Old thread: >what games are you looking forward to
>what player archetypes compose your regular group
>how many games is too many

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208026/item/4588251
kickstarter.com/projects/1568956838/oppai-go
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>>what games are you looking forward to

The games I backed, so Scythe and Conan, though I want to get a hold of Liberty or Death that I believe is having a reprint. Anyone know of a good way to get non-Twilight Struggle GMT games in the UK?

I'm at a very low point in my life at the moment, so just my brother.

I've asked a similar question here before and find this interesting. I tend to spend much of my time reading about games and waiting for ones that really fulfill what I'm after and I anticipate many plays. It seems most avid board game folk have huge collections and I was astonished to see the recent Dicetower video was listing 7 or 8 plays as a lot. It makes me questoin the validity of reviewers. Instead of answering I wonder if people could say, in addition,

>how much they play their favourite/most active game?

>what games are you looking forward to
I've gotten out of the whole "cult of the new" bullshit, so the most hype I'll get is "Oh, that might be fun"
You know those two players who will go after each other for no apparent reason? Odds are, I'll be one of them
I'm getting close to 40 games, and that's pretty much my tipping point (some of them are tiny games like Love Letter, but still...)

The one I'll actually get to play
moved because of work, moved because of work, dead, moved because got married, moved because got married, moved because got married, moved because lost job, moved because lost job, and alcoholic.
I'll never know

Not looking for any recent releases in particular. Want Dungeon Petz.

Math wiz, over-aggro dude, mister clueless, game encyclopedia, "but losing is fun too!", euro-snob, zombie fan #1, graphic designer (aka "game looks boooring"), traitor and filthy casual 1-5.

Still finding out. 50 is not it, though I should get rid of some stuff that gets no plays.

>>what games are you looking forward to
High Frontier
FUCK Ares Magazine.
>>what player archetypes compose your regular group
Gaming veteran from the 70's, game theorist, nearly habitual buyer and main supplier, casual preference gamer, Freemason drugrunner, two nerd girls, physics student, FLGS owner.
>>how many games is too many
All of them +1.

That Pandemic Legacy picture even being there is silly.

Scythe I guess, and whenever Archaeology and Arboretum gets reprinted.

No idea, what archetypes exist other than That Guy?

When they don't get played within 6 months since the last play.

Finally got cthulhu wars. slightly used, but $100 sounds like a good price no?

I play a big meetup of people so N/A. A lot of them seem to be the reincarnation of some kind of professional poker players, newbies can never get a read on them.

No such thing altough my home is kinda getting packed with board games faster than expected. With multiple huge box games coming from kickstarter this year

$100 is AMAZING for a complete Cthulhu Wras.

>what archetypes exist other than That Guy
Going by the thread:
cutthroat
absent
alcoholic
>Math wiz, over-aggro dude, mister clueless, game encyclopedia, "but losing is fun too!", euro-snob, zombie fan #1, graphic designer (aka "game looks boooring"), traitor and filthy casual 1-5.
and
>Gaming veteran from the 70's, game theorist, nearly habitual buyer and main supplier, casual preference gamer, Freemason drugrunner, two nerd girls, physics student, FLGS owner.

Bompf

Just got Freedom, Dead of Winter, Five Tribes, and Waehammer ACG for my birthday. Plus I'm planning on picking up the rest of my collection that includes games I haven't played or haven't played often, like Shougn and Fief and 1775 and Rex. Just resurrected my local college board gaming group too.

Gonna be a busy month.

Last Friday, sorta, I'm waiting for the reviews basically.
Big Trouble in Little China Legendary, again, sorta. Do I really need a nother deckbuilder ? I'm already going to get rid of Marvel... That theme tho...
Honestly I'm not really hyped for anything right now. Pretty content with my games
Like many anons here life's at a shitty point. I have two groups I currently see SEMI regularly,
one is : Coop-Gal, surprisingly-sneaky-Gal and sore loser. Although the two girls are fine, Coop-Gal's boyfriend is a gigantic douche who gets mad for no fucking reason.
Other group is just a couple I game with occasionally, they mostly like coops but aren't against the occasional competitive game but they have the tendency to ally themselves to crush me. Lovers.
I'm currently just short of 200 games and considering culling a bunch. Mostly a space issue. I'd say as long as you feel like playing the games and you have shelf space, keep on truckin'.

What's the least stupid version of Munchkin?

