/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: +20 to Hit Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread
The user who runs the Mega has a second trove for community DMs Guild title submissions. Any and all are welcome to submit via email, all anonymously. No promise of quality, though.

What's your opinion on Epic Boons?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Epic boons are fine. Most campaigns won't ever see them.

If you want a short, fun diversion, let your players make level 20s and choose an epic boon. Play out the session against similarly broken NPCs.

Also, casters>martials.

Considering we now have an entire mega for things like this, has anyone actually tried Matt Mercer's Blood Hunter yet? How does it hold up compared to the regular classes? It seems a little (read: cripplingly) angst-ridden from a flavour standpoint, but that's nothing that can't be handwaved in specific settings, and mechanically it seems fine but I'm not particularly well versed in this sort of thing.

What is the most fun way to be an archer in 5e?

Bard, with one level in fighter to start.

You take swift quiver with your magical secrets. Probably haste too, for if you run out of 5th level slots.

If you're like me, then maybe an elf spellcaster. So that you're fragile and have to rely on cover and careful positioning. Not the most optimized way, obviously, but restrictions for the sake of challenge can be fun.

Battlemaster Fighter, although it works out slightly stronger using a hand crossbow with the feat.

Eldritch Knight with a Bow is pretty Baller

Pact of the Blade Warlock with an understanding DM.

I still don't get why they limited it to melee weapons (except if your DM is kind enough to give you a magical ranged weapon to bond).

+20 to a single ranged attack per short rest doesn't seem excessively broken. The ability to use it repeatedly would be, but near-guaranteeing yourself a 95% chance to hit once per short rest seems like the right amount of power for an epic boon.

Lvl 20
Archery Fighting Style
Boon of Peerless Aim and Sharpshooter, +3 Arrow, +3 Longbow, Bracers of Archery, with 30 Dexterity from Epic Boons.
+39 to Hit
+28 damage

WEW

>lvl +20 characters are powerful!

Well... yeah.

>+39 to Hit
...once per short rest, and then +19 to hit. Still impressive, but not game-breaking given the challenges level 20 characters face.

Sup /5eg/. I need help fluffing out my Half-Orc paladin of Bane for Adventurer's League. I chose the noble background because I wanted to make him the half-orc son of a minor lord of one of the towns on the Sword Coast. His whole reason for wanting to adventure is to get a title for himself since his father hardly acknowledges him. How do I fluff the oath of vengeance for someone who's Lawful Evil? Also dump masks, because he's very ashamed of his apperance.

>inb4 WHY DOES HE WEAR THE MASK and him being a big guy

I can't wait to see the look on your face when you find out that at level 20 rogues can say "Yes actually I did hit" or roll a nat20 for an ability check. Once per short rest.

When will wizards balance their demi-gods

You could instead of taking an oath of killing certain things, take an oath of popularity. You want to hear your name shouted in the crowds, see men and women in awe or in fear at the sight of you.

Your tenants could be: Know Thy Name, if people you fight don't know who just kicked their ass, did you really fight at all?

The Big One, you are constantly in search for your greatest venture, the story that people will know you for. Suicide missions seem like the right direction.

Protect Thy Name, if someone were to bad mouth your name, do not let them forget their mistake.

The Very Best, you often wish to be the best at what you do, swordsmanship, spell casting, anything you do, is what you want to be the best at.

From here on you could even fluff it into a new oath.

BANE?

I'm really torn between having him want to bring his family fame and glory so that his father will acknowledge him or having him want to get revenge on his father by outshining him. Basically daddy issues and pride out the wazoo.

Wasn't 5th edition supposed to end all this garbage?

Well if you aren't going to make a whole new oath then that's what you would go for no matter. It's he only oath that allows you to be selfish most of the time. But don't be afraid of a homebrewed oath.

I'm having lots of fun with my current fighter.

