EDH/Commander General

Groovy Graveyard Guys edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

THREAD TOPIC: Who is your favorite commander for graveyard shenanigans?

Other urls found in this thread:

deckbox.org/sets/1308791
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tasigurs-political-pleasure-palace/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kataki-white-supremacy/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What do you guys use for red-removal? I'm looking for something wrath-like, maybe asymmetrical if I'm lucky, but I'm not really picky. I need to take aetherize and aetherspouts out of my deck and I'm looking to slot in something equally neat.

Blasphemous act and chain reaction are probably the 2 best red board wipes

I think anger of the gods is underrated in edh, many people think of it as a modern/standard card and don't consider it for edh

I also like rolling earthquake and earthquake, moreso if your deck values off of direct damage like rakdos lord of riots, but even if not, it's pretty cool to wipe creatures and burn down planeswalkers in the same spell

chain reaction
blasphemous act

Insurrection + a sac outlet is hilarious. Oh, your general has shroud and indestructible? Cool, gimme. Otherwise blasphemous act is really strong in EDH.

Whipflare

I play Myr tribal

Comet Storm for sure.

This guy nailed it, cleaning up alot trash is just as important as taking out the big guys imo. Shout out to Chaos Warp as well.

Go hard or go play another color

Not a fan, basically giving the game to the person with the biggest hand who isn't you

I would assume you're looking as mass removal without B/W? Generally speaking, you will be looking at being kind of expensive and limited by damage.

The best option is Blasphemous Act. Run it and love it. Usually it's close to 1 if not 1 mana.

Chain Reaction is basically closest to a red wrath of God

Inferno isn't terrible because it's an instant, but it costs 7 mana.

Mizzium Mortars isn't terrible because it's one sided.

There's always Earthquake and friends. Magmaquake and Starstorm are instant, Molten Disaster is split second, ect

There are a few creatures that work like Bloodfire Colossus and Magma/Shard Phoenix

There are options, you just have to look because red doesn't generally get "Destroy all creatures" without taking the world with it.

Who leads?

I don't want to run Blasphemous Act because it has a high natural converted mana cost and as a Maelstrom Wanderer player I would like to drop it with cascade, but it will still sit in the deck, so I can see that as pretty viable.

Chain reaction is exactly what I'm looking for. It's perfect, thanks guys.

Oh spicy lord jesus, I didn't even know Insurrection was a thing, I'm going to try and pick one up.

I actually run whipflare, excellent taste.

I have a comet storm, but in general X cost cards scare me off a bit for... reasons.

I will never have enough money for that sexy sexy card, but that's life.

Again I don't recommend apocalypse

But it's only like $2, you can def afford it

If you're looking for more things in the vein of insurrection, Mass Mutiny can be solid depending on the playgroup.

Trying to build my first three color deck with pic related. I have a shit ton of Tarkir cards from when I started playing Magic. All I can think of is doing something control based with goodstuff. Also the budget the budget is very limited. Any suggestions?

Do you run earthquake/magmaquake? I almost snuck those guys in because I have a lot of targeted removal, and I don't really care what's on the field, I'm more concerned about them double/triple blocking my things.

Wait wait wait, it's only $2? I"m going to pick one up for sure. As part of a double cascade, especially if I land it on the first part I'm going to be in awesome shape. I even have things that can tutor it on top of my deck for shenanigans, but it might draw me a lot of hate.

Mass Mutiny is alright, and I actually have one in a box somewhere, but I usually play 1v1 commander, so it isn't as great. Excellent sideboard card though.

Chaos Warp is such a hilarious gamble.
>Dragonlord Dromoka player drops a Void Winnower
>has a soft lock going around
>topdeck a Chaos Warp on my turn, drop that shit on Winnower immediately
>Dromoka reveals Sylvan Scrying
>Lazav friend plays High Tide, Quicken, Traumatize, copies Traumatize with Twincast
>hits the goddamn Shapeshifter lottery: almost every wincon in Dromoka player's deck, including Worldspine Wurm which he Stifles the trigger on
>paralyzed with choice about what to copy
>eventually picks Worldspine Wurm and beats us all to death

YOOOOO I WANT TO BUILD HIM

Jesus Christ, 2B for "huge ETB effect from your graveyard" yes please I want

Mob rule + sac outlet
Its sloghtly situational but taking everything on the board with 4 or more power then swinging at someone then saccing them all is bananas, just as much fun as to take everyones mana dorks and sac them to the sac god

>TFW you build commanders that look like fun, but their highest potential is weak
Does mono-white have any decent tools to help nahiri stay alive to do something?

