Place

user, you're such a loser DM. Tell me your original setting so I can change my mind.

Well my original setting was the back of my van with you unconscious.

That hurt my feelings.

FPBP

Fantasy with !elves !dwarves and !orks they're all aliens , as well and a smattering of creatures and places so far. Also, humans can't do most magic, but they're SUPER into golemancy

I rip off a lot of stuff and jam it into fantasy worlds. One has cooler versions of Christians, ancient Egyptians, Vikings/Germanic tribes, and Aztecs battling it out. Another is Halo, with elves vs illithids standing in for forerunners vs flood.

Fully original settings are overrated

A science fantasy setting equal parts Destiny and Chronicles of Riddick.

What's the Riddick part, besides Riddick himself?

Oh it's quite simple it called
Remington

Stealing the idea of the Underverse.

In this one the Underverse is a mixture of Ethereal and Plane of Shadow that overlaps the world.

Light and Darkness are big themes with the inner part of the solar system closes to the sun being full of light and everything beyond it's reach, The Umbral Expanse, being filled with this darkness.

I hope you like being poor. That is the goddess of misfortune you are kidnapping.

Look at where I am.

The only options left for me are death or for things to get better.

Also.

>thinking I watch your shitty animuus

user...Is something wrong? Do you want to talk about it?

Original setting?

Sure! It's called a universe where OP isn't a virgin.

>settings are what makes a DM good

I live in a fucking van bumming wifi from internet cafes. What the fuck do you think is wrong?

That sounds awfully derivative of .

Existence is a vast sea of primordial chaos. The Gods emerged from the churning energies and proto-matter to form islands of stability, worlds to call their own, and those worlds became inhabited by various mortal creatures - some of the gods' own creation, some simply manifesting from the chaos as they did. Other critters dwell in the primordial chaos, dragons and spirits and stranger things.

For a time these worlds were separate, but clever mortals invented vessels to transport them through the sea of chaos unharmed, carrying with them mystic totems of their homeworlds to remind them of where they come from and making sure they don't lose their way, for a lone man exposed to primordial chaos risks being twisted by it as he unravels. Some of these vessels meet terrible fates, the chaos changing them, leading to maddened crews of undead and mutants preying on who were once their fellow man.

Also there's, like, vampires who worship a dismembered god and are trying to put him back together.

Is the problem that you're having trouble getting your singing career off the ground?

Singing?

I'm an artist, duh.

!Humans, !Elves, and !Dwarves have an alliance versus the kingdom of !Evil.

The evil guys are corrupted by elemental evil, and are otherwise just tribal beast men when not corrupted, but racism and xenophobia by the Alliance spurs on war.

The party are a bunch of racists and exploited jigaboos in equal portions.

The main campaign explores "morality vs. Following orders from superiors" and "Are we not all Men?"

>He doesn't know
Of course, the setting isn't the only factor on how a DM is good.

It is generic D&D universe #2618, because that is what my players and I felt like playing.

What, just because it is uninspired and dull doesn't mean we can't have fun with it

Planet rotates super slow around the sun to where its rotation is the same as its revolution, so one side of the planet is faced permanently towards the sun (slight wobble to the planet though, so sun effectively moves in a circle in the sky)

No earth races or animals or anything like that cause that shit's too easy. Just... things that are very close. "Humans" can't use magic, but are steampunk with flying city and shit. Magic's based on ten 'schools,' ranging from the more literal "heat" or "cold" to theoretical shit like "order" which relies on the idea of placing rules on reality to act upon (AKA shit like runes, or incantations). Each of the schools has its own realm which is a mirror of the planet, except fucked up in their own ways.

Native planet has eldritch abominations under it, especially under the ruins of the magical kingdom that died overnight 3k years ago. Also far across the sea is a continent that's based off oriental nations except the inhabitants are fucking magical robots that create new ones of themselves from the cores of their fallen. Also magnet-breath dragons.