Human Fighter (Going Champion)
Protection Style, Crossbow master feat.
Hand-crossbow and Shield in Studded for 17AC.
Shooting out two attacks every turn easily while protecting my squishy allies from ranged attacks and acting as a still-tough obstacle for those trying to engage in Melee. Damage is low since only have 1d6+3 going for me.

By level 11 going to have pumped his Dex up and taken Archery fighting style to boost my to hit, letting me belt out 4 attacks every turn and taking sharpshooter for huge damage.

Then just have it be a blurred line. When it finally happens, everyone will hold their breath anticipating how you respond to it. Will you have grown the fuck up and accept the acknowledgements gracefully or will the moment and the power go to your head?

Speaking of Boons, win an increased maximum ability score, the highest possible AC would require at least one level in Barbarian, with 30 Dex and Con, with a +3 Shield, Defender (+3 into AC), Ring of Protection, and a Cloak of Protection. That alone gives 40 AC. Have at least one level in cleric, and one level in wizard. Cast Shield of Faith, and use reaction to cast shield, giving you 47 AC.

If you wanted to take this even further, you can magic jar yourself into a Tarrasque, for 62 AC.

Eldritch Blast pretty much has you covered as far as ranged options go.

I'd just fluff it to be a magical energy bow that you fire when you cast it.

So I think my DM made the wrong call but maybe I just don't know how blindsight works. You be the judge.
I super buffed myself with the help of the ranger to sneak into a room guarded by a huge red dragon using both invisibility and pass without trace on my maxed Dex skill expertise proven talent stealth check. Minimum stealth check of 33.
The dragon immediately turns towards me and locks onto me the second I enter the room with no rolls made. The DM explains that blindsight allows him to know where I am. I think this would negate any advantage invisibility might grant but that the stealth roll would still be opposed by his perception to notice me with his heightened senses. But, the DM is the arbitrator so I let it pass.
Then when combat begins I use Mirror Image on myself for some extra defense since I apparently can't hide at all to make sneak attacks and the DM says that blindsight allows him to ignore the effect of it. I don't think it functions as True Sight but again the DM insists and I drop it.
Now, am I wrong here or does Blindsight just negate all stealth and all illusions? PHB doesn't really have anything to say on it as far as I can tell. Maybe the DMG does?

It doesn't negate Stealth. Honestly I can't see it negating visual illusions. Now, a creature using Tremorsense, he could likely ignore your mirror images.

From what I understand blindsight does not give away your stealth check as long as you beat its passive or active perception. Not sure about the images though.

>What's your opinion on Epic Boons?
They're a fairly elegant, open-ended solution to the problems that epic-tier play can bring. I like them a lot, even if I'm unlikely to ever see them.

Assassin or thief rogue. Bonus action hide each turn while running in the background of the fight between pieces of cover, getting advantage and sneak attack with single pinpoint shots. Take a single level in fighter for that delicious +2 to-hit.

Throw Sharpshooter on there at some point as a bonus.

Blindsight means you don't need to rely on vision to see things. Hearing is just as strong. This doesn't mean you can see invisibility it just means if you can hear something you don't have disadvantage on attacking it and you pretty much know where it is. Pass without trace actually helps your visual and audio stealthiness.

So in total yes he should have made a roll for it, only true vision or see invisibility would allow no checks needed.

Of course this rule is overruled by "He's DMing it it's his rules." But if you want to mention how you think he might have messed up you could. Don't try to have them go back and redo the scene, just keep it in mind for later. And always be prepared for the DM to just shut you down. It's his game if you don't like it make your own.

I'm going to be playing my first 5e game (and first Veeky Forums game at all) i want to build a slightly autistic fairly violent rogue, but charisma is required for intimidation and wisdom is required for perceiving traps both of which are kinda required for decent rogueing but also aren't compatible with being a violent autist. Am I fucked or is there a creative way to stat this?

Stealth is more than just being hard to see. It's being hard to hear, standing downwind, etc.

The description of the Spell Mirror Image specifically states that creatures with either Blindsight or Truesight are unaffected by it.

