Can necromancers raise it?

Can necromancers raise it if it's cooked?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QsMCOmn11zs
youtu.be/VlGNm7_dvz4
youtube.com/watch?v=6W_ETBVdoKc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtu.be/QsMCOmn11zs

No

In Dwarf Fortress, necromancers can cause major chaos if they come close to a butchery because they can raise the skin, skeleton and I think also muscles as independent zombies, plus each part gets to be its own zombie (so you also get zombie hands, for example).

However, once a cook arrives and cooks the remains, the already cooked food can't be raised anymore.

Still some parts may still cause chaos. Like in that one fort that fell years ago when a necromancer found its way into the fortress´ craft materials storage, which was filled of clams shells. Thousands of clam shells raised and annihilated all life in the fortress.

So maybe it's the burning that stops the flesh from coming back to life.

youtu.be/VlGNm7_dvz4

And then it takes bard levels

>chaos
You mean !FUN!, right?

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Now that reminds me of that one time when I wanted to embark into a cursed glacier. For non dorfers, some parts of the world are cursed, and everything that dies automatically comes back as a zombie within minutes. Or multiple, if it got mutilated. There's two ways to stop it: destroy the body (cooking, throwing into lava, and a couple other methods), or bringing it somewhere that's not cursed anymore (maybe a side of the map if you're at the border of the cursed area, otherwise you gotta dig deep, until the curse doesn't reach you anymore).

I decided to make a challenge run and started the game without a pickaxe. This means we could dig through ice (because reasons) but not through the hard stone under it. The community, starting with 7, would have to survive above ground or in the shallow ice until some merchant shows up with a pickaxe.

To prevent hunger, I brought huge reserves of food and plenty of cattle to get milk.

After starting the game, I noticed the cattle would still need some grass. And it doesn't grow on ice. And there was also a giant zombie polar bear nearby who wanted to fuck everything up.

The dorfs built a palisade to keep the bear out and then dug into the ice and made a chamber. But there were zombie ravens coming, so we couldn't stay outside.

Everyone went down taking as much as possible inside. Now we were trapped with the cattle, which would eventually starve and zombify.

The dwarves dug a thin cave surrounding the area and sealed the animals in there. Soon one of them died, raised, and murdered all the others.

Then the dwarves lived for a few months in a tiny room with a couple tables and chairs, with two beds, no food, and nowhere to go, unable to go back to the surface to get the rest of the wood because it was full of zombie ravens. A dull, slow life, always under the lifeless eyes of the zombie cattle behind the ice wall.

Then someone starved, raised and killed everyone else. It was fun.

By fire be purged, am I right?

Did you never stop and wonder should they raise it?!

Um, ah, I'll tell you the problem with necromantic power...

>Collect muscles, ligaments and other shit
>Staple them to the inside of a suit of armor
>Stick a brain or spine in the middle, graft it to the muscles
>Raise all that shit
Would this be a plausible way to make a sort of pseudo-golem out of a suit of plate?

>Necromancer engineers
I foresee a very good setting.

That's why you always keep a vampire next to the "fill fort with magma" lever.

Magma is the best problem solver.

They can only raise what has a skeleton currently with it right?

Or you could just raise a zombie and put it in plate

Some necromancers can raise bugs or trees so no. Not to mention ghosts.

I just stitch bodies/parts that are too fucked to work on their own and cover them in armor.

Necromacers are fucking bullshit.

"Urist! The food is revolting!"
"It's always revolting."
"But now it's REBELLING!"

>Can necromancers raise it?

Yes.

>Can necromancers raise it if it's cooked?

No.

How many undead can you raise from a single corpse before they start getting too individually weak to be worth it?

In my opinion, the answer is 3.

>Skeleton
>Ghost
>Muscle/Skin, whatever's left as a single creature

Small parts like zombie hands, while useful, are generally too weak to be effective combatants. The skeleton and the spirit make fine undead by themselves, but the muscle and other remains start to hit that point of not being very strong without the support the skeleton provides. That can potentially be solved with the suit of armor idea, using the plate mail as a kind of exoskeleton to support everything else.

Thoughts?

Is that just the dwarf fortress answer to everything?
>Goblins have attacked
>UNLEASH LAVA
>We're low on food
>UNLEASH LAVA
>Everything's on fire
>LAVA. MORE LAVA. ALWAYS LAVA.

now I want to eat beef ramen...

A powerful necromancer can always raise the steaks, but I'm not sure about ground beef

kek

>too weak to be effective combatants
Are you raising an army, or a raiding party?
Zombie hands can work effectively as messengers, and the hand-less zombies can work as draft animals, freeing your zombie animals to give you zombie cavalry.

Skin kite
meat puppet
blood amniote
skeleton

That is 4 off the top of my head.

