MTG LEGACY GENERAL

SCG Worcester prep edition.

For us Americlaps at least, SCG Worcester seems to be the next big Legacy tournament. I'll be there rocking DDFT. Anyone else going? What are you playing? What do you expect, metagame-wise?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-07-16-blade/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Heeeey, was just about to make this thread. Wanted thoughts on a Daretti Stax deck I was thinking about building. I jlusually play MUD Metalworker but I wanted to branch out a bit. Something like:
4 Daretti

4 Trinisphere
4 Chalice
4 Tangle Wire
4 Grim Monolith
2 Crucible

4 Welder
4 Lodestone Golem

4 City
4 Tomb
4 Wasteland
4 Great Furnace
2 Barbarian Ring
4 Darksteel Citadel

I think you should go full retard and play some smokestacks. Also I sort of question the goblin welders when you have daretti. Maybe not the full 4? I don't play star type decks at all really.

Needs mox opal.

Maybe a 1-of Sundering Titan? I don't know legacy at all

Probably, I just threw this together on my phone, Crucible meshes well with the Stack.
I was thinking Petals actually, it lets me power out a T1 Daretti in conjunction with Monolith and is still a free artifact I can play and use for fodder with Welder and Daretti
Sundering definitely goes into this list, that's why I opted for Rings and Furnaces instead of basics.

2 Sundering Titan
4 Metalworker
2 Goblin Welder
2 Wurmcoil Engine

2 Lotus Petal
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Tangle Wire
4 Trinisphere
3 Smokestack
2 Crucible of Worlds
4 Grim Monolith

4 Daretti, Scrap Savant

4 Ancient Tomb
4 Wasteland
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 City of Traitors
4 Great Furnace
4 Barbarian Ring

sb
1 Batterskull
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Tormod's Crypt
2 Ratchet Bomb
2 Ensnaring Bridge
1 All is Dust
2 Sphere of Resistance
2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Trading Post
2 Spine of Ish Sah

Here's the list I ended up testing.

Playing Dredge, moving away from TES and other combo decks like all spells and Belcher because Dredge is more fun and doesn't die to Force as easily
Standard list but with 4 breakthrough, had some flex spots left. I've been testing to see if Brisela is any good in the deck and so far it's been pretty good but it's pretty hard to get off even though the meme value is great and it's actually a good card that can do things that sideboard tech like Elesh Norn can't do. It does better against stuff like RUG Delver and Shardless BUG, and is a better beater than Iona, Elesh, or Blazing Archon
Any other dredge players able to tell me what I can tech in for the Eldrazi MU? It wasn't a deck when I last played legacy, I assume you treat it like a scarier MUD?

I think you should have a little bit more grave hate in the board. Just one or 2 more pieces. I would also run the full 4 ensnaring bridge in the board.

mutavault/ factory over barbarian ring ?

Daretti removed ? Petal is bad with trini.

Just go full smoke with golem.

yeah, you're probably right, I haven't playtested vs any dredge decks yet.
>mutavault/ factory over barbarian ring ?
I wanted more red sources for Welder and Daretti
>Daretti removed ? Petal is bad with trini
To be honest I threw this together becuase I wanted to play a deck with Daretti and Welder, so it's really gotta stay. The Petals help me cast T1 Grim Monoliths, Metalworkers, Trinispheres and Chalices since I'm not running a 12 post manabase.
>Just go full smoke with golem.
I was considering replacing the Wurmcoils with Lodestones but the Wurmcoild play nice with Smokestack and Welder, making tokens on death.

>I wanted more red sources for Welder and Daretti
You really only have 6 cards that use red mana, 4 of which are walkers and all of the sources only require one red mana. Maybe you cna go down to 3 daretti, 4 seems like a lot, and throw in more control like another tangle wire and maindeck sphere of resistance or two which would do a lot in aggro matchups early on

3 Daretti and another Wire sounds good, but I think I want to stay at 8 red sources, being able to cast a welder on turn 1 is pretty huge, for example, this happened a few games ago testing
>T1 Furnace Welder
>T2 Tomb Trini, gets FoW'd so i welder it back into play saccing Furnace.
The earlier I can land one and get it online the better so I can get artifacts through countermagic. After testing i've had great sucess with Daretti and tangle Wire, since Daretti can function under a Wire and keep it online. Locked out a Sneak and Show player for 5+ turns with it until I could find a Sundering Titan to clean it up.

my opinion? unless youre really set on this daretti gimmick toss the card, it's trash. play goblin welder instead if you want it

You could switch some lands and put in mox opals or mox diamonds to keep up the red sources and exchange barbarian ring for something more useful. I can kind of see why you'd run it but legacy has a lot more powerful options and it lacks the features your other lands have, like the fact that they all are either sol lands, artifacts, or wasteland. go like 2 barb ring 2 factory and switch in diamonds for maybe like a trinisphere because you've already got crucibles. A lot of the lists I've seen don't run 4 trinis because it's a lot and since the deck runs a lot of low cost cards it wants to get out early it's detrimental to have it out too early

I like that, i'll go for factory and mox diamonds, the one thing I really like about Ring is that it kills Delvers, Deathrite, Pyromancers, Stoneforge Mystics and such though.

