Kickstarter Thread: Shill edition

A thread to talk about all the Kickstarter Veeky Forums games you want.

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets
kickstarter.com/projects/1191819023/ankur-kingdom-of-the-gods-rpg
kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/this-war-of-mine-the-board-game
kickstarter.com/projects/1915792245/load-the-board-game
kickstarter.com/projects/438141406/anachrony
kickstarter.com/projects/1216685848/the-dark-eye-rpgenglish-edition
kickstarter.com/projects/1205265935/ave-roma-premium-edition
kickstarter.com/projects/833494208/trigger-discipline
kickstarter.com/projects/arcanagames/blood-and-bone-a-low-fantasy-rpg
indiegogo.com/projects/necronomicorp#/
youtube.com/watch?v=TiXCVk5lpNE
indiegogo.com/projects/j-bone-industries-fantasy-football-frogman-team#/
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1581671/summary-findingsrisks-load-campaign-and-archon
patreon.com/encounterquest
encounterquest.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/thecrimsonhind.pdf
encounterquest.wordpress.com/encounters/
sentinelsseason2.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F-4drbJyXUWxFg_EzzBsrprzPciAtRdZZLyUStl3abI/htmlview?pli=1#
beta.tabletopia.com/playground/play/anachrony-ivb2fs
kickstarter.com/projects/554542735/space-raiders-the-orcs-are-here
kickstarter.com/projects/1800215991/mothership-tabletop-combat-game
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gamed worth mentioning:
Red Markets, via @Kickstarter kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/red-markets
A game of economic horror. Zombies and the economic gap: the RPG
ANKUR-kingdom of the gods RPG, via @Kickstarter kickstarter.com/projects/1191819023/ankur-kingdom-of-the-gods-rpg
Sumerian myth meets the ancient aliens conspiracy
This War Of Mine: The Board Game, via @Kickstarter kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/this-war-of-mine-the-board-game
Based on the video game, enjoy the luxurious life of a civilian in a war torn area!
LOAD the Board Game, via @Kickstarter kickstarter.com/projects/1915792245/load-the-board-game
League of Legends: the Board Game

Anachrony, via @Kickstarter kickstarter.com/projects/438141406/anachrony
The world's ending. Save it with time travel, and maybe make the world fit your ideology in the process.

The Dark Eye RPG—English Edition, via @Kickstarter kickstarter.com/projects/1216685848/the-dark-eye-rpgenglish-edition
German Dungeons and Dragons in English
Ave Roma Premium edition, via @Kickstarter kickstarter.com/projects/1205265935/ave-roma-premium-edition
Roman hard euro board game. No one has ever done that before.

Out of all of those, ANKUR is the only one that doesn't sound stupid and/or terrible. And it's meh at best.

There's more info at ankur-rpg.com if you want it. It's interesting, to say the least.

Song of Swords. I've been waiting since 2013.

I'm definitely stoked for Red Markets. Already pledged and have been re-listening to the Brutalists campaign they've been posting in their podcasts as promo. It's really good stuff.

Anachrony and Last days of Sol both look cool, and they're on track for funding.

However, I thought this looked interesting, and it's really not doing well at the moment.

kickstarter.com/projects/833494208/trigger-discipline

I mean, you can kinda see why. A light duelling game with repeated art and no miniatures isn't the flashiest thing, but I thought the mechanics sounded pretty cool.

Of the ones listed, I'm only pledged for Red Markets and Ankur. They both are weird enough that I feel compelled to pledge.

What do you guys think about Blood and Bone?
kickstarter.com/projects/arcanagames/blood-and-bone-a-low-fantasy-rpg

Same, though I've not really got the capital to be backing many things right now. Still, even for someone as burnt out on the zombie genre as I am, Red Markets sounds like a neat take on it.

Honestly? Everyone and their mothers have made a "gritty, realistic" fantasy rpg, and I haven't been impressed with any of them. They would need to make something incomprehensibly awesome for it to be worth the time of day.

>LOAD
>An honest-to-God tabletop MOBA
uh

Isn't it, like, the 3rd of those? There was Rum and Bones, and something else.

