Sorin vs. Nahiri: INNISTRAD ARTBOOK IS OUT EDITION

Ok, so the art book is out. Can anyone confirm Nahiri's endgame? Are the Innistradi waifus kill? Also, what the fuck is Sorin encased in?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/savor-flavor/planeswalkers-guide-innistrad-stensia-and-vampires-2011-11-02
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/campaign-vengeance-2016-07-06
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> Also, what the fuck is Sorin encased in?

Plot. It'll break when Wizards decides they want to release a new Sorin card.

He looks like John Malkovich here.

I'm seeing more Travolta, myself.

Sorin, champion of diversity

Nahiri: Cunt mode

If he's john malkovitch than we we need to find a building on innistrad with a 7 1/2 th floor

Might be a discard spell

Werewolf shit

DO GERALF, GISA, LUDEVIC, SIGARDA, THALIA, ODRIC, AND/OR ANY OTHER COOL NAMED CHARACTER DIE?

Give lore, I'm absolutely voracious, sate us!

>No mention whatsoever of Nahiri meaning anything other than hastening Innistrad and Sorin's demise. Quite the opposite, it's repeated many times that her intent is solely to destroy Innistrad.
>Interestingly, Nahiri was surprised that Avacyn and the angels were affected by the warped leylines. She didn't intend for that to happen. But that it was a more than welcome side effect.
>No mention of Olivia in direct conflict with Sorin or Nahiri.
>No mention of Nahiri being insane and leaving the plane.
>No mention of Arlinn Kord at all.
>No mention of Sigarda battling Brisela. (Sigarda is the last remaining angel of her Host. And no other angels are mentioned as fighting at Thraben.)
>And annoyingly, no interaction between Nahiri and the gatewatch.

So, literally, nothing happens with that entire plot. Great, thanks WotC, you're *amazing* at plot. that's sarcasm, in case I wasn't clear enough

So wait, Nahiri just locks up Sorin and bounces out without screwing with the gatewatch at all?

Yup, because the GW need shit to do later down the line

>PMS whore wins
>Will be forgiven by the jacetice league because womyn can't be evil
And they still dare call Liliana a villain.

To be fair, that mirrors what she thinks Sorin did to her pretty well. She has no reason to expect Emrakul can be beaten, and if she ever learns the truth about Zendikar not getting finished then she'll presumably later learn that Emrakul got beaten and the perceived symmetry is preserved.

>>No mention of Olivia in direct conflict with Sorin or Nahiri.
So Olivia dies is a lie?

Got any good spooky ghosts Artmans?

She's going to feel like shit if she ever actually looks at Zendikar again.

She's a self-righteous bitch, she's gonna think Sorin desserved all she did just because he put her in the Hellvault. And when she knows he put her in the Hellvault as a last resort to survive, she'll think he desserves it for ignoring her call for aid. And when she knows the blocking of the signal was an accidental side effect of the vault that he didn't even had time to test yet because he was just don't creating it, she'll think he desserved it because he hurt her feelings.

Nahiri is the closest they've been to writing a real woman, she can't be wrong because she doesn't want to be wrong.

So for those who got the book already (mine's set to arrive on the 8th), is Nahiri confirmed for cunt? And how the fuck does Sorin survive getting pic related?

Well, assuming the mind Jace brushed against while he was in Markov Manor was Edgar Markov, Sorin will sit there and stew in his hate until freed.

planeswalk away?

Why is that even a question. We know neowalkers can planeswalk away from being sealed in stone.

Shhh
Don't mention that. I want to see if wizards remembers their own plot

they fucking won't

God damn it's like SoI was designed just enough to piss me the fuck off.

Man if sorin dies cause of this, we can FINALLY have a planeswalker who's direct cause of death was their own idiocy

The planeswalker who gave Yawgmoth his own plane would disagree with that.

That was shortsightedness. This would be straight up idiocy cause it would either be "You know I can probably planeswalk out of this and not die, but nah, probably won't work" or just "Oh shit, I forgot I can teleport at will, thank god it's not my main character trait as a person"

Who planeswalked out of something similar before? I haven't been following MtG in a decade, but I love me a good screwup.

Is it just me or does Sorin Markov look like a carbon copy of Anomander Rake?

I dunno' takes an awful lot of prep for a proper vivisection.