>equipping without paying a mana cost hardly makes up for spending 5 mana on 1/1s
>White doesn't have the tools to make sick value or toolboxing from equipment reanimating
>Takes forever to ult, doesn't win the game, and she is hard to protect that long.

I have come up with some decent tech for her, but it's not enough. I need a better game plan.

This kind of commander has many options. Our group's is landfall based, but any sort of control would work fine. Don't forget to pack in alot of cheap spells to fully take advantage of the draw, preferably with a healthy amount of ramp.

So I'm making a commander with this guy, besides the obvious Arcanes, black spirits, and swamp ramp, anything else I should run with him? Maybe Urza's Incubator? Card Draw? Protection? Or Maybe some sacrifice sub-theme?

MLD.

Then swing with 1/1 tokens with equipments and hope for the best.

If you want to go the boardwipe route, there's way more stuff you could put in (jokulhaps, destructive force, sunder, all the extra turns, ect) but if you do this your deck will do the same thing most games and your playgroup, especially if casual, will hate it.
>playing prossh against azami and some other decks, have a necropotence out
>one opponent chaos warps it
>necro for a bunch in response, then shuffle it in
>flip vexing shusher
Azami wasn't pleased.

All mono black decks are the same. You run your "theme" and then you fill it with all the powerful staples.

You're going to have a bad time in those colours with a limited budget. I just tried to build a mimeoplasm deck, and I fell into the "everything has 3 coloured devotion" trap. You're going to need to go in with a plan, and in my opinion, that plan should be land ramp because land ramp is almost always viable.

Sword of the animist + Birds of Paradise is hilarious t3 if your opponent doesn't have any flying. Peregrination is one of my favorite cards of all time. I have a few other examples, but you generally get the idea. Fish a land in the colour you need and drop it onto the battlefield tapped is pretty viable in general.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Lazav hit the Void Winnower too

I don't think I've ever seen so many creatures with base power 6 or greater hit the graveyard at once

Damia is the quintessential goodstuff commander

Play all the ramp and removal and counterspells in your collection, there's lots of really cheap cards that do those things

I'd go full BBEG stax if I was playing this guy. Siphon mind type stuff, smokestack, ophiomancer, a bunch of mass discard, boardwipes, and some value walkers.

Basically this. Feels so good to own all the black staples. Now I can run any black commander for cheap, since the niche cards for each one are generally inexpensive.

I don't think this is what you want to run. For 6 mana you can get Geth, and I think Geth is an objective upgrade, assuming you aren't ramping into Kyoki, and even if you are he's probably better value. You could even run Ob Unshackled as your commander for better value.

Cloudstone Curio with a couple 1 drop spirits

Baku altar

post your memes

I want to run Magmaquake because I have a full art foil, but atm I'm not because it would go into Chandra. I might just because it clears out Walkers unlike Star storm. You can also use Faultline, which is Earthquake at instant speed. There's no point in running Earthquake when Molten Disaster exists, which is fantastic because its essentially uncounterable with a few exceptions.

Honorable mention to Comet storm because it's targeted, Streetspasm because it doesn't hit you and is instant (XXRR though), and I've really been liking Meteor Blast.

Just a note on the instant quakes:

Faultline damages all creatures and players
Starstorm damages all creatures and cycles
Magmaquake is all creatures and walkers

Faultline is arguably the most flexible because you can redirect to walkers, but only 1 Walker. Quake can easily kill each Walker a player has. Meanwhile, Starstorm can be pitched for something else if you don't need it.

