Ive heard that lifting helps the symptoms of depression go away. Can anyone here confirm this...

Ive heard that lifting helps the symptoms of depression go away. Can anyone here confirm this? Not even trying to get big or muscular, im comfortable with my body.

Attached: kill me.jpg (2000x3076, 504K)

Other urls found in this thread:

selfauthoring.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

hasn't helped me
you should do it anyway though
might as well be swole and depressed

for me, it helped that i saw some progression in my life, even when it were only the weights
>still dyel though

It takes my mind off it for a while. Seeing progress also gives me a confidence boost and makes the day a little better

Attached: 1433474554915.png (800x1033, 54K)

Nope.
Also why I turned to steroids. Helps you quell the empty feeling inside whilst being aesthetic as fuck. I can be charismatic as hell and feel good that I get attention.

But at the end of the day I'm a lonely deadbeat who ruins every good relationship I have and I want to shoot myself.

Cardio helps with depression
Lifting helps boost your confidence

sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. If you have that much motivation that you can start lifting (or continue doing so) I'm sure it will benefit you to some extent. Starting lifting might be a drag at first, but later it can be quite enjoyable and therapeutic.

Read Jung

I think working toward something and seeing your body improving definitely helps. I also highly recommend outdoor cardio activities like trail running.

quit being a bitch

lifting gives you a sense of accomplishment as you are hitting new goals consistently, provided you are setting goals for yourself and challenging yourself to meet them. Lifting without anything in mind will just make it seem all so pointless

go out of your apartment at 14- 20 o'clock. i swear it's the most beautiful time of the day. just get some friends together and go somewhere you've never been at.

This
Never skip cardio

i would but the clock on my wall doesn't go that far.

Most depressed people just need a hobby until they find a real purpose. Videogames and tv don't count. Being in physical shape does in fact help.

wait, that cartoon's about depression? i thought that was just how adult life was supposed to feel

Began lifting as additional treatment for my depression/anxiety. At this point, I don't even enjoy it anymore but I feel like garbage when I skip a workout. I've improved my diet significantly but it's a drag to keep it going. I just don't know man, I think it did help with feeling comfortable with my body in public though so there's that.

Lifting?
Nothing
Cardio?
It's not a fix all but I genuinely feel like a different person sometimes. If you're falling for the retarded cardio kills gains meme I'd recommend even 20 minutes a day a try.

lol

It'll increase your self-confidence which can be a reason for some to be depressed.

I had a good job; nice car, decent savings account, but I was still depressed cause I was such an out of shape loser with no confidence still.

There is a god-shaped hole in everyone's heart that can only be filled by god, filling it with anything else will only be a distraction from your lack of fulfillment.

t. Someone who had the same problem but found god

Attached: IMG-300100139.jpg (794x960, 191K)

This. Not even memeing. I was having existential crisises until I realized that God is real. Ironically, university and science turned me into a believer

Attached: 1520901277888.jpg (960x587, 55K)

Unironically this.

OP, you need to consider this

That comic hit pretty close to home, I was like that during the bad times.

Yes, lifting and working out helps some of the symptoms, but won't solve the problem. Go see a psychologist, it's like lifting but for your brain

God is real but Christianity and Science must be rectified. God must be recognized to be future chaos that Christianity turns into good fortune

Personally, lifting hasn't helped me with my depression.

Running does, though. Push yourself till you're sweating bullets and can barely breath. You'll probably stop thinking about your problems for at least 15 minutes.

Confirmed.

>cardio
But my gainz

I'm a Christian but I struggle with feelings of nihilism constantly.

halp

Any excercise will help depressives, except those with severe depression. Just move, as girlfriend says.

Literally saved my life, if I left my place and make it to the gym ( even if I didn't work out) that day was a success. Then it got better slowly Now big , and 120k a year side biches. Chad life good

Not directly.
It gave me confidence and a new will to live.
I would get out of bed 7am sharp knowing the day
is mine to do what I love.

Since then my looks have dramatically improved,
have more energy for my other hobbies, but most
importantly helped me land a cute girl who was in the
same situation and now dreams of having kids.

Lifting wont cure depression, but it will give you the strength to rise above it.

lifting is one of the best anti depressants there are, much better than therapy and better than pills

So true. I've recently increased my cardio as I'm really trying to reduce my bodyfat. And hit me the other day after I'd run/walked about a mile and half that I was in a really good mood again. Mind was clear. It was pretty outside. I felt great.

Yes, do cardio for your mood. And lifting does help, too. It's great to hit a new PR or see larger muscles in the mirror. My depression is less than it was a few months ago.

Never gonna make it.

Going to church once a week is not enough to becoming closer to god, some small steps you can take are to pray everyday it doesnt have to be long, read the bible daily(good mark to shoot for and its always possible to do so but i dont always do this myself). Also find a good church or homechurch with believers who actually care.

does it matter which christianity i pick?

