/twewy/ - The World Ends With You TTRPG - Thread #04

What is the World Ends With You?
It's a strikingly original Square Enix action RPG from 2008 for the Nintendo DS about trust, collective consciousness, desperation, imagination and fabulous outfits. Characters are swept into the Underground, a parallel dimension of Tokyo's Shibuya district, where they run through a 7-day gauntlet of tasks and trials by higher-plane beings called Reapers. Band together and win the Reapers' Game and you have a shot at returning to the Real World. Fail, and you face erasure.

>What is this?
This is a Veeky Forums Homebrew Project to create a tabletop RPG based on the above game. The goal is to create something that's fast and exciting, incorporating most if not all of the mechanics from the game and fleshing them out with new ideas that fit the themes. And what are those themes?

>Cooperation
A Player in the Reapers' Game can't survive on their own. The Players are arranged into a party where they share combat power, pass stacking buffs to one another (quite literally, in the form a "light puck") and must stay in the fight together.

We're also working a Trust and Synchronization mechanics which measure how in-touch you are with other Players.

>Powers
Players have access to powerful abilities called Psychs which they use to battle Noise, monsters spawned from human struggles and psychological dissonance that plague the Underground. These take the form of Pins that players collect and wear and activate to use their power.

>Fashion
Spend your precious time in the Reapers' Game shopping high-end boutiques or thrift stores for a new pair of skinny jeans or a worn parka that gives you extra attack power or modifies your battle combo!

>What system are you using?
Right now we're working with the system used in an actual Japanese tabletop RPG, Tenra Bansho Zero. Roll a dice pool equal to one of your Stats (Rhythm, Flow, Insight and Bravery), and count each die that's under the Skill or Psych you're using as a success.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit
docs.google.com/document/d/1yjonEzY_gVzJm5FyYksoDnx1otVEBpjAA8K1Ozw3eZU/edit
docs.google.com/document/d/16Uc3YJ-yRMoDhNc90EK5Ao0WOrubO0Gnl8ixIYQOEZs/edit
docs.google.com/document/d/1850Ubwvdlqe0_9hk176tZ91-ykkJFlHX2XeS2VAA5Gw/edit
docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit?pref=2&pli=1#bookmark=id.dq8evnbuy10z
strawpoll.me/10687572
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What have you done so far?
Here's our main document, which contains all of our ideas recorded en masse:
>docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit

We also have a couple supplementary documents:

The Psychlopedia
>docs.google.com/document/d/1yjonEzY_gVzJm5FyYksoDnx1otVEBpjAA8K1Ozw3eZU/edit
This is a rundown of all the Psychs in the source game. As we develop the system these will be fleshed out with actual mechanics.

The Thread Count:
>docs.google.com/document/d/16Uc3YJ-yRMoDhNc90EK5Ao0WOrubO0Gnl8ixIYQOEZs/edit
This is going to catalog the various Threads (clothing) and Brands from the source game, as a resource for GMs to use in their own games.

The Couture Matrix:
>docs.google.com/document/d/1850Ubwvdlqe0_9hk176tZ91-ykkJFlHX2XeS2VAA5Gw/edit
Rules for randomly rolling new Threads.

Also, I could have sworn we had another link. Oh well.

>What's on the Agenda?
Final touches for pins, a few more noise and small adjustments will be all we need for playtesting.

I know I said that last time, but I really mean it for realsies this time.

Last Thread:

First for Lapin Angelique!

Second for tin pin?

Sure, why not

Thoughts about Noise that I had during this morning's work-out.

I'm not sure if Archivist and I have been on the same page as to how Noise work, but I think I've got it figured out. I was still in the mindset of Tenra Bansho Zero, where all combat is a set of contested actions, but that will result in slower and more random, when our goal should be to streamline fighting as much as possible.

I'm not sure if this is what Archivist thought to begin with, but here's what I've been considering:

>Noise Attacks
When a Noise attacks a Player, its attacking stat, typically Treble, acts as a static Difficulty that the Player must beat using a defensive Skill or Psych. If they fail to get enough Successes, then the player takes damage based on the difference between their Successes and the Noise's attack stat.

>Example
>Jazz gets attacked by a Noise with a Treble of 4. She rolls Protect:Flow to get out of the way but only gets 2 Successes. The Noise's attack deals 1 Damage per remaining Treble, so Jazz takes 2 Damage.