>original
>laughingfinalfatnastycharacter.jpeg

But seriously, my game's basically Australia with a separate plane of existence which exists over the top, which is where the characters are. It's that place that allows people to use magic.

Think The World Ends With You, but in a place which is already super deadly.

Generic fantasy, but instead of swords everyone has guns instead.

The Simuplex.

It's 2073, we hit the singularity over 30 years ago and shit got weird. We're grappling with a crime epidemic; the crime: mass scale Simulant abuse. Sick bastards are creating simulated worlds complete with fully sentient minds, and real suffering, just so they can play the hero (or just play god). Whether illegal copies of pre-existing minds, or Simulants born in the virtual world, every mind has rights, and no one should be a pawn in somebody else's sick game.

You are an agent of the Bureau of Cognitive Rights. You're job is to infiltrate these worlds, identify which of the inhabitants is the "Player", and bring him to justice. Along the way you have a responsibility to help the locals; easing their suffering and steering their world in a better direction.

SCiFi, Fantasy, Horror; the genre doesn't matter, the job is always the same:

Protect the innocent.
Beat the bad guy.
Save the world.

My setting is essentially post apocalyptic but with the source of magic burnt out with residual magic mutating everything. Magic items still work though.

Which one? I have between 5 and 8 at any given time.

Which one's your favorite and which one do you think is the best?

Huh; that's a super meta game. I like it

Did you start with a big reveal, where the players had a dnd game be illuminated as one of the abused universes? Great way to build back story with folks.

I can't decide q.q

I will tell you about the most recent or best one, or sort them by categories if you want when I get on my break. I'm at work ATM

Please do.

My setting is screaming.

One day you'll get better at making wonderful settings, user. *kiss*

Hm, it seems I literally unable to care about outright imaginary people. Same in The Strange or Genius the Transgression. How can anyone feel empathy for beings created by dozens at whim, then destroyed and restored just as before?

A wuxia setting with Gothic Horror-inspired architecture, with an environment that reacts according to people's emotional responses. Intense anger causes candles to spontaneously light up, or fear causes shadows to become larger regardless of lighting conditions, that sort of thing.

Interstellar post-post apocalypse with new stellar nations emerging as FTL infrastructure is gradually restored. Consolidating territory, rebuilding colonies, competing over valuable locations and technology bases isolated during the Great War. Wrestling with the beginnings of an interstellar cold war, these nascent empires are suddenly coming into contact with the remains of their parent nations, some of which aren't very happy with the idea of their newly rediscovered territories trying to go independent...

I've got a few settings i'm working on.

One is a totally underwater fantasy inspired by Sword and Planet tales. I wanted to explore the very alien world that is underwater, but in a fun fantasy context. Think Dark Sun but underwater. It's been a hassle with figuring out how underwater combat would work in regards to types of weapons and three dimensional positioning. It seems only piercing weapons are any good underwater. Since i'm running this in 5e, i've hacked the races to fit into a more underwater world.

I've got a world that's basically the multiverse collapsed down into a single world, with many different entities associated with the six elemental spheres populating it. This one I have a problem of too many races. Already I have like 25 and they favour certain elements over others, showing a big imbalance in elemental representation.

Then I have a sort of hackjob taking the Great Wheel cosmology of D&D, ripping it apart and putting it back together as a universe, and they shoving parts oft he corpse of Spelljammer into it to make a fantasy space opera.

Then I have a dark fantasy inspired by Lovecraft and Germanic folklore and fairytales. A fairly animistic setting focused around corruption, consumption, and the ultimate degradation of entropy into the death of the universe and the futility of trying to fight against it.

>the setting isn't the only factor on how a DM is good.

Well, of course not. It really depends on the setting.

but user, by the very nature of the game, all people in it are imaginary.
Do you fail to care for them as well?

Why do you think so many decent people irl are murderhobos in game?