>Sorin left the moment the rock encased his head
>Nahiri gloats over teh empty shell and then leaves to wander
>hits New Phyrexia where Sorin lies ion wait
>gets literally sucker punched
>the entire set is just two oldwalkers in a fistfight through all of Mirrodin while wiping out zombie bots through boardwipes
>Elesh Norn frantically trying to keep her realm afloat while two old walkers fight past her throne room
>Sorin casts Culling Sun before they he and Nahiri planeswalk away at the end of the set
>Karn capitalizes on the devastation with a massive counter attack
>rabrask rebels on the other end

Oh, no one really signifigant, just some lady planeswalker that was mentioned once or twice and then died
It's not like that event was the entire reason theros block happened or anything.

>implying he won't just go blow up zendikar
Double jeopardy, bitch.

See doesn't take the Sorin rock with her...?
You never know when you need a mellienina old vampire.

>This passes for human in innistrad
Kay

Sorin admits that the Hellvault was a crude copy of what he saw Nahiri do with her Lithomancy on Zendikar to create the Hedrons, using the Moonsilver as a crutch to do all the hardwork for him.

I suspect that what Nahiri slaps him into is basically a mini-Helvault, designed just to fuck with him. Nahiri's whole contribution to the Eldrazi plan was making giant rocks that prevented massively powerful beings from accessing their full power and leaving the plane.

Sorin doesn't have the power to brute force a new Helvault into existence, but the Cryptoliths are pretty solid evidence that Nahiri's Lithomancy-fu is still strong.

Once Nahiri gets Sorin into one of her Lithomancy constructs, he isn't going anywhere.

Why would she care about the Gatewatch? I don't think she has ever met any of them before. She has no reason to give a shit about them, none of her plans involve them in any way.

I doubt she even knows any of them exist, with the possible exception of Jace maaaaaybe pinging on her radar briefly when he was messing with that Cryptolith.

>are you frustrated.jpg

>kill Avacyn for nothing
>get stuck in a rock
>forced to watch as your plane gets rekt
>forced to watch as others banish meme'rakul
>forced to watch as your plane rekts itself like the good old days

Is Sorin the most cucked planeswalker?

How can this bitch be stronger than sorin?

Feminism

Sorin would have won if he had just done what he did to Nissa. just blood bend then out of it can't cast spell when you can't move.

>tfw the vast majority of female players in your city think Nahiri is the good guy
Even if Sorin is a cunt why would that validate Nahiri to rekt an innocent plane?

Why wouldn't she be? They're both oldwalkers and being a vampire isn't that big a deal, it is Innistrad, all it gives is a bit of enhanced physicality and longevity.

Sorin is way older than Nahiri, that's what gives him the edge, plus she has been stuck under a rock for years and that has to affect your abilities

Nahiri has been corrupted by something and gained a boost.

And sorin has blood magic vs shaping rocks, he also seemed to be a skilled swordsman.

>enhanced physicality
Bro. Did you even SEE how he tanked Avacyn? He's more than just "a bit enhanced." Realistically, he should be able to snap Nahiri's frail kor neck like a twig. But, y'know, plot armor trumps logic.

Nahiri is like 6000 years old. Sorin is 7000. The difference in their respective ages and power-levels is sort of at that point where its not a huge deal anymore.

Sorin was a hairs breath away from losing their confrontation a thousand years ago too. Sorin just has stronk vampire powers and some life stealing/death magic. This solves a lot of problems, but Nahiri's Lithomancy is just waaaay more abuseable. And Sorin, like an angry idiot, went to HER. Fought her in a place where he already knew beforehand she had used her lithomancy to fuck the place up.

There is a 0% chance that Nahiri didn't tech up the ruins of Markov manor to give herself a defensive advantage. We already know she can mess with the leylines of Innistrad directly with her cryptoliths, chances are good she was sitting on top of some ridiculous mana batteries saved up just for blowing Sorin out.

Either him or Urza.

>Sorin was a hairs breath away from losing their confrontation a thousand years ago too
And then she got frozen in time and he continued to get stronger as years passed..yet she wins because reasons

>>tfw the vast majority of female players in your city think Nahiri is the good guy
It's weird how often women are unreasonably sympathetic to female characters literally only because they also have a vagina. Analysis begins and ends with "She is a woman and therefore she is good and right".
I'm not sure if it's cognitive bias, feminism, or what, it's just fucking weird. Like women who think Janeway was the best Star Trek captain and a well-written character. Both are objectively untrue but it's impossible to argue about because logic literally doesn't come into it.

>People ignoring she's a woman wronged by a man
That's gives her the high ground

>Olivia lives in the end
>she just takes Sorin's sword and declares herself lord of Innistrad now

I guess he's the cucked lord now

That's from oldwalker hood, not vampirism, so Nahiri likely has the same sort of thing. She probably can turn her skin to stone. Vampirism isn't a big deal on Innistrad.