If multiple of the same Noise attack a Player at once, then their attacking stats are added together to form a much bigger Difficulty that the Player must overcome.

I'm thinking that attacks from different Noise are resolved separately, but they could also be combined similarly to the above.

>Noise Defense
Similarly, a Noise's defensive stat, usually Bass, acts as a difficulty that the Player's attacking pool must overcome. Each point of Bass will cancel one Success from the Player.

>Example
>Rock is attacking a Noise with a Bass of 2. Rock rolls 5 successes with his Shockwave Psych. The Noise's Bass gobbles two of those Successes, so he deals damage with 3 Successes. The Noise takes 6 damage.

One of the advantages in this system is that the GM never has to roll for his Noise's attacks or defense. If a Player uses an attack that targets multiple Noise at once, the GM doesn't have to make separate defense rolls for each Noise.

Oh and here's the character sheet, since it's always good to post this early in the thread.

Here's something I posted at the end of the last thread, shortly before it got Archived that I think it worth talking about:

One thing I'm worried about in making these Pins is that there will eventually come a point where, because of Pin choices and Player actions, a Player has a turn where ALL of his Pins are on reboot. Obviously this is a case of being hoisted by one's own petard, but it still kind of sucks from a fun-having perspective.

Here's an idea to help mitigate that:

>The Intrinsic Psych
Each Player has an Intrinsic Psych, which is unique to him, and serves kind of as a basic attack. This is what Shiki (Groove Pawn), Beat (Respect) and Joshua (who knows) use. An Intrinsic Psych has an instant boot, no reboot and unlimited uses, but is fairly weak compared to regular Psyches.

Intrinsic Psychs do not consume AP as normal and don't have Ranks. Instead, you roll 1 dice for each AP you use, and your target Rank is based on your highest Tag, which is the one that most represents you at a given time. As a result, it's possible for the form of your Intrisinc Psych to evolve throughout the game, but it still has the same effect.

An Intrinsic Psych can either have Range 0 and deal 2 Damage per Success, or have Range 1 and deal 1 Damage per Success. You can't combo with your Intrinsic Psych.

How does that idea sound?

I thought we all agreed to it. However, with your new creature idea of having a difficulty of hitting, wouldn't that kind of ruin the intrinsic pins? You'd need to spend all of your AP just to connect at higher levels. Perhaps instead having its dice based on your Tag instead, with its rank being purchasable for Soul, or its Rank being linked to its Mag? Also, if all pins start at Mag 1, then these could be Mag 0.

Actually I've rethought the AP= Dice approach, and the Intrinsic Psych attack should just be Tag:Stat like most Tag rolls already are.

I like the idea of the Intrinsic Psych being attacked to a Tag or Tags because it means it emerges organically from the design of the character. Shiki's Intrinsic Psych is Groove Pawn, and it allows her to control Mr. Mew because she has the Tag "Fashionista". Beat's Intrinsic Psych is Respect, a Shockwave Pin using his skateboard, because he has the Tag "Skateboard Punk" or something along those lines.

It's not really meant to be a replacement for other Psychs, just an option so that you don't need to use a Psych if you don't want to for some reason. It's a bit of a departure from the core game but I think it could be necessary. It also means that if you know a Noise is almost dead you don't need to waste a Psych use on it to take off 1 HP.

Hey Jazzman, since you've got a prospective playtest coming, what's left that you'd like to have done to be able to run a basic game? I'd love to finish off the Mag-0 Pins that we've been working on so that everyone has a decent selection to choose from, but what else?

I MAY have a playtest tomorrow. Nobody has actually responded.

I guess I need enemies for day 2, as well as actual character building stuff and intrinsic pin stats.

Also, what a mag advancement actually means, stat-wise.

>Also, what a mag advancement actually means, stat-wise.

Here's kind of what I'm thinking. This is totally speculative right now:

Damage Limit +2: 1 Mag
Uses +1: 1 Mag
Damage +1 + Successes: 1 Mag
Damage per Success +1: 2 Mag
Targets +1 (for Multi-target Psychs): 2 Mag
AP Cost -1: 2 Mag
Range +1: 3 Mag

Of course we also need to figure out the actual rules for increasing a Pin's Magnitude.

