WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting/Johnny General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

denofimagination.com/
bluetablepainting.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>How did you feel about the prequels?
not good but not bad, they were just Meh.

I had hoped to go for a imperial guard/sci-fi Vtol look kind of like this.

This is going to sound really gay but do you guys know of any decent painting services or individual painters that could do a (small) army's worth of models? I just can't handle my backlog anymore and I prefer to take my time on individual models for the skirmish wargames I play and D&D game i'm in, which isn't very productive toward big ass armies like in KoW or 40k. But I hate showing up every other week with an unpainted army..

where do you live?

West coast, US of A. I don't mind the cost of shipping overseas.

>Posted this in the last thread but it was already in autosage

I live in florida where it gets super humid, I've been working with an airbrush (Paasche VL w/ Blue testors air compressor) it's been fine for about 2 months but recently it's started spitting water. So I bought a Paasche inline water trap and installed it on the hose it worked great for about 10 minutes and then started spitting again. I've gotten a few comments ranging from "You need a better compressor." to "The humidity is too high to paint even with a water trap" has anyone encountered this problem before and if so what did you find was the solution?

>Scour eBay for literally weeks
>no Johnny

Feels bad

Responded in the other thread; do you not have a trap as part of your regulator?

This may sound obvious but you know it's not cheap right?

denofimagination.com/ - gives you like 5 levels of quality, based in poland.

DO NOT USE -bluetablepainting.com/

They drybrush everything, Person A sends them money, they use the funds to fund themselves, person B sends them money, they use this for Person A's stuff, Person C sends them money, they use this for person A and B etc... not necessarily scammers just shit business people (and painters)

I'm not looking for cheap. I mean, if you saw my backlog you'd know i'm not shy about spending money on my hobby.

Yeah sure, but USA, Canada, UK, etc?

USA.

Well I listed one there you can use but really just google

"army painting service" probably "+ usa"

Otherwise, you'll ship the stuff to country X and no doubt have to pay import charges
They'll ship it back and you may, again, have to pay import charges.

Den would be a good choice if you are looking for reliability that the painting standard will be high.

I'm on the hunt, every day and every night prowling ebay for delicious johnnies. My goal: nobody knows, but it's whispered that soon a chaos johnny will be born. Suggestions?

Vapers pls go

Anyone got a good tutorial/tips for sculpting 28mm torsos? I swear I can't seem to give my guy any pectorals and instead he looks covered in scars shaped roughly like pecs

>Scour eBay for literally weeks
>no Johnny
>Feels bad

Emperor's Teeth, user! Were you not in the last thread?

So what do you all think if the engines in mid wing?

No I don't that testors compressor is like a starter hunk of junk, other than making air it doesn't do anything. If it wasn't $9 I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I'm heading to a nearby hobby lobby now to take a look at the compressors they have, see if I can find anything. I think the problem in general is that I wanted to start off with the minimum and build up from there but it seems that's just gonna cost me more money in the long run.

The fuck are you on about? That's an airbrush not a mouth fedora.

You need to get a better compressor. An Aspire TC908 can be picked up for about $150. Hassle free, plug and play.

Id think about upgrading that brush too. Once you have the basics down, look at an Iwata hp-cs 'eclipse'. Or a Badger of any variety.

This spear is slightly fucked, which bugs me.

DO NOT under any circumstance use Frontline, or Blue Table for comission work.

Blue Table just flat out sucks, their standard is very low.
Frontline - I used to hang out with a couple guys that do comission work for Frontline. They were ok, but didnt seal, used cheap/bad primer, and various other unprofessional habits. One of them also steals from people he does local comissions for. Im guessing this explains why he moves to a different city once a year.

Didn't they get into some dumb teenage-shitfight style drama with another painting service or something?
I seem to recall them getting into some kind of drama bullshit with someone else a while back.

not dropping $65 desu

Finally finished off my goblin/grot squad. Wew lads. Had much fun painting the little guys.

Just make a new Johnny. Ive seen plenty of plastic Johnny's; I actually prefer them because scale and detail.

Beautiful.

10-4 I basically got the paasche for free cause of a gaming action I went to so I was planning on upgrading when a good deal rolls around.

