Accidental Magical Girl CYOA: 1d10 edition

Welcome to the Accidental Magical Girl thread!

Various worlds and multiverses have become connected together via the mysterious Overcity, a sprawling landscape inhabited by monsters and magical beings. Girls and boys endowed with their new supernatural powers can work together solving conflicts that arise!

>This is NOT a greentext adventure style CYOA with one GM and thread posting to dictate the adventure, but rather a hub thread for multiple storycrafters to use. A majority of activity (including campaigns) instead happens in the IRC, which is open for newbies to join.
Characters can be rolled with either the CYOA's purple PDF which is intended as a writing prompt and is in the process of developing an independent auxiliary combat system, or AMGC's blue pdf which contains combat rules for PNP campaigns along with the rolls. The IRC mostly uses AMGC.

Post builds, roleplay, write stuff.

1.5 CHANGELOG (Important if you intend to update a character that was created with the CYOA writing prompt in mind): pastebin.com/KZAyNZF2

CYOA Stuff:
Writefag Archive: pastebin.com/rSvTGQzP
Magical Girl Images (updated 02/26/16): mega.nz/#F!xINWxCqY!HsVA2LnU9RDMMmZieoqv9w

Character Archive:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_ugcJa0fs2KkZ-oXy7kexzqAySUzsbUJ42GydS_kV_w/
Add your character here!

RPNP Stuff:
IRC Linkboard:
titanpad.com/RWlqAHmERq
Spec Trees (spells for all 19 normal Specializations, updated often):
titanpad.com/FUjuIO6cfH

IRC on Rizon:
OOC Chat: #MGCYOA
In Character RP Pub: #TheWand&Circlet or #TheRedLine
IC Campaigns: #MGChronicle or #MGPnP
IC Shenanigans: #Overcity
IC Cafe: #MGCafe
IC School: #MGSchool or #MGClass
rizon.net/chat

Early 2015 Old Thread OP Text: pastebin.com/usMM2EC7

Other urls found in this thread:

orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps
mega.nz/#F!b58XRCQL!z50OFF70hX_OsfPpBMgCJQ
dropbox.com/sh/hzcmi8mwy455ydm/AACCowTNhIZ_Nni1zXpQgpBma?dl=0
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The CYOA's Patron Module, which determines just who bestows your character's magical abilities. But be wary, for not all of these patrons are after your best interests...

See the changelog for the edits which came with the 1.5 update!

This PDF is for AMGC 1.12, used for PnP in the IRC.
>Features 10 additional powers and 20 extra perks, as well as combat actions, point buy, and more.

>Character generator for AMGC, made by Doxy using RandomGen by Orteil.
Just one click and your mahou will be finished!
orteil.dashnet.org/randomgen/?gen=xvJyAbps

!! IMPORTANT !!
>Add-Ons to AMGC Core including the Corruption, Fusion, and Puchuu docs, now in one convenient spot!
mega.nz/#F!b58XRCQL!z50OFF70hX_OsfPpBMgCJQ
dropbox.com/sh/hzcmi8mwy455ydm/AACCowTNhIZ_Nni1zXpQgpBma?dl=0

System updates related to CYOA 1.5 are in progress, but will NOT be including any of the mechanical effects of Origins at this time.

!! NEW !!
Character sharing thing made by emperor_
mgcyoa.azurewebsites.net/

Said Add-Ons are also linked here for convenience.

Corruption, for all things fluffy, feathery, scaly, or otherwise monstrous.

Fusion, for girls who are like best friends, but closer.

And lastly, the Puchuu Expansion, for people who like it when their fluffy mascot creatures come in many flavors, not just marshmallow.

An overhauled version for the combat system.

Overhauled patrons.

Puchuu's Cagey and Isolated seem exactly the same.

Oh, wait, they're different things from the Puchuu expansion. Ignore me.

[BATTLE MUSIC COMMENCES]

I forgot to ask the last time, but from what comic this is?

Sleepless Domain.

Isolated and Cagey are mechanically identical, but narratively different. Also, it's possible to have both, which can potentially screw you out of two pieces of info.

Didn't actually get to a combat test, but found a lot of small errors in Spell Point distribution. Namely, a spell that lets you restore 1 of any stat up to twice per turn (more if you have more MS from Wings or something), for free, for roughly the same Spell Point value as "Heal anyone anywhere for 20 HP".

Yeah, that got fixed.

Will probably post info on a future test involving Conditions and the like in the next week or two.

To shut people up and to give them a taste of what is going on behind closed doors...
Drakons Update: Magic Spell Rework

>Adding a set list of mechanics and rules to spells to quickly convey purpose and strengths of certain spells.
>Creating new spells and reworking old ones.
>No single spec will be superior to all others.

All magic specializations to be catagorized by Passive, Offensive, Defensive, Utility and Buff. Passives will remain active in and out of costume where appropriate and function even without available mana to the girl.
All other spells are useable during the casting girls turn unless expressly stated otherwise.