Mag should cost Soul. Say probably Soul squared. That would be 1 Soul to go from 0 to 1, 4 to go from 1 to 2, 9 for 3, 16 for 4, 25 for 5, etc etc etc. Though I feel certain amounts of "points" should be allocated per mag. Say you got 3 points per Mag and followed your level up chart. Upping Damage three times (for what I assume is a massive hit style attack) will be great, it means you need to score less successes to deal loads of damage. But it also means the damage limit is easier to reach. That means that your successes may in fact be only there to calculate a hit. If you instead grab a damage limit upgrade and two damage ups, you need the same amount of successes to deal max damage, but your max damage AND your standard damage is higher.

The only issue is that you're paying Soul, which is already going to be used for other things. Though I suppose you'll have a bunch anyway. Perhaps it could only be for the Intrinsic pins that you can spend Soul for, as it's a pin made specifically for you.

Magnitude should really define how strong a pin is. A Mag 1 pin should be objectively better than a Mag 0 pin of the same type. I feel your progression is a bit slow, which is why I suggested this.

Also I feel Range +1 should cost less but also only affect pins that are already ranged.

I agree with improving Magnitude being a Soul investment.

The thing about enhancing the Magnitude of a Pin is that you really don't need to unless you have some particular attachment to the Pin.

Like, you can spend Soul to improve a Mag-1 Shockwave Pin, OR you can wait to acquire another Shockwave at a higher Magnitude. Many attacking Psychs have 4-5 Pins associated with them, so chances are there's a better version of the Pin you have which you can find instead of improving its Mag manually.

For character building:

>Core Stats
Core Stats start at 1, Players are given 7 Stat points to distribute as they see fit, with no Stat being greater than 4 at the start. This would lead, I think to a fairly standard array of 4,3,2,2 or 4,4,2,2, which I think is totally doable for the first day.

>Skill Points
We have 9 skills, each starting at 1, maxing at 4 at character creation.

What if:

-2 Skills at Rank 4
-3 Skills at Rank 3
-3 Skills at Rank 2
-1 Skill at Rank 1

Which would give us 15 skill points at the start.

For Tags, Players can start with up to 3 Tags, one at 4, one at 3 and one at 2. One of those Tags MUST be representative of their Entry Fee. A Player can also choose to drop their Rank 2 Tag and start with just Rank 4 and Rank 3, but one of those must still be the Entry Fee.

A Player can choose to conceal his Entry Fee from other Players, though not from the GM.

For Battle Stats, Attack and Defense start at 0, and are improved purely through Threads, so for now they'll be ignored.

How's that sound?

>you can spend Soul to improve a Mag-1 Shockwave Pin, OR you can wait to acquire another Shockwave at a higher Magnitude.

Thing about that is, if you get that pin at a higher Mag, you're probably going to want it made in a very specific way. You might want a faster reboot, and care less about overall damage. You might want high damage and care less about range. You might want a pin you've built yourself, so you can get exactly what you want.

Building it from scratch would be objectively better, unless our higher Mag pins are just straight-up better than the leveled ones.

I'd say then that we can expect Players to do a combination of Magnitude Enhancement and acquiring new Pins. Remember that you can fuse older, lower Mag pins into new, higher Mag pins to pass on some of their Ranks, so work done on lower Mag Psychs isn't lost completely when you equip a new Pin at a higher magnitude.

>Core stats and skill points
Great, write it down so I can print it off.

>Tags
What is the benefit of dropping the Tag?

>Battle stats
Ace, we can work on it later, after the playtest.

>What is the benefit of dropping the Tag?
No real benefit, it's just that it doesn't FORCE a Player to come up with a Tag that he isn't fully board with. A character with a simple backstory and personality may not need two Tags plus his Entry Fee. On the other hand maybe he does, it's why it's an option.

Perhaps making it 3, 3, 2 instead, as people who don't focus on something single-mindedly generally put less effort into things they do focus on.

Or something. I dunno.

I should sleep, I got gym first thing and I'm already going to be operating on 5 hours.

No worries. Glad you could help out today. Here's the quantified character creation rules:

>docs.google.com/document/d/15kJXvBVinsbst0tMWmzwaUj5ddk0hotd3nifw3Hs720/edit?pref=2&pli=1#bookmark=id.dq8evnbuy10z

I rewrote some stuff about Tags to fit our new understanding of how they work:

>In addition to one’s entry fee and Medium, a Player has several Tags, which describe important aspects of their character. Tags are freely created and unique to each Player, although they must be approved by the GM. Tags represent significant aspects of a Player’s personality-- his background, desires, who he is, what he lives for. Tags have Ranks between 1 and 7, just like Skills.