Yes, because they all think all the others aren't real Christians. Protestants think "Papists (Catholics)" aren't Christian. Orthodox think Catholics aren't in the real Church and that the Coptics and Ethiopians are heretics. Et cetera. The Anglicans are probably the most open-minded Christians, which probably makes them the most Christian of all the groups.

If, for some weird-ass reason, you want to stick with Christianity, just...focus on Christ and his teachings.

But realize you can do this in other traditions as well (e.g. Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, any number of minor religions).

I say this as someone who was a Christian for many years, and in multiple, very different, traditions (e.g. Baptist, Orthodox).

>Is not even divine

Most religions, including many branches of Christianity, would disagree with you there. We all have a spark of the Divine within us.

Begone, Satan, with thine scandalous memes!

kind of true. Sometimes the people don't need to "find god" per se, but the activities and stimulants that finding god bring. Like hanging out with people, going to new places, take your mind out of your problems, allowing someone or something else to take part of your burden. Being a complete human being, basically.

THIS! THIS THIS THIS! One thousand times THIS!

It's really not about god for most people. It's about themselves. Some people need the devotion aspect, and it can be useful. But it's really just another tool to help one's self.

... or you just get really big and fill it yourself.

t. narcissist with god complex

>Et cetera
hahah omg opinion discarded
you are a fool

Your choice. I've got years of experience, reading, and research behind what I say. You're welcome to discard that.

obviously not much reading

>That image is how I feel

>Felt like shit for being a neet for years
>Got into college early this year
>Feel like shit because all those years passed by and I forgot most of the stuff I learned in highschool
>cry every other night telling my family how I've fucked up
>They try to help and even try to spend the day with me having fun
>Have fun but the end of the day I feel like shit
>Maybe you just need a job user it will help get your mind off of sadness
>Get a job
>I fall into even worse sadness because I am shitty at my job and have problems learning things
>I now got out of neetdom, got into college, and got a job all this year, and I still feel like shit

End it bros.

Attached: 1497626633550.jpg (863x431, 58K)

third this. the science on this suggests aerobic exercise can alleviate depression symptoms. you should still lift though, just to be stronger

Attached: 1521139517499.jpg (1242x889, 121K)

yeah but its temporary. Either it takes away those symptoms for a little bit (full day if you're lucky) or it impedes your workouts when you're going for a 3 pl8 deadlift and you start getting feels.

Try running outside half an hour a night or so to clear your mind and of course lifting.

As a lifter of almost 3 years and recently started cardio I can confirm this

I walk every day . It just won't go away

work out, be more social, focus on a creative hobby, see a therapist if you feel it will help, and try and surround yourself with more positive stimulus. i didnt give much of a damn about working out until i started browsing Veeky Forums daily, seeing people working out and talking about getting fit made me care about it more, same thinking applies to feeling positive. it wont be a quick and easy fix, you will probably stumble multiple times before getting in the routine of things, i know i did and still do some days. but after a couple of months of keeping at it these things will become second nature, and you will feel better.

no lifting helps you if youre sad

if you really have depresion in the medical sense and not in the "im sad but want to feel like a snowflake" then nothing will help you short of pills, it is a medical condition

Have you tried professional help?
If poor fag like me Jordan Peterson's self-authoring aint that bad, check it out
>inb4 shill

selfauthoring.com/

Thanks user. I'll see if it works.

I suffered from intense "random" bouts of depression from 2007 to 2015, I also started lifting seriously in 2015. I think what honestly ended my depression was self-knowledge and understand what my rumination was triggered by and how it affected me.

You have no idea.

you can either have depression because your life sucks or have a great life and you still have depression.

if it's the latter you might need the pills. Do LSD first and see if that works but if not you need the pills..

If you're depressed then do these things, guaranteed to help in 90% of cases:
Stop drinking alcohol entirely, stop doing any drugs, stop eating junk food and soft drink, eat healthy, maintain a good sleep schedule/sleep hygiene, do cardio at least 3 times a week, stop spending as much time on the internet, clean your room, etc
If you do all these and you still feel like shit, it's the pillz you need.

Catholic or Orthodox, protties are full of shit

No I'm depressed because I'm under alot of stress. I have a health issue that affects my ability to move, I have no health insurance, and I feel like I'm at a dead end because I can't do anything to pay the bills

>stop doing drugs
>if that doesn't work, you need drugs
bravo

my life was fucking ace when my mental disorder set in. Everything was perfect, the world was my oyster, etc. And then i got completely fucked

everybody has their problems though, all you can do is keep going

Did I need to clarify? Stop doing weed, heroine, mdma, acid, etc and go onto anti-depressants if that doesn't work.

>stop doing drugs with anti depressant properties and start doing drugs with anti depressant properties
cease your armchair psychiatrics

This

This guy knows whats up

You need to look into an anti-inflammatory diet. There's some good science coming out regarding a direct link between inflammation and depression. Inflammation seems to upregulate the default mode network which seems to create a hyperfocus on the self and action reflection. By down regulating it with anti-inflammatory diet and activities you get relief.

Also do saunas, hot yoga, and HIIT