Yeah that's why I didn't think it deserved to be cut entirely but getting that early threshold to get it off while trying to keep your red mana up is is harder than just playing stuff like like sphere to slow them down instead of trying to go 1-1 with them on card advantage

well the thing about red stax decks is that they either want to run over those delvers and stuff before they matter (ie the metalworker accelerant mud list) or they want to have better answers than barbarian ring (painter + pyroblast and reb)

bump

the original spike on LED happened when they announced Eternal Masters won't have reserved list cards right?

Yeah, it was up to like 250 for a while and stabilized at like 150, which sucks even though I still have them. The reserved list needs to get changed or modified and some sets need to get taken off because this shit is ridiculous.

Think the new looting from EMN might go into any decks?

Whoops, wrong pic

Legacy is dead with the LED buyout.

t. knower

>card that like 3 decks use
It sucks but it's not the end of the world
Legacy is dead because landbases cost as much as cars

It's not going to stop me from playingnit online for free .
Part of the allure for me is that you can kind of play whatever you want and make it work. I mean dragon stompy and sea stompy are decks, and as long as you prepare for them combo decks aren't even a huge issue, you have all the tools to deal with them.

Pretty sure an artificial price bubble isn't the end of the world

Stompy is usually pretty good against combo actually

That's the best part, it's ludicrous that that kind of deck is playable in a format it shares with ANT, Miracles, and Dredge. Though sometimes I have to label my lobbies competitive so I don't end up facefucking some poor guys relentless rats deck or whatever.

>Cards that are on the reserved list are banned from legacy play
Would this benefit the format in the long run?

If I ever get 3 byes at a GP, I'm going to bring Goblin Stompy and beat the shit out of pro's

Would literally kill the format.

Miracles would probably become even better by losing very few spells
Burn would be quite good

What if they unbanned Jar? I know it caused huge issues in block, but Academy is banned sooo...

A bunch of fun and interesting decks die for no reason

Online is totally different, I just love playing in person because I can't stand thinking at a computer. I love legacy, I just hate seeing people being turned away from it because some essential cards in decks are hundreds of dollars because Wizards are stingy cunts that put collectors over players. Take away the land base and use prices from eternal masters and decks are a lot more reasonable. I'd be willing to pay 15$ a pack for vintage masters and they weren't retards about it. I sol
5-land stompy is fucking hilarious to play and costs like 40$ and you can play it however you want, probably one of my favorite decks of all time.

fuck no, at that point you're practically modern

would be neat to see jar back but without the insane draw engines it had it might actually be underpowered

If Jar was legal it would probably spawn some really aggresive MUD decks that forgoe Trinisphere and Chalice and opt for Petal and Voltaic Key, sounds fun.

Playing with shocklands in a waste/port/price format sounds horrible.

Paying 1 500 $ for your mana base sounds worse.

So remove the Reserved list

Thanks for all the help guys, this is the list I settled on, and it's played great. The Mox Diamonds really help shore up the lack or a 12 post base and play really nice with Crucible.

3 Daretti, Scrap Savant

2 Goblin Welder
2 Wurmcoil Engine
2 Sundering Titan
4 Metalworker

4 Grim Monolith
3 Mox Diamond
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Tangle Wire
3 Trinisphere
3 Smokestack
2 Crucible of Worlds

2 Barbarian Ring
4 Wasteland
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Mishra's Factory
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 City of Traitors
4 Great Furnace

sb
1 Platinum Emperion
1 Steel Hellkite
2 Tormod's Crypt
3 Ensnaring Bridge
1 All is Dust
2 Sphere of Resistance
2 Phyrexian Revoker
1 Trading Post
2 Spine of Ish Sah

>1 Platinum Emperion
Angel is better, it has flying, costs 1 less, still safe from stuff like bolt, and lets you live against infect or the odd servant game

>not playing imperiel taxes
>being this wrong

Im no expert on MUD, but I wouldn't run Welder in it. One drops aren't what you want in a chalice deck. If you're set on the Welders, cut the Citadels for Caverns.

Ichor Wellspring is also surprisingly potent in a Red Stax build

I'll test Caverns in the place of Citadels, it'll make the Metalworkers slightly worse but I suppose I have to make a sacrifice somewhere.
I don't think cantripping is really where I want to be, I usually never have a problem with artifacts to sac, stuff like tapped Grim Monoliths and Great Furnaces most often.