>Mechanically, a Tags are most frequently used to make Drive Rolls, which work similarly to Skills rolls. You use one of your Stats, typically your highest, as the dice pool and a Tag as the target number. Drive Rolls are used as a measurement of resolve and determination-- how much do you want the thing that you’re pursuing? What are you willing to sacrifice to give it up? Drive Rolls also come into play when a Player’s inner-self is challenged; a successful Drive Roll leads a Player to cope with the challenge, while a failed Drive Roll forces them into a flight, fight or freeze response. Drive Rolls are also used at the end of each day to generate Sync from the Props that each Player receives.

>Tags can also be used in place of a Skill if it’s relevant to a specific challenge. For instance a Player has the Tag “Streetwise Thug” then he can use that Tag in place of his Fight Skill to deal with people using physical force, or in place of his Speak Skill to intimidate someone.

>Finally, Tags empower a Player’s Intrinsic Psych, which is a Psych only he or she can use in combat. An Intrinsic Psych uses the Tag’s Rank in place of its own Psych Rank when used to attack Noise. Intrinsic Psychs are discussed in more detail in their own section.

bump

Slow day today. Hey Archivist, if you do show up later can you give me some feedback on what I posted here:
Concerning how Noise work?

Bump

One thread, many bumps.

Friends afar, threads abump.

Which brands work best with eachother, both from a style and stat standpoint?

>incorporating most if not all of the mechanics
>putting all mechanics from a video game into a tabletop game
Destined to fail.

>What system are you using
That's not a system, that's just a base mechanic.

>What have you done so far
>ideas
This'll go nowhere if nobody does more about it than that.

Brutal. Savage. Rekt. Absolutely taken down. We'll consider fixing things if you tell us what's wrong, instead of just trying to shit on us.

We're doing base combat mechanics right now. Brands would, I would think, work best either alone or paired with other brands that either focus on the same stats or affect things similarly.

Follow Suit, Bump in Turn.

Blue Boards Bump Blue.

Some old heroes can't actually help threads, only attend.

Dr. Pin Jr wishes you luck.

This thread
Bump! Cobump! Tangents!
And occasional work.

So, we could, i dunno, post pin/thread ideas, character concepts, maybe art
I mean, better than bumps, right?

Pin suggestions are always appreciated.

Alright so I'm going to be pretty busy with work today but I still want to try and get the rest of the Mag-0.2 pins completed. That means working out rules for Apport and Entanglement.

I'm thinking that Apport is a Damage+Successes Pin whose effect is that it leaves a piece of Small Clutter on the Measure with the Noise it's targeting.

Still not sure what to do necessarily for Entanglement.

I also created a Strawpoll based on the idea brought up last thread of using MTG-style counters to represent Flame Core, Splash Core and other similar Psychs that leave behind a tangible force.
>strawpoll.me/10687572
If we decide to encourage their use, or even codify them, then we're pushing the game towards needing the use of a battle-mat, whereas if we turn down the idea then we make theater-of-the-mind more viable.

Here's the Mag-0.2 sheet updated with Meteor Magnet stated out. When you trigger its Finisher you do extra damage and drop a Medium piece of Clutter on the battlefield instead of a Small piece. This allows Apport to synergize nicely with Psychokinesis.

So guys, I brought it up with my group in person today.

After putting it to a vote, we got 3 votes for playing and 4 votes against. We played zombicide instead.

>pin/thread ideas, character concepts
great, I can do that.

>art
I can't art good. I can give it a go, I guess.

Also, guys, I've put a bit of thought into it, I feel most support pins/threads should either be NP or SH, or at least one brand. Probably NP because I remember them having clothes for both men and women, whereas SH was more women's fashion.

But that's just a thought I had.

No worries, glad you asked at least.

Don't forget too that a ton of Pavo Real pins have support functions. I think most of them actually.

Possible Entanglement Pin up and running. It's low damage but can affect a large number of Noise with its significant range, and it can cause Defense Break with its Finisher.

I meant most things that heal or buff your own party, not debuffs. And I suggested it because players might want to pick up different roles from early on in the game, as opposed to much later when you can afford Pavo Real.

Also, could you post the original pins, please?

I can do better than that!

This is a compiled PDF of both pages of Pins we've made so far. Contained herein are 3 Pins for each of the 4 Stats, all at Magnitude 0.

