Why does Pathfinder suck?

Why does Pathfinder suck?

It's free online so all my poorfag friends can play it, there's a lot of cool third party stuff, and it's easy to learn.

I don't get why people yell at me for liking it.

Other urls found in this thread:

d20herosrd.com/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because there are other systems that are free online, have plenty of third party stuff, and are also easy to learn. It's cool if you like Pathfinder, but don't say you like it because you think it's the only rpg out there that has those three positives.

Option bloat makes players think a lot of stuff is okay to do. Like Samurai and other dumb shit.

Too much freedom.

The aberage tabletop player is not terribly creative so when given the choice to be creative it usually fails. The best thing for uncreative people's creativity are restrictions.

Also the rule system sucks with how it handles almost everything. Especially Feats, Skills, amd Magic.

Other systems like what? I'm always open to learning new stuff.

All I know how to play is PF, SR, and DH.

Sorry for spelling errors. Mobile poster in bed here.

For the same reason they yell at you for liking anything: they don't like it and hold their own person opinion as the golden standard for the rest of the world. This may stem from being fed up with DnD 3.5 and 3.75 which respectively PF is. Also from having never played and having heard about the Japanese mythology inspired (read: expy) stuff and declared it as a weeb game (which i can understand judging from /pfg/ but never hold a general as a standard for what type of people play a system). Many other factors exist, but they change on a person-to-person basis.

Try d20herosrd.com/

It's at least more balanced that PF and it's not even class based!

Well, for things that meet those three criteria that I can think of right off the top of my head:

>OpenD6
Good for fantasy, sci-fi, and modern settings. Meant to be cinematic, used for tons of different brand tie ins like Ghostbusters and Star Wars, and super easy to learn

>FATE/FUDGE
Meant to be used as a generic system but it can be used to play damn near everything with plenty of FATE/FUDGE based systems out there. Mileage may very on how easy it is to learn, it's easier for freeform players to learn but hard as hell for those used to D&D. My personal favorite FATE based game is Diaspora which is a hard science fiction game.

>Eclipse Phase
Meant to be used only in the Eclipse Phase setting. A sci-fi game that's entirely focused on transhumanism. It has a metric shit ton of content behind it, and I seriously mean a ton, but the rules aren't nearly as easy to learn as something like OpenD6 but comparible with Pathfinder in time to learn.

>The *World games
For some reason people really like to bring Apocalypse World's rules into just about every setting. In my opinion Dungeon World is really crappy, but there are other World games that are good with the front runner for most interesting obviously being Apocalypse World. Most *World games share some pretty similar mechanics so once you learn one you pretty much learn them all.

>Risus
Nothing beats Risus on being easy to learn, and few things beats Risus in the absolute tidal wave of alternative rules out there.

>they just don't like it
>inb4 it's not imbalanced at all if everyone has perfect system mastery and everyone agrees to play the same tier

Because some things attract people with certain mentality.

Pathfinder, dnd attracts powergaming cunts.
Bmw attracts shitty rude drivers.
Warhammer/warmahordes(depending on country, it works for wh40k in here) attracts waac people who will cheat on rules.

Now thanks to that general public associates those traits with those things. Generalizing it to every human. Turning it to stereotypes.

I never said it was perfect or balanced, it's about as well balanced dumbbell with weights only on one side.

'cause it encourages roleplaying too much.

You should pick a setting that leaves less to GM fiat and the players' imagination. Something that actively encourages players to optimise their character because that's the whole objective of the game.

Play some 4th edition.

The game balance is pretty fucked and you're very capable of accidental game-breaking. It didn't fix any of the issues with 3.5 in this regard, basically.

Ultimately you can run any game and have fun with it, but there's definitely a much higher level of oversight encouraged by PF.

Also PF is hack-and-slash gaming. People keep trying to use it to run stuff it's not built for, which gets annoying at the tenth time you've seen "my horror hack for pathfinder" or whatever.

>hurr durr le theatre of le mind
>4e encourages optimisation
>never mind even a retard can come out the other end of chargen with randomised choices and still be useful to the party
sweet b8 bro

I can only tell u why I don't play its too slow and complex too much splat compared to OSR systems which are too vague but play fast and clean.

>It's free online

Everything is.

Then it's not "they just don't like it" that's an actually less functional dumbbell than dumbbells that are balanced.

