>Playing?
>Brewing/tweaking?
>Your local Meta?
>Next MTG Purchase?
>Thoughts on the current Meta?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.

Other urls found in this thread:

modernnexus.com/topdecks/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/abazanocrats/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The overall and paper Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Modern deck primers link:
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

>Amulet Bloom came close but the fuckers banned it
Entirely because of that asshole Speck. Bloom was a fringe combo deck that went off maybe 8-10% of the time, and it was very fragile.

I'm convinced that if Speck didn't cheat his draws, the deck would probably still be around

Woah what the fuck

RG tron is a strong deck. Mono green stompy is cheaper and also plays big guys for you

Let me just have all the turns...
Not sure if 4x Temporal Mastery is the right number, as most of the time, you are not drawing it as the first card. A diving top unban would help tremendously.

Instant (12)
2x Cryptic Command
2x Gigadrowse
4x Remand
2x Spell Snare
2x Telling Time

Land (23)
1x Calciform Pools
1x Dreadship Reef
20x Island
1x Mikokoro, Center of the Sea

Planeswalker (1)
1x Jace Beleren

Sorcery (14)
2x Part the Waterveil
2x Serum Visions
4x Temporal Mastery
4x Time Warp
2x Walk the Aeons

Enchantment (6)
4x Dictate of Kruphix
2x Spreading Seas

Artifact (2)
1x Elixir of Immortality
1x Howling Mine

Creature (2)
2x Thassa, God of the Sea

Sideboard (15)
2x Boomerang
2x Bribery
2x Cryptic Command
1x Dispel
1x Hibernation
1x Hurkyl's Recall
2x Spell Pierce
2x Spellskite
2x Vapor Snag

Intruder Alarm?

tiers are abitrary
you can't quantify them

Top is not banned because its too strong its banned because of the metagame surrounding it, its basically a game legal way to stall for time and think at top level

Why the fuck are you bringing up intruder alarm for this? He almost literally is a phyrexian arena on a dork for B, even if you ignore spellshaping bears and both his abilities fuelling each other

I have never played a deck that brought as much salt as U Turns.

Looks good???
I guess????

Delirium is fun to play. It hurts to know it'll never be viable

It seems good just for the filtering desu, getting a 4/4 by turn 3 is just a bonus

Wizards of the Coast: making bears bigger since 2013

But top is legal in legacy, despite legacy demanding even more interaction. I can't see how top is banned for stalling when lantern control is a deck.
P.s. If you see a player spend more than 20 seconds spinning his top on competitive REL, call a judge.

Where is this high quality picture from?

Building a hydra deck. R8 me senpai. Trying to decide either to go with Genesis or Duskwatch. I'm thinking duskwatch over genesis because my hydras have x in their cost and start as 0/0 besides Bane. Bioshift is to manipulate my way to victory. Swing with a mystic and bioshift 20 counters onto him when he goes unblocked. My side is mainly against blue, as you see. My metas filled with control players.

Creatures
4x Arbor Elf
3x Elvish Mystic
4x Genesis Hydra
4x Heroes' Bane
3x Llanowar Elves
4x Primordial Hydra
2x Protean Hydra

enchantments
4x Market Festival
4x Utopia Sprawl

Instants
4x Bioshift

Lands
22x Forest
2x Ghost Quarter

Sideboard
2x Autumn's Veil
1x Guttural Response
2x Managorger Hydra
4x Mistcutter Hydra
2x Mutant's Prey
2x Naturalize
2x Wild Slash

Reddit

Anyone going to Lincoln this weekend? I'm showing up for the Last Chance on Saturday with a brew and a dream.

Bad aggro deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/abazanocrats/

I am mostly an edh player, but want to try out modern. I decided this was a good archetype to play, since it seems pretty fun.

How badly did I fuck up?

This has to be one of the most pushed bears Wizards have ever printed holy crap.
Almost makes me wanna play BGx
Maybe just BG actually, Rock beats seems totally doable.

Not playing actively at the moment but I'm brewing some R/W Norin Soul Sisters right now.

do you guys think that pic related could spice things up?
Is it a usable addition for the Soul Sisters archetype in general?

Eh could be used in Soul Sisters... I'll use it in my karlov commander deck for sure though

Just finished an Urzas Eldrazi deck so I can be the biggest shit eater. Just urza lands, Eldrazi temples, and cloud posts.