Probably some unreleased set that was too good to unleash to normal consumers

The rumor is the Munchkin CCG is enjoyable to play and short enough, but then you run into the problem of it's a CCG.

Has anyone played the AvP game? If you put aside the kickstarter disaster and the horrible licensing issues etc. is the game any good? It looks fairly decent and seems like a lot of ideas are crammed into the rule book.

I own it but I'm yet to play it, the rulebook is kind of a mess.

Has anyone played Spector Ops? What were your likes/dislikes and is it worth getting?

>inb4 obligatory "lightning in a bottle or flat on its face, Fury of Dracula is probably better" STEEV answer.

I've lingered here too long...

Bump

I have been playing the talisman digital edition it's really fun I imagine it's even more fun in real life.

Also doppelgangers are not fun

Have any of you played Crossings or Epaminondas? An user on Veeky Forums mentioned it a few days ago. They're two similar modern rules-light abstract strategy games that can be played with Go / weiqi equipment.

Between Here I Stand and Virgin Queen, which one is stronger? I know they're both similar but I can only get one right now and I wanna know which is more enjoyable.

>>what games are you looking forward to
Conan, The others, Endure the stars, Arcadia Quest inferno, Xenoshyft Dreadmire, Myth Journeyman (kek)

>>what player archetypes compose your regular group
The liar, the thick headed, the prodigy, the awkward

>>how many games is too many
I go by category. For example, I have thunderstone, nightfall, and the RE deckbuilder. I really don't want a 4th. I'd rather just replace what I've got before going too far past 3.

Also, as anyone tried pic related? Thoughts? I love wyrd's aesthetics in pretty much all their products, but PW aint cheap for something that would look neat but suck rulewise.

By stronger I don't mean buff, I mean which one is the better game, especially for a group used to just diplomacy and some machiavelli. We wanna go on to the "next level"

I've found that it's a game that's as good as its players. Either the agent or the hunters can quickly make rash decisions and poor plays, leading to the other side winning several rounds in. Or, each party can agonize over the potential moves their opponent might make/might have made. In the case of the hunters, playing effectively (against a competent agent) requires heavy discussion and analysis, leading to 10 minute rounds. I've had games end in 30 minutes playing against a reckless agent, and I've had a game last for 4 hours. Basically, your mileage may vary, and if you don't enjoy steamrolling other players and appreciate a challenge then the game is only as good as as much effort the other players are willing to put in.

It's quite simple mechanically, but the nature of the game requires both parties to fully understand all possible equipment cards and special abilities for the agent in order to play optimally, so expect your rules explanation to run quite long. If possible, include in this a breakdown of the official FAQ, which will probably take you 5 minutes, as the agent asking about niche cases mid-game could reveal information about their movement.

Overall, one of my favourite hidden movement games.

it's what I call good podcast vidya: mute the sound, stick on a good podcast and play into the wee hours of the morn.

Motherfucker that other Amazon stole my kill

Thanks for your opinion, user! Looking forward to trying it out now

Here I Stand has more combat, Virgin Queen has more diplomacy, iirc.
Virgin Queen is also about $50 cheaper.

Why are GMT games so expensive? Small printing runs?

I don't lurk here much. What's wrong with Munchkin?

In this particular case the price of HIS is more due to the fact that it's out of print, so people wanting to sell it can set the price. Otherwise the price is the same as for VQ, and if you jump on the P500 for HIS now it's actually about $30 cheaper.

After about 2 minutes of the first (and only) game you've seen everything it has to offer. Then you get to sit through who knows how long of tedious, desperately unfunny, poorly illustrated cardplay. Mercifully the game will finally end where someone will almost win (and get shot down) and then 2nd place will win because they got lucky.

How much setup time is there for Mage Knight? I hate games with long setup times and fiddly mechanics like Eldritch Horror so I was wondering what MK would be like.

I enjoy Kovalic's artwork, loved Dork Tower, so Munchkin is OK in the art department IMHO. Munchkin is fun depending on the crowd, you can play mediocre games and still have fun with some friends.

Well its called Munchkin, so I'm under the impression that its for adolescents and children, who probably don't know much about strategy and tactics.

Good Intro for kids IMO, but not for adults.

Except it's the last game children should be subjected to. Certainly for my children, they should be playing games which help teach them key skills and critical thinking.

