Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Alex "not a furry" Augunas is writing Paizo's Blood of the Beast, which is for furry races and also some other 3pp book about even more furry races

N. Jolly's vigilante book playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit?usp=sharing

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

colorcombos.com/color-scheme-27.html
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/heralds/herald-of-passion
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Internal physiology
>External physiology

Why?

Continuing from last thread:
Some basics.

Hmm.. Noted. It would be difficult to really change up her overall appearance since the cloak and gauntlet are two parts of an artifact set. I'll see what I can do though

I like bottom-left.

In case you... uh... gut one, I guess?
Probably thinly veiled genital description in there too.

Top left and top middle a bests

Hey again. I personally prefer the top center, the top left being a close second. The red is a nice tie-in with the cloak once you break up all the black. I might try a lighter purple.

Top left looks great, really meshes well with her clothes.

>Internal Physiology

>Internally, kitsune physiology is virtually identical to that of humanity, both in their human appearance and in their true forms. Despite their canine appearance, kitsune are omnivorous and posess dental structures that are similar enough to those of a human that they can eat and process anything a human can. Meat, fresh fruits, fish, shellfish, cheese, and rice are dietary staples to kitsune, and though they are infamously bad at handling their alcohol, most kitsune enjoy a mead, spiced liquour, and wine (especially rice wine).

>Female kitsune rarely give birth to more than one child at a time, and multiple births for kitsune are considerably rarer than they are for humans. When a pregnant kitsune changes shape, her body naturally guides the unborn child through the process as well, making form alteration a harmless endeavour for both mother and child. Some kitsune claim that expecting mothers need to change shape regularly in order to impart this ability to their children, however most kitsune accept this as an old wives' tale.

Looks like Top-left is winning out! This icon isn't finalized quite yet since Elsbeth's scythe could look vastly different depending on what augments are approved of, but this is looking good so far!

See, what'd I tell you? A nice medium green goes great with red.

Her right hand looks kinda... tiny though.

She looks like a Christmas ornament. I think the red should be replaced with another color.

That it does; it helps tie everything together.

It does, but a chib-shit pic like this is meant more for a token and basic design configuration. Her right hand should look smaller than her left since it isn't dressed in a bulky and gaudy-as-fuck gauntlet, but in retrospect it is rather small.

..I have a bad habit of putting tiny hands on Elsbeth.

See, that's what I thought too. Admittedly the color scheme does work out for the most far, but it does ring something quite festive. It's why I was considering using white since it was a pre-existing color on her current pallet that was scarcely being used; however, the contrast between white and other color options seem quite jarring.

>...for the most far
>far
*part

How the hell did I fuck that up?

colorcombos.com/color-scheme-27.html

If you want to keep the red you should change the shade of it. Instead of the bright red make it like an orangy red like in the link. I just think the colors are a bit too bright.

>See, that's what I thought too. Admittedly the color scheme does work out for the most far, but it does ring something quite festive. It's why I was considering using white since it was a pre-existing color on her current pallet that was scarcely being used; however, the contrast between white and other color options seem quite jarring.

The user from before brought up a pretty good point; the reason the colors feel odd on Elsbeth is because her hair color and complexion doesn't mesh well with bright reds and golds.

Yep. Frankly, I think she wants neutral colours, maybe with some cool accents.

I'm going to be running Hell's Rebels for a group soon. Any bad things to avoid in the AP?

Silver accenting would work great on Elsbeth, her breastplate's mithral (silver-steel) already, she just needs to throw in some mint greens and baby blues to make that hair really pop.

All very good points. Honestly, I keep some of the tones brighter than normal because of the way I shade my pieces (using shade/multiply layers using contrasting colors; like using a bright blue to make the coppery-red come out with a velvet tone and texture). But I am going to want to toy around with different color schemes.

On note of her armor, the Twilight augment makes armor appear transparent, as if it were made from an amber colored glass, hence the gradient from orange to white.

