I'm always up for eating food. I literally slow myself down to enjoy it but i end up eating it fast anyways despite the amount of vegetables in front of me

You have a shitload of energy stored if you are really fat. Literal months.
You still need stuff like electrolytes, vitamins, and honestly i would do over 2 weeks without protein supplement because it can be risky, but its perfectly possible

>i would do over 2 weeks without protein supplement because it can be risky, but its perfectly possible
I think it depends on amounts you stored beforehand.. A diet rich in vegetables and other nutritious food should let you fast without supplements for weeks.
Apparently it's normal to get weak at first days because you're not used to lack of food.
Not fapping should help retain good stuff, too.

>is shitting water normal

No. That means your consuming too much potassium in your snake juice. If you weren't drinking snake juice, you have some intestinal problem.

>For the OMAW fags here, how many calories does your weekly meal consist of?

I don't track. I make a keto-ish meal and fucking gorge myself. I trust that no matter what I eat on the refeed, the 5-6 days of fasting ahead will wipe it out and more weight. I do try to make sure to eat a lot of potassium-rich foods on my refeeds since I use weaker-potassium snake juice during the week as to not shit water. Avocados, broccoli, beef, and chicken are all good sources. I also use the potassium salt in my cooking.

Here's what I ate after my first fast (9 days). 10 eggs, diced sausage links, chopped bell peppers (all 4 colors!), onions, mushrooms, almost drowned in coconut oil.

One of the most sensible proponents of fasting, Dr. Jason Fung, using fasting extensively for his patients with his diabetic patients. Get a doctor who understands how it works because you will need to go off your meds under their supervision. Fasting tanks your blood glucose because your body starts running on ketones. Also look up Jason Fung on YouTube.

All your body needs to not have refeeding issues is sodium, potassium, magnesium, thiamine, and phosphorous. Snake juice got you on the first two. I just take a B-complex 15 minutes before I eat, and a magnesium supplement the night before. And I make sure to include a phosphate rich food. It has never failed me.

Hypokalemia can kill you. Please do not try to do prolonged fasts without it.

Type II Diabetes isn't a pancreas issue at first. It's a liver and muscle issue. You do understand that right? Visceral fat on the liver and unused triglycerides in the muscle cause insulin resistance. The fact that the pancreas keeps making insulin wouldn't be a problem if the insulin actually got used.

Attached: 10.egg.scramble.jpg (3616x2712, 3.65M)

I'll never make it lads. This is too much

how much weight did you lose?

5 days into my week long fast, hungry and bored asf, what to do?

205 - 188lbs since December :v)

Attached: 20180316_170426.jpg (2896x2896, 371K)

I started out at 416 pounds on Feb 23rd. After my first fast I lost about 17lbs. The week after that it was another 7lbs. If that pace maintains, I should be ~385lbs when I scale tomorrow.

Next week though may be off cuz there is no way I'm making it through Saint Pattys without at least one drink.

I am considering doing 10 day water fast. However, I do have some worries.
Pic related, 5ft7, 168lbs

1. I like doing heavy weight, with plenty of volume, training 6 times a week. Will I need to lower the volume and/or frequency?
2. Currently I am doing 40 minutes of rowing on ergometer after every training as cardio. Should I continue to do this?
3. Any point of taking ECA to keep me focused for weight training?
4. Was that anabolism stuff true for you? Will I keep my muscle mass? I am afraid of loosing my gains.
5. Is doing the fast for 10 days enough for amounts of BF I have? How far would you think it would get me?

Attached: fatty.jpg (2520x2456, 594K)

can I use mouth wash?