Falling Sky: Gallic Revolt Against Caesar (pic related) and 51st State: Master Set are both on preorder for me and showing up shortly. Can't wait to play a COIN game, and god damn does Falling Sky seem good. Who doesn't want to play as the invincible Romans fighting the unwashed Gallic hordes? And 51st State is gonna be great as well, I expect. A mean, aggressive, exponential engine builder with a race target. Mmm, yeah.

Eh, I usually go to open gaming groups so I play with so many people that I don't have a 'regular' group. Plus I don't enjoy putting people into buckets.

I've got 51 games on hand and another 28 preordered or Kickstarted, although 10 of those are tiny minigames. So far they all still get played, and I get a good library to rotate through with what I bring. I can see getting more to be problematic, though. I'm doing my best to slow down the rate of buying / KS'ing / preordering games, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference...

Munchkin is fine... unfortunately, most gamers don't want to play something that's fine, when they could be playing something good or great. The main fault is that it's a humour game; specifically, the kind where once you read all the jokes, it's just not as funny.

Doesn't help that there are so many mash-ups between Munchkin and lots of good games e.g. Munchkin Gloom, Munchkin Panic, Loot Letter

As this user said - the game becomes very predictable (2nd place player wins better than 80% of the time) and very repetitious extremely quickly. The humor wears thin quickly (how many times do you find hearing the *exact same joke* funny?), and buying 'expansion' packs only prolongs the agony / delays the inevitable.

For the money, there are far better products on the market that will remain enjoyable and thus replayable for far longer than Munchkin will.

It's on par with Eldritch Horror. Less shuffling of cards, but you have to stack and randomize a bunch of monster chits.

It's also a very long and involved game. I've never finished a game of Mage Knight without feeling exhausted by the end.

Mage knight is FIDDLY as fuck. It's VERY fun, the mechanics are smart and challenging, but you'll be overwhelmed by all the moving parts.

I love it but it's definitely not for everybody. I have only played it twice in nearly 5 years to be quite honest.

>Can't wait to play a COIN game, and god damn does Falling Sky seem good.
Yeah I'm beginning to think I might have to get Falling Sky as well. There's so damn many COIN games to choose from and/or wait for though:

Andean Abyss - 90's Colombia
Cuba Libre - Castro's revolution
A Distant Plain - the very recent Afghan conflict
Fire in the Lake - Vietnam war
Liberty or Death - American revolution
Falling Sky

Made the P500 cut:
Colonial Twilight - the French-Algerian war, 2-player
Pendragon - The Fall of Roman Britain

Unpublished prototypes:
Shattered Star - Somalian conflict
Thunder out of China - China-Japan wars 1937-1941
Iron Butterfly - Marcos era Phillipines, maybe 3-player
A Terrible Beauty - Irish war of independence 1918-1922
Another two unnamed prototypes, Angola 60s-70s and I think post-WW2 Yugoslavia

That's a total of fucking 8 confirmed games in the series, and given their reception I don't doubt the 6 games in development will have much trouble getting backed either. This series is a real win for GMT.

BUT WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET I CAN'T FUCKING DECIDE

I used this to help me decide based on complexity since my group isn't into the heavier war games out there.
>boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208026/item/4588251

Neat.

Any boardgame involving Napoleon that is worth playing?

That's an odd fetish to have.

For me Falling Sky is by far the standout of the crowd. I absolutely adore the time period, having studied Roman history in the past and actually having read an English translation of Caesar's Commentaries on the Gallic War, and on top of that Falling Sky is the second simplest COIN game to date. Only Cuba Libre is simpler, and Castro's revolution doesn't really speak to me.

The only real competitor for me is Pendragon, but I don't know nearly as much about that time period and that game looks to be one of the more complicated COIN games and also a huge stretch of the system because it's not actually a counter insurgency at all. Hell, it isn't even a war; Pendragon is set over a period of over a century, and represents the slow cultural shift away from Roman control of Britain towards Saxon control of Britain. But, that one's almost a year away, so I'll keep my eye on it and if I like Falling Sky enough then I'll probably nab Pendragon at retail anyways. Not sure I want to P500 it considering how high their shipping cost is, it ends up being significantly more expensive than CSI and other online retailers.

Liberty or Death also looks good, but again is more complicated, and is sold out literally everywhere right now with no reprint in sight. I may nab that one on the second go around, again assuming I like Falling Sky, but as a first entry it seems like too much and if I wait any longer the final copies will disappear entirely.