Yeah, it's an idea that he said "what monster represents this idea best?" (the idea being the zombies represent the crushing grind of mundane economic pressures that might never touch you or might totally ruin your life forever, and are always there and never going away) instead of going "okay, zombies, now what?"

I think there's potential in the concept, but LOAD seems to be taking it too literally, IMO.

I'm working on a concept similarly inspired by DotA etc, but more abstract, with a general tug of war across the board instead of specific minions, and an almost worker-placement mechanic, placing your heroes each turn in various locations for various benefits. I'm also changing the nature of combat, to be more about holding the line than killing the enemy- HP isn't something your opponent takes away, it's a resource you spend to hold the line if you're on the losing end of an engagement. Of course, assassins etc might have abilities to attack HP directly, or to punish attempts to hold against them, I'm still playing with details.

So it's like Day of the Dead, where the zombies represent rampant consumerism?

More they represent the sucky aspects of poverty. He's explicitly stated that it's a game about being on the wrong end of the capitalist knife, inspired by his youth and early adulthood being on the wrong end of the poverty line and then coming into a fucked-up labour force after graduating college. It's about having a sucky job that might kill you but still having to do it because the alternative is worse. The zombies aren't monsters, no-one's scared of them because they're everywhere and everyone knows about them and you see them every day, but they'll still kill you, just like the guys who work on construction sites probably aren't scared of heights because it's their everyday life - but they'll still fucking fall to their death if they're not careful.

In the game the aforementioned risky, sucky job is being a Taker - someone hired by other survivors or what's left of the US government to go out into the zombie wasteland to carry out jobs ranging from killing specific zombies (don't want granny wandering forever) or reclaiming ID's and property documents for the government to get ready for the eventual land-grab after the reclamation.

The weirdest thing about Red Markets to me is that there are so many idiots saying that it's a libertarian game because it's a libertarian setting. It's dumb.

Who the fuck says that? He's described how he's specifically dug out as many anti-capitalism quotes he could to use as fucking sidebars.

I think it's the post-apoc thing, and the evil gubmint agency trope. Those are both magnets to libertarians.

Is indiegogo valid? I played this game at a con here a couple of weeks ago and I though it was itneresting. Can take a while to finish a round but it was an interesting concept in my opinion.

Turns out they just opened a crowdfunding campaing indiegogo.com/projects/necronomicorp#/

What's it about?

Red Markets sounds interesting but zombie apocalypses are so played out and boring. Wish they'd gone for something that wasn't so overused and actually TRIED designing interesting monsters rather than combining every zombie trope available.

It's like playing L4D in a board game. You are in a building with other people and you all need to work together to defeat monsters and get out safely. The entire building is blocked so you need to get to the last floor to win.

It's cooperative, not competitive. You can die but then another person can revive you.

Each character has a mental disability that will change the way they behave and how they can interact with other players. You are also given weapons, ammo (if the weapon requires) and other shit. You can put dispensers in floors to restore HP and ammo. Entering rooms or going through halfways trigger events. Outcomes are decided by dicerolls.

>inb4 some sjw boycotts the game because of the mental illness as gimmick

Well, he's actually talked about that and said the fact that everyone knows zombies is kind of the point? Like, it's not about zombie-as-monster. And he has in the past deliberately designed new monsters to subvert old tropes (the No Security scenarios) so he CAN do it, he's explicitly using a familiar trope because "zombies are how we talk about totalities".

Is anyone else gonna pledge for Ankur? I like the idea of it, and the art and system seem good enough, but the guy has mentioned he is an alien conspiracy theorist, and, at the risk of jumping to conclusions, I instantly assumed him to be a crazy man.

>the guy mentioned he was a crazy man
>so I assumed he was a crazy man

That's a fair assumption, user.

But the guy seems to know what he's doing. Is a crazy man in one way worth trusting to make an RPG? I mean, you could say that all RPG creators are crazy, but not like that.

Just because he's going meta about things doesn't change the basic math issues with a zombie apocalypse or that they're incredibly overused.

>that they're incredibly overused

Are they? I actually went looking through my local nerd store's RPG section for anything zombie related since I was in a zombie mood and I could only find two sort-of relevant things. One was a GURPS book so, you know, ew, and the other was one of the End of the World books. That was across all their shelves.