I don't understand your question.
So...
> UNLEASH LAVA

Heh

Ground beef isn't even completely beef. You'll end up raising half a retarded baby cow with chicken feet.

Also there's a lot of "meat glue" involved. If anything you want a golem constructor on this mission.

man, that's a movie I haven't thought of in ages. The steak pulping itself and growing was burned into my brain as a kid.

Well fucking done.

YES! pic related, just gotta reverse the process

Do you happen to have that other gif of various objects being un-destroyed?

I'm afraid not

it better be, or it might reanimate!

Oh my god that's horrifying. D:

>*Goes on to eat 100% pure meat chicken tenders*

Could a Necromancer raise stuff like fingernails and hair? I'm imagining a horror campaign where the necromancer just spontaneously makes constructs by pulling dead skin out of the air.

In the Exalted setting: yes!

One of the story/ comic strips in the sorcery book depicts a cow that had been cooked, and raised from the dead. It was like a Brazilian BBQ place but with necromancy.

YOU KNOW...

all of the people bitching about meat content and composition...

there is nothing wrong with it, SPAM is fine, Hot-Dogs are FINE, Bologna is NOT GOING TO KILL YOU. all it is is finely ground meat, "pink slime" is just a means of using finely ground meat to efficiently fill space. "meat Glue" is just a means of sticking otherwise unsaleable chunks together.

and before you sneer at "mechanically separated" anything, that just means that the meat is torn from difficult to reach places in the animal carcass by clever application of a sanitary pressure washer.

...sorry guys I have to rant like this every so often, I'm the only non-vegetarian/hippie in my neighborhood...

this is the best way to necromancer...

steel reinforcing is also a fine place to carve magical augmentations...now you have a tougher, flame-resistant, zombie that can blink, or hover or some other spell

or using old enchanted sets of armor that you find or take off of adventurers as the basis to build for

and you could always set up shop in a city as a plastic surgeon for some extra cash...or an organized crime cleaner for extra bodies, and also cash.

A native american uses every part of the animal and it's ancient wisdom, a white guy does the same thing(the only difference being a more mechanically complex method)and it's evil corporation black magic.

part of my ambivalence is that I'm an engineer, a lot of it is a good application of science to improve a process or product.

as the saying goes "if you like sausage never see it get made" people are shocked and disgusted by processes they shouldn't see unless they really want to. they get disgusted at things the human race has been doing for millennia, the processes have changed to reflect the magnitude of demand, thats it...

god dammit I HATE HIPPIES...
also members of PETA.
they make TERRIBLE NEIGHBORS
I can't barbeque without my shotgun anymore.
if my living conditions weren't disproportionately good compared to their cost I'd be fucking GONE

What is the actual advantage of grinding the young chicks? I can see how they would be available faster but you get less meat and they don't get to reach the point where they produce eggs. It can't be that much more efficient, and with the increased bone to meat ratio it probably wouldn't taste any better either.

Did whoever recorded that literally just toss some baby chicks into the grinder for fun/morbid curiosity? It's kind of a waste to use that many if that's the case.

Those are the males

it's more profitable to grind them rather than spend time/money feeding them and waiting for them to grow

This was a thing on the old RPG Eon. Necromancers were essentially rather morbid engineers, and the corpses could be modified on horrifying but effective ways if you knew surgery, engineering and anatomy. You'd have to be a bit careful with weight, though, since that's what decided how much necromantic energy you need to raise it. Thus, skeletons were cheap and easy, but much more brittle than say, a zombie, since you need to inflict enough damage to tissue to break it off to actually destroy an Undead.

So if you wanted to cheese, you researched the alchemical process in which mundane items obtained damage immunity from mundane damage, and to that one by one on a human skeleton and enjoy your virtually indestructible skeleton.

Because the way we do it involves a rite and statement of mutual respect between two equal living things. Today you, tomorrow me. Using machines will produce waste no matter what, and the animal does not get a chance to outrun or outmaneuver you if it's kept in a cage and beaten from birth. The actual efficiency is hard to quantify, but the justification for the act and the way it's carried out is different.

You burn herbs as an offering and pray before a hunt, and ask permission for the great spirit to present you with the prey you need for you and yours. If you find nothing, your need is not great enough, or there was nothing ready to give its life that day without upsetting the balance of nature. It is not a failure, and you go home empty handed without regrets.

If an animal presents itself to you, then it is in a position where it is ready to die, and you must face the challenge of hunting it down if you wish to earn the right to claim its life to sustain your own. If your first arrow or bullet does not kill it, you come close and dispatch it personally. You look it in the eyes and thank it for its sacrifice, becoming part of a greater cycle.

I eat butcher meat too, but having gone on the hunt and worked through the process with my own hands gives a different perspective. It's easy to dismiss if you haven't done it for yourself, I know.

Depends on the setting.