Dragging this shit to the new thread, because discussing it is relevant to my interests. I've wanted to have something that only had the "all day" synthesist transformation (or something using similar rules) for a while. Agathiel failed to deliver on its concept and it gives me an excuse to homebrew something that actually works. If it winds up being just as shit? No harm done, and life goes on.

>Agathielunchained
>my autocorrect is so shit it just slaps words at the end of words

Fuck's sake, time to go disable that for real.

Alright, you guys need to crank the faggotry down at least two orders of magnitude. This is /pfg/, not Ru Paul's Drag Race

Hey guys,
what if,
and just here me out here,
We now got Warpriests and Hunters to play with,
So what if
We reduced Clerics and Druids to Wizard BAB?

Nah

>trying to fit in this hard

>Alright, you guys need to crank the faggotry down at least two orders of magnitude.

Nigga you don't have to be a gay warlock to understand pairing.

Oh come one, there's essentially no need for them to be both full casters and have 3/4 BAB now that we've got the hybrid classes. Plus it'll help mitigate a small fraction of the CoDzilla problems

If Warpriest didn't suck ass I might agree.

Too bad it does.

Eh, warpriest is good. It's a tier 3 class, it's got solid mechanics, access to a decent spell list. It's mechanically quite good.

What it is is boring as shit.

I wouldn't put it at Tier 3 since the Sacred Weapon nerfs. It has to expend too many resources just to keep up its basic ability as a Guy Who Hits Things to have the versatility T3 requires, and it's not good enough at its One Thing, nor is that One Thing inherently versatile on its own, to qualify by that metric either.

Seriously, it's a giant case of 'why bother'. Cleric and Cleric/Fighter work better.

Sacred Weapon got nerfed? Why? It wasn't even that strong in the first place.

Because having full BAB for one weapon and Bard speed spellcasting is just TOO STRONK for Paizo, apparently.

Even though giving all the mid-caster classes (Magus, Hunter, Warpriest, even Psychic Warrior) full BAB would put them on the same level as the fullBAB PoW classes.

Seriously, the bonuses the midBAB classes accrue from their class features and spells fix the TAB issue, so really all that happens is they get shafted on their number of iteratives (which miss often anyway without heavy optimization, and at that point why not just be a Cleric and CoDzilla it up).

Yay, is it this character getting spammed again!

...Well. I'll just go ahead and file that under "Things I Didn't Need To Know".

On a slightly less creepy subject, how was your weekend/holiday, /pfg/?

Nice to see you too, user

Being fair here, Hunter and Magus get enough workarounds to their 3/4 BAB that I don't think it's really an issue for them, but Warpriest kinda needed it.

Land of the Linnorm Kings has now entered the Inner Sea! The gang's currently docked in Corentyn getting papers for further passage, and the session ended with our Ulfen Merchant getting propositioned by a burly orc for some sanctioned streetside fisticuffs!

Turns out our 4'8 adorable Kitsune beguiler might be the best brawler in the group, girl's quick on her feet and hits like a truck.

>foxes
>canine

No-one should support an author who can't even do the bare minimum research.

I don't see the need for Warpriest at all, really. Just put the non-LG Paladins back in and let them pick between deity and ideal for their power source.

Yeah, I agree.

Hunter? Maqgus? They have niches. Hunter is THE petmaster class, and with proper setup can have a more powerful companion than a chained summoner's. Magus, particularly with the introduction of Eldritch Archer, is mechanically powerful in a number of different situations, and is the only class that lets you dual wield weapons and spells from level 1.

Warpriest, on the other hand, already has its niche filled by Paladin, Antipaladin, Cleric, Bloodrager, and even Alchemist, if you're comparing them mechanically. "Self buffs and then walks into battle" and "Divine warrior" are all it has, and other classes just do that better.

After a couple of people left our skull and shackles game (leading to a 2v8 fight that caused our boat to capsize and the PCs to swim for it)
I talked GM into allowing everyone 2 characters so we could have a group of 6.

Kind of sucks that the ship is kill and most people are dead, I spent a decent bit of time influencing those NPC scrubs and I still hadn't gotten the halfling girl on to my dick. It still isn't too late, we could find her body.