Puppets verdict or mogg infestation if you want something abit more wacky

Descent of dragons?

only seems viable in Karthus

It's pretty fucking viable in Purphoros

>kill all your 1/1 Goblins and replace them with 4/4 fliers

Nope, decent of dragons is amazing in anything with low cost tokens, or against an opponent who uses big fancy things.

?

Are we talking about the same card?

>replace a bunch of 1/1 tokens with 4/4 flier tokens and shitloads of ETB damage from Purph

>have a bunch of creatures
>mogg infestation yourself
>get 2 1/1 goblins for each creature you had
>descent of dragons yourself
>each 1/1 goblin becomes a 4/4 dragon
Wew lad

Anybody got any success with this guy? Was thinking about building a truly green deck (forests and green cards only),mostly for fun but what is best with lots of mana in just green?

Sudden realization that I need this for Feldon - I've got a goblin subtheme featuring Goblin Marshal for token spam, and this would be absurd.

Dont forget to tap your krenko first to double your goblins

And don't forget to cast Heat Shimmer and Twinflame targeting Zada to copy both spells for every other creature on the field

>Decent of Dragons
>Hey dude, I'm casting this spell, and I'm gonna give everyone dragons except you
>Damn dude that's cold
>I dunno, to me it sounds pretty decent

Guy in my group plays him, and he's really good. Once he flips, he it's pretty much GG in some way, usually Helix Pinnacle.

So after a few Standard FNMs, some friends and I were eyeing Commander. Are the premade decks relatively balanced/viable? Are there any decent budget options? Is the game... fun? I was thinking of picking up the Ezuri UG deck or something.

It's very fun. The premade decks are a good way to start out. Budget options exist.

building gisa, what are some staples?

The EDH generals have probably the least amount of shitposting out of all the format generals on /tg. Yes it's a fun format, but you and your group need to be fucking big boys about playing a format where you're supposed to have a guaranteed creature the whole game.

The precons are pretty ok. There's some pretty bad balance between them but you could certainly do a lot worse.

It's super fun

Beer is a strong recommendation

The precons are usually pretty decent, I'd stick with the 2016 ones unless you really have some deck in mind. Budget commander is very possible as well. It is tempting to go out and build dozens of decks, but just stick to a cheap base and slowly upgrade 2 or 3 decks over time and you'll end up with some solid ones while being frugal.

of the most recent precons the order goes:

Meren>>Ezuri>>Daxos>>>>>>>>>>Kalemne

Daxos is my personal favorite and can be good once you put some money into it but having G in EDH is just too good to pass up if you don't want an uphill battle

forgot Mizzix. It's somewhere between Ezuri and Daxos

Would any of you be so kind to critisize my Sedris Reanimator EDH/Commander decklist? I feel it's missing alot but I'm too attached to most of the cards. Please help!

deckbox.org/sets/1308791

Zombie lords, Thornbite Staff, Phyrexian Altar, Phyrexian Dreadnaught, Gravecrawler, and Skullclamp.

Sidisi's whip, Vengeful Pharaoh, Obelisk of Urd. Lots of mana is great for the deck (big surprise), so Crypt Ghast, Cabal Coffers and other accelerates are welcome.

Commander has a nasty double edged sword element to it.

On one hand, it's a delightful social format where you can make big plays and spend an evening playing Magic with friends. It's super accessible and the precon products are the best supplemental products wizards have ever made.

On the other hand, pickup games can be a crapshoot because about half of the players never heard the phrase "social format." Commander really easily becomes an arms race where people are trying to use sol ring + grim monolith + lightning greaves in order to attack with narset on turn 3 and cast time stretch. A lot of commander battlefields also become extremely hostile, where you can expect multiple grave pacts in play and a board wipe every turn, all of this making it basically impossible to win without a one-turn combo.

50% power level commander is a whole lot of fun, but be warned that half of the players you run into are playing decks geared to 100% shut down the kind of gameplay advertised in the precons. You need to find a good group, and don't get discouraged if your first group's tastes remind you of orange juice and toothpaste.

seconding this without the pessimism. If you're not playing with friends/an established group just be aware you can have wildly varying game experiences just like every goddamn format. For starting out just be wary of anyone running Narset, Zur, Brago, Prossh, Darretti. I'm not saying walk the fuck away if you see someone pull those commanders out, granted you are completely free to do that, just be aware they will be playing at a different level than you are and you will probably lose hard.

hey guys
i hear goblin decks like krenko are bad, why's that

BOARD. WIPES.