Metalworker doesn't need help to be an insane card. In general I like Cavern in MUD.

The purpose of wellsprings is to beat grindy decks by making welders/daretti draw an extra card every turn, it adds up

I don't know about that. I don't think I've ever seen key be amazing outside of it's obvious pairing.

Honestly in a format without Tolarian, Tinker, or Workshop... Jar is pretty useless. The amount of mana you need to make that card amazing isn't something you can manage with petals and monoliths.

Now with that said - maybe there's something you could pull off with Tezzeret (Seeker) and Transmute Artifact.The effect of Jar is crazy powerful, but figuring out how to break it would take awhile as you can't just jam it in your deck and expect it to just be another 2-mana Draw 7 like in Vintage.

+4 lodestone golem

Sure, just let me go get some recruiters.

>playing Magus of the Moon
>4 port, 4 wasteland deck
Wut

>not trying to build legacy decks for under 30$
that said imperial taxes is probably close to what I'd run if I had unlimited money. I'd include the werewolves like that one guy did too

Fuck these buyouts. What chinese fakes should I use?

Look on Alibaba or something. If people refuse to but cards at the inflated prices, they will go down.

Are you talking LED or did something else get bought out?

Can Stone/Deathblade compete without splashing blue or playing Goyf?
I have everything else but really don't feel like buying goyfs or underground seas and topical islands.

>12Post and Mono Brown Stompy die.
>a bunch of fun
lol no
Elves and Enchantress can use Nykthos instead of Sanctum and Cradle.
Angel/Sea/Demon/Big Red/Eldrazi Stompy can survive without City of Traitors in a 1-turn slower format.
Storm can already function without Diamonds, the "budget" versions have gotten top 8s at 5 rounders.
Dredge loses the most but is likely to get another "accident" like Breakthrough to compensate.
Lands now has to cast spells to survive, how unfair. They'll just have to adapt the Raven's Crime engine or something instead of depending on Tabernacle.
Other RL cards are mostly SB tech like Chains, Void, Null Rod, Cursed Scroll, etc. And they already made it clear we may see those cards colorshifted in the near future.

DnT is basically that.

How to spot a memedern cuckold 101
>Let's ban X card
>I dun get how legacy balanced SO LET'S BAN POPULAR CARD TO LE SHAKE STUFFERINO UP! KAPPA KAPPA KAPPA XDDDD
>I haet dwedge!! it unfair >:(
>Le reseve list cards r ban1
>Stuff toooo expensiveee
>C-combo is unfuns!!!
>Miracles is toxics!1

If you see any shitposts with this you're talking to a MEMEDERN KEKOLD tell him to "fuck off subhuman cuck and sniffle on maro's cock" because as a subhuman he must be reminded until he 20' his brains clear.

Splash red for fun I guess? Post your list

>>Miracles is toxics!1
It doesn't feel toxic but it still sucks that there's so many miracles players
I get bored when assholes take 3 minutes to use a single top trigger

I have a hyper aggressive RW list somewhere. It plays kind of like a stoneblade stompy if you could imagine such am abomination.

I'll see if I can find it.

How does it feel to know that modern is officially more diverse than legacy now? Does it make you sad that you spent 3000 dollars on a solved format?

Don't have the Ports or Vials for that. And it really isn't, D&T is very control-oriented while Blade decks are more tempo/midrangey.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/06-07-16-blade/

That's because useless "pro" retards insist on playing "the best deck" instead of a deck they can actually play well. Not really the deck's fault.
It's also why my meta is filled with BUG decks despite how popular Burn is and how much it assdevastates them.

Worldgorger.
That is all.

Dunno about Legacy but in Vintage this is going to replace Mikokoro in Notion Thief.dec

How does it feel that memedern is the short bus of mtg?

So much misinformation in one post...

Nykthos does not enable turn 2-3 kills

Without being able to reliably drop a lock piece turn 1, Stompy goes from tier 1.5 to tier 3

Storm without LED is not a deck. Infernal Tutor stops being good, the deck becomes pretty mediocre. Same with dredge.

Lands without tabernacle is about tier 1.5. You up the Glacial Chasm count and become much worse against aggro, which was the main reason to play the deck anyone. Ravens Crime remains unplayable garbage.

What other decks die?
High Tide, Aluren, Aggro-Loam, MUD, Tin Fins, Stax to name a few. In general, reducing the cardpool will reduce diversity

What to we gain? Burn becomes better. Show and Tell is the uncontested best combo deck, Death and Taxes is now a good matchup for it. Hooray.

Its pretty neat how you can destroy a metagame if you make the right call. Taking Tezzeret or Post to a Miracles heavy meta, or taxing Pox to a Delver infested meta.

