EDH/Commander General

S T A X B A B Y edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ezuri-counters-of-progress-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kazuul-test/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chaotic-zerg-rush/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

do any of the old theme decks have anything worthwhile for edh?

What do you mean by theme decks? Precons? Old commander products?

uh...like, the old precon 60-card decks? or do you mean things like duel decks?

>stax meme

better break out the Narset :^)

like the old ass precons

reposting from other thread:

I'm not a huge fan of upheaval because it has no answers unless you're also playing blue, and adds a huge degree of power to a color that already has too much

I prefer the balance and limited resources over MLD because they at least leave some resources on the board, allowing opponents to have answers/additional plays

if the only answer that you have to a card is "just counter it" then it is too strong IMO. not everyone wants to play U

Jesus that guy's gross

uuuuuuuuh

just look at the decklists m8 they're all on the archive or sommat

for the most part they're shit though, and the ones that have good stuff are expensive as hell

I made a Narset player scoop to a Mana Tithe once with my Hokori deck

Felt wonderful

The majority were awful and have 0 value in them. Any of them that had value you likely won't be able to find for a decent price. Just get singles.

Time to be gross and build sedris infinite mana.

How to build hokori i want to play the archenemy no holes barred.

Going straight into both Liliana and Gisa. Holy fuck I love this card.

What does your playgroup look like?

Pic related is the decks we have played with for a while and are the most common.
>MB Uses a Brago deck depending on how he feels.
>TL Has an Archangel Avacyn.
>MD Has whatever silly shit he feels like making five minutes before a game.

We sometimes have other randomish people who come into the store and will play with us.
>Teysa, Orzhov Scion
>Mizzix
>Yeva
>Alesha
>Skithiryx
>Keranos

I myself play in player run tournaments and see a variety of decks, most of the time it is the same people.
>Zur
>Narset x2
>Nekuzar
>Maelstrom
>Damia

I am up for answering any questions.

>empty the pits for 9. set aside the 9 zombies to be perpetual 3 extra cards a turn
man when black gets card draw they can get some card draw. Load that into a deck with life from the loam and zombie infestation and laugh as you drown the world in zombies.

Empty the pits? That's the best you can do for 22 mana, or were you going to also Bog yourself? How about Underneath the Floorboards? Discard get a token, madness, get more and some life, too. Sadly, they all etb tapped, like most overflowing zombie spells. Hell, I'd rather use Army of the Damned than use Empty the Pits.

Or

I could just use Gisa with Phyrexian Dreadnaught.

Are mono color decks bound to be shit?

Can you actually make a mono colored EDH deck work and be able to win pretty often?

>this

>plus this

Wew

Mono white and red suck. Mono green, black, and blue are fine.

>tfw wanted to make a Kazuul deck

Well shit

I have a problem. I desperately need ways to flicker or otherwise reuse enter the battle field effects, in green black or colorless. I got conjurerors closet, roaring primadox, and I fear that's it.

Tell me there's hope.

>green
>black
>colorless
What you do is kill your own shit and reanimate it with Maren.

Sacrifice and reanimate?

Oh. Well I feel stupid, I forgot that whole schtick.

You sacrifice your creatures (ex: Ashnod's Altar), bring them back to your hand (ex: phyrexian reclamation), then cast them again using the massive mana you are generating as GB (ex: cabal coffers).

Temur Sabretooth
Mimic Vat
Cloudstone Curio
Deadeye Navigator
Ashnod's Altar + Nim Deathmantle
Voyager Staff

Don't worry, I did realize I seemed a bit dickish with how I responded.
Here are some real answers.

Not really flicker but reusable, you will need to use the graveyard to return stuff in GB the only flicker abilities are in WU

Mono-red control is pretty okay if you're willing to put in the utilities you need that red lacks. Y'know card draw, mana rocks, mana doublers, etc. Kazuul can work, user. It just takes a bit of work.