Also prison effects.

because it's usually comboed with god of the forge which equals easy win.

I have been tweaking my Tasigur EDH and would love some suggestions/feedback.
>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/tasigurs-political-pleasure-palace/

The aim is to be political as well as make the game a grindfest.

I have considered a couple of cards from the new set and would like to know if they seem worth it and where they would go.
>Summary Dismissal
>Unsubstantiate

My current concern is gaining life in a way that doesn't place an even bigger target on my head. I have thought of a few cards that seem like they could pass under the radar.
>Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
>Vampiric Rites
>Grim Feast

Pretty much this. An indestructible enchantment as a commander is pretty rough. Not to mention boring. I swapped Purph for Zada and put him in the 99 and it's loads more fun, if more fragile and inconsistent

>that Tasigur art
Disgusting

>Alternate art Tasigur
>no banana
>mfw

Asker here, thanks. Thats pretty neat.

I feel a MIGHTY NEED to build around this guy. Looking for tokens and ways to force combat damage/blocks.
What commander would you guys suggest?

So what makes mono white shit? White has most of the best removal outside of black, can do stax, and can win with commander damage consistently.

This guy is right.

My best advice to a new player is to just play what you want. If you get crushed, but had fun, then who cares? If you got crushed and want to win, then gitgud. Here are the levels of edh player I've experienced and gone through:

>Fresh off the boat
Some are discouraged but convinced to keep playing, some love it right away. In either case, everything is new and exciting.

>Totally awesome zone!
This is when you want to start expanding and you find a bunch of shit in the dollar bin that are totally awesome in your mind. This is great because it gets the mind and ideas flowing. They might not work, but so what? Eventually, it does and its awesome.

>Check out my combo!
The start of the arms race. Someone found their first combo and wrecked everyone. Maybe it was you. Regardless, people are either going to try and control it by banning them or try to race it out first.

>Over confident fallout
Everyone's decks are full of combos and they think they're unstoppable. Most games have devolved into no one doing anything but playing lands until they combo out. The truth is that the decks are largely a pile of cards that don't support each other, and people aren't usually having fun.

>Gitgud
Someone decides to sit down and make. A proper deck. They realize that there's more to the game than 400 combos, and that a balance can be had. This person proceeds to ass fuck the group in most games and becomes target #1 and there is complaining all around

>Oh shit we gamin now
Everyone has learned to beat #1, and their decks are pretty well balanced. Games are fun and interactive or slow with salted earth. This is a pretty good balance, and my groups level for the most part(goes up and down). Lots of good decks, minimal complaining, shit happens.

>WELCOME TO DIE
Top tier hardcore anal rampage vintage singleton. Average deck cost is $1200, T4 wins are the norm, and everyone is playing quick draw solitaire. Better suited for 1v1.

>tfw group is forever between Totally Awesome Zone and Babby's First Combo

I wouldn't have it any other way

It can't play blue or green cards. Why play mono white when you can play WU or GW?

Not playing more colors is a sacrifice and your commander has to make it worth it. A lot of mono-white creatures just don't have the stuff.

Mono white isn't shit, it's just a meme and something said by people who can't build decks properly. Mono white is solid, and it becomes insane when you realize that since you don't use combos or too much burst damage, people are more likely to ally with you in multiplayer. Deck related, definitely not insane but it wins enough. tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kataki-white-supremacy/

>tfw your group doesn't into table politics at all
Coming off a game where table politics were built into the game's mechanics, feels bad man.

Absolutely fucking atrocious card draw is the main problem.

>Why play mono white when you can play WU or GW?

Because my group finds those threatening and I don't have any good legendaries of those colors old isperia isn't that good

Acceleration

Each color has some form of acceleration, blue and black can usually draw aggressively and reliably, green can draw usually through weird creature and combat interactions, even if they can't draw they can ramp to get ahead, red has looting.

