/lgbt/ here

/lgbt/ here.

Any of you ho/tg/uys have experience with gaymes?

Why are there games made for gay people?

I don't feel the need to play Hetero Weekend, why should gays?

People want to feel normal, like anyone else. They seek out representations of themselves in media to help promote the normality they want to feel.

Gay culture coalesced as a defence mechanism to institutionalised homophobia; they needed gay bars to go to etc. There's not a dedicated, explicitly "straight culture" because there hasn't been such institutional heterophobia.

>there hasn't been such institutional heterophobia.
tumblr is working on that

Yeah I played Dungeon World once.

You never played the game of life?

Just because you don't doesn't mean no one does, user. Hetero Weekend basically exists, pic related.

I'm gay and I've never played some explicitly gay game or something. In a tabletop, I've only had 5 or 6 gay characters as a dm over 10 years.

Never heard of it.

Two fair answers. Okay then.

Oh yay, another excuse for the faggots who can't shut up about their feelings and the /pol/tards who can't shut up about the faggots who can't shut up about their feelings to shit-fling at each other. Thank you, based OP. Whatever would we do without this gracious gift of a thread?

>I don't feel the need to play Hetero Weekend

I'm not going to crack the joke, I'm just going to point out how easy it would be due to the huge target you painted on yourself.

Until now, I didn't know they existed.

I mostly do not see the point putting emphasis on sexual orientation in a game unless it's specifically about romantic relationships or sex.

I forgot about that thing. Oh the 90s...

They do appear to be pretty one-note.

So lgb/tg/, how do you feel about having homphobia and sexism be a thing in tabletop games? I run a vaguely historical fantasy game. Pretty much low fantasy with Christianity being present and inspired by history rather than being a directly historical game.
The thing is that open acceptance of gay people doesn't exist anywhere in the setting and most of the gay folk players have met were involved in underground clubs and on the fringes of society. It's rarely come up in the campaign but I had a gay player seem kinda miffed that he couldn't be openly gay in the game.

The thing is though, I'm a fag too but having modern liberal values in a pre modern game destroys my sense of immersion as well as kinda trivializing what people went through back then and what kind of sacrifices folks had to make for us to get to this point.

tldr: Should I run pre modern games with prejudice intact or give them ahistorically modern values?

>OP's library.jpg

Part of me wants to tell you that history is dumb and you're playing a game to have fun, so just do whatever makes you and your players happy.

The other part of me is seeing red flags that someone is butthurt that they can't be open about something that is reasonably unacceptable in game. It makes me think that they made the character around the framework "LOL I'm GAAAAAY!" instead of it just being a sidenote like height or eye-color. These people are cancer and should not be tolerated.

But hey, whatever works, man.

Erasing persecution from history does not improve it, you could tone it down in fictional a setting taking cues from instances in real history and I wouldn't think any less of you.

Removing it entirely however for the sake a preserving people's feelings I don't approve of. Tensions, persecutions and secrets are part of the fabric of social history no life choice or large movement has ever had no backlash.

Please stay in your containment board.

Being a FICTIONAL setting means you have no obligation to exactly mirror the real historical period you're basing your setting off of. If you're basing your game off of, say, 14th century Venice but you've got ELVES then you're already not totally dedicated to realism so having social attitudes be different is no big deal really.

Now, this is obviously different if you're running a game set in a "real-world" setting (that is, instead of being inspired by 14th century Venice this game is SET IN 14th century Venice) in which case the argument for realism is much stronger.

>Hard On by Mike Hunt
>Hot Cop's Buns
>Cum-On Cowhand
>>Midnight Plowboy

>BUTTRUSTLE!

And we have a new butthurt.

>mfw gay board games are a thing

Some of my many issues with the new 7th Sea was how everyone seems to get along, homosexuality is accepted, and heroes don't do bad things.

A game of swashbuckling and political intrigue shouldn't go out of its way and lose sight of its roots in order to make me feel included I mean, there's a difference between not including people and excluding people.

I'm in the same boat as you, chief. And the way I tend to treat it is that if the prejudice adds to the game in a meaningful way, keep it. If it doesn't, nobody really gives a shit---like how Dragon Age Origins handled being gay; nobody really gave a huge shit.

It's a human only setting but I'd describe it as 16th century europe mixed with colonial america and then bits and pieces of other neat historical or fantasy stuff.
I care more about running a world with very different social norms and worldview. Every single fantasy game being a jeffersonian economy with modern values and a thin veneer of psuedo medievalism rubs my jimmies hard.
It makes for a dreadfully boring world and removes the fun of roleplaying someone fundamentally different from yourself if it's a world with the same outlook as ours.
For the most part, it's 1800's tier persecution. It can be overlooked for a while if it's on the downlow and a person is wealthy enough to not be touched while punishment is more social pariah status and potential imprisonment rather than torture or execution.
To me, having tensions, persecutions and secrets be in the game makes it all a bit richer. Half the game is based on various economic, ethnic and religious conflicts to provide adventure fodder.

To me, the 30 years war, wars of religion and whatnot are big inspirations for the setting. Christianity is a big part of how half the setting works so suddenly having 1500's christians be okay with gay folk would really go away from the ideas of the setting.

How bout a game of chess? cock

whatever works for the setting. so in the case of your low fantasy vaguely European setting that means hide your gays. In the case of an asian setting or ancient greece you may want to reevaluate what is acceptable for PCs. Though the greeks found it socially unacceptable to be a bottom and in general sexuality is pretty complex across the ages and not really worth considering unless it plays a heavy part in your setting's culture.

Why is /lgbt/ 30% mtf trans threads? I visited your board once (FULL of drama by the way) while sorting by number of replies and there were twenty of the exact same thread taking up the first few pages.

Also, any pen and paper game can be gay if everyone's up for it. That's the point of playing pretend.

Gay erotica has only just entered its post-modern phase.

You need to reconcile two very different appeals and goals of roleplaying: being someone else and being someone removed. You are focusing on the otherness, wanting to do something very different, even if that difference would realistically be horrible, as most of the history you're basing settings on really were. Your homo player is looking for a place where he can be homo and be removed from the consequences of it, not one that reinforces or doubles down on them. Getting the two appeals to match up can be pretty difficult and it's just not going to happen every time. If the game doesn't appeal to him, you don't have to change it, but he doesn't have to play, either. If I had to play a straight character, I'd just leave.