Why would he continue to get stronger? There are upper limits to these things.

Nahiri has always been stronger than Sorin, magic wise. Sorin is a dangerous opponent in a duel, but Nahiri's magic is on another level. Back when she was a young planeswalker, she was just inexperienced with it because she was only 150 or so.

Ugin needed Nahiri for his plan to contain the Eldrazi. Sorin's biggest contribution to the plan was convincing Nahiri to go along with it, after that he did relatively little besides stand around and act important.

Once you take away Sorin's advantage of being old as fuck by making Nahiri old as fuck too, he doesn't have that much going for him. Even less now that all of the energy he invested into Avacyn, the Helvault, and the rest of Innistrad's defenses were a wasted effort.

Are they going to retcon Nahiri after this? is she going to become a dindu nothing good girl like how they did with Nissa?

>citation needed

>>she just takes Sorin's sword and declares herself lord of Innistrad now
Who the fuck cares, Innistrad is fucked nine ways to Sunday and is only fucked harder with that psychobitch as its lord and protector. Nahiri killed Innistrad already, and unless the Jacetice League pulls something spectacular out of their asses, New Grixis is happening within a couple decades at most.

>It's a there can't be happy endings
Man, I was very fond of Stronkirk bros and their deal with humans, but now Innistrad is fucked. I hope at least, due humans being on the verge of extinction, makes vampires rethink their way of life and become more protective with them, after all symbiosis and all that shit

You leave Janeway out of this you fuck.

Wizards realized that people liked Innistrad, and we can't have nice things.

>"Sorin's biggest contribution to the plan was convincing Nahiri to go along with it"
>Completely ignoring he was the guy who stopped/paralized the Eldrazi, all of them, so Nahiri and Ugin could trap them

Innistrad is as fucked as Ravnica was when the guildpact was destroyed.

It will literally be the same when we get back.

We know the extent vampirism affects people on Innistrad through the Planeswalker's Guide to Stensia. That and the dozens of pictures of vampires getting fucked up from normal human beings on Innistrad.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/savor-flavor/planeswalkers-guide-innistrad-stensia-and-vampires-2011-11-02

The thing is she did that, but Sorin still almost won because he's stronger and more experienced than her but he failed where it counted, he should have stayed away from the walls she was over dependent on them anyway.

>>is she going to become a dindu nothing good girl like how they did with Nissa?
>Garruk will never be a complex or interesting character
>Nissa will never be the signature GBx walker going around the planes turning elves into supremacists and fucking with humans for lolz
>Nissa will never be the scary elf Hitler character again
>She's literally just "Generic elf mage" now.
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hahaha, no, Innistrad is literally fucked, humans are literally on the verge of extinction, evrything that isn't human eats humans, and they're the supreme majority. And once humans disappear so will the rest of monsters because they depend on them

The mending limited what Planeswalkers can do NOW, but it didn't undo anything they had cast before. Thats why Sorin can't make a new Avacyn these days, but Avacyn herself didn't just poof away because the mending happened.

That means that any and all of the permanent-duration defensive buffs and enhancement spells that any Oldwalker cast on themselves before the mending are still in effect. This was very common practice among oldswalkers back in the day, to keep themselves from getting ganked by surprise attacks.

Thats a large part of what modern era Sorin still so powerful, even beyond what what a Vampire of his age would be.

It would be the height of stupidity for Nahiri to have not invested in her own defenses as well back in the day. Especially since she had two other Oldswalkers as mentors, both of whom considered her an irreplaceable resource.

Literally no one here liked old Nissa. Stop pretending that you did now that they changed her.

That's an argument, not a citation.

And with the guildpact gone all the guilds should have went to war in grabs of power and made Ravnica hell on city-earth.

Its gonna be fine, everything will be ok.

I'm not him, and sure, nobody liked her, but it was way more interesteing than now.

I think the problem isn't so much anarchy as it is the non-psycho humans of Innistrad by outnumbered a thousand to one by species who eat humans to survive. The only thing which was keeping the balance were the angels, and those are all gone.

Either Sorin and the Jacetice League stick around to build up the Humans' defenses to the point where they can defend themselves, or cull the populations of demons, devils, vampires, werewolves and various horrors, or the place will just spiral out of control when the humans die out, followed by the vampires and werewolves who require humans to sustain their numbers.