Oh, hah! That doesn't work because it overwrites the categories because they have the same name! I'll see what I can do to fix that.

Until I figure out a good way to handle that, here's the first page of Mag-0 Pins that we worked on previously.

I'm totally going to try my hand at pin design once I give the system as it stands a full read

Re suggesting Flame and Splash Core ideas.

Flame core places of tokens per use anywhere in . When a noise enters a measure with one of those tokens, or attacks while in a measure with a token, it takes , consuming the token.

Splash core is similar, but places fewer tokens at once/per recharge, and damages a noise when placed.

Spark Core is weird and moves and does stuff.

Meant to add: say if this is too complicated.

Someone said it means we need a real 'board' to track positions on, but our battlefield is really similar to Magical Burst's field system, which is barely anything, and certainly not complex.

Which is by design-- we wanted something that would be super easy to handle without even having a board, so having one only makes things simpler.

Here's a sample character I wrote up. Jasmine "Jazz" Carpenter.

Her Intrinsic Psych, which I'll make a special Pin form for, is called "Killer 88" which creates a ring of spectral piano keys that encircle her and fly off to impact enemies as she plays them.

Some people have trouble visualising and tracking everything anyway, so perhaps just having a page at the back of the game book with 5 sections could be useful, or even just making your own. Don't forget you're tracking Noise and Players, as well as everything else that happens. You could have up to a dozen noise on the field, probably more, and you think everyone could track them in their minds? And tracking individual and team health and pins and whatever else, it's better to have something to track it all on.

I'm personally in the pro-Battle Board camp; given how simple the Score is to create, I don't think it's burdensome to strongly suggest that Players and GMs use one to facilitate smooth an interesting combat.

I'm not sure if that's an accurate interpretation of what Flame Core does. Flame Core is launched at a Noise and then bounces off them or off the wall. It's not a stationary hazard, it's a hazardous projectile.

Maybe when you use it it applies its full successes against one Noise, and then partial successes against another Noise in a neighboring Measure.

Thing is, it's hard to represent Flame Core without making it sound like a Round ability, so I think they were going for a different feel and making it similar to the other Core abilities.

It's definitely how Splash core works. I thought Flame Core's balls stuck around a while.
I'll load up a deck of all weird Core pins and play around. I never really used them myself.

OK, revised I suppose:

Splash Core works like I've been saying. Flame Core is kind of a Patrol Round. Spark Core runs around randomly.
Maybe have Spash Core like I said above, Flame Core only works on enemies moving into/acting in your same measure, and Spark hits random enemies in some measure up to a total of X damage?

That's correct about Splash Core.

Flame Core and Splash Core are very similar; where they are different is with Splash Core, you plant them stationary in space, and they start bouncing around when enemies hit them.

With Flame Core, you fire them from Neku so they have an initial trajectory, and they bounce off enemies and walls.

For Flame Core, what we could say is that Flame Core deals damage when it's used, and then hangs around for a turn or so. Splash Core, on the other hand, does damage only when a Noise moves into that Measure. One's an active attack (based on Rhythm), while other is a passive attack based on area denial.

In other words here's the difference:

>Jazz uses Flame Core. It fires a ball of energy targeting a specific Noise, dealing damage. It leaves a Flame Core counter on a neighboring Measure that will damage the first Noise that enters it. The Counter lasts for 1 Round

>R.B uses Splash Core. He places a Splash Core counter in a Measure. It does no damage until a Noise moves into the Measure, at which point it damages that Noise and moves to a neighboring Measure. It lasts for 2 turns.

As much as I like how tactical the non-consuming Splash Cores can be, I think that them moving might get a little bit hard to track.
They also don't move that much in the game.

That's a fair point. So instead of bouncing all around maybe they stay in the Measure they are in and damage anyone that comes into them for a fixed period of time, to represent them bouncing all around.

The way I see it we can differentiate them a couple of ways:

>Flame Core does less damage, but inflicts damage immediately when it's used, whereas Splash Core only damages Noise when they stumble upon it

>Flame Core and Splash Core do comparable damage, but Splash Core sticks around longer

I like the second one, especially since Splash works more 'defensively'

How's damage to random targets for Spark?

I mean, they can do both. Flame is a decent since it could multi-hit, but with how long Splash sticks around, it could possibly do more damage.