Don't forget Inquisitor too

>canine appearance
>dental structures that are similar enough to those of a human
>having a larger bearing on diet than digestive system and liver capabilities
>not understanding the basics of how specific shapes in carnassial dentition play a big part in determining what makes an animal part of Caniformia or not
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Foxes are Caniforms. Further, both dogs and foxes are in the Family Canidae, with the break down of course being at the Genus level, with dogs in Canis and Foxes in Vulpes.

They're essentially close enough to be both considered Canines.
Much like how Boutaloua curtapendula and Tripsacum dactyloides despite being different in different Genii are both members of the Poaceae family and thus are both considered grasses

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Clade: Synapsida
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Suborder: Caniformia
Family: Canidae
Tribe: Vulpini
Genus: Vulpes

>Suborder: Caniformia
>Family: Canidae
aka canines
Maybe you should do some research.

How do Adamantine bullets work with Metal Cartridges?

Do you just add the price for the crafting cost of 1 metal cartridge

Though Family does have far more precedence than Suborder in this particular instance

>Do you just add the price for the crafting cost of 1 metal cartridge

Same way you pay for the price of an adamantine arrow, probably.

Problem is arrows are individual items, the metal cartridge is as well, but it automatically reloads full capacity.

So it's 1 shot sometimes, 2 sometimes, 6 in a revolver.

>Foxes are Caniforms. Further, both dogs and foxes are in the Family Canidae, with the break down of course being at the Genus level, with dogs in Canis and Foxes in Vulpes.

Exactly. And that means that foxes aren't canines even though they're canids.

Guys, I found the Druid.

A single piece of adamantine ammunition costs the base cost of the ammo (15 gold, unless you're rolling with guns everywhere, in which case it's 1 silver and 5 copper) and slap on an extra 60 gold.

one metal cartridge is one piece of ammunition.
It's vastly overpriced in a rifle, and done in this way in order to fuck over people for daring not to use a bow; a crafted 7.5gp metal cartridge is, after all, equal to crafting 450 mundane arrows yourself in cost. that's right. 450x the cost of an arrow per shot.

However, thanks to their little rules hole, you're graced with a small consolation prize when it comes to special materials, as 20 adamantine arrows would be 1200gp and a few coppers, while a 20-round magazine (the smallest available on a madsen) will be filled up for just 67.5gp, less than 1/18th the cost

It's a shitty weapon, and massively massively overpriced, so you may as well just enjoy the cheaper ammo. It won't make up the price difference for a few adventures.

I know, I was just copy pasting the entire tree from wikipedia. And believe me, some people are complete morons when it comes to what part of the tree animals are from. Fucking TSR and putting hyena based gnolls in the same genus as dogs.

Canine may refer to:

Biology
Canidae, domestic dogs, wolves, foxes, jackals, coyotes, and other dog-like mammals
Caninae, the sub-family
Canis, a genus including dogs, wolves, coyotes, and jackals
Dog, the domestic dog
>Canidae, domestic dogs, wolves, foxes, jackals, coyotes, and other dog-like mammals
>dogs, wolves, foxes, jackals, coyotes
>foxes

Nope, foxes are canines.

No, Metal Cartridge replaces the standard shot-and-powder paper cartridge. 'cartridge' is what people generally mistakenly call 'bullet'.

For reference, here is a comparison of a paper cartridge and a metal one.

Firearms with a greater Capacity than 1 simply hold more, and do not need to be reloaded after every shot; they still use individual ammunition. For example, the pepperbox:

>This pistol has six barrels instead of one. The entire barrel housing can be quickly rotated by hand between shots (a free action requiring one free hand), allowing all six bullets to be fired before the weapon must be reloaded. Each barrel of a pepperbox uses either a bullet and a single dose of black powder or a single alchemical cartridge as ammunition.