They look great and considerably less Moot Green than the rest of your horde, how's Forgeworld going?

>not dropping $65 desu

Sorry, m8. Don't know what else to tell you other than keep watching, keep waiting. All da uvva wunz I've seen lately - including one in a different $65.00 lot from Noble Knight - are already gone. This blister was ~$25US, and it was gone pretty quickly shortly after I mentioned it here.

Damn, CAPTCHA... again with the storefronts?

Kinda sorta finished, just a few touchups and maybe highlights if i feel adventurous

What do you think?

>Finally finished off my goblin/grot squad. Wew lads. Had much fun painting the little guys.

Tell us of your static grass secrets! My first efforts at using loose grass instead of pre-made clumps looks... well, *weird.*

Is yours loose grass with some longer clumps glued in there, or ...?

Looks good, a little flat though, I'd love to see some really subtle highlights on the cloak edges (very subtle not fluorescent nuclear yellow)

Maybe do the lenses too

Further progress on my blackshield libbie

Cool, good luck and have fun man. It's a rough road while you're learning, but it's worth it.

>ventilate mother fucker

This is just for spraypaint right? Surely this isnt the stuff we get in paint pots too like GW or vallejo brand stuff?

Take a red 2 steps up from your basecoat, and edge highlight the cloth. Then take that same red, thin it to the consistency of fat-free milk, and brush very thin layers on the high points of the robes (top of head, top of folds). Let the layers fully dry before applying the next one. Building up brighter spots like this adds depth and looks great. Getting the consistency right is key.

A+ greenstuff.

The stuff in the paint pots is water based acrylic paint, non toxic, you could drink that shit if you wanted to. (don't)

It's just talking about the sprays

>melting chaos axe and legs
>clawed hand
>Ork armor

I don't think the Death Watch would accept him with no questions asked.

Its a HH blackshield. Aint nobody got time for questions^^

Thanks, i'll try it out, can always cover with the same red in case i fuck up

Decided to try out airbrush highlighting

I swear to god it doesnt look this bright in real life.

Hopefully some washes will bring it down

I'm Just having a whinge, I'll continue to keep an eye out, just want to join in is all.

I need to take an updated picture of my Johnny now that he's based.

how many Terminators do people usually put in a 2000 pts non-ZM list? 10? Maybe 15 or 20 if taking certain RoW/Primarchs like Mortarion or Horus?

It certainly is smooth.

it certainly is lilac

Looks like you hit it a little too hard. The lighter the highlight is from the basecoat, the less spray you need.

I would just take a white and edge highlight the hell out of it. Hit everything, rivets too. It will look pretty awesome.
That coat is nice though. Color looks great too. I did a fire raptor a couple years ago, challenging kit.

Looks like a teenage girl's bedroom

I have never seen more than 10. Though i have only once against a pride of the Legion, that can up the termiecounter significantly. And i bet mortarion would definitly take to the field with 30 terminators^^

Owner of Red Johnny, Green lenses here, should I dump his ass in dettol and have another go?

>ventilate mother fucker

This is just for spraypaint right? Surely this isnt the stuff we get in paint pots too like GW or vallejo brand stuff?

Glue too

Even if glue is odorless, it isnt vaporless

Thx

>I need to take an updated picture of my Johnny now that he's based.

Do, and post. I'll add him to the collage.

>Owner of Red Johnny, Green lenses here, should I dump his ass in dettol and have another go?

Why? Did you want him to be a distinctly different chapter from the Blood Angels?

Just base him. Your technique is solid, friend.

Fuck that messed with me for a moment.
Looked white at first, then the colour slowly started showing.

You mean the bend? Just warm it up and bend it back into place.

Please excuse the phoneposting. Working on my renegade Knight

>Hopefully some washes will bring it down

Dont do that. Do like said and edge highlight it with a white or lighter purple. Only put wash in the crevasses and recesses.

Posting some progress on my Iron Hands successors. I've never painted before so I thought I'd try different techniques out. This was on a old miniature so the details weren't in great condition. Black base with attempted highlights.

First step attempting a grey base and numerous washes.

Damn, I want one of those.