I mean, if you're talking overall, in all human media, they're one of those things that goes through periods of intense popularity and then sort of dies down for a while - like Westerns. If I recall, there's a chart mapping how it sort of alternates between vampires and zombies in terms of what the zeitgest creature is in a given period of pop culture.

Driftwood Verses look promising

>Ivan Escalante Victoria

guy's art is kinda cute

What's that about?

youtube.com/watch?v=TiXCVk5lpNE

I haven't seen anything that's not really generic frankly.

What's the overall consensus on The Dark Eye? Been eyeing it myself since the announced the KS and was considering shilling out for it.

None.
The only stuff from Kickstarter I want is vidya and only some of them.

>2016
>Still waiting
Keep being fucking deluded

i am definitely backing this frog team on indiegogo
indiegogo.com/projects/j-bone-industries-fantasy-football-frogman-team#/

the full team gets your enough extra star players to never have to worry about having to little lineman

i mean, is it anything else you receive but pdf's?

could just pirate it.

i couldnt care less about rpgś i use it to get expensive boardgames for cheap.

Just FYI, LOAD is a huge walking scandal and pretty much guaranteed to be one of those problem KS projects.
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1581671/summary-findingsrisks-load-campaign-and-archon

Anybody backing LOAD should seriously read through that thread. Anybody looking for a good time or wishing to engage in schadenfreude should do so as well.

Not being Kickstarter, but somehow crowdfunding also, Encounter Quest is looking pretty well for its first month, I gess they'll get more patrons for the next month.
patreon.com/encounterquest

By now the first "Encounter". They say next months they'll take the suggestions of the supporters for genre, etc.
encounterquest.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/thecrimsonhind.pdf

And the complement they have in their blog.
encounterquest.wordpress.com/encounters/

I am waiting for Shattered RPG. Will come out this summer.

There's a fine line you have to walk when creating a project between being original enough that you're interesting and being generic enough that you're not alienating. Like I've seen plenty of Kickstarter RPG's fail because you have to spend so long explaining the high concepts that there's no room for anything else and no-one sat around for the whole explanation. Something that has a good elevator pitch you can sum up in a few easily-relatable words (like Red Markets - "It's capitalism - with zombies!") and THEN elaborate on generally do pretty well.

Looking forward to Sentinels of the Multiverse's upcoming digital expansions (too poor for the print version sadly). It's a great superhero card game, does a good job of having each hero have different gimmicks and play styles even if a couple of the villains are lackluster (looking at you Gloomweaver). Kickstarter finished but buying it here gets you many of the benefits and counts towards stretch goals:
sentinelsseason2.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders
And unlike most of the stuff in this thread you can be pretty much certain of delivery and preview most of the product here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1F-4drbJyXUWxFg_EzzBsrprzPciAtRdZZLyUStl3abI/htmlview?pli=1#
The last few bits aren't in print yet so we don't have much info on them beyond vague lineups.

I'm willing to shill for Anachrony, sure. They came out with a Tabletopia version of it, and I keep trying to four-hand it (play a game as 4 different players) to get a feel for it and man it's exhausting. Twice I've made it two rounds in then had to take a break due to mental exhaustion, there's just so much game to keep track of. I usually don't struggle that much with this sort of thing; the only other game that gave me this much trouble was High Frontier.

Pic related is the second attempt so far. It's definitely a fantastic game, and I'd seriously love to play this in person. With the minis, of course.
beta.tabletopia.com/playground/play/anachrony-ivb2fs

That is TOO MANY counters, sir. It offends my design sensibilities.

I mean, from a practical perspective the more different kinds of counters you have in your game, the more shit there is to lose.

But user, the minis, think of the minis!

I don't know anything about that, just that I like the one on the right end.

How many of you fuckos missed out on Bones 3?
I'm getting the howitzer and cthulu, painting them, and then running a world war 1 elder god apocalypse game, JUST for the setpiece session

I got in just for the huge as fuck Tiamat statue.

Anyway, the one I'm backing now that I'm interested in is Polyversal - they're trying to make a universal 6mm wargame and have a bunch of diff. manufacturers providing minis (including the guys who make Dropzone Commander)

Even in Veeky Forums culture zombies are overdone. There are board games out the wazoo with zombies.