>my group isn't into the heavier war games out there
The COIN games all have a bunch of wooden bits in them, convince your group it's really a card-driven euro with heavy theme :^)

Yeah Falling Sky and Pendragon are those that are most appealing subject-wise for me as well. Then there is ofc the complexity factor, so atm Falling Sky is looking better and better. And worse for my wallet lol

I'm not really looking forward to any specific new releases. I'm looking at a couple games to add to my collection but my group hasn't played for a month, so there is no real urgency.

guy who never 'gets it', tryhard, couple people who will try to screw other players over, guy who once behind in points will play the game as if blindfolded

I'd argue that once storage becomes an issue you might have too many.

I jumped onto the P500 for Pericles. It'll be my first GMT game assuming I don't pick up Dominant Species or Twilight Struggle first.

Shitters.

I've probably got too much. It's almost starting to spill out of the cabinet I put them all in.

Please don't judge.

Here we go, this is the game Veeky Forums needs in their collections.

kickstarter.com/projects/1568956838/oppai-go

For an extra 9 euro you can even add a pair of officially branded Oppai Go white panties your order!

Who would you play this with? Goddamn.

Don't forget, those white panties have in game rules too! They are a first player marker; the first player must wear the panties on their head. This gives them +1 hit point in the game, due to their protective head panties.

>Who would you play this with?
Anyone on /a/, /e/, /h/, /u/ and /jp/

I'm pretty sure this is cancer and I don't want it.

Well, that is definitely more awkward than Tentacle Bento.
The art looks far worse and Tentacle Bento at least worked with innuendo instead of just being completely tone-deaf.

I'm amazed that it hasn't been removed from KS yet, like Tentacle Bento was. Maybe one of the game's devs are in on the kool-aid, or perhaps KS has actually gone neutral like they said they would. After all, they did allow that MRA movie campaign to complete, to my surprise.

Huh. Didn't even notice Tentacle Bento was taken off KS.
Probably because I was not directly a backer.

It was actually very passive aggressive of Kickstarter; they left it up on KS, but they wouldn't allow new pledges to be made. The 'pledge now' button was still there, it just errored out when people tried to. And at no point did they communicate with the devs, either. Absolutely namby-pamby way of dealing with it. And since it was at the time underneath its pledge target that meant it was guaranteed to fail.

Well, it pulled through in the end and turned out to be severely lacking in the actual game part and the girl variety.

Great ideas with superb design and horribly disappointing execution seem to be something of a running theme with that company.

>great idea
>tentacle bento

You don't have to personally like it, but the number of backers speaks for itself.
The project got funded easily, even though KS didn't play nice.

pic related

If it makes you feel better about yourself...

>even though KS didn't play nice.
Oh, wait, it's THAT one! Yeah KS people were special kind of cunts about it.

nah, I'm a sicko too

There's the Command and Colours set for that time period, one side is the French while the other is an alliance between England and Portugal. Plays similar to Memoir 44, cards to activate units on either flank or the center, has some historical re-enactment missions and stuff.

What do people think of board game youtubers? Dice Tower, Watch it Played, Rahdo are the big ones I know, I especially like Watch it Played.

To be fair, I'm not Steev but often voice the same opinion.

In my experience it's ok, but one side usually curb stomps the other making for a frustrating experience.

>backing anything by Megacon games after the first Myth fiasco

Kek indeed, you deserve what you will undoubtably get. The company's name should have been your first clue.

I wasn't criticising him, it just depressed me a little that the first thought that came to my head was his usual response to the question, due to me having laid in bed reading these threads almost ritually. I've never played SO.

Watch It Played is awesome, I love it. Rodney is so chill, I'd love game with him.

I've tried watching The Dice Tower but they're way too cringy and autistic for me.

>Dice Tower
Reviewers are meh to decent depending on the reviewer, but there's enough to find someone who's taste/style you enjoy. Live sessions are kinda blah Top 10 lists are prolly the best, with the convention ones being funniest.
>WiP
Good way to see how a game plays, but breaking gameplay videos up and waiting for input before doing another session annoys the fuck outta me.
>Rahdo
Shaky cam can give motion sickness, and his stationary cam is usually at an odd angle, but prolly the best videos out there for seeing how games play. He does too many kickstarters for my tastes tho, and doesn't seem to ever bash anything.
>Gamenight
Better than Rahdo but not frequent enough, and the players aren't as personable. Watching them discuss games is a lot more helpful though, since they don't all enjoy the same things and are more critical.
>SUSD
Bi-weekly news has them behind all the time now, humor is very hit or miss, and they recommend every social game ever. Still the "welcome" section of videos are worth watching/showing to casual/non-gamer friends, and their new rules explanation vids are quite well done so far.