I was thinking about buying Silver tower or the Renegade box. Can't justify to myself buying both.

Whoops, meant to post smaller files. This is the furthest I've gotten with washes on top grey with a few minor highlights. I haven't touched the metallic areas yet as I was considering dry brushing the details on. I'm only using a single base and layer of the core colours I'm using. What does every one think? Any advice?

So I have gone with engines mid wing so the next question for you anons is should I go with wingtips up or down?

Nice base church

Nice but your heavy stubber is lacking in chaosy/spikybits so I would suggest a nice bayonet would look good.

otherwise false-emperor/10 would form warband with

up, the body looks like a German sdkfz 222 or 251, and having them up would look like a Stuka

thanks, I thought up may be a cool idea. Its funny that the wings should be stuka-like since this model started life as a german scout car. I will post the results for the wing tips soon.

I'm actually trying to find a good horror head to slip up the barrel. If I can't find one I'll just leave it as is

Does anyone have a good guide on painting metal discolord by heat?
I mean that effect you sometimes see on the barrels of melta and plasma guns.

I found one in the Forge World HH guide, but that relies on FW paints and airbrushing and I have neither of those.

Mig and Ak interactive doa kit that sort of works like a make up set that has
Similar effect. You brush on this sort of pigment stuff. Its super easy.

Otherwise you can try using clear paint with a brush and a lot of patience.

He's being facetious you dimwit

Loyalist black legion?

But did the Death Watch even exist at that point?

Anyone got pictures of patriotic marines for Freedom Day?

I was going for Iron Hands originally but thought if I heavily went with bionic conversions and add a few Chaos units like a Lord I could make them renegades under Black Legion.

I don't know if I'm just being lazy with the coats I put on but the paint on primer doesn't help. I've heavy black is hard regardless. I would like to try glazing as even the grey looks a bit flat but maybe a dry brush would make look table top quality.

I've heard black is hard*

Hmmm, thanks for the tip but that sounds a bit excessive compared to my needs.
You see, I DM a PF campaign for friends and since I'm the only one with hobby experience I also paint all the models we need.

Models for PCs get (a lot of) extra attention of course and for the new fire-focused wizard I thought it'd be cool to have his metal staff have that cool heat-effect.

But I'm not going out and buying stuff especially for that, not while I already have washes and glazes for pretty much all colours.

Actually, I asked advice on colour schemes for another model here in a previous thread.
And since this is WIP I'll see if I can get a decent pic of that model which is about halfway done now.

Looks like a completely normal Emperor's Children colour scheme to me.

No it didnt. Thats why nobody will ask questions^^ or do you mean deathwatch as in the recruits for the dw? Blackshield during the heresy meant a warband with no clear or no allegiance at all, thats what my libbie is for

Took a pic, it's kinda crappy but the best I can do at short notice in artificial light.

The gold's got two layers with one highlight of Burnished Gold to go before washes and more highlights.
The red armour plates hava basecoat and two washes (Carroburg shade and Devlan). The red cloth has the base and a wash of Devlan.
Shame the sleaves are badly visible, those are mostly done and came out in nice purpre for a touch of imperial grandour.
All the rest is just basecoated and washed either Devlan or Badab Black.

Still lots more to do, especially since I also have a footslogging version of the same character to do.

So, what does tg think of my fantasy-classical indians? Almost finished this fella, just a million more to go...

pic didn't upload

kinda racist painting them that colour :\

Progress on one of the cataphractii

Just finished my 1st Wyvern

You mad Tau cucks??

Mid wip shot of my eldar, experimenting with wet blending and glow effects.
Anything look off or needs improvements before I move onto highlighting? Suggestions?

Working on a bieltan farseer.

Eldar-- the most numerous race in the galaxy

What do you guys think? Still trying on Kabal names, I have "Violet Sun" as of current.

bad ass name

step by step on that blending? its very well done

Nice helmet, is it from the DE bikes?

It sure is! I was thinking of naming him Avery Arzurhis, His Kabal aims to plunder terrible technologies to aid them in stealing the very essence of the stars themselves... but to what end?

I'm curious to know, Did you use different paint for the guns or have they not been washed? I want to know why they are a different color.

good job too