However, nothing is immune to stealth unless it has some form of Detect that you would trigger in proximity. Dragons are just fuckhard to sneak up on with their incredibly passive perception. You should have been able to sneak up on it.

>join a 5E group
>I'm the only powergamer in a group of 6 people

If a Cleric uses their Channel Divinity, say using Turn Undead, and the monster wins the saving throw, is the Channel Divinity lost, or can the Cleric try to use it again that rest?

It's used up regardless of its success

Expertise. You get two skill proficiencies at 1st and two more at 6th that you double your proficiency bonus to. Choose Perception and Intimidation among those.

The idea of boons gave me an idea for a campaign.

Players are Demigods. Basically they get one free feat and boon along with normal shit, and they need to build their character to match whatever their godly parent is, so say if you're the child of the god of fate or luck, you play a rogue, take the lucky feat, and then the boon of fate or luck. If it's the god of darkness or shadows or something, shadow monk, skulker, and boon of undetectability or night spirit, for storms, storm sorcerer, elemental adept for lightning or thunder, and boon of the stormborn, shit like that.

Does it sound interesting?

It could work out if your players are all on board with it. You may also want to use Hero Points in the DMG to give them a bit more of a lucky, heroic edge.

Isn't that doubling a negative modifier though?

When wizards recognizes that giving every class equal access to skills, but not equal access to spells is fundamentally imbalanced. Only then will they balance their shit.

Most fun character I've ever played so far.

Human Eldrich Knight with a Hand-crossbow as his bonded weapon, using Nets as back up. Has Crossbow master feat, rest has been pumped into Dex and Int. His general plan of attack is a nice mix of shooting his crossbow three times, throwing a net then shooting, or mixing a cantrip in from time to time.

Absolute favorite is throwing a net on someone then casting Bonfire.

Net causes them to be restrained, meaning that they have disadvantage on their save vs Bonfire, then on the start of their turn, they need to spend their action getting out of the net and try to maneuver away causing an AoO with possibly a second net, which if hit, restrains him again and roots him in place (In the fire). If this happened, or they failed to escape the net, or they chose to attack with disadvantage, they end their turn taking more damage again at disadvantage to save. Additionally any attacks against them have advantage.

So they either A) Are vulnerable as fuck, then waste their turn, doing nothing but try to escape and take damage or B) Are vulnerable as fuck, then spend the turn trying to fight back with disadvantage, then take extra damage and are still vulnerable as fuck.

The only issue with nets is the fact that you need Sharpshooter to use them at 10-15ft and/or Crossbow master to use them within 5ft, but if you invest your turn in using one (Or have haste, so can do it for free) you get huge bonuses making a guy a literal target and wasting his turn. Even if it is only DC10 it costs an action and against many "Elite" type enemies, trading an action for an action can cripple most enemies since when they do escape from your net, you just throw a second net on them.

Your proficiency is always +2 at 1st level and increases thereafter, no matter what your stat bonuses are. Of course you have to be proficient with the skills in the first place to take expertise, but even if you had a -2 CHA modifier to Intimidate, expertise gives you +4 at first level, climbing higher as you level up.

Fighter or spell-less Ranger variant if you want to also be able to have some weak healing capability.

>Most campaigns won't ever see them.

That's because most 5e players are fucking casuals.

Seriously, the reason most of Veeky Forums can't find a stable game to get to level 20, is because of the life choices that they made. They are either autistics who sperg out over minor differences, or they play with people who aren't even their friends, or they decide to squirt out some shitspawn halfway through the campaign and never make it past level 8.

I personally made it to level 20 over the course of 6 years gaming with my best friends who I still play with because our lives worked out that we stayed in the area making decent money and can still hang out all the time.

Whereas most of the fuckers on Veeky Forums went halfway around the country chasing their "dreams" meaning working 70 hours a week for Mister Shekelstein. I work 30 and make more than enough to live. I also have a long term girlfriend and no children and no plans to have any.