Special Rules
Brace Yourself: To use these spells you may not have moved this turn.
Knockback: That spells was strong enough to put you off balance. -1 to your defense dice until your next turn.
Instant: Does not count towards an action during this turn.
Intangible: Impacts any physical and any non-physical target.
Overwhelming: You need a moment to collect yourself, you may not use any mana until the end of your next turn.
Phased: Penetrates all Soak.
Physical: Only impacts the physical environment and anything normally tangible.
Reaction: Spell may only be cast during someone elses turn.
Surge: May be cast if you spent your turn recharging.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing more of your rework and your take on trees.

I suppose we can just let this thread DIE...

But you should bump it or else the fury of the Old Gods will be unleashed... all over your back...

To be honest I was about to bump it, and then you did.

Sounds like MAG builds will be OP, what are you planning to add for AGI/STR ones?

Rolled 4, 4, 1, 15, 18, 5, 16, 11, 1, 11, 14, 4 = 104 (12d20)

Where do you get that from? All he did was post sample mechanics. Why do people jump to conclusions like this?

>Page 10
No.

Are Puchuu's male or female? Or are they just sexless creatures?

Is your favorite stuffed animal a male or a female?

It can be differentiated or not. You couldn't tell what Kubey was, but Luna and Artemis are obviously male/female and might be married, and Kero is male and hits on girls.

Fluff time.

We were talking about the shopping district of the Overcity: the Overmall.

It's so huge, it's an overcity within the Overcity.

Buy everything from every dimension ever!

He posted NINE mechanics specific to ONE type of build.
If the others don't get cool toys to compensate then it will be overpowered shit.

>Over City Mall

He posted nine KEYWORDS for all spells

And while several of them are really strong, three of them are explicitly drawbacks
>Brace Yourself: To use these spells you may not have moved this turn.
>Knockback: That spells was strong enough to put you off balance. -1 to your defense dice until your next turn.
>Overwhelming: You need a moment to collect yourself, you may not use any mana until the end of your next turn.

Str/agi still aren't getting fun toys for their kit, which is my issue. Unless every type of build is going to be reflavored I don't see why mag should hog all the cool stuff.

A reminder that this is a MAGICAL Girl system. Key word there, "Magic". It makes sense for there to be fancier abilities and more options for that particular style of play.

It's a ROLEPLAY community. Meaning your character shouldn't be inherently better than others JUST because you dumped your coins in ONE stat.
Enhanced strength and agility are ALSO forms of magic btw. So they should be on par with spells.
If you disagree you're actively making sure a large amount of the community won't have fun. What's the harm in buffing EVERYONE?

I don't see you giving any suggestions on how to buff str/agi. Instead you seem to be demanding others to make it for you. And there is only so much you can do with str/agi, unlike with mag.

I'm not claiming to be an expert game designer. I just don't want my experience here to be ruined because someone decided to shaft the other two playstyles for basically NO reason.
The squeaky wheel gets oiled as the saying goes.
We STILL don't have basic skills for STR/AGI like jumping, climbing, throwing objects or anything which is standard in Pathfinder.
So.

Speaking of, why doesn't the IRC use It looks a LOT more complete.

Yeah, wait until you see his finished system before you scream OP PLS NERF maybe? I mean, you can say "agi and str currently in system seem a little bland compared to magic with new mechanics" but OP? Ehhh.

Also "saying overpowered shit" for a system that literally hasn't even been released yet or even had any balance stuff shown, several of which are explicitly drawbacks?

Cool it.

Sigh.

You know, I actually AGREE with your point, but I don't think a hateboner for magic helps anything. The answer is to make sure other builds have a way to use some, more limited magic and for mag stat to act as more of a mana bar.

>unlike with mag
That's a bad way to think about it, and is exactly why D&D gets a lot of flack.

Because that system is shit, the designer is a sockpuppeting, toxic asshole who drove off the dev team for AMGC and ate a well-deserved permaban for the bullshit he was pulling, and frankly, it's nothing special design-wise either.

No one actually likes the SCS/alternative combat/notice me senpai system other than DSD and his handful of sockpuppets when he's feeling particularly needy this week.

I don't hate magic. Enhanced agility and strength IS ALSO MAGIC and should be reflected as such.
> Easily hit a double bull at 20 feet with a thrown fly
isn't fucking awesome.
But NOTHING reflects that. No called shots. No targeting specific parts for bonus damage. Nothing.
Nada.

I'm asking for the CONSIDERATION of how it will affect other builds beforehand. There's nothing wrong with that.

The development team is obviously still here, for one thing.
is updating it.

I looked through it and it feels more complete, complex, and detailed. I don't see why drama should influence how the final product is reviewed.
Seems petty.

>The development team
You mean the community? Because the people who started this all left. And this is someone completely different who decided to take matters into his own hands.

Quasar is still around and the system is still being updated. I don't understand what you're getting at.

>"Don't push that button, Heartful Punch will be back right after these messages!"

Quasar works on the Base CYOA. Not AMGCore, which is what is used in the IRC. Which incidentally is what the spell trees are for. The makers of AMGCore are gone and that is what I'm getting at.

Quasar is around AND as mentioned AMGC is still being updated by, what appears to be