Advanced Firearms do load all of their rounds at once; however, that is because they are stored in speed loaders, magazines, etc. or the method of reloading is merely 'shove the cartridge in it' rather than 'open the paper, pour the contents in the muzzle, insert the paper remains, and jam the shit out of it with the ramrod, then put the ramrod away'.

Forgot my image.

>aren't canines even though they're canids.

So you're saying, by your own logic, that Tigers, Lions, Jaguars and Leopards are not Felines either since despite being members of the Felidae family they are not members of the Felis Genus.

You're an idiot who cannot into phylogeny. For terms regarding clasifications such as Canine, Feline, Ursine and similiar, Family is the precedence used for said grouping, not Genus.

Bollocs, the Fuzz is onto us! SHUT IT DOWN!

Doesn't that mean they're completely and utterly unusable?

Even in a guns everywhere scenario, each individual metal cartridge is 1.5gp due to being 10% price. Anywhere else, crafting your own is 7.5gp *per shot*, which means you're firing multiple scrolls worth per encounter, on weapons more expensive than magic ones before any enchantments.

ALSO it completely fucks up NPC gear values...

I've said it once and I'll say it again: allowing the Guns Everywhere rules fixes the vaaaaast majority of problems with guns.

Assuming you pick up Gunsmithing or splurge on a pouch of Abundant Ammunition, it shouldn't really be an issue.

Yes.

It does not, as has demonstrated.

Tell me about that upcoming campaign, lads.

The one you're applying for, joining, or even just waiting for the first session to roll around. What's it about, and what are you making?

It's a continuation/reboot of a previous campaign that I only played through a small portion of.

We're all starting at lvl 6 or 8, and it's going to be a fun little game of just us being a crew of Mercenaries doing what we can to screw over the Aspis Consortium.

We got a Transmutation Wizard, a Barbarian/FMWarder (me), and I'm unsure what the other guy will be since he's remaking him from the ground up, but probably either a Myrmidon or a Warlord

I wonder how hard we'll derail things this time.

Clerics have a better BAB than wizards because they have a much worse spell list and won't be casting spells every round, Druids need medium BAB because they are melee characters. Also fuck nerfing shit like this is an MMO.

But it does. It's a little more expensive than your standard armament, but, say, a musket costs 150 gold, which while expensive for a 1st level character is still doable. and at that point, bullets only cost 1 silver apiece, or 5 copper if you build them youself. by the time you get to higher levels and have access to enchanting, the costs of maintaining your ammunition become negligible, as points out. And that's if you don't just make a custom enchantment that automatically reloads your gun for you somehow, such as the Auto-loader magazine in Steelforge (though you'd have to make one for firearms instead of crossbows, but somehow I doubt that's an issue in a Guns Everywhere setting).

A rifle, particularly a pepperbox rifle, are extremely good weapons outside of their misfire chance. long rage, touch attack out to 400 feet (well beyond the normal range of a DnD encounter), and can fire several times before needing a single action to reload all their bullets in the case of a pepperbox rifle. the only thing it really loses out on versus the longbow is a few very specific things and strength-to-damage, which targeting Touch AC more than makes up for.

It's not perfect, but it's far from bad, particularly when you can afford the damn thing. they are, in fact, comparable to longbows in a lot of situations. You just have to make sure your ammo generation isn't shit.

Any way to Bash with Tower Shields?

Paizo, 3pp, 3.x, I don't care.

Thanks!

>When a pregnant kitsune changes shape, her body naturally guides the unborn child through the process as well, making form alteration a harmless endeavour for both mother and child.
Fuck that.
I vastly prefer the "pregnant shapeshifters are locked into one shape for the duration" trope.

But don't druids already have great battlefield control and a pet to buff at their pleasure?

What is the damage of a spiked tower shield?

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Guns Everywhere making firearms Simple weapons means that a barbarian or fighter can pick up a shotgun or blunderbus for actual AoE attacks, which is something even DSP martials struggle with, and makes Swarms less party-destroying against a mostly martial team. This is actually pretty fucking important.

Yes, which is why the melee ability got nerfed in the shift from 3.5 to Pathfinder.