I mean, you could still say "yeah, but I prefer my dumbbells imbalanced" but then it's your preference that is kinda weird and unfounded, not theirs.

PS.: Dumbbell analogy actually works remarkably well. Kudos.

That's called a hammer.

D&D and Pathfinder doesn't really suck, it's just that they're pretty extreme examples of role-playing games that lean heavily towards the game side, to the point of some times feeling like you're playing a videogame without graphics rather than taking part in a story.

People who are used to dungeoncrawly rpgs with levelups and a lot of random arbitrary stuff (you're allowed to stab someone in this specific way, but only once per day!) think that games without tons of combat moves are for role-playing faggots, and people who like to go heavy on the role part of it think that D&D and Pathfinder are for knuckledragging retards who should stick to WoW, that's just how it is.

Also, people yell at you for liking it because you stick your neck out in threads like this like an attentionwhoring retard and basically dare people to vomit criticism on you.

You could have made the exact same thread and swapped out "pathfinder" for "puppies" or "blowjobs" and someone would still have argued with you.

>Why does Pathfinder suck?
It's derived from D&D, so what do you expect? Course it's going to be bad. Don't mean you can't have fun with it though. It might not be a great RPG but it can be a fun game never the less.

Remember that the system mechanics, the fluff and even the dice rolls are nothing but inspirational sources for the story and the events unfolding. Take inspiration and suggestion and then entertain, make sure everyone is entertained. Some things inspire some people in more and different ways than others. Find your (your groups) muse and have at it.

Damn, when will you guys give it a rest?

Vomitting up and drinking the same shit back and forth has left you all without anything close to an opinion reflecting reality.

Take a look at Talislanta.

Every published edition is now free from their official site.

It's got a setting like nowt else, no humans or traditional fantasy races.

>No Tolkein and no humans
Fucking sign me up.

>Talislanta
>pointy ears guys who look like elves
>game markets itself as "no elves"
yea, okay

That's called a kettlebell and they're getting popular lately.

maybe they're aelves, totally different

This is some of the better bait I have ever seen.

At least 75% of all fantasy races ever are elf. Because pointy ears are the elf toggle.

>Because there are other systems that are free online, have plenty of third party stuff, and are also easy to learn. It's cool if you like Pathfinder, but don't say you like it because you think it's the only rpg out there that has those three positives.

You'd be surprised at the number of people who only play 3E/Pathfinder because they are under the mistaken impression that it's the best viable option. Why else would their friends all insist on it?

These systems also teach people that learning new RPGs are super hard so you shouldn't learn anything else.
When this is false for a huge number of systems.
They're the worst entry to the medium.

>I like to eat shit, all my friends like eating shit, and it took us a lot of time investment to learn how to eat shit properly. Why does everyone rankle their noses in disgust when I tell them we like eating shit?
Pathfinder is a garbage system and that's that. There is no reason to play such a bloated, complex, obsessively rules heavy RPG based on flawed design philosophy. There is absolutely no reason to subject yourself to caster supremacy, ivory tower design, "rules for everything"/"it's not up to the GM" design, massive numbers of options across dozens of books, insane amounts of time spent bookkeeping instead of playing, ridiculously long combats as people struggle to work through every possible detail of such a wildly complex, interconnected system and to do so much fucking math at the table.

Pathfinder is the Minecraft of tabletop RPGs. It looks simple enough at first but it takes forever to do anything, changing anything sets off a chain reaction of bullshit and the fanbase is among the most autistic in the industry. Both had a huge impact on their industries, and both were probably net negatives.

>Pathfinder is a garbage system and that's that. There is no reason to play such a bloated, complex, obsessively rules heavy RPG based on flawed design philosophy. There is absolutely no reason to subject yourself to caster supremacy, ivory tower design, "rules for everything"/"it's not up to the GM" design, massive numbers of options across dozens of books, insane amounts of time spent bookkeeping instead of playing, ridiculously long combats as people struggle to work through every possible detail of such a wildly complex, interconnected system and to do so much fucking math at the table.

"But it's the only game my friends are familiar with and/or will play."

And the cycle repeats itself. This is how D&D has stayed in business for so long. It's a meme game.

If I can say one thing about pathfinder, it's that it's very fun if you set out to break it , especially with martials.

However, the way it handles magic and the fact that by a certain level, no matter how broken you are, you still won't be as good as even non-munchkined top tier classes makes it kind of suck to play.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poe's_law