It's your own fault you can't have a long term game. Don't give me that "real life" bullshit, I have a real life, and your pathetic attempts to tell me to "man up" while you desperately envy the life I have, will simply make me laugh harder.

Is there any good variant material for a Druid without Wild Shape?

That's nice and all but is that a FAMAS?

>playing a cleric of Lathander
>party just saved a village from a bugbear attack
>wizard uses his magic to raise some of the villagers as undead minions
>decide that the just and holy thing to do would be to turn undead and lay their souls to rest
>wizard gets mad and starts attacking me
>call the guards
>they chase him out of town

Was I in the wrong? I felt like such an asshole.

Jesus Christ. Is this pasta?

You're both assholes. He started it by creating undead minions without asking the opinion of the party, but you're both assholes.

No it's a FAMAS.

That's a lot of baggage user. I'm not sure how to handle it.

I've got a full time job that I work 70 hours a week, making bank for Mister Shekelstein. But I still manage to run a game nearly every week for my buddies who are halfway around the country while I chase my dreams.

Both assholes, and stupid to have a Cleric of Lathander and a necromancer wannabe in the same party to begin with.

None that I've seen. Maybe you could poach the ranger's animal companion rules. Maybe have it be a spiritual companion that the druid can channel their nature bullshit into to protect themselves. Have it require concentration like a spell to avoid buff-stacking.

Champion Fighter with Handcrossbow and net, Sharpshooter + Xbow master. I'd love to use half orc but no brutal crits for ranged weapons but maybe DM permissive. Net then shoot with advantage for easy sharpshooter, action surge for bonus attacks or haste for bonus nets.

>>Community DMs Guild trove
>>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
>mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w
Thank you Meganon god.

> playing over roll 20

Yeah you're a massive faggot. I get to hang out for 20 hours a week with my friends gaming and doing whatever the fuck I want, and I don't have to deal with the inevitably shitty mic and video quality.

Also

> needs to work 70 hours a week to survive

I bet you majored in sociology.

It always cracks me up when people want DM permission for ranged attacks that was specifically balanced to exclude ranged attacks.

Dex-based guys already get an important saving throw and a slew of skill bonuses, initiative bonus, and THEN then want the few things the melee guys up front taking their licks have going for them.

Priceless.

The Oath of Vengeance is already pretty Lawful Neutral. 'By Any Means Necessary' is basically a blank check to do whatever shitty thing you want, and 'Restitution' just means you take your enemies' successes personally(in your case, because they make you lesser for failing to stop them).

'Fight The Greater Evil' and 'No Mercy For The Wicked' are basically excuses you tell yourself, justifying your behavior because there's a larger threat to deal with than your gloryhounding.

I know you're just baiting but you don't honestly think a major guarantees a good job do you

>roll20

We enjoy it, though we use discord for mics and haven't looked back. I'm thinking of moving us to tabletop simulator. I bought a copy for everyone in my group.

>survival/sociology
Nah, philosophy, then law. I'm enjoying myself. I hope you are as well user!

made me think of this

>I'm thinking of moving us to tabletop simulator.
I've thought about it too, but honestly it's not worth the trouble. It can be so damn finicky and buggy and has some annoying technical limitations regarding how a table can be set up and how layouts can be saved.

Is that a screencap from /v/ or Veeky Forums

Eldritch Knight using their bow as their weapon and arcane focus simultaneously is even cooler. basically makes an Arcane Archer and you get to imagine them preparing and shooting spells from it like arrows.

This is my worry too. We're going to try it out one session and then talk out what we would prefer. Even if we don't use it for rp, we'll get plenty of mileage out of it by playing boardgames through it.

Why is D&D so bad when it comes to investigative stuff? I'm DMing CoS and the party is supposed to find a little girl from the Vistani camp near Vallaki who was kidnapped by a local drunkard, but there's no clues or anything like that, the game just expects them to eventually stumble upon her. This shit sucks.

no fuck defender, doesn't that take atttunement, INSTEAD what you want is to attune 3 x +3 animated shield for +15 AC. that gives you 59 AC.

what sounds like good claw or bite damage for a small beast like a Lynx or bobcat?