Read the feat again; you deal damage as a Heavy shield for bases, so applying spikes makes it like a spiked heavy shield.

Is there a spell that I can use to conceal the identity of my "dead" character from PCs?

Thanks. I'm too damn sleepy.

I always loved the fluff note from Eberron that a changeling from there (basically half-doppelgangers) suddenly get locked into a female form as soon as they get pregnant.

The Herald of Passion among content published by Paizo has the same note:
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/heralds/herald-of-passion
>She can conceive and give birth, though it is rare for her to do this as she must remain in elven form for the duration of her pregnancy and the Goddess of Passion dislikes having her herald unavailable for extended periods.

>I vastly prefer the "pregnant shapeshifters are locked into one shape for the duration" trope.

Agreed, if I knock up a a dragon in her busty silver-haired form, I expect her to stay in that form for the duration of the pregnancy.

Plus, it keeps her slightly more vulnerable than in her dragon form, giving the DM plot hooks related to protecting her.

I want to run a campaign in which the setting's most-inhabited solar system contains two planets capable of sustaining life. There are no deities, only misunderstandings of powerful creatures from other systems and planes.

Magic stems from a fifth fundamental energy besides gravity, strong/weak nuclear, and electromagnetism. I call it Bullshit Energy, because it's the thing I can reference to explain away my bullshit.

The solar system is a young one, in galactic terms. The crust of each only recently cooled enough to be consistently solid. Each planet was influenced by extraplanar and extraterrestrial beings in similar ways - water found its way to the surface, life made it there somehow, and so forth - but for the most part, the planets evolved separately for a few million years, having been given a headstart by their forebears. Some of their forebears are extinct, and some left more evidence of their influence on the world than others. Some can even be contacted, if you're overtly powerful (the spell Contact Forebear works as Contact Other Plane, but asks the question of a selected Forebear's planet).

Only one planet has humanoid life dominating it - that is, creatures of the Humanoid type - because on the other, their Humanoids were all transformed or killed by other species, or Forebear influence. Powerful Undead, Mind Flayers, Dragons and other great and terrible monstrosities rule it. The largest planetary conflicts tend to arise over raids on the other planet, and the Great Crisis, which I will get to later.

The other planet is more vanilla; the surface is dominated by the usual core races and so forth, the underground by Drow, Duergar, and similar, and the mantle is inhabited by Fire-immune Monstrous Humanoids whose Forebears were likely Fire Elementals. The players will probably start here, at least for their first characters.

What is this from?

One of the DSP monstrous races books. Don't remember which one.

One of DSP's Monster Class books, Savage Races 1. It's in the Trove.

Why is the herald of lust giving birth, anyway?

Are they implying Calistria and her herald gets turned on by the thought of getting bred?

>not knocking her up in dragon form
pleb

>Are they implying Calistria and her herald gets turned on by the thought of getting bred?
Yes.

that would actually explain why half-dragons generally look like their non-dragon parent with some draconic features, wouldn't it?

Problem there is when exactly do you get locked out?

Some would argue conception, but there's several issues with that: First you're not pregnant yet. A non-implanted egg has no influence on the body at all, it's just floating there for the moment. Second, you may not become pregnant at all - numerous fertilized eggs are considered unviable and rejected unless the female's body is particularly aged and close to menopause, in which case it may not successfully detect or prevent implantation of such cases, leading to offspring of 'lowered quality'.

The most sensible lockout point would be a successful implantation of the blastocyst. This does mean that constant shapeshift MAY act as a certain level of contraception when done across various species barriers, but otherwise works perfectly well and can (unlike conception) be explained by a hormonal assault by the new life.

Also gives a few days to a bit over a week before one's fun is discovered to have any consequences, but then that's what various poisons have historically been for.

user, the parts just won't find friction that way, we're talking sausage through a window here. Yes, you can probably use magic, but that's an awfully messy workaround for a fairly simple (in fact, natural) solution, no?

>Are they implying Calistria and her herald gets turned on by the thought of getting bred?