Murderhobos are only fun when done a couple of times then it's boring.

I'll give you a couple I can sort

>Newest, most inspired
Currently I've been absorbing a lot of Sci fi material including Overwatch, Stellaris, and some other stuff. Been itching to make a Sci-Fi setting myself. Not much is worked out except for nonpsychic wizards (closer to Jedi), the term BICO (biological intelligent communicating organism; the general term for most intelligent beings) and the CoS- or council of sentients.

Basically the idea is high flying space adventures with high fantasy combat and worlds. The CoS is supposed to be like a big authority that manages the players; the players act as loose Enforcers who are like really hard to control cops. There are a lot primitive world's where you can't bring in advanced technology, and many of these world's actually know about this and stay primitive on purpose because the Council will protect them from being conquered by some huge aggressive space empire. Also occasionally rogue enforcers or pirates might take over a primitive or colony world, etc.

>Most developed
High fantasy with a bronze age flair. The stars are all dead Gods and reality is ruled by a group of Gods and spirits in a Divine Beuracracy. Humans are common through the land because they are 'easy to make' so plenty of Gods used clay, volcanic ash, weaving, etc to create their own races of humans. Other races include loads of animal people in the far places, big fluffy trolls, other weird races too. There are many nations and lands, as well as many stories. The game has a mythological feel.

>Most Unique
There is a city in a wood where it is always Night. This city has an eternal energy source which nobody knows about, it's the only thing that keeps the lights on. Basically when people or other creatures get truly lost, they end up here. Everything is made of scrap and salavage, but it's a functioning city with crime gangs. Guns are called Chimneys and gun smiths are called Sweeps. This place is called Night Garden.

What happens if somebody gets aroused?

Okay, so, like, what if you had a torus, and then, get this, put, like, another torus inside it?

user, plz

Double torus all the way

Thanks for sharing.

I'm not even an attention wore but that response seems somewhat pointless.

I am not answering that question.

Why not? Does the game get harder?

There's a difference between "I don't want to write about sex" and "I'm insecure about sex and therefore act like it doesn't happen in my setting."

When you have something like the environment dramatically depending on a person's emotional responses, pretending that sexual arousal doesn't exist just makes you a bad writer.

In my case, it's "I'm not sure yet, because I had to toss out the original answer." It was too limited and didn't apply to a wide range of environments, and the obvious alternatives (such as temperatures rising) were already used elsewhere.

So I'd rather not answer the question until I figure out an answer.

>See bait-y question
>I am not answering that question.

The better answer is to simply not post a response. You don't owe anons anything here. If you don't want to deal with an anonymous conversation online, then you can simply stop participating without reproach. It's not like we're going to follow you home and bother you about it later.

It started off as a thought experiment on what would happen if Rome never fell (or at least if it didn't fall when it did - current setting timeline has the world in about the Rennaissance era), but grew from there.

First, the world had one stellar body in the sky - a kind of sun that was permanently eclipsed by itself. The world was in perpetual twilight and magic filled the air. This was the creator of the world and it created a race of beings so it wouldn't be lonely anymore in the vast, timeless existence it had.

Only, it fucked up. The beings it created were evil, spiteful creatures who wanted the power of creation for themselves. They created a massive spire in the heart of their greatest city that would draw upon the magic of the world to steal the power from the stellar body for themselves. Somewhere along the line though, the device backfired and when it activated, it drew upon the lifeforce of the creatures, killing them all while severely wounding the stellar body. The stellar body took so much damage it split in two, one half becoming the sun and the other the moon. With this split, time became linear and things began to progress. The stellar body's blood fell from the sky and became the oceans; its flesh and bones the mountains and continents. From the death of the prior civilization and the release of their magic, a new race rose to power - humans. The magic released from the prior race's extinction jumpstarted their evolution from primitive animals to sentient beings. They still held their primal fear for the old race and never went near their structures at first.