4x mimic
4xendless one
4x reality smasher
4x thought knot
4x matter reshaped
4x oblivion sower
1x ulamog and 1x kozilek

I really enjoy dropping in a thought knot and oblivion sower on turn 5.

Live in Lincoln, plan on going since already qualified. Toss up between Fish and Zoo.

Would a card like this help to make BW tokens become a more viable deck?

Best of luck to you mate

Are there any orky decks in the format? I want something big and clunky, but wins by force alone. RG tron?
I play U tron now, and have a few of the costly bits in my binder as well. Also I have 2x promo sylvan scrying for my meme deck
Yes, assuming the deck could even make it to turn 4

Holy shit thats broken

Stop posting your shitty custom cards.

As long as we're posting custom cards,
here's one I made for Kaladesh.

Are you fucking retarded? You realize that you can chain multiple of those together and your opponent can be completely locked out of the game on turn fucking four?

Custom card fags are cancer, go jerk yourself off in your containment generals and fuck off

I don't think it is a good idea to design around magical christmas land. Is silence a poorly designed card because people can lock people out of the game for four turns by drawing all four copies?

That said, does a card like this seem balanced?

You are literally worse than the cooldown faggot.

>can wrath with NO downside
>can prevent game loss
>can give you major card advantage

>for FOUR mana

"No"

DELETE THIS THREAD

But it requires three different colored mana in a color combination that doesn't see play and only allows you to choose a few of these options. It is like a more restrictive cryptic command except stronger against creature decks and worse against spell based decks.

That said, does a card like this seem like a good finisher for control decks in modern?

Stop this isn't even funny. My jimmies aren't even rustled by this grade school level trolling, you're just being an ass.

Have you considered that I am not a troll and instead am actually posting these ideas because they seem interesting to discuss?

If that wre the case, why are you posting them in the modern thread and not Custom Card General

Because when making cards based around modern, it is generally better to ask people who understand the modern format.

>Because when making cards based around modern, it is generally better to ask people who understand the modern format.
Which is exactly my point, why are you here?

Do you guys think lodestone is modern playable with ethersworn cannonist and amethyst of thorn?
Or modern playable at all?

>custom cards in modern
pls no
Anyway, this card excites me for RU decks

fucking moot

I guess I don't know if this is the right thread, but all the others seem to fit worse. If it is, then I'm sorry.

So, I've been out of the game for almost a decade, and I'm kind of considering fiddling around again on the cheap. I always loved mill decks, so I tried to put one together, but I've got basically zero awareness of the game, so I can't tell if it's any good. Hell, I can barely remember how to figure out how many lands to put in, so I bet I got that wrong as well.

//Artifact (2)
2 Alchemist's Vial

//Creature (16)
4 Carrier Thrall
4 Faerie Miscreant
4 Manic Scribe
4 Palace Familiar

//Enchantment (14)
4 Call the Bloodline
4 Sphinx's Tutelage
4 Vampiric Rites
2 Vessel of Paramnesia

//Instant (10)
2 Altar's Reap
4 Grasp of Darkness
4 Negate

//Sorcery (1)
1 Startled Awake

//Land (17)
7 Island
4 Submerged Boneyard
6 Swamp

I guess my goal is to use Call the Bloodline combined with Vampric Rites to trigger Sphinx as much as possible

it dies to bolt tho

You probably wanna check out a Standard thread, not this one. On another note, your manabase is fucked. I sometime miss out on my 2nd or 3rd land drop in burn and I run 19 lands only 3 of which only tap for one colour.

Is Dredge going to stick around? I want the cheapest tier 1 or 2 deck possible.

Please advise. I just don't wanna get owned hard by all the burn and RG Tron dudes here.

I guess what is the thoughts on lands right now? I'm avoiding most dual lands because the good ones seem expensive and I don't care enough about the game to pay for them.

But 90% of the deck is two mana or less to cast, so I figured I wouldn't need that much mana to generate.

It's simple enough to drop some stuff, I guess. How many should I look at?

Standard duals are dirt cheap, you shouldn't have a problem picking up 4.

>I guess what is the thoughts on lands right now? I'm avoiding most dual lands because the good ones seem expensive and I don't care enough about the game to pay for them.
Fetchlands into Shocklands is simply the best. If you have a single fetch in hand, you can get any color mana you need. You can choose not to take the 2 lost life if you don't need that mana immediately. There's nothing else with that level of versatility and consistency. Allied color fetches, specifically Khans ones, are the cheapest they're going to be for a while.