Wait, are you telling me there are people who *don't* get turned on at the thought of being bred?

Each planet has attained localized space travel in a limited fashion. The monstrous races tend to use purely magical means of spaceflight - some are even capable of it naturally, being outright immune to the vacuum, the raw influence of their Sun, the cold and the lack of air. One of the largest conflicts between worlds was a Dracolich losing a local war and trying to re-establish himself on the other world. Dragons in this setting gain immunity to the rigors of space upon becoming Young Adults, and they are a frequent interplanetary menace. A category of Aboleths is also natively spaceworthy, though they aren't very numerous, and two cabals of Mind Flayers have found that they can propel themselves through space on chariots driven by dominated Space Whales.

The humanoid planet does have a few cases of mostly-magical spaceflight, though it's usually the extremely rare case of I Can Cast 9th Level Spells. It's still restricted to the upper echelons of humanoid society, as spaceships of any degree of magical empowerment are hella expensive compared to the average commoner's coin purse contents; the cheapest is somewhere in the range of a 6th or 7th level character's WBL. The ships run from almost-pure-magic, being little more than a rigid hull laden with bound elementals that create light, heat, thrust, and so forth. On the opposite end of the spectrum are almost-pure-tech ships, using IRL-style contraptions at fantasy-level scales, using magic for little more than a fuel source and a way to deflect heat during re-entry or maintain hull integrity for automated repairs. Most are somewhere in the middle, using magic for one thing and technology for another.

That sounds awesome, actually. I'm gonna use that fact for my next character.

>Yes, you can probably use magic, but that's an awfully messy workaround for a fairly simple (in fact, natural) solution, no?
and how the bloody hell is that any different at all from what you suggested instead?

At least with me using transmutation to get bigger we'll both be in a form we're relatively comfortable with and she won't get locked for 9 months out of her true, original, and gloriously magnificent and powerful form

The Great Crisis is simple: both planets were formed originally by a much larger planet being struck by a small planetoid-sized comet (which is generally blamed on the forebears, which causes wars among those who worship them frequently), and rather than one becoming the satellite of the other or a binary system forming, the orbit of one mysteriously decayed for a brief period and was brought back by some Forebear entity (which one it was is often claimed by those who worship them, causing yet more conflict).

Over the hundreds of thousands of years, the planets' orbits have gotten closer and closer together, slowly influenced by one another over the time spent in that wonderful goldilocks zone of humanoid livability. It's recently become apparent to both sides (after a series of struggles involving powerful sages trying to convince everyone that it is, in fact, happening) that what amounts to the End Times for most of life on both worlds is at hand, and even to those precious few capable of truly communicating with them (Contact Forebear is a long, expensive, and difficult process, on top of being a 9th-level spell), the Forebears have been silent on the matter. Some think the Forebears have abandoned the worlds they seeded, some believe they are expected to find a solution for themselves, some see it as holy retribution for perceived sins, some see it as the Forebears' disappointment in them leading to them mashing the planets together and starting over - nobody agrees, and nearly every nation, large and small, is at war with somebody. Conflicts between the planets have risen to new heights, as growing tension and the march toward the expected date of collision grows nearer have lead to an increasing Us Versus Them mentality between worlds.

Whether the players seek to resolve those differences and conflicts, champion one of the many causes each planets' factions has to offer, try to create a bastion for life on some distant world as an ark to play Forebear themselves, or simply create a safe place to sit back and watch the worlds collide and burn is up to them.

I want to run this for my usual group, but unfortunately we can only consistently get together on Sundays, and the usual GM doesn't want to alternate days.

There's a good deal more to it than this, but I think I represented the gist pretty well. I was going for a Spelljammer x Dying Earth feel.

>I'm gonna use that fact for my next character.

You're going to be playing a character who spends the entire campaign pregnant?

I can't get bred, so I get turned on by the thought of breeding.

No, he's going to solve the problem of the changeling thieves' guild sneaking into fancy parties and stealing things by getting them all pregnant.

minmaxer who doesn't empathize with their roleplayed characters spotted