I didn't like her, user, I hated her guts. That's what made her an interesting and engaging character, she was deliciously hateable with a list of personality flaws and loathesome traits as long as my arm. She was a great antagonist walker and a great flavor of GB. Now she's fucking dull, like every other Jacetice League walker, because they're being forced into the most generic hero mold possible. With the exception of Chandra, whose personality is and always has been "FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE".

>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/campaign-vengeance-2016-07-06

Nahiri wins.

You're fucking stupid.

Each guild had enough minds to know that a total war was mutual assured destruction, that's why they didn't go on a total war...the problem in Innistrad is than 80% of the monsters are mindless horde of rip and tear, and the other 20% are driven by a mad lust and lead by a crazy bitch. then you have poor humans who literally can't defend themselves.

You basically are saying Zendikar, without the gatewatch, with all those eldrazi roaming around would be perfectly ok.

>I'm out of arguments, quick, lets use add hominems
I'm not even that guy, but at least his argument is sound and has some foundation.

>>the point where they can defend themselves, or cull the populations of demons, devils, vampires, werewolves and various horrors,
>Sorin goes full Mardu and becomes Sorin, Cleanser of Innistrad
>Spends the next few blocks on Innistrad murdering every single monster he can find and taking petty vengeance by murderfucking his way through the entire plane
>Humans mistake him for some new angel and start worshipping him
>Sorin hears you, Sorin don't care, Sorin is busy murderfucking the entire Devil species while practicing for a rematch with Nahiri.
I don't know about you, but I'd watch it.

>Sorin does all of this while trapped inside a big ass prison rock
All praise the rolling stone, hunter of beasts!

Sounds fucking glorious. Dear based god, please.

It absolutely isn't, because he's neglecting the single biggest fucking event in neo magic; the mending. Sorin lost the nearly beyond scope bulk of his power extremely recently, in-fucking-cluding any acquired strength in the interim. The first guy should not have brought up their previous fight because that's comparing warring gods to a special needs melee, but at least he had other points that weren't retarded.

That doesn't even make sense, rakdos cultists and gruul would not give a fuck, Dimir should have had a field day and had operatives in literally every position of remote power by the time we returned, if Niv-Mizzet didn't peace out after killing the nephilims to heal I'm pretty sure the Izzet league would have had a field day too, possibly simic as well.

Innistrad is a popular, I can say with absolute certainty humanity ain't gonna die out, whether the gatewatch hooks them up or they make a breakthrough in warfare technology, innistrad isn't gonna turn into backwoods grixis.

>Olivia: "lol nice sword fag, I'm Lord of Innistrad now"
>Sorin: "Cthulhu is on our doorstep and will kill us all, help me out"
>Olivia: "lol bored now, peace out fang nigga, you rock"
>Sorin: [Screaming internally]
Olivia just won the coveted "Biggest retard in this block" award.

As far as angels go, isn't there still Sigarda and her host?

nahiri also suffered the mending, smartass, and while she was still trapped in a stone for many centuries, Sorin had those centuries to get stronger, proportionately.

Sigarda is fine, her flight of angels might be a different story though.

>Sigard
Yes
>Her host
Literally all dead and killed by the rest of angels

Yeah, it's not the worst option for Innistrad.

The Jacetice League probably isn't inclined to stick around for decades to shore up the humans' defenses, but if Sorin remembers he can planeswalk out of stone, and doesn't immediately go back to Zendikar to get some revenge, he might decide to get back to work on Innistrad.

Although this line from the short story:
>"What you took from me in Avacyn, I will take from your blood."

Makes me hope he'll succeed in literally remaking Avacyn from Nahiri's remains if he manages to find and kill her.

Yup. I was pissed with her the moment she's like
>Yo, kill yo daughteru! Bitch be crazy!

Well at least my angelfu is still alive. Shame about the other angels.

I doubt Innistrad will be completely fucked over next time we visit it, if we visit it again. I hope we do.

Innistrad needs external help, as it's, it's fucked beyond repair and this will only get worse

So, either Jacetice League helps, or they free Sorin, or something, but without the planeswalkers Innistrad will eat itself

>I hope we do.
After Zendikar, Ravnica, and Innistrad, I'll die happy if we literally never revisit an old plane ever again. But I know Return To Theros is fucking inevitable and will somehow be worse than original Theros in every way.

I imagine we'll see a cycle of new plane>old plane>new plane>etc or some shit after Kaladesh.

>he doesn't know that Red-Black is the color of ultra-hedonism

Who cares if the world ends tomorrow, when tonight we can party?