You know, I'm not even mad at this, just sort of disappointed.

Off topic late night rant incoming:

I wish I could acquire a corpse, a fresh juicy restaurant quality corpse. I would strip off all the meat, dry and age it appropriately then prepare a wonderful feast. I'd make all sorts of delicacies and delicious sauces, to cover up the human part of the meat, then invite a bunch of people over for a bbq. It would be the best bbq of all time, full of sunshine and cold beer, all the things people would expect at a bbq. People would gorge themselves happily, blissfully unaware that they're eating a person, and I would quietly enjoy my bounty, ever the gracious host. In my weird fantasy, a group of loud vegans show up and bitch about how rad my bbq is and how my classic rock is too loud. I wouldn't care, I'd invite in those dreadlocked white people and try to make them as comfortable as possible with all sorts of organic cruelty free furniture and such. Then I give them some "vegan" food. Sneaky things like vegetables fried in human stock, or some sort of soup cooked with a large thigh bone. If they enjoyed the food, that would be awesome, but if they didn't I wouldn't care, I'd just be happy I ruined their arbitrary bullshit.

The best part is, I'd never tell a soul. I'd go on living my normal boring life like the normal boring person I am, except when I see these hypocritical douche-copters, I'd smile a sneaky smile, then feel awesome all day.

You think I don't appreciate or recognize the sacrifice of the animals that make my chicken nuggets or my turkey burger? Because I do, your culture does not have a monopoly on that.

Maciation is very quick, cheap, non toxic, and in effect painless, you also get salvageable material (pet food or military MREs) By the time the chicks have processed a sensation past "pressure" and maybe just starting to register pain they are pretty well liquefied.

I never said we do. I'm saying that there's a difference in the process, and that it's not fair to compare our methods with yours. Again, I eat factory food too.

Thinking about the sacrifice is different from claiming it for yourself and making good on your beliefs with your own hands. I'm not even saying it's better, just that it's not a fair equivalence by which you can make a comparison. I believe that what I do is right, and you have the right to believe so too. Just don't try to call our respective ways of life the same. There are fundamental differences, and those differences are what make a culture what it is. That's a part of why all cultures have so much value, yours included.

>Maciation
Eh? I just googled that, couldn't find a single thing

You don't have to sugarcoat it that bad user. I think the user you are replying to is just looking for trabble.
>implying industrial mass murder and hunting are the same thing

Maybe he was, maybe not. I just want to be clear that I'm not ranting out of spite for the big mean white man.

I think it's shortsighted to stick staunchly to the beliefs of a single culture, and that every one has some value that you can apply to your own individual way of thinking. That's why it's so interesting to discuss it when the chance comes about.

He has poor spelling. He meant maceration.

Here is the first paragraph copied of wikipedia:
In food preparation, maceration is softening or breaking into pieces using a liquid.

Raw, dried or preserved fruit or vegetables are soaked in a liquid to soften the food and/or absorb the flavor of the liquid into the food.[1]

In the case of fresh fruit, particularly soft fruit such as strawberries and raspberries, they are often just sprinkled with sugar (and sometimes a small amount of salt) then left to sit and release their own juices. This process makes the food more flavorful and easier to chew and digest.

Maceration is often confused with marination, which is the process of soaking foods in a seasoned, often acidic, liquid before cooking.

Some herbal preparations call for maceration, as it is one way to extract delicate or highly volatile herbal essences "cold" and thus preserve their signature more accurately.[1]

Sometimes a cooking oil is used as the liquid for maceration – especially olive or some other vegetable oil.

Maceration is the chief means of producing a flavored alcoholic beverage, such as cordials and liqueurs.[2]

Maceration of byproducts from food processing plants sometimes involves the use of a chopper pump to create a "blended" slurry[weasel words] of food waste and other organic byproducts. The macerated substance, which can be described as a protein-rich slurry, is often used for animal feed, fertilizer, and for co-digestion feedstock in biogas plants.

Does it have a soul?

does it have a meat-brain?

A machine spirit.

Sure, why not.

>trabble

Not looking for trouble, just pointing out a ridiculous double standard. I just think it's stupid that the standard exists when the only quantifiable difference, is in scale and complexity of the tools used. At what point does it become wrong? When you involve machines more complex than a knife? When you kill X amount of animals per fiscal quarter? At what arbitrary point does it become soulless and evil?

paradoxically, only after we slit his throat and drain him.

and flesh to wood isn't even a necro spell

When it stops being about food, and starts being about financial greed.

Nobody called it soulless or evil. It's just different.

Meat factories don't make time for prayer, or to have each animal personally seen off and wished well on its way to the next world. If they did, maybe the two methods could be comparable, but that's not the case. The methods are designed to accommodate different populations. Mass slaughter isn't practical, sustainable or necessary for small nomadic communities, and a slow, intimate hunting process would be just as, if not more damaging if it were the primary means for a large society to sustain itself. Each culture does what it feels it has to do for the same reasons, but the methods will be inherently different. The only claim I'm making is that they aren't comparable, not that one method or way of thinking is superior. We all have to eat one way or another.