Here's the template for an Intrinsic Psych. Note that it's a lot simpler than a standard Psych because Intrinsic Psychs are at once less refined (they don't have effects, really) and yet more flexible (they don't have strict AP costs or Boot and Reboot times). In place of an Effects box there's a Style and Description box, where you describe what your Psych does.

I figure that their Combo and Finishers can be based on your Threads, which gives us a use for the Combo modifier abilities that Threads have.

Make sense?

So the next sheet of Mag-0 Pins will be:

Splash Core (Insight)
Flame Core (Rhythm)
Spark Core (Bravery or Flow, not sure)
Piercing Pillar (Insight or Rhythm, up for debate)
Energy Rounds (Rhythm)

What's one more Psych you'd like to see stated out at Mag-0?

According to the wiki, Splash Core also always passes the puck, so it's combo finisher would be dealing any damage.

Which would make sense given our current puck mechanics, where you need to satisfy your combo requirements during the Round for the puck to be passed (unless you have Hold That Puck), and Splash Core will only be activated when a Noise moves (or is forcibly moved) into its Measure.

Food and HP:

So the idea behind Food is that it's a source of temporary boosts that are depleted as a Player digests its Bites.

As an example, a certain Food might be 4 Bites and grant Attack+1. During combat, the Player can digest 1 Bite of that food at a time to add +1 die to his Attack pool.

When you eat Food, you draw a / across a Bite box for each Bite that the Food is worth, going left to right, and write what its bonus is underneath. When you digest a Bite, you turn the / into an X.

That's pretty easy for Attack and Defense, but what about Health?

Food that grants Health does so by turning each Bite into a set amount of HP. When you take damage, you can digest those Bites to absorb the damage instead of directing it to your Player HP or the Group HP.

For some food, a Bite may be worth 2 or more HP. However, since you can't half-digest a Bite, if you're hit for less than the Bite's HP value, too bad. You still Digest that Bite.

Here's an example of how it could work:

>Before the fight, R.B. ate a bowl of chowder that grants HP+1 for 6 Bites. He records these bites as "/ / / / / /" and writes "HP+1" under them so he knows what they are worth.

>During the fight, he's hit for 1 damage. He absorbs that damage by digesting 1 Bite of his HP+1 Chowder. His bites now look like X / / / / /

>In the next round, he gets hit for 4 damage. He digests 4 HP Bites to absorb the damage, so he now has X X X X X / left from his Chowder.

>Then in the third round he gets hit for 3 damage. He digests his last HP Bite, bringing him to X X X X X X for his HP+1 Chowder, fully digesting it. The remaining 2 damage goes to his Player HP.

In this way, Food that grants HP acts as a source of temporary hit points. Sound good?

So how does Attack+X work?
Just adding damage? Adding to your roll?

They're called 'Bytes' in game, for no real reason.

With it just being a line of spaces, I don't think it would be too much to ask. Either some on the back of the book or even just some squares on paper would work well enough.

Bump

It adds more dice to your attack pool. There could also be a +damage food bonus as well

Hey, sorry for being out for a while. This essentially sounds akin to what I was going for, with the exception being that I was having the GM roll Treble for attacks rather than have it be a set difficulty, but I like that that streamlines the process, and I'll adjust the Noise Report accordingly.

I actually think that there should be two different defense options: Guard, and Evade. Evade means that if you roll more successes than the difficulty (or, in the case of the Noise, if the difficulty is higher than the number of successes), then you take absolutely no damage. Guard works more as you described, with subtracting damage instead. This means that guard is the low-risk low-reward option, and evade the high-risk high-reward option.

I will add one one thing, though, for clarification: The Treble should be the number of successes required, rather than the TN.

Bump.

Bump, again.

And another.

How would Live and Quake pins work within the measures?

"F" this thread

Post threads!
>captcha is storefronts

Here's my thinking on that.

Earthquake affects all Noise in the score, no matter what Measure they are in.

Street Jam affects all Noise in your Measure and in adjacent Measures.

Twister affects all Noise in your Measure.

That way we can differentiate between them a little bit better.

Work-out thoughts this morning, concerning the Light Puck.

As it stands right now in the Google Doc, the puck grants the following bonuses:

>+2 AP
>+Damage equal to your Trust in the passer. This damage is allowed to surpass your Damage Limit
>Bypass Taboo Noise damage reduction

What this is missing is some kind of escalating bonus that echoes the damage multiplier from the source game. Multipliers are generally bad, but what about this:

>The physical object that represents the light puck is infact a unique die passed from one player to another. In my mind it's a d6, which differentiates it from the d10s you use for rolling and for tracking Fusion.

