I'm making what is essentially a D&D clone set in good old fantasy renaissance not!europe

I'm making what is essentially a D&D clone set in good old fantasy renaissance not!europe.

Any ideas for the core 5 races that aren't too overdone?

No fairies, please

1. Dickwolves
2. Sonichus
3. Landwhales
4. Genderqueers
5. Fairies

Feline kemonomimi (housecats, great cats)

Canid kemonomimi (dogs, wolves, foxes)

Rabbit kemonomimi and rabbit-fauns

Scaled sinuous lower body monsterboys/girls (nagas/lamias, merpeople)

Harpies

Bonus sixth race: Arachnes

Would you play in my world?

Aarakocra

Not widely known but fun to play

Plant people: peaceful and lazy, feed both on sun and ready organic a-la flytrap, move slowly and regenerate
Mushroom people: weird, warlike stunty guys who feed on decaying things
Undead who are sent from afterlife with a mission, but many forget what they needed to do and just seek a place in life
Land-squids, just squids that are big and can breathe air
Humans - explorers and sift-heads, inclined towards dark magic
Orcs - pic related, they are really good when they aren't XP fodder

Seconding this.
GAAAY.

>not even mentioning which edition
>renaissance Europe being a fantasy staple at all
Want to know how I know you're full of shit?

Human
Sub-human
Demi-human
Anthro-human
Refugees

1. Phooka
2. Grippli
3. Half-Ogre
4. Huldra
5. Warforged

>No Fairies

So pretty much NONE of European folklore, shithead?

Fine.

>Humans
>Kobolds (as in proper fucking folklore house and miner spirit kobolds)
>Spriggans
>Huldra - cow tail only to avoid weebs
>Ogre
Bonus Sixth
>Moslems

PS: These are all kinds fairies, because you're retarded, OP

Humans
Gnomes
Sylphs
Salamanders
Undines

>Scandinavian trolls living line the vikings
>British bog men practicing their strange earth magics in the mires
>Central European Bear Empire
>Mediterranean subnautical civilization of fish people who are neutral and trade everywhere along the European coast lines with their super fast submarines
>humans are migrants from the east, coming from their great slave kingdoms in the Middle East, currently stuck in a bloody slave rebellion, and are generally thought of as lechers and parasites by the other races, mostly because the humans try to fuck the females of the other races all the fucking time (pic related)

make the campaign human only and watch the quality of your player characters role playing skyrocket straight to mars. You wont go back.

I've been doing this to my players for years. Results are the real thing.

Seriously though. Humans are objectively the best race in every game ever.

What makes a human-only campaign make for better roleplaying compared to parties which aren't entirely human?

>Party with non-humans
>They play stereotypes instead of characters
>Either their race doesn't come up at all or it's their only trait
>Most of the time, they only pick that race for extra stats

>Party with all humans
>Race isn't at all an interesting thing for them since they are humans
>They feel compelled to give them an actual character beyond "Elf" or "Dwarf"
>They won't have to do a silly accent or some RP quirk
>They can slip into character more easily since playing a human is exactly like them

Thanks for clarifying, human-only campaign it is then

THAT'S PLAYERS' FAULT, NOT RACES

1. Satyr. Fulfill all of the roles elves do but less overdone and less stuck up. They love to party.
2. Tengu (I like the kind with red skin, long noses, and white hair instead of anthro birds. I do give mine some body feathers and bird talons instead of feet though plus a bonus in wind magic.)
3. Slime people. Very religious and worship their God Juiblex who they are all fragments of.
4. Living dolls. One of my all time favorite races. Led by matriarch artisans that know how to craft more. Maybe avatars of some spooky eldritch force? I've made worlds where they range from demonic to undead or, in my current setting, holy but with a trickstery nature. Lots of possibilities here. Variants can include living statues, armor, mannequins, etc.
5. Lamias. Need I say more? I just love them. I like to make variants based on different real life snakes mixed with human stereotypes from the same area. Dancing cobras that play flutes and have Indian features, southern rattlesnake cowgirls, swamp dwelling Cajun water moccasins, peaceful hippie garden snakes.

Those are the first five off the top of my head. Hope at least one of them inspires you.

You would be suprised. It puts players in a different mindset almost immediately.

You've got some shit players then.

I bet your male players can't even play female human characters without resorting to stereotypes.

1. Edenites
Essentially mankind, except with clean, good genes. Everyone is comparatively more tall, attractive, intelligent, healthy, and longer lived than modern humans. Also, they are uniformly pale skinned with white hair and red eyes. Edenites are an ancient race which has dwindled by this time, mostly due to competition with other races.

2. Codices
An artificial race of constructs. They are literally books, scrolls, and stacks of paper, but generally take human forms. They have little to no emotional expressiveness, and require magical energy to live.

3. Lilleans
Flower people, they have unnatural charismatic ability, both because they are innately very attractive and because they have a powerful aphrodisiac aroma.

4. Celestials
A catch all term for the denizens of other planes and their half breeds. Obviously a strong connection to the divine.

5. Monsters
Monstergirls, they've been invading and pillaging Edenites and Celestials past the point of sustainability, and their hordes have now turned in on each other. They have a natural stupidity and aggressiveness, brought on in large part by their insatiable libido.

As a matter of fact, one of my players played a pretty excellent female character for a campaign.

That aside, to blame players 100% for this is absurd. As a GM putting together a session/campaign/oneshot/whatever you define the tone from start to finish. Inherent in the rules, in player options and in all your rulings is the style and level of the game, whether its weaboo fightan magic, tense down-to-earth realism or creeping horror.

Player races are a faucet of this. A human-only game tends to paint a more serious picture - other races are strange, alien and not understood - while games with huge race casts are often typeset as 3.5/pf style fantasy. A player going into an all human campaign will often feel obligated to put more thought into a character to help differenciate them.

I am talking as a very vague 'in general' though. I would agree that player ability is the prime factor in characters.

Humans. (medium)
Ogres. (large)
Cat People. (small)
Fairies. (tiny)

What I gather from this isn't purely all-human, but much more single-race campaign.

It may be more true because humans are pretty much a blank slate and literally open for everything, while an all-dwarf party might still end up being a gimli-convention the humans could still field a wide variety of personalities and characters.

However I don't think that it is the humans that make the party better but simply the race-exclusive part.

>not overdone
>refugees

Every goddamn adventurer is a refugee these days

>Mice
>Hares
>Badgers
>Otters
>Squirrels

Flumph
Slaadi
Modron
Tiefling