Monster Manual 2 Whereabouts

Where is this? Shouldn't this be a no-brainer for WotC to release by now?

>5e releases
At least they've not gone totally vaporware on the adventure module front.

They don't want to pull the shotgun release schedule they did for 3.x and 4e.

In general I agree with that approach, but it's been almost two years and nothing except adventure modules and a disappointing sort-of-campaign-setting... Are some more monsters too much to ask? :(

But you haven't run everything in the book and we all know it.

Well you got me there.... but I don't feel the need to run every available monster before adding more options...

5e is abandonware, even the adventure paths are outsourced to third-party developers. I suspect it's because WotC doesn't want it competing with their real cash cow (MtG) for nerds' free time.

Just ctrl+c/ctrl+v the stats from the earlier edition books and do some minor balance editing to abilities and CR's: This shit should take a semi-decent writer like three weeks.
>mfw

>WotC doesn't want their own product to sell well

Are you high or something?

This is Kikes of the Coast we're talking about.

D&D hasn't ever made Hasbro-tier money, and now it can't leech off MtG's sales to scoot by, so it's just a matter of how long it coasts before they mothball it so they can print Collector's Editions every 10 years.

There's really not much point in releasing content faster than it can be used up. Unfortunately for rpg publishers, rpg content is used up really slowly. And it's really easy to make your own.

>even the adventure paths are outsourced to third-party developers
They bring third-party RPG devs in to help with the heavy lifting. Most of the concept work and writing is all done in-house. It's the same shit that Wizards has done since 3e where they outsourced most shit to freelancers, but instead they work with established studios instead.

You might know this if you did some research instead of spouting memes.

user, if you're going to troll you need to be more subtle. Just spouting obvious bullshit isn't going to cut it. You're just making a fool of yourself.

Hasbro underwent a financial restructuring back in 4e; it used to be that Wizards could count all of its products under one big umbrella to count its entirety as a "main brand."

That isn't true anymore, now MtG and D&D have to each meet "main brand" standard (I think it's a million a year?), and while MtG has never had problems clearing that bar, D&D hasn't since more or less ever, let alone in 4e/5e's era.

I'm sorry but I'm just not buying this.

First of all, unless you work for WotC I'm doubt you're privy to their inner structure or financial situation beyond what they publish to shareholders.

Secondly, if D&D was such a financial failure they would have dropped it from their lineup long ago. Instead they just released 5e only 6 years after 4e was released.

Like it or not, people are still buying D&D.

Good, this is more subtle, however, it's still bullshit. None of what you just said actuality supports the idea that D&D is going to be "mothballed." Anyone who's interested enough to look it up knows that wotc's D&D department was downsized after 4e tried and failed to turn D&D into mtg style moneymaker. But if they were going to axe it they would have already done it. There wouldn't be a 5e. Anyone with half a brain who's been paying attention has realised that wotc now plan to make money from the licensing of the D&D brand, novels and games etc, as opposed to the game itself. They're still going to keep the game around and developed but it's not expected to be the main source of income because because rpgs just don't make that much money. No one has yet figured out a really good business model for them that can turn them into a CCG like moneymaker. Maybe no one ever will. So with 5e they're being cautious and conservative. They don't expect or need the game to make mtg money just off the rulebooks.

So yeah, you're still full full of shit.

>First of all, unless you work for WotC I'm doubt you're privy to their inner structure or financial situation beyond what they publish to shareholders.
This WAS published to shareholders, seeing as how it's kind of important information RE: investment and where your investments are gonna go.

>Secondly, if D&D was such a financial failure they would have dropped it from their lineup long ago.
No? Like I said; it's making money, just not "main brand"-tier money. Which means it gets no support from the mothership. Which, in this era anyway, means it isn't going to have a whole lot of money to toss around period.

>Instead they just released 5e only 6 years after 4e was released.
You don't think the rush of purchases created by a new edition had any monetary incentive behind it at all?

>Like it or not, people are still buying D&D.
What little of they actually put out.

They don't want their own product to sell well if they think it'll compete with another of their products that's many times more profitable.

>What little of they actually put out.

Most of the money D&D makes is from its merchandise and licensing. The name itself is worth a considerable sum, simply because of its recognizability and popularity. Selling the books is almost too much effort for the small amount of money they bring in, which is why they ended up deciding to release the core rules for free online. All this, because they recognize the easier they make it for people to play, the more popular it will become.