Oh thanks man, these are great.

I have officially gotten my group to all hate my newzuri deck with a passion. I feel like I have succeeded in making a truly perfect commander deck

Link bro, mine doesnt do shit, i either get hatefucked off the table soon as they see um playing UG or i get durdled to death

Is magiccards.info dead?

Do you know of any list I could look into?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ezuri-counters-of-progress-1/

Hopefully it can be of help to you. Quick edit was swapping a sylvan scrying for simic manipulator.

I have a list I've been working on for a week or so. It's not finished yet, but most of the pieces are there. You could probably springboard off this and EDHrec if you want.
Also, if anyone better at deck design than me has any input, that'd be great.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kazuul-test/

Flip Chandra or Ashling for mono red burn control?

My list is similar, i have a gocus on counterspells because ezuri dies the turn he his the table if i can counter everything or give him hexproof, perhaps more creatures with tokens is the way to go, thanks for the info ill try ot out

The best commander

There was an old Kamigawa theme deck that had a Sensei's Top in it, but I don't know which one specifically.

ResidentSleeper

Either one would work desu but Flip Chandra seems more likely to have a target painted on her compared to ashling. If you really wanted to punish opponent's in an amusing way, try Zo-Zu

Originally bought one for use in my mimeoplasm deck and ended up switching it out when I pulled newlamog. But she still has a home in nekusar

Has anyone used one of these to store their deck? It looks cheap and super durable.

Jaya

Burn control user here

Ashling is strictly better because of how easy it is for her to clear the board, but Chandra can be a lot of fun.

>Flip Chandra more of a target than Ashling

You have no idea what you're talking about. Ashling can swing for commander damage or wipe out the board.

Jaya is also good. More spotty than Ashling, but suffers from being a spellshaper.

Jaya a fun!

F U N !

Just get an Ultra Pro satin tower, user. Slightly cheap but sturdy and really good.

Jaya is great, nothing beats using her 'ultimate' with a scythe of the wretched equipped and stealing every creature on the board

I love me some good one drops. I really didn't expect to see something this good.
Don't underestimate red in this format. White though... White is a little special.

Ashling can do the same thing.

Ashling kills herself when she removes the counters, dumbshit. Unless you figured out the mono red way to make indestructible ashling and count on someone not running proper removal or some form of counterspells, ashling will work, but seriously ashling is shit

There are several ways to keep her alive, but I'm going to assume you're only pretending to be retarded.

Of course there are ways to keep her alive but you're the dumbshit for wanting to run a burn deck of all things in commander. If you manage to pull off a win I will be impressed but most metas will run you into the fucking ground

Secret tek for teneb?

Deck is just Reanimator+Goodstuff

Mono white can play an interesting game with linvala or Tails, and in a 3 man pod pull off an aggro/voltron plan if (really) lucky

Red has the bonus of more virtual card draw/mana and haste effect which are powerful in edh, and hence more options if they don't go down the wrong oath

I've won many games with Ashling. It's amazing what a 2 mana commander can do.

What do you think is the best commander for for D A N K S T A X ? like the bird wizard or...

>I won many games

I have nothing to go on but your word and you act like a faggot so I'm going to disregard it

Probably bird slut or GaAIV

How does ashling actually win? Is there a combo or is it simply draw lands and kill her every turn for commander damage?

Whatever you say champ. I'm not going to convince you. You're the one sperging.

I usually use Grafted Exoskeleton and Glacial Chasm.

Wow yeah i can see how that can make a quick game

Those are some shitty wincons bro

I agree, hitting every player for 10 infect damage on t8 is pretty shit bro

>inb4 this guy always has a t1 counter or stiffle or whatever blue disruption he starts every game with in his hand 100% of the time

Haven't tried the 110 version but I'd recommend the 150 count version especially if you plan on double sleeving. It can hold 100 sleeved cards no problem and 100 double sleeved cards snugly if you flatten all the air out of them (though to be fair different brands of sleeves have different thicknesses so beware). The nice thing about it other than the price is that it's compact and stackable.