From there, the world progresses as normal. The two halves of the stellar body chase each other in an eternal dance; day and night. When they finally reunite, time loses its linearity again for a slight moment and magic fills the air, allowing the prior race to return for a short while and inflict their torment on humanity before disappearing again.

I have more if anyone cares.

Imagine the possibilities for comedy when person A is madly attracted to person B and has to act like he isn't, but in the middle of a very serious conversation the chandeliers are automatically giving them mood lighting and rose petals are blowing in through the window and he struggles to explain it away/physically fight the room's attempts to set the mood.

I already set flower petals flying into rooms or blooming out of season as being tied to romantic feelings. I suppose I could just make sexual attraction manifest as a combination of elements, rather than just a single change.

Actually, doing that would make it easier and open up more options. Huh. Can't believe I didn't consider that before.

Thanks user.

You know, you don't need to make the world's responses to emotion so rigid. Rigidity is not a synonym for consistency.

Especially true for system like this, as you've just discovered that emotions themselves aren't very rigid.

Yeah. The environmental responses are rigid partly because of the locals. They've developed an emotionally-contained culture and learned to examine their environment, rather than people's facial expressions, to gain emotional context. The rigid responses were mostly to help my players pick up on them.

The PCs started out as outsiders driven to the area by circumstance, blissfully unaware of the havoc they're bringing.

All I have is a very shitty skeleton to work with, but I'll tell what I have.

Post-human galactic expansion/colonization. No other sentient life was found, therefore humans decided to drop all illusion of morality since they had no one to pretend to, and the resulting experimentation into genetics and technology created a multitude of meta-human races that have a hard cap on their life span because reasons.
One meta race got super smart in the ways of robot fu and started producing drones/mech suits/whatever else en masse.

Another meta race perfected the technique, teamed up with the super robot science faction and now they rule their own immense span (~65%) of the galaxy.

The "Original Humans" hold sway over the Sol system and immediate surrounding systems, but due to their techological inferiority they rarely venture out into deeper space.

I also have plane for other meta races that mutate/evolve at grossly accelerated rates, but I have no fucking clue how to backstory it.

Usually you pretend that NPCs are somehow important, to plot, backstory or your PC, but those games always remind you that they aren't. Rules, setting and GM encouraged to act out of character, breaking flow of immersion. Not everyone can enjoy postmodernism, I guess.

>decided to drop all illusion of morality since they had no one to pretend to

Why they didn't they have to pretend to each other?

>Because all humans are suck fucks and everyone knows it

But honestly, I'm still working on that. I could probably phrase it better as "...Since they had nothing to prove.", but I'm not too sure if that makes it any better.

Not the other user, but what about just having them create a new moral paradigm based on progress and research?

I ask more out of curiosity than criticism.

I would imagine a global war/wars causing the total breakdown of human society while also catapulting science and technology forward could result in a rather technocratic global society that doesn't have any problem tampering with the fabric of the human race.

Something like what says: You don't need to go as far as "humans no longer have morality" to justify metahumans. It's not nearly as big a leap as you might think.

... Y'know, there's a point when you realize that you're too far into the "There must be war and moral conflict and everything sucks" mindset that you realize that you've been reading too much Black Library novels.

I would kiss you user, but that would make me a faggot.

It's not gay unless the balls touch.

Also, if you don't pull out

After a Day After Tomorrow style apocalypse, the only survivors are those in cities that had already encased themselves in protective domes to keep out pollution. Some of these were then converted into massive icebreaker ships, which engage in sweet cyberpunk style piracy over the last bits of natural resources and lost technology.

>ENTIRE CITIES including all the parts underground converted into singular massive icebreaker ships

its just like real life, but there's no anime

A planet sized tree stump floating through space.

The only natural resources are wood, byproducts of wood, and whatever can be made from the countless varieties of giant lichen, moss, and fungi.

