If protein is all that is needed for muscles to grow, why do people tell newbies to bulk/eat a fuck ton?

If protein is all that is needed for muscles to grow, why do people tell newbies to bulk/eat a fuck ton?

Wouldn't it just be beneficial for them to eat 1g protein/lb of bodyweight and stay lean in the process by not eating everything else??

Attached: 1475448719609.jpg (456x402, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pdfs.semanticscholar.org/92c9/7e3308c3a1fd858b7bc7e381a840539e7ae6.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because the body isn't just one giant muscle. And that's not the only thing your body needs to grow muscle. Fuck off retard.

>If protein is all that is needed for muscles to grow
It's not. You need carbs for insulin and cellular energy.
/thread because your initial assumption was wrong.

I'm braindead when it comes to nutrition but you need fats, sugars, vitamins and other minerals to supply your body with energy and to be able to use that energy efficiently.

You also need to be in a caloric surplus to gain mass. Learn basic thermodynamics

I've been cutting for a while with this method and I'll have you know that your strategy was literally the holy grail of lifting for me. Don't let the Jews tell you otherwise. I've been eating 1500Kcal and 200g of protein per day. I've been losing fat and gaining muscle for several months now, even though I'm an experienced lifter.

In order to get that much protein with so few calories, you absolutely need to supplement with protein powder. I recommend getting whey protein isolate. Don't bother with the concentrate -- you less grams of protein per dollar. If you're serious about it, you'll get the 20kg whey protein isolate from bulksupplements on Amazon.

Thanks bro this means a lot to me, I'm ready now.

Well, it would be better for them to get their carbs and shit but not a surplus of it, get a decent amount to help maintain but a fuck ton of protein

end of the day that's all that matters

you have lean mass confused with body weight brainlet

>You also need to be in a caloric surplus to gain mass. Learn basic thermodynamics

Attached: IMG_8696.png (248x202, 21K)

>thermodynamics g-guys

Attached: CC720B5A-8C03-4300-97E0-2764393C156E.png (627x589, 74K)

it's just physics

So this means that I continue to eat a lot of protein but not so much everything else?

I can't speak of other countries, but the average US diet is very very carb heavy. There are people out there that don't even get the FDA minimum RDA for protein, which is still laughably low for anyone shy of a quadriplegic. So telling people to eat more protein is trying to get them up to a better macro ratio.

Macros like protein and carbs provide the basic building blocks and energy for your body to run. Micros are what keep your bodys processes in order. Macros are like gas, and micros are like oil. You change your oil far, far less and with less oil than what you put in your gas tank.
Jesus dude learn basic fucking anatomy.

You need to have more energy to store and use to increase mass. Are you fucking retarded?

How often do you drink brake fluid? Same as screenwash?

Could not be more wrong, the average US diet contains more than twice the needs in terms of protein but almost no one(>95%) gets their recommended fiber.

>the average US diet contains more than twice the needs in terms of protein
According to the USDA, yes. Those RDV's are to keep you from becoming deficient, it's not an optimal diet.

No, the minimum to maintain nitrogen balance is like 40g on average in men, the RDA isn't made to only include the average man so they use the amounts that will encompass more than 90% of the population. But it's a bell curve and the vast majority of men who eat the RDA minimum will get way more than they need, and people usually eat twice the RDA. So no, the US diet is not "low protein high carb" as suggested, it's "high protein low fiber". Almost no one eats their servings of fruit and vegetables, almost no one eats legumes etc.

>If protein is all that is needed for muscles to grow, ...
is trivially always true

t. mathematician

Per Harvard Medical School
>The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is a modest 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. The RDA is the amount of a nutrient you need to meet your basic nutritional requirements. In a sense, it’s the minimum amount you need to keep from getting sick — not the specific amount you are supposed to eat every day.

Per the CDC
>The average American male aged 20 and over consumes 16.1% of their dietary kcals from protein

This means the average US male is just about hitting the RDV which is considered low. There were other sources that I won't link because they weren't super duper trustworthy, but I was seeing figures of some odd 40% of Americans not even hitting the RDV target for protein, which is significant. You are absolutely correct about the fiber though. Too many Americans consume too much bleached flour products.

RDA is set two standard deviations above mean. So when they dare to say something so generalized as this IS how much you need, they only dare doing so because it includes more than 90% of people.

But MOST people are at the MEAN(as with any bell curve) which is only 0.66g/kg(pic related). So the average person only JUST hitting the RDA is already above their needs by a good margin.

Source: pdfs.semanticscholar.org/92c9/7e3308c3a1fd858b7bc7e381a840539e7ae6.pdf

Attached: Protein needs.jpg (773x350, 51K)

In imperial units that would be a measly 0.3g/lbs.

Carbs and fats = more energy = heavier liften = better stressed muscles = more gains after recovery. Protein is digested into amino acids, which are the building blocks of muscle, so more protein = faster and better recovery. If your diet isn't well balanced, you're just hindering your gains.

That would be 0.17 drams per pound.

Your assumption is false so your reasoning is unsound but valid. Not only protein is needed. One thing that would happen is that you would burn the protein for energy instead of using it for muscle protein synthesis, which would mean a lot of wasted protein for no benefit. Remember, building muscle is a biological luxury, your body won't build muscles if it doesn't know it's guaranteed energy for everything else more vital. You could eat 400g protein/day and still lose muscle mass if your energy needs are not also met.

I like how you shifted from "carbs" to "fiber." His point remains that most americans eat a surplus of simple carbs.

No I'm pretty sure 0.66g/kg is 0.3g/lbs.

I didn't shift anything, point is the average person gets more protein than they need which is correct. I was right, he was wrong. Notice how you "shifted" his "carbs" to "simple carbs"? Just "carbs" include veggies, fruit, legumes, whole grain products as well, which means if people ate loads of this they would meet their fiber needs. If he said "simple carbs" I wouln't say anything, but he didnt, you did.

Because calories are needed for the body to have enough energy to perform work. Protien is important but there isn’t really any need to have more than 1.5g per lb of body weight at the highest end. Someone who weighs 180 like me would only be getting a third of my calories from protien in that case which would leave me with no energy to survive and lift.

Mostly people eat refined carbs and deep fried shit. I look at what most people eat and it’s normally a huge serving of simple carbs plus some fatty meat like a burger patty. The real goal is to eat a mix of very lean protien, a good portion of healthy carbs and fats and a shit load of different vegetables

What's a gram? Over here we use freedom units, dram, ounce, barleycorn, furlong etc.

If you eat at eat high protein at maintenance, and work out, its called a recomp.

bruh i only drink pure PUSSY JUICE MY NIGGER

Because its not, and an extremely high protein diet for prolonged periods of time leads to pretty shitty health complications later in life

There really isn't any need to have more than 0.75g/lbs/ 1.6g/kg lean body mass. 1.5g/lbs is very, very excessive.

Attached: 1516888268290.jpg (768x540, 30K)

That brainlet made me kek