>Each time the puck is passed, the d6 is increased by 1. It's value could mean one of two things:

>DICE BONUS: The player holding the light puck gets a supply of bonus dice he can add to his Attack or Defense rolls during his turn. So if the light puck die shows 3, he has 3 extra dice he can add to his pools throughout his turn. He can add them all to bolster a single attack, or spread them across his actions to make all of them a little better.

>SYNC BONUS: Holding the puck grants you a supply of temporary Sync equal to its value. Using this Sync doesn't subtract from your Sync pool, though it does increase your Soul. You can use this temporary Sync for anything, including adding dice, temporarily boosting a Skill or adding successes, as you would with normal Sync. Once the puck is passed, any unspent temporary Sync is forfeited

>Either way, if the puck is dropped due to a failed pass, the d6 reverts to 1 again.

Option 1 (Bonus Dice) is a lot simpler, while Option 2 (Bonus Sync) has more flexibility.

Thoughts?

For Players, that maps to using Protect:Rhythm to block and Protect:Flow to dodge.

However, I'm not sure it's necessarily a good bet either way because it makes guarding the all-around better choice. In both cases if you roll better than your opponent, you take 0 damage, but for guarding if you roll less you just take less damage, whereas for evade you take full damage.

Of course it's mitigated somewhat by build choice-- anyone can try and Guard using Protect:Rhythm whenever they want, but they may not be very good at it if your Rhythm is poor. Which, again makes sense because Rhythm means you're much more confrontational and can handle combat fights better, so it might be kinda balanced at least thematically.

In other words, evade may be a worse option, but for some people it may be their only option.

Atlernatively, Twister could Knock Up and Earthquake can Immobilize while it's active and can be active over multiple rounds.

I like Option 2, and we were also planning something with fusions with the puck too, I think. Passing between everyone once was level 1, twice for 2 etc.

You could also say Insight is for dodging too, and Bravery can also block.

Arguably, larger enemies both telegraph their attacks more and are slower, as well as dealing massive damage on hit, meaning that dodging is better for bigger enemies (more dice for size/speed) but worse for smaller enemies.

The way I see it, Insight can be used during the Player turn to grant another player extra defense dice by basically looking out for them in case they are attacked. It's kind of more of a leadership and party organization defense.

Protect: Bravery is throwing yourself in harms way. It works like Guard but for another Player, so you can potentially totally block all incoming damage against them, but at the cost of your own Noise Phase AP which might be needed to protect your own neck.

That's possible; we could add an effect rider to their attacks as "Burly" which means they have a lower difficulty to evade vs to block.

Alternately we could make that a trait of Noise that can attack with their Bass instead of their Treble, since that would be inherently slower.

Alright so here's an issue of terminology that I'm running through my head.

In combat, you're basically always dealing with Difficulty, and the number of successes you roll can have significant effects.

When you attack, you're taking your Successes and trying to beat a Noise's Bass score, and whatever Successes you get over that deal damage. So the formula is:

Attack Successes - Bass = Final Attack Successes

The reverse is the case for defending yourself:

Defense Successes - Treble = Final Defense Successes.

What I'm struggling with is the fact that we've got the term Successes thrown around so much that it's hard to tell exactly what we're talking about. Like when an attack says "2 per Success", does that mean if you roll 5 Successes vs a Noise defense of 2 you deal 10 damage (2x5) or 6 (2x3)? Knowing the system it's clear that the damage is 6, but it's not immediately apparent.

What about this:

In combat, a Player's Successes exceeding a Noise's attack or defense score are called HITS.

So when you attack it's:

[Player Successes] - [Noise Score] = Player Hits.

We'd use the same terminology for both attacking and defending, for the sake of simplicity.

And the attack might say "2 per Hit" or "3+Hits" for its damage.

That makes it clear that it's the Successes you get over the attack or defense score of the Noise that matter.

Does that make sense? Is it a good idea?

>However, I'm not sure it's necessarily a good bet either way because it makes guarding the all-around better choice. In both cases if you roll better than your opponent, you take 0 damage, but for guarding if you roll less you just take less damage, whereas for evade you take full damage.