The 'fauna' is mostly plantlife that learnt to move around and think, as well as a few species of grubs and worms which live below the surface boring endless tunnels through the rock hard wood.

The only sentient life is a kind of moss that learned how to make simple tools, farming, language, and eventually a kind of culture. Thousands of small tribes/nations who are constantly warring with each other. The conflict is usually over religion, sometimes resources.

The 'culture' is aggressively religious and zealous, and the sentients are typically dumb and vicious.

The tree stump has layers like any planet. The top layer is all soft wood, until a few hundred metres deep where the wood has petrified. The petrified layer is about 40% of the radius, and below that is a layer of rotten wood, and at the centre a hollow core. The planet isn't very dense, the low gravity is the main reason moss was able to evolve to move, that and time. Lots and lots of time.

It's based on a dream i had, it's probably not going further than this.

Wow, you're a little bitch.

Saving this idea: would probably be more life than moss-men just because, but it sounds neato.

Which setting do you want?

A fun setting for most but you like as well.

There is a Town. Half a day's ride from the Town is a Dungeon.

Glad you liked it, i think i kept everything plant/fungi based to emphasize how shitty everything is. It's a world where the technology is permanently tribal level, because there's literally no raw materials beyond rotten and petrified wood, not even any animal bones. And the mossmen are all too busy fighting amongst themselves to try and make things better.

This is worthless as a setting (without being modified) because it's just a fucking shitty wasteland with no potential for improvement. Maybe if it was a one off planet encounter in some kind of spacefaring game, but playing as a shitty mossman would suck. Games need to make you /want/ to play them. I don't want to play this setting, and i made it.

Good luck, if you're legitimately planning on recycling this, I'd love to see what you make.

Had a setting where the realm was an experiment for the god. Everytime the experiment "failed", the realm would be destroyed and recreated. Story was based around an oracle discovering this and resulting in the group trying to find out what the god wanted and save the realm.

It's true though. The easiest thing to do is ignore it.

It's basically a westernised version of Bleach with all the serial numbers filed off.

bitch I don't need to justify myself to you.

It's a boring high fantasy setting with a bunch of races so far. Nothing set in stone except the undead menace was started with high elves taking dark elf ancestor ghosts and forcing them to fuse with high elf souls to make liches. The dark elf god was summoned and promptly killed by the arch lich and had his body turned into a holy site for the undead called "The Cathedral of Rot"

>Malazan Book of the Fallen

what

Sorry bro but Malazan Book of the Fallen already did your plotline.

Originality is dead.

Aaah. I'm a new DM so I'm struggling along with making things seem unique enough while having the setting make sense.

Have one of my continents in progress. I'm not a good cartographer.

Yes you do, user.

Haven't gotten the chance to run it yet, but I'm going for a continent that is actually the pocket dimension of a massively powerful lightening dragon god. As such, the weather is mostly windy and stormy.

It has a mountain range in the north where the dragon lives, and deep underneath lives a secret city of mind flayers.

There is a great swamp to the south that bleeds into the dark forest of the east, where the reclusive elves live, stuck in a civil war between the king and his loyal sobjects and the rebelling queen who has been transformed into a drider ruler of the forest.

The central part of the continent is a windswept lowland plain, and is absolutely teeming with spirits, ghosts, and wraiths. The dead are cut off from escaping the plain by the dragon god, so they all wind up trapped. Most of them are drawn to these stormy plains, where they churn with the weather.

As such, most living reside in a few large fortified cities, with small villages existing but mostly being terrorized by monsters and ghosts.

There are ruined castles all over from when it was still viable to have them, but largely are filled with failed experiments and treasure now.

I'm having my PCs all be from a more standard, less grim/horrible world that get sucked into this realm and will have to eventually parlay with the dragon god to escape.

I'm using a heavy German influence for naming, i.e. the forest is Schattenwald, the continent is Aufhellugland, the ruins of the mad wizard's castle is castle Totenauge, etc.

Tell me more, though.