>One was a GURPS book so, you know, ew
Fuck you too friend

>tfw sjgames stopped selling magical edition of basic set

It's okay. I haven't seen any other good TRoS successor since then.

>>A thread to talk about all the Kickstarter Veeky Forums games you want.
I want Machine Age to deliver Apotheosis Drive X, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. Serves me well for believing that, even though they had partially delivered every other KS they had done yet, SURELY they would deliver this one because Fate Gundam.

Also, I want to see a Fate or OSR D&D adaptation of Fallen London on KS, but that's not going to happen. The one stint Failbetter had at TTRPGs was an PbtA adaptation that failed to generate more than a teaser webpage, done by Elizabeth Sampat, John Harper and Vincent Barker. PbtA isn't my thing.

LotFP-based sourcebook for fantasy sailing adventures. Sounds a lot like Moby Dick + Sunless Sea.

Sail in the Dark. Go mad. Eat your crew. Die alone. Unheard.

I'm a sucker for nautical stories, Fallen London/Failbetter games stuff, AND LotFP, so I backed that one reflexively.

Dudes have done 2 other KS and they do deliver, so I'm comfy.

* Lots of good gritty fantasy RPG going around by now. I'd rather play Shadow of the Demon Lord, to be honest, or that gritty fantasy game done by Ron Edwards. Shadows of Esteren is my thing, so I don't know.

* New designer. One man job. Running this KS as a full time job. Lowballed his own int'l shipping rate (flat $20 won't be enough for the southern hemisphere audience). Text is still not complete ("mostly done", needs more writing and editing).

I'd be uncomfortable backing up this project. It looks to me that the guy has way too many chances to fuck it up. Bad Int'l shipping and quitting his day job are particularly bad red flags.

BUT! this is KS, it's about giving people the chance to go big or go home, so my sugestion is that you should back it only if you are cool with eventually seeing the project crumble and die and losing your money. KS is always a gamble, after all.

>Kickstarter
>vidya
The worst use of KS. Congrats.

I kind of want to start a kickstarter for my own RPG rules system.

Seriously, why aren't more people pledging to Ankur? Game seems crazy fun.

Not him, but I backed the Shadowrun games and Chroma Squad, and I've been pretty pleased.

KS for the Xia expansion went live today:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438045410/xia-embers-of-a-forsaken-star

kickstart was the worst thing that ever happened on the internet

How so?

Ehh it allowed a lot of people to make something they always wanted to.
It also allowed scammers to steal a shit ton of loot.

Good and bad.

Don't be an idiot and research your projects before you pledge. Of course, Kickstarter should be doing that first and foremost, but they're a publicly traded tech company so the shareholders are their first and foremost and the users are a chore to keep hushed up so they keep being traded.

Happy to see Red Markets doing so well. Quite excited about it actually.

Pretty much.

Even so you take risks. KDM is a good example. Poots did the Forsaker KS which did OK and then did KD which exploded and nearly killed him. Even though he did deliver, it's hard to know.

Poots is a god for pulling through with KDM and managing to break even. He's made some stupid, shitty mistakes and burned relations with his artists, but he did fucking get that shit done.

Anyone heard about Pantheon of Chaos? That was pretty awesome, but the creators just put up another kickstarter:

kickstarter.com/projects/554542735/space-raiders-the-orcs-are-here

Looks like they're bringing out some of the neat old Rogue Trader sculpts. From their initial lineup it looks like they've got a Zoat and Anbull plus some other neat shit that's old school 40k as fuck. Also a whole lot of Rogue Trader-like Orks. It's awesome.

kickstarter.com/projects/1800215991/mothership-tabletop-combat-game

Honestly, people can take a lot of notes from the KDM campaign, there's a reason it was so successful.

How much was already done when it hit KS (all of it)
How goals were shown
What dates the campaign ran through
The video
Actually having gameplay footage

oh which artists bridges did he burn?

The RT stuff you mentioned is mostly from an earlier KS actually, the current is just for more orks and a meter grom the paunch. (most of the old orks were freebooters who had one mini at best)