The problem, of course, and the reason TSR went bankrupt, is that D&D's popularity still doesn't encourage people to actually go and buy the merchandise if it's not good, watch the movies if they're not good, or even play the system if it's not good. All jokes aside, D&D players don't exhibit the same kind of blind devotion to their game as other fandoms do, at least in the sense of purchasing things.

There's like a dozen people working on everything D&D for WotC - and that includes marketing and vidya PMing. Of course they farmed out the work to other publishers with a sweet ODM gig, it makes business sense.

All of your electronics were probably built the same way.

>Kikes of the Coast
I lol'd.

That's because people wildly share and upload all the PDF's now because no one wants to spend 300$ on a Players Handbook, DMG, 2 or 3 Monster Manuals, and Adventure Modules.

Consider the fact that a lot of MtG players are autists and don't share or lend a single of their cards, compared to the tabletop RPG community which lends books all the time to one another, and you can explain why a good chunk of their sales are going down the drain (along with the negative connotation of playing Dungeons and Dragons which is still present, 30 fucking years strong and going).

If I look for players online, I have no shortage of finding them. Again, they need to market it better. Unless you were already into tabletop gaming, and specifically into RPG's, you'd have no idea 5e released.

Spend more time with normies, 5e is already relatively mainstream. It's launch was announced on most entertainment outlets, there is a D&D podcast in the top 100 comedy podcasts, and the books sell more than ever.

The only ones hurting are LGSes that are being bypassed entirely by the stigma of gaming, and how easy something like roll20 is.

I've purchased every 5e book released so far because I thought the system was fun ask me anything

I've noticed this too. It's pretty easy to pick up D&D books at your local bookstore chain. Hell, my local Barnes and Nobles even had Shadowrun and Frostgrave books in stock.

Rpgs don't compete with ccgs. They are quite different.
For fuck's they just released a crossover thing, so that kind of goes against your little conspiracy theory of them trying to sabotage their own product somehow instead of them just not making it any more which is something they could do if they wanted to. So, on multiple levels, you are completely full of bullshit.

It is difficult if not impossible in this age of ebook and PDFs to monetize rules books alone for a hefty profit. You have to sell other tangible "stuff" that isn't easy to copy/share with current tech (miniatures are next if home 3D printing takes off) I believe this is one of the reasons for the explosion of board gaming over the last 10 years or so.

Wizards is primarily interested in D&D as a brand so they can license it out. Licensing requires minimal time and money to keep a few lawyers around drafting standard licensing agreements.

The reason gaming isn't wildly popular like say pro sports is bevause no one has found a way to get rich selling it. Hence it isn't being pushed.

It's hard to "sell" people sitting around telling a story. You just don't need that much stuff to game for a life time. Dice, office supplies, some rules books (free online)...I own a lot of miniatures over 1000 and I bet over 25 yrs of gaming I haven't spent $3k on minis.

I'm a rabid gamer and on RPGs and RPG related materials including minis haven't spent over $6k in 25 yrs.

OP check out Frog God Games 5th Ed Foes of you need new monsters

All the new monsters are going into the adventures. Even if you don't want/need the adventure, you still might buy it for the new foes.

The MM is something like 300 pages big, and the Tome of Beasts has been successfully kickstatred with many bonuses.

We really have enough monsters, you just have a hoarding problem (and I understand you too well).

>Tome of Beasts
The content of that, at least what I actually find, seems like fairly lame OC. Does anyone really want an 'eye golem' or a 'void dragon'?

>eye golem
I'd use that in Ravenloft
>void dragon
Fits good in Spelljammer

I reckon this is no classic DnD. But surprising players is generally a good thing (unless they are change-fearing autists).

>Does anyone really want an 'eye golem' or a 'void dragon'?

Sure do. Where's this Tome of Beasts?

This is the
>kickstarter
for it: kickstarter.com/projects/350683997/tome-of-beasts-300-new-monsters-for-5th-edition

I found by accident the 5E cores along with tyranny of dragons and starter set in a normal bookstore in Turkey. Not a hobby store or Games Workshop mind you a normal bookstore chain. Saved me all the money I would pay to Amazon for shipping.