This isn't correct, however. Let's say that a certain attack does Treble x2 attack, and the Noise in question has a Treble of 5, so a total of 10 damage. To successfully evade the attack, you would need 5 successes, while to nullify the attack via guarding, you would need 10 successes. The trade-off is that even if you get less than 5 successes, you will still shave off some damage.

Could this also implement the game's Positive/Negative psych designation? They attack the Noise's base or treble?

Actually that's getting way to complicated, lets not do that.

Not sure how well that's going to scale with damage as days go by. If someone is slinging 20 damage at you, it's going to be extremely hard to effectively guard against even half of that, whereas it would be comparatively easy to Evade.

Why not have Noise have one Defense stat which reduces damage by the amount shown? Bass 1 will reduce damage taken from attacks by 1, as such, having multi-hit pins will be weaker (1 damage less per success) and one hit wonders (say Massive Hit) damage them a bunch more because it's one hit, not several.

To balance this, multi-hit pins would do more damage to enemies with less defense, and can be used more often. We could even have pins or threads with piercing X, and it would ignore X defense.

Also, this way, defense down effects are easy to calculate. If it stacks, 1 per stack. If not, I dunno, half rounded up or something.

Don't forget, Noise don't really dodge attacks.

Multi-hitters can also spread damage, remember that.

Well yeah, making it better against groups. You could, in fact, have Flurry pins (and other combo pins with Range 0, pins that can't target multiple enemies) with Piercing as well, to overcome that.

I think that's frankly complicating things more than it has to.

If we go by the system that Archivist and I agree on, Bass gobbles up some or all of the Successes from your Attacks. Since Successes also determine damage, in part or in whole, it also means that Bass reduces the damage that the Noise takes.

For multi-hit attacks, the effect is pretty pronounced, because their damage is entirely dependent on their successes. So if you roll 5 Successes against a Noise and their Bass gobbles up 3 of them, you're only hitting for 2 Successes worth of damage.

On the other hand, single hit attacks have a greater advantage against high-defense Noise, because their Successes only modify the damage instead of fully inform it.

So let's say you get 5 Successes, and your attack Deals 3+Successes damage. If the Noise has a Bass of 4, you're dealing 4 damage, but if it has a Bass of 2, you're dealing 6 damage; moreover you can never deal less than 4 damage on a successful attack. So you're overall ability to damage high-defense noise is greater.

>Not sure how well that's going to scale with damage as days go by. If someone is slinging 20 damage at you, it's going to be extremely hard to effectively guard against even half of that, whereas it would be comparatively easy to Evade.
That would be the point. Guarding gives you a guaranteed reduction in damage, while evasion is high-risk, high-reward, since if you get a bad roll, you're hit for the full amount.

That said, I don't think that we should limit these to Protect: since that would favour those with Rhythm or Flow for reactions.

>That said, I don't think that we should limit these to Protect: since that would favour those with Rhythm or Flow for reactions.

How would you handle it? As it stands Protect:Insight and Protect:Bravery are mostly used for Players to defend each other, which I thought was a nice mechanic.

There will also of course be some Psychs that have defensive rolls, like the Barriers, but there are frankly very few of them. You could also use Teleport for defense as well, I'm sure.

>It's a Veeky Forums tries to design a homebrew thread
>actual fucking mechanics and design are getting discussed and produced, not just fluff

what fucking sorcery is this

Damage reduction is an incredibly simple system, and I think it's simpler than stealing successes. And having a pin that can always deal X damage regardless of the amount of successes you make seems incredibly broken for players who don't specialise in that resonance. Bravery 1 Roll uses Massive Hit to attack the enemy. No successes? 3 damage. Guaranteed. Roll also has Rounds, which is Rhythm, of which she has 4. Averaging 1-2 successes per roll, she'll also lose 1 success because it's a grizzly, meaning 0-1 damage. She can only deal up to 4 damage anyway with the Rounds per use, so why not stick with the sure 3 damage/use?

You should need at least 1 success to hit, but if that's taken away by Bass, then your massive hit fizzles. Damage Reduction is easier to work with, in my opinion. They can still hit, successes actually matter for Massive Hit and it's just easier to operate.

But that's just my opinion.

>Bravery 1 Roll uses Massive Hit to attack the enemy. No successes? 3 damage. Guaranteed.
An attack with no Successes after it's been gobbled by Bass is a failed attack and deals no damage.

This confusion is why I suggested here that we modify our terminology of what happens when you get a successful attack. Going by this, your Successes after Bass are registered as Hits, and Hits inform damage.