If by this point you still think they're the same thing, then there's nothing I can do to convince you other than just tell you to do it yourself.

amusingly enough corporate factory food is still about food, it's also about greed but in the end they're still feeding people...

>Nobody called it soulless or evil
actually, they did.
specifically in the post that started this shit-show by comparing a secular and a spiritual approach to things
...I'll need to remember to make comments about hippies and vegans and SPAM if I ever want to derail a thread intentionally...

cause thats what it led to...

You don't even need that, derailing a thread on this site is as easy as posting a picture of a deep dish pizza.

There's some stubbornness here, but I'd hardly call it a shit-show. I'm just glad to have a discussion of some significance.

That and I'm sick of the "evil white man" born victim complex that some of my people take on. I don't hate white people or the way they do things. I hate people who refuse to understand and learn, regardless of who they think they are.

My dinner today was a pork chop I bought from a local supermarket, at any rate. It was delicious.

Ill take a steak trying to kill me any day over something well done.

>Meat factories don't make time for prayer
Well they might do, because getting a guy to mumble a few words over the livestock is a small price to pay for opening up a fair sized segment of the market, but it likely wouldn't be individual, more a mass blessing like you'd get if you went to see the pope or something

Zombie hands are fucking deadly in Dorf Fort. They´ll climb you and choke you to death.

>Meat factories don't make time for prayer
With kosher meat, prayer is most definitely involved. Also, each animal has to be slaughtered by hand as painlessly as possible, making it a step back from the depersonalization of the process common to most meat factories.
You can still get through a lot of cows or chickens in a single day, but the process for each is somewhat more involved.
I suppose the main thing here is awareness of the process and facts behind the burger. Many modern people are logistically blind, disconnected mentally from the entire logistical network and effort involved in just getting the frozen patties to the fast food joints.

Back on topic, the necromancer can technically raise it. It's a tentacled mass of easily broken meat that can barely move (no skeletal structure attached), but it's undead.

You sound like a cool guy to have for a neighbor. Keep it up.

This. Though, I must admit, it's a feeling I wake up with almost every day.
The humanity is just disappointing.

>implying the shitty meat companies actually make kosher shit
its like name brand vs off brand. same thing different packaging. unless the original owner of the company is still alive and cares about whether or not something is kosher. it isn't

For some reason I thought I was on Veeky Forums.
Veeky Forums is a pretty shitty board desu

>meat and bone taped together to form machinary
>muscle powered cogs, chains tugged by hundreds of arms
>moving bridges, automatic yet slow carriages, giant moving doors
>all powered by silently screaming enslaved dead

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

youtube.com/watch?v=6W_ETBVdoKc
I know the actual video is more showcase of Druid engineering, but it gets the point across, doesn't it?

This sounds bog standard to me.

>He does not beileive in the wonders of Necro-Alchemy.
Philistine.

>It's tradition, and that makes it okay.

Seriously, man. Drop that pretentious shit.

Odds are a lot of those people would get sick. Personally, I think it's pointless to treat corpses with the reverence we do today, but eating human flesh is super bad for you.

What flavor of undead is a monster created from vindaloo?

>those differences are what make a culture what it is. That's a part of why all cultures have so much value, yours included.
Those differences are arbitrary and culture isn't worth shit.

You'd have to be a mechromancer for that.

What I had in mind was an age of zombification where reinforced undead began to replace humans for labor. Every death would mean another mine or factory worker. But the secrets of necromancy then have to be in possibly the governments possession to prevent people from raising everything, so it'll end up like some kind of socialism where few work, but most are only kept alive so that they can die. Conflicts surrounding that last bit would be at the center of the setting's events.
It wouldn't be this grimdark.

lol

Can a necromancer raise it?

Prior to the zombie fix, zombie hands functioned essentially as floating things that punched with the full strength of a whole corpse, and zombies were more like zombie hulks of other media (triple strength plus +1000, equivalent of if in D&D zombies had triple strength +10, or 40 for your average peasant). No need to choke you, they could just punch your brain in.

Last time I played I lost fort to zombie bird heads. They couldn't be killed so all my dwarves got in fight and starved to death.

how about I just stick to the kosher hot dogs, fucker? I know the reptillians, I mean our friendly jewish allies, are not going to poison THEMSELVES

I tried to eat a goy hot dog recently and was completely disgusted by it. Fucking repulsive

Pulping mechanics were a godsend.

Could a Necromancer control the Daemon Meatbread?

There was no daemon meatbread. Stop talking about it. Don't make the horror come back.

Perfect.