>But 90% of the deck is two mana or less to cast, so I figured I wouldn't need that much mana to generate.
A good manabase is more about tempo and fixing than about total mana generated. Not every deck is Tron or Bloom (RIP).

>It's simple enough to drop some stuff, I guess. How many should I look at?
There are cheap lands that are okay for tempo. Check lands (pic) are good. SOI and BFZ duals are some other decent and cheap lands, but those want as few lands duplicates as possible. (Prairie Stream is best with as few nonbasics as possible, and having two Port Towns in hand with nothing else is completely soul-crushing).

>forgot pic
oy vey

Why are you playing creatures in a mill deck?

Also, you're only playing standard cards, so call it a standard deck.

4x Sphinx's Tutelage
4x Fleeting Memories
This is the core of Standard Mill decks. Ignore Startled Awake. Your job is to draw cards like a madman. Gatherer is your friend.

They're cheap targets for Vampric Rites, and most of them provide some sort of card draw effect as well. And they can end up triggering the extra effect on the Scribe once I sac them.

I was looking at Fleeting, but then I noticed I didn't have any other clue based effects in my deck. Is it fine on it's own?

Put in the Sunken Hollows as well.

Thoughts on Unsubstantiate? Been testing a few in a delver list and it feels pretty good, spell bounce is nice tempo and hits Abrupt Decay.
I want Memory Lapse in modern

Why should I play this when Standard decks are only 200 bucks and keeping them current costs a few bucks every rotation?

Are you guys retarded?

Just play what you want my man. It's okay with us.

Emeria Titan just got SPICY

>I love having to buy a new deck multiple times a year and can't get enough of the overly simplified card pool

Nah bruh, you're the retard.

how bout burnzoo?

>Cinder Glade

Get Stomping Grounds faggot, you're playing aggro

Notice me sempai

So I am actually a brand new MTG player

I understand that this thread is for the Modern format but I can't seem to find any other thread where I could ask this question.
From what I have been able to gather and what some friends have suggested is that starting in the Standard format is a bit easier since the card pool is much smaller

you may all be a bit bias towards that but my question is what would be the best way to start building up a collection if I am willing to spend about 1k on this game in the next few weeks/months?

Don't play Standard, the constant rotation makes it a huge money sink.

Get shocklands, fetchlands + some good modern cards

On the flip side, Standard is probably good if you're just learning.

Get an event deck and some singles to improve it, that's your best bet for starting Standard.

I started with Modern as my first competitive format and I didn't think it was too much. I had already played casually for a couple of years before, but I don't know if it makes a difference.

Also as some other user mentioned Modern doesn't rotate so you don't have to renew your decks all the time.

get the other bushwhacker, it sets up well with Burning Tree Emissary. Also, I'd get rid of Ukabi Drake and go a couple Expedite and another Flinthoof boar, or Gore-Clan Rampager and oath of Nisa

Anyone play temur traverse?

I've been testing it out and it seems mediocre. Just wondering if anyone else has tried the deck

Is blue moon a good deck?

Because after the 3rd or 4th rotation you will suddenly realize that you could be playing affinity right now had you not wasted so much money on standard.

Where are your fetches nerd?
Ditch the spark Elementals for Nacatl and run a single Sacred Foundry or Temple Garden

d
>starting in the Standard format is a bit easier since the card pool is much smaller
Maybe, but you're going to be pretty bummed out when your investments rotate out, and are worthless outside casual kitchen tables. There are some cheap decks that you can put together, but for the most part, competing in standard is just buying chase rares and slapping them in a deck.
My advice for getting into standard is buy decent-looking bulk rares. New things coming in and old things rotating out can cause certain cards to get much better. Archangel of Tithes recently shot up in price recently when Khans of Tarkir rotated out (along with the insane mana fixing of fetchlands, which made mono-color decks stronger).

>start building up a collection if I am willing to spend about 1k on this game in the next few weeks/months?
I know it sucks, but buy lands.
Buy playsets of all 5 Khans of Tarkir Fetchlands. They're going nowhere but up, and you'll love them forever. They're useful even in decks that only run one of the two colors, since each fetch can find 7 of the 10 shocklands. Getting a playset of all 10 shocklands is a bit of a commitment, and you might not even build with all of them, so just get the ones in colors you want to play. They've been out of print for a little while, so while they're not going down in price, they've plateaued off a bit.