If it was /v/ it wouldn't have been a joke

One of the bits of lore that all Vallaki residents know is that the town drunk keeps fishing at the lake despite not being able to get everything.

And hey, the entry for the lake describes them running into the drunk just as he throws the girl into the lake.

This isn't D&D failing, or even CoS failing. This is you failing to read the book.

>Does it sound interesting?
I think it does user. Starting at level 1 right? Yeah that sounds fun to me.

Veeky Forums, I forget what thread though

Playing each week for 2 years has got my group to level 6, even if it's less combat than the average game that's still a lot of time. We go to university together so unless we want to play online across borders after it's going to have to end in a year, and we probably won't get further than 10.

>Playing each week for 2 years has got my group to level 6
not that guy, but damn, you actually responded to that bait

>being a powergamer

Try not to get kicked.

>I get big numbers in the endgame with the very best items I could possibly have
wew

That's not really a clue. It expects characters to go to the lake in the first place, which is very far from the camp, without anything to help the players. There's no way to even know where the girl was before she got missing, the vistani can't provide anything useful.

>+3 bow and +3 arrow is the best possible items for an archer

Assuming everyone made their chars together he started the douche-mode, you ended it.

Personally I support your actions, but I've DM'd so many FR games I'm kind of used to that guy who tries to be edgy and dark and then freaks out when the setting punishes him for it.

why are you bragging about how big your dick is

>no children

Now who is working for the Jew, hmm?

(You)
I decided to throw something together for it. I haven't looked into how fucked it can be, but the concentration requirement until 18th level should keep it mostly in check.

(Reposting because formatting fuckups).

Thanks! Does anyone think there might be some balancing issues from the fact that you're basically summoning an additional creature instead of transforming into that creature?

It is overpowered as it allows you Moon Druid level powers while effectively having the Natural Spell feature at level 2.

Being able to throw out spells while their companion is out from 2nd level might be a problem. Maybe if the companion flat-out requires concentration to begin with without the 1 minute freebie time it would be a bit better. Then it acts like a low-level summoning spell, but less fucky because it's only one creature instead of 8.

Note that as written, no spirit can use powers like Multiattack or Ink Cloud, as they aren't in the list of commandable actions.

>tfw you can never make a Drow Ranger because of Drizzt
>tfw you will never explore the bioluminscent forests of the Underdark
>tfw you will never have a riding lizard
>tfw you will never have an elf slave

Kek

As a sanity check, I ask myself this question: how many shots does it take for a character to take out a tank from the Reign of Winter adventure book with an unenchanted small arm? If the answer is one round, yeah, it's probably too strong.

1d4?

Is it an awful idea to be a Half-Orc Paladin of Lathander whose main goal in life is to kill orc warchiefs in honorable combat, take their followers, and convert as many orcs as possible to the worship of the glorious life-giving sun? As far as Good-aligned deities go, the sun seems pretty manly and orcish to me.

Once I have enough Orcs, I will launch a crusade on all evil.

Which of the Wizard specialties is the most bro-tier? I just want to be a cool Wizard, you know, the kind that's chill.

I'm a little confused as to why this was included in the monster manual...is there some joke I'm missing here?

You got a problem with sea horses, user?

Familiar for sea wizards?

Don't elf slaves owned by drow usually not last very long?

No, was just kind of hoping for an in joke.

How do you deal with inattentive players in your games? One of my friends will grab her phone and get on Pinterest whenever it isn't her turn in combat or she'll be playing with her dog while I'm trying to describe a setting or playing out a scene with the players. I was thinking about trying to hint at her in game to pay attention by giving her character disadvantage on checks or saves every now and then
>you have disadvantage on your persuasion check because the NPC saw you staring off into space for most of the conversation
>make a Dex saving throw with disadvantage because you were looking at something off to the side while the wizard cast a spell at you, giving you less time to react

You've never heard of a seahorse?