How does Veeky Forums feel about all human settings?

How does Veeky Forums feel about all human settings?

Depends on the setting.

They're my go to these days. That said, there's a shit ton of variations, even with humans. You wanna play a midget or pygmy? Go ahead. Wanna play a 7-8ft tall beer chugging behemoth? Feel free. Fuck it, it's the age of sail, go ahead and play a Cherokee pirate who survived the pox.

I like it. When I made my setting for my first game, I made no restrictions, so players came up with all sorts of wacky races. Had to keep adding more bullshit to explain where all these places are.

Also, some of my friends try to use race as a character trait rather than writing an actually interesting character.

Prefer it.

All the fantasy heartbreaker bullshit of MUH EGYPTIAN ELVES this time guise! Is just cringeworthy at this point. I've had over 20 years of traditional fantasy races and a few more of new agey bullshit races.

Historical fiction or swords and sorcery style humanocentric settings are just what does it for me these days.

I don't really care what other people want unless I'm gaming with them.

I like them, but my favorite are nicely focused ones rather than the kitchen sink typical dnd garbage with a million races rather than 3 or 4 well developed ones.

Don't really like them.

I prefer them.

It makes the appearance of something inhuman but intelligent all the more dramatic.

Servi — standard fantasy dreck, elves and dwarves and orcs and halflings
Plebes — humans only
Patrici — human-centric, with the dwindling Fair Folk living on the fringes of civilization

They don't really offer anything that standard fantasy couldn't also offer. The standard fantasy races inhabit a niche that humans can hardly cover. The fans pride themselves on how creative they are for not copying Tolkien, but then copy real world cultures like it's some form of accomplishment.

I prefer them. But I really like monster hunting, so Titans/faes/Spirits wrecking shit in human centric settings are my prefered, other races can exist but being more NPC.

Wouldn't it make the game overly class reliant.

But still better than anything else by default, mostly because of things listed by this user:

You just made Servi and Patrici the same you fucking moron

>2016
>HURR CLASSES DURR

Conan is the best approach. Wide, varied human races with a real anthropological history and mythological and original entities and monsters

>ITT: edgy elitists fellate each other about how their games or pretend and make believe are better because they arbitrarily limited the race selection to human

>Using classes in your game.
I bet you use vancian magic too.

>using classes

I prefer them greatly. Humans are (obviously) more relatable (even if the fantasy races are just "long-lived supermodel humans with pointy ears" or "stumpy humans with Scottish accents and short tempers"). And human drama is, to me, way more compelling than "stand-in for racial discrimination" or "vague simulacrum of a popular historical period" storytelling, let alone really bizarre shit with no real-world analog.

Then again, I've always liked the "game" part of RPGs more than the fantasy settings. I'm not really into much fantasy or sci-fi at all, though I definitely recognize that those kinds of settings can be used to comment or reflect upon the real world very effectively. I guess I just find that kind of thing way less effective in the typical tabletop session.

How does Veeky Forums feel about all post-human settings?

Greatly preferred. There's so much you can do with human politics/cultures/religion/racial features anyway that fantasy races are just aesthetic by that point.

I feel the only real exception is with prehistoric races or incredibly ancient/newcomer ones that show the great turning points in the setting. That's why the only non-humans in my setting are primordial demon-things that were the humans from our universe who survived the Big crunch.

Not all human settings are good, not all human settings are bad. I have no shared opinion on all of them.

Their shit. Every single one.

I prefer settings like those, but I'm okay with templates existing, so you can have magic and vampires and stuff, but they're all based on humanity.

At least for "serious" games, where there is supposed to be a bit of drama and realism. If we're just running a murderhobo games, anything goes.

0/10

I like them because the focus becomes more about the cliques that different people belong to, rather than "well, this entire race is good at fire magic". That, and it's really one of the only ways I can get behind an alternate timeline setting.

Yes.

good

Alright if it's a historical game. Kinda lame if it's high fantasy or sci-fi though.

If it's just a realistic/historical setting then sure. Though overall balance is probably better: Only a few well developed sentient species rather than a dozen of them who all really just act like normal people, but are green or whatever.

Also I prefer it if Humans are a lot more numerous compared to the other species so as to make them more special.

Tell me about your humans specifically, Veeky Forums. How did they come to be, both as a species and the individual factions? What makes them stand out? How do the different human ethnic groups interact?