Then start buying staples for your preferred colors (Not staples of archetypes, mind you. That'll come later). Path to Exile, Serum Visions, Lightning Bolt, etc are used in a lot of decks of their respective colors.

Then start brewing.

I remember Rock...

Better than the Abzan Meme

Go for it, seems spicy and would go well as kind of a secondary Avenger when transformed.

Seems like a spicy addition to Dredge, besides it being a sorcery. But any thoughts?

If it could use the same mode multiple times this card would be the greatest thing ever.

Gonna try a one of in Jund. Seems nuts and interacts well with goyf and dark confidant.

I'm playing mono blue tron and thinking about killing myself

Do it

>two mana your infect opponent picks 1; discard 2 pump spells, or discard 1 pump spell and sacrifice target creature.
>two mana target storm player loses the game if they have goblin electromancer
>two mana destroy target hatebear
>two mana remove target burn spell and destroy target creature
Seems like a very strong sideboard card. Only useless mode seems like the lose 2 life one.

>Brewing/tweaking?
the spiciest meme UB Thopter Tron

I like playing burn, but I feel that I really need to start branching out. Whats a fun fast paced deck that won't blow my bank?

Your definition of fast-paced could be subjective. Could you elaborate on it?

To me, FAST is something like the Shadow decks.

How the hell does that card interact with Dark Confidant in any way unless you are able to consistently change the top four cards of your library?

Who else is getting new tech from EMN?

I'm going to be testing this Esper list with Blessed Alliance:

2 Snapcaster Mage

4 Path to Exile
3 Spell Snare
4 Think Twice
2 Blessed Alliance
2 Logic Knot
2 Shadow of Doubt
1 Negate
4 Esper Charm
4 Cryptic Command
2 Sphinx's Revelation
1 White Sun's Zenith

3 Supreme Verdict

4 Celestial Colonnade
4 Flooded Strand
4 Polluted Delta
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Watery Grave
1 Godless Shrine
3 Island
1 Plains
1 Swamp
1 Glacial Fortress
1 Drowned Catacomb
2 Ghost Quarter

SB:
3 Thoughtseize
2 Extirpate
2 Blessed Alliance
1 Disenchant
1 Celestial Purge
1 Anguished Unmaking
1 Wrath of God
2 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir
2 Baneslayer Angel

I think having maindeck lifegain and non-targeted removal in the same card is just what the deck needs to improve tough match-ups like Burn and Infect.

I'm also exited to see what Selfless Soul and Thalia, Cathar Heretic can do in Death and Taxes.

>Your definition of fast-paced could be subjective. Could you elaborate on it?
Something that wins usually by or before turn 5 and doesn't require remembering 10,000 triggers.

You might want to try out a combo deck then. Look at the decks here And yeah, my suggestion for Shadow (also known as Suicide Zoo) still stands.

You could rearrange the order in which you draw wih Bob. And with trample it's pretty shoule be consistent, which makes chump blocking ineffective.

6 Island
4 Thopter Foundry
4 Sword of the Meek
6 Swamp
4 Tezzeret the Seeker
4 Reshape
4 Ichor Wellspring
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Talisman of Dominance
4 Mind Stone
4 Expedition Map
4 Urza's Power Plant
4 Urza's Mine
4 Urza's Tower

3 Damnation
2 Pithing Needle
2 Relic of Progenitus
4 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Echoing Truth
2 Dispel

rate my shitter brew

Looks petty meme worthy. I personally think you should run an ironworks that way you can straight up go infinite.

This seems like the best card in the set and makes grixis control insane and will become a sideboard staple in many other black decks. The utility of a card like this is insane and allows for very strong trades; for example, gain 2 life, remove a lightning bolt is game winning against burn.

Ordered some cards from the chinaman this week. Got Goyfs, snaps, blood moons and some fetches. Going to build a temur delver and just needed the expensive staples

Regular OP here, thank you for posting a proper thread, minus the picture.

Here's a sassy spoiler.

Lol I just did this exact thing.

Snaps are too dark.
You get fs goyfs?

Valakut tech?

jesus. That's half a boundless realms

I can see it. It essentially lets you scapeshift again if your opponet uses some dank tech like pay no heed

Just think of all the landfall triggers that will stack up, holy shit.