I heard snakeman say that you should eat the day before workout and fast 48h after eating.
Or just include a 48h fast at the end of the week

3 days. it's faster than water fasting but you'll also feel much worse.
there has to be something to it because even that de Lauer guy copied snakeman and made a video about it

video pls

youtube.com/watch?v=VUsRld1K8Eo
dunno if this guy is trustworthy though.

okay /fast/, deal with me for a minute

Lately I've been feeling bloated and really tired/uninterested in stuff, so I decided to change some shit in my life, and tried different things
You can't expect to better yourself if you keep doing the same shit everyday

So, I decided yesterday that I would stop eating and drinking water until I felt I wanted water, and then wet fasting until I just ''needed'' food

This is the second day of my fast, So I thought I might be having placebo, but I barely feel hunger, I feel quite angry/pumped, and my body is screaming for me to go for a run
This is so weird to me becaue I had stopped running months ago, But I do really could go for a run right now

Is this normal? Am I having hormonal unbalance?

please no joke, my hands are shaking from pure energy, like coffe cramps

Find a flaw in this fatty day plan
LFELFE
L=eat at 5, lift, eat to 2000cal total
F=fast
E=eat at 5 1200 cal total

>fatty
too much eating

thequantifiedbody.net/10-day-water-fast-results/
This guy gained all the weight back. Is this normal? Did he just lost water+glycogen=

Attached: Weight-Loss-10-Day-Water-Fast.png (660x417, 21K)

horseshit, he forgot to change his diet, probably thought a streak of water fast would be enough. Fitness is a lifestyle, if you're gonna pork out after you lose the fat you're not gonna make it. He didn't magically gain it all back, he ate more than he burned.

It isn't abnormal. You're probably feeling a GH surge from fasting. Did you transition into keto, or were you keto before? If you were carbs before it's somewhat unusual, you would expect to feel poorly during transition into keto (from fasting). Keep at it if it keeps working for you.

How badly do you think a single cheat meal could possibly fuck you over?
On day 4 of my fast but I'm going out with friends tonight and getting Chinese, there's no way pigging out for just one meal would set me back too much, right?

Attached: 1487856242510.jpg (638x636, 100K)

it will fuck your progress over but what the hell, life's short.

You'll go back to metabolizing glucose instead of fat for a day or so depending on how fat adapted you are.
You can go right back into a fast afterward and reverse any damage within 2 days easily.

Go live your fucking life and work out the next day to burn those excess calories. This is important but your overall happiness and social well-being is too user.

I'm not obese but want to drop 15lbs, and am sick to death of eating until I start eating, then I can't stop thinking about food. Looking into OMAD but dunno if it's gonna be wise getting 200g protein 45g fats and 200g carbs in a single sitting. It'd be easy, sure, but I don't want my muscles killing themselves because my body can't absorb 200g protein at once.
Also I usually work out in the morning, is it still okay to eat my calories in the evening?

Attached: 1520451788954.gif (500x363, 984K)

Height, weight?

>is it still okay to eat my calories in the evening?
yeah you can eat whenever.

6ft0, 190lbs
Probably ~18% bodyfat
No need for BCAAs or such junk before working out?

I know I don't need 200g protein by the way but I find protein much more satiating and delicious than fats or carbs. Normally I'd do 50%/25%/25% p/f/c so 250g protein but I figured 125g carbs is too little to get enough micronutrients and fiber in, and I don't really need 55g fats (I only really get fats from almonds and/or cashews on my greek yogurt, and almond milk in smoothies). Honestly my "OMAD" would probably be a huge-ass veggie omelette with extra egg whites, a greens, fruit and whey smoothie, and greek yogurt with fruit and nuts. Hell maybe some oatmeal too if I have enough carbs leftover. Basically its just what I'd normally eat in a day, condensed into one feeding

Done little babby fasts in the past, 4 days max. Currently at 165lbs 5’6 manlet, no real lifting experience. Trying to cut to about 12%. How long do you think that’d take?

Is there any particular reason not to do OMAW instead of extended fasts? I broke my first 7 day fast close to a week ago, and I binged on carbs and a bunch of other shit. Even so, I found it really really easy to transition into another fast, and I felt like it helped a lot mentally (and to a small extent, physically) to satisfy those cravings. I'm sure it would be even easier to transition if I just ate keto on my refeed day.

Also, maybe I'm off base here, but I feel like it probably keeps your digestive system somewhat active, and you don't have to go through a careful, slow refeed process like you would on a very extended fast. Lastly, it's also nice because I feel like I can safely go at least 7 days without having to touch snake juice (which really fucked up my first week).

All things considered, I've had phenomenal weight loss so far. I just don't know if I would be better served doing an extended fast, or if OMAW is sufficient.