>Hearing regular contributors to /bgg/ in your head when seeing repeated questions
Right there with you user, if you were here for pic related you really have been here too long though.

I have all of the COIN games released thus far and just ran through the tutorial scenario for my copy of Falling Sky that came in the mail last week, and damn if they're not all really interesting in their own ways.

My only problem is that I can never get anyone together to play them, but I think that's the curse of everyone who likes heavier games.

>hear about these COIN games everyone talks about in these threads
>decide to check them out
>go to GMT games website
Jesus christ my eyes! Someone get these guys a graphic designer who doesn't live in 1997.

On a related note, on a scale of Ticket to Ride to Terra Mystica how complex/heavy are these games?

They make TM look like TtR.

>Someone get these guys a graphic designer who doesn't live in 1997.
It's like you want the games to be even more expensive.

seriously? Wow, probably not for my group then. I doubt we'd ever finish a game even if I could convince them to start one.

maybe they'd sell more to offset the cost if the website didn't give people eye cancer.

>if the website didn't give people eye cancer.
The kind of people who play GMT games don't give a shit.
>seriously? Wow, probably not for my group then. I doubt we'd ever finish a game even if I could convince them to start one.
They're really not THAT heavily. Definitely heavier than TM, but not enough that it makes TM look like TtR.
Get Twilight Struggle or Dominant Species to test the waters.

>Jesus christ my eyes! Someone get these guys a graphic designer who doesn't live in 1997.
It could be worse, I'm in the midst of working on a cloth map for my buddies who play Dawn Patrol, they're currently playing on a cardboard backed map based on the original. Shit's fugly and I originally wanted to do a nice screen printed map to look like real terrain but apparently they prefer it to look as plain as possible, so we're going lo-fi with a drop cloth, 8 tubes of caulk and some apple barrel paint.

Played Werewolf (cringe), Suburbia, and Innovation tonight. Wish I played some new stuff but hey
My friend got Amerigo which I've been wanting to try for at least a year. Also Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. I've been daydreaming about Mega Civ for the last couple weeks, I need to befriend someone who owns it
When you take away all of the obvious derivatives, rehashes, rethemes, and ripoffs. If you discount all the mediocre, flat, uninspiring games. Even if you reason away all of the great games that would be totally unreasonable, impractical, or cost-prohibitive for me to own. I still only own a fraction of a percent of the board games remaining. Yet I'm starting to run out of space. Life is suffering.
>how many plays
My most played game is technically MTG or Yugioh (probably hundreds of games each), which may also be the ones I technically spent the most on (hundreds of dollars) But since I'm done with those, my next most played is ONUW when you factor it by number of plays (50+). If you go by time elapsed it's a pretty close race between 4 of my other favorite games, probably around 20 hours each.
Archaeology is out. Good luck on Arboretum, Z-Man doesn't know how to stock anything without Pandemic in the name.

Fucking DAWN PATROL! I love that game. First tabletop I ever played with my dad and uncle as a kid. For the aerial combat, we used scale biplanes on telescoping rods set in a pegboard. Tons of fun.

Is Tanto Cuore good for two players ?
on that note, my bf's birthday is coming up, I'm looking for a 2 player game. something war oriented would be stellar

Yes, good for 2.
Neuroshima Hex
Memoir 44
Heroes of Normandy
Twilight Struggle

thanks user
anything else good not necessarily war themed?

Anyone tried Tokaido?

is it any good?

It's quick and easy, so it's a nice board game night opener, but there's not much more to it.

Thank you very much. It was either that, Mage Knight or Android Netrunner.

Haven't played Mage Knight, but a word of warning for Android Netrunner:
As with any other collectible game, it's a slippery slope. Not for yourself, but for your wallet.

If you have friends to play it with, go ahead, because it is undeniably a splendid game.
Just be aware that it is a game that demands dedication.

Well, technically, you could just buy the base game and call it a day, but it's up to you whether you can resist the temptation to buy new cards so you can tweak your favorite deck further.

We have a game shop that lets you play any board game you want, from Jenga to Settlers of Catan (as long as you order the overpriced onion rings).

We'll be dealing with the Netrunner base game only and I hope that's enough fun for a game night with friends.

When will FFG do something more fun than fucking Star Wars after Star Wars shit?

They released Android: Mainframe less than a month ago.