White doesn't really have a reliable way to accelerate. I can sort of draw, it can sort of ramp, but it can't keep up. What white can do though is tutor and if you can somehow keep up through tutors you can sort of do okay.

>My group finds those threatening
Mostly because they are. White is very strong in many aspects, but has terrible problems with draw. It is absolutely fucking bonkers as a support color, especially with Blue or Green.

This is almost exactly right about how the arms race goes, but it neglects to mention that combo isn't the only arms race archetype. Stax and midrange are equally likely to be oppressive and go through the exact same stages.

How exactly do you expect any Non Tibalt Planeswalker to fly under the radar?

>Midrange
I'm pretty sure most EDH groups START with midrange, AKA "removal and slamming fatties together until someone wins a war of attrition".

White has no acceleration

I wasn't aware white is unable to use artifacts

>tfw can't find Meren precon anywhere in town and it's $50+ online

This is true. I didn't mention mid range because 90% of EDH is mid range. Stax is in the same vein as combo and more of a separate branch that follows the same path. The same argument could be made about a lot of things like MLD in general. Most of them fall into that fallout area.

White has to compensate with artifacts, which all the other colors have access to ON TOP OF their existing stuff.

Yeah, you can toss in Sol Ring and some 3 drop mana rocks, but so can the green deck, and it can also put in mana dorks and Rampant Growths and the like. Blue and black can run Lorekeeper's Stone and Mind Stone, but they also have actual draw spells.

Artifacts put every color at the same starting point, but white doesn't get much farther than that point on its own.

My impression is since people will learn I am not creature heavy they will be more lenient on letting the emblem happen.
The main reason I expect him to get shot in my deck is because of the demon.

just look up must be blocked by all creatures aura theres a few in green i think.

Midrange CAN be an oppressive archetype, it's not just a way to refer to power level.

If somebody is recasting child of alara while ramping super hard, they aren't playing combo or stax, but they are absolutely starting an arms race. Prossh value tokens and gravepacts is also an oppressive midrange strategy even when it doesn't OTK.

Midrange, stax, and combo are the pillars of cancer EDH. None of them have an inherent power level and can range from the cute to the obscene.

White has no innate acceleration that can keep up with the other colors. If it did then then white would smash face on every color because it would be broken with speed and access to white's strong removal.

Artifacts help but everyone runs fucking artifacts, man. Colorless artifacts aren't white cards so therefor aren't technically white based acceleration.

I'll just make do with only using artifacts then I'm that faggot from the previous threads who wants to make the new gisela into a commander without the reliance of turning her into brisela

Noble Quarry, Nemesis Mask, Lure, Seton's Desire, and Tempting Licid. There's a bunch more things that only do it once, though.

>Sedris is the OP

Wow how fitting

>Want to make Grixis Zombie tribal
>don't like Sedris's ability because I'm greeady with my creatures and don't want themexiled
>playtest with Marchesa a while
>The deck is awesome but..
>begin to realize that my zombies become so powerful that I never even need to cast Marchesa to win games
>decide, eh fuck it why not have draw power
>Nekusar takes the helm of the deck
>draw power is nice
>do some research into his ability
>realize that players take commander damage when they draw a card
>fuck me, I guess I'll swap some cards out to synergize with him better
>the deck is now slowly becoming less of a Zombie tribal and now more of a deck built solely on ramping up his ability
>still want a zombie tribal deck but become conflicted
>Gisa and Geralf are revealed in the newest set
>already have a BU Oona deck

Just fuck my shit up. What do I do, /edh/? I have alot of assets put together for my grixis zombie tribal, should I just take out the zombies and zombie stuff for a Gisa and Geralf deck so I can make the Nekusar deck the best it can be?

>>realize that players take commander damage when they draw a card
I thought commander damage was only from combat damage?

but they don't

>do some research into his ability

Sorry mate. If you do research and then come to exactly the wrong conclusion, then your problem isn't being ignorant of some trivia, it is poor critical thinking skills.

I am under the distinct impression that anyone who complains about table politics sucks at them. If your group is utter cancer and impossible to play with the ultimate political move is to find a better group

I got 2 decks thrown at me tonight