Attached: A0069ED2-5C5A-411A-93C7-DE96B1AD8409.jpg (1500x977, 253K)

Good shit. What was your fasting routine like? My body is similar to your before. Currently doing ketOMAD + 48hr/week

>Finally able to break a week fast
>Food tasted better in my head
>Can hardly finish
>Kind of feel guilty

A-am I developing a mental illness ?

tell me your weight, BF% and how much you lost during those 7 days

Not sure about currently BF%. I think I was approx. 30% or so? Give or take a bit, it was a rough, quick calculation.

I started at 255lbs, (6'4). First 7 days, I got down to around 236lbs. I shat a fuckload of water, so I'm sure a good majority of it was water weight. Plus, after eating, I pretty much immediately shot back up to about 240-242lbs. I am currently on the 6th day of my current 7 day fast, and I'm down to 230lbs as of this morning. Given that I tend to notice the most weight loss first thing in the morning, and given that I've been losing weight at a rate of about 2lbs a day for the past few days, I think it's reasonable to predict that by the morning after my 7th day, I'll be down to about 226-227lbs or so.

Hey, i don't have access to potassium salt right now, but I've got myself some shitty pills which contain 350mg in one. Is taking like 5 of them at once good for my fast?

Attached: hanys.png (509x430, 333K)

>Not sure about currently BF%.
current*

That's happened to me too. The anticipation followed by disappointment...What I've found, though, is that after a few days forcing myself to eat, I get reaccustomed to food & begin to really appreciate the energy it gives me. That's part of what fasting does - takes all the messed up, egoic ideas about food culture has instilled in you ("it tastes so good! yummy flavours! it's fun to eat!"), and puts them back the way they should be (ie seeing food as a medicinal tool to be used mindfully as a way to maintain your body)

you dont 200g of protein to maintain muscle that's just a fucking meme

Have any of you guys had any luck with OMAD but high carb? I have been doing keto OMAD for quite some time this year but my physical performance has gone way down. Recently I have just done the OMAD part and the hunger does not really bother me but I feel much more energy in the gym. Overall was curious how this would effect my fat loss

>maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males
>helps you gain muscle
Newshit here and am confused. Bodyfat's somewhere in 15-18% range I think, so I'd focus on strength gains. Is eating at surplus for the day better if it's just one meal? Or I'm mistaken about something.

>If you're lean, 5:2!-- OMAD (one meal a day, 1-2 hour eating window) 5 days a week + 48 hour fast a week
>If you're a fatass, FAST UNTIL YOU AREN'T.

I'm 181 cm, 88 kg. Does this mean I should I fast until I hit 82 kg (BMI 25)?

KetOmad gave great results, -3 weekly and effortlessly. Also felt amazing.

Getting back into ketomad for this week, then I'm gonna go mon-fri fast and eat keto sat-sun. How do I continue to lift when not eating for that fatigued me and makes me weak, or should I even lift during fasts?

currently been fasting for 42 hours now
started off dry fasting then went to water a few hours in
then again dry last night until about 2 today
how long does autophagy take to come in?
also will i reach it faster if i do keto diet on a regular basis?

OMAW is love. OMAW is life.

But seriously, OMAW gives you a chance to load up on vitamin supplements once a week so you can keep doing it all the way down to 10% BF. And you're absolutely right about the refeeding. 6 days is short enough you can pretty much just take a B-complex and gorge on refeeding day and not worry about serum electrolytes.

Thanks m8, that's how I felt about it. Just seems like a comfy way to go, and fuck, if I'm losing a ton of weight either way, might as well. Thanks for the reply.

i break my 2 week fast on Monday boys. What do i eat, thinking a some home made vegetable juice and a soft boiled egg. Got some steak and vege stew someone left me, is that ok to have the day after? Also how shitty will unsweetened yogurt make me feel?

Not sure. I'd assume taking the pills throughout the day would be better, but I'd like this question answered too, because I'm having a hard time finding potassium chloride over the counter. Anyone know what store sells it?

Someone in the previous threads said that anything that eating anything sweet tasting will spike insulin response, even if it doesn't contain calories like artificial sweeteners.
Does this mean if you accidentally ingest toothpaste while brushing your teeth you can potentially break the fast by triggering an insulin response?
Asking for a friend.