You are assuming you're playing a post RLban deck against pre RLban decks.
Because you're a retard.
Agro is empowered by the use of shocklands, whick results in modifications to all current decklists and allows for the decks that lose the most to reevaluate and redesign.
Only decks that absolutely run on an irreplaceable RL card like Aluren, Meditate, Metalworker and Tabernacle become unplayable. Everything else remains a matter of good deckbuilding.

Miracles uses 1-2 cards on the list.
Miracles GENOCIDES aggro.

Fuck off memedern kid and suckle on maro's cock

The decks that will be good are Burn, Infect, Miracles, Stoneblade, Reanimator, Delver and Sneak and Show because they almost do not change. You aren't going to brainblast your way to some deck that somehow manages to be as fast as decks that existed before.

Daze becomes a pretty bad card with shocklands, but might still see play.

The real stupidity is the notion that banning cards because they're expensive is a good idea. Try playing a format before making idiotic assertions like "Nykthos is of a similar power level to Cradle in Elves".

Seriously, if you want to make this argument better, try playing or having more than a cursory understanding of the format.

He's a memedern kid, he's mentally challenged user.

He firmly believes borked cards like bstorm or fow are evil and meanie.

To be fair, I Brainstorm being a bannable card is actually pretty arguable. It is probably the most ridiculous card in the format.

Miracles constantly stabilizes at 2-4 vs Burn.

No-RL Legacy is not an attractive idea because cards are expensive. It's because enough cards DO NOT EXIST and faggots grading, ripping, vaulting or EDHing duals aren't helping the problem.

Right now SCG has more than halved their support of Legacy, MTGGoldfish are talking about a new format with the RL banned and some LGSs with medium to large Legacy scenes are proposing 5-proxi Legacy. All because we're past the event horizon of card avaliability.

>Ban RL = ban Brainstorm and FoW
Nice persecution complex.

GR8B8M8

Saffron Olive doesn't play legacy and wrote one article. Its a terrible idea.

If RL cards are so hard to come by, then why are they always available? Until recently, the retarded 'pump and dump" was only a modern thing. The reaction that the Legacy community is having to it (awareness and telling people to wait until the prices deflate) might actually be able to stave it off.

Wow, card merchants are pushing a new format that has more potential for profit to the detriment of the people that actually like the format? I'm amazed.

The problem is the reserved list. You don't deal with the problem by ramming your tongue even farther up WotC's anus and telling them you love the taste.

Hey lads, really want to get into Legacy (RUG delve is my deckfu), but of course at this point prices are pretty excessive. At the same time, I want to get my hands on Expeditions (starting at the top) before they start inflating in price.

I was gonna get expeditions before the revised duals, but now every few days a new reserved list card gets bought out. Should I focus my limited funds on duals first? They seem in danger of one of these buyouts...

You shouldn't be worried about buyouts, but buy your dual's first.

>Let's ban the RL! retards
>Not the same retards as "Let's ban X card bcus its used too much and hurts my fee-fees"

>Banning bstorm
>Good
>Ever
How to spot a baddie 101

Having no-RL Legacy be a thing isn't gonna take away your Underground Seas or the few opponents left who have their own and want to play against you.

>let's play a format like legacy but without the cards we can't even buy because nobody but starofdavidgames has them in stock
>same as your memedern boogeyman
If Tabernacles are so easy to find gift me a pair.

Thanks meighty. Should I worry about any of the buyouts that are actually happening? Was planning on getting an LED someday and some other RL cards, dunno if I should get one while I can or wait til maybe the price drops.

Not really, its a matter of supply and demand. The point of a buyout is to create a false lack of supply, but ultimately the supply has not really changed. If you wait it out, prices always go back down. Never buy a card after a buyout and don't buy into the panic.

>nobody but SCG has duals
Have you heard of eBay/TCGplayer?

that deck is degenerate and jesus christ its expensive.

It muscles a lot of non-blue decks out of the format, I wouldn't hate a Legacy without it.

You mean China with TCGMid prices?

Do people not understand how eBay's buyer protection work?

Yeah, because nonrestricted Ancestral Recall that also combats hand destruction is totally balanced and doesn't skew the format towards blue at all. No one thinks FoW is banworthy, 2-for-1ing yourself when you're not facing Belcher is pretty bad.

Not that I'm disagreeing, but the tempo from a Force can easily be worth 2 cards in the right position

The situations where you win off the fow tempo and where spell pierce or plain old cs wouldn't do the trick can be counted with one's fingers. Sure they exist but there probably won't be one in any given open/iq.

yeah im gonna firmly disagree
ive been playing bug delver for some odd 3-4 years and against a lot of blue decks i find myself keeping like 2 in if not the 4

Like you would ever be able to tell a well-worn modern fake from a real card without a blacklight and a loupe.

Like the average person purchasing doesn't have these things

Duals are pretty hard to buy out because there are so many of them and they were basically always sought after (rather than being draft chaff for a long time like some older cards)