The satin tower is also pretty good. It's definitely sturdier and more spacious. It has enough room for a double sleeved deck and token cards in addition to a bottom compartment for die and whatnot. Of course that means it takes up more space than the plastic box, not to mention that it's much easier to identify your decks with the plastic box since you can just put your commander in front.

I'd recommend the clear plastic box first if you're budget conscious and then to try the satin tower if you decide it's not enough.

I would not recommend the satin towers. There's a surprising lack of actual space, considering how tall they are, and the lid can be a bitch to get off. I've had mine for 2 years, and it still takes a decent bit of struggle to get the top off without using enough force to sling the cards across the room.

I love my satin towers, I actually have 6 of them, and I feel as if they're the sturdiest boxes you can buy for the price. They easily fit 100 double sleeved cards, and the dice compartment is nice at the bottom. It's like storing my deck in a brick. As long as you wiggle the lid back and forth while pulling open, it will click open easily. Can be a bit tricky, but that's the price you pay for the protection it gives.

Post 'em

Keranos wincon is casting him and following with an Obliterate.

Purphoros can be really good if your playgroup generally has games go on too long, it puts a clock on the game and doesn't draw much h8

halp with goblins please?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/chaotic-zerg-rush/

Shameless stealing your format.

We play with some other regulars from our LGS, but it's pretty rare, as we like to settle at one's home with drinks and play all night. 4th player absence is pretty sad, but we know enough players to be 4-6 each time.

>doesn't draw much h8
>Purphoros the OTK machine for everyone on the table

Literally wot.

Suggestions for artifact/enchantment destruction in Prossh? I have decimate and hull breach so far, and I'm undecided on what else.
(I do have a creeping corrosion and wave of vitriol coming in the mail)

Cut the lelrandum shit. You'll never get to seven mana anyways. Then cut the more expensive goblins. Now add haste enablers (anger, swiftfoot, greaves, think you missed a goblin or two) and ways to untap krenko (thousand year elixir, puppet strings). Zada doesn't do much here, same with staff of the flame magus, leyline of punishment, the dragons, sin prodder. Consider Eldrazi Monument, insane advantage and you'll never run low on willing sacrifices.

ok ty

I need this

I've never had that problem with mine. And as says, the dice compartment is pretty nice and it is easy to open yet it never dislodges by itself as well.

>You'll never get to seven mana anyways
But why

>Rafiq of the Many
>Harem Voltron
My sides

Because you'll have a swarm of fucking goblins? But you're right, expect people to do their best to mess with your plans, in which playing overcosted chaos effects is still not recommended. Instead I would take ways to protect Krenko, ensure his ability activates often, and artifact ramp.

Who's the best commander for a creatureless deck?

Mizzix, probably.

Keranos if you want the commander to be resilient on his own

Child of Alara
Anything white for ALL THE WRATHS

Mizzix/Melek for spellslinger. If you don't care about turning other stuff into critters, Sydri and I used to have a 5color enchantress with progenitus at the helm. Mainly to use all good overcosted enchantments with Starfield of Nyx.

Wanted to make a fight club deck full of werewolves and fight effects, is it possible?

I want to put this in something, but I don't know what

Runic Thar and 99 permanents. Unless you add that one sorcery, off course.

BG spider legend that can win at instant speed with infinite mana.

Personally I can't stand that card (it was houserule-banned in our group for a long while) because it slows games to a screeching halt.

Teferi

Which one?

OG Teferi. Since he shuts down casting spells outside of "during your main phase with an empty stack" for your opponents, it's a soft lock with Omen Machine since they'll never draw another card but they can't cast whatever card Omen Machine finds (but you can)

Really? One of them untaps things and the other prevents people from casting spells.

What are the essential stax cards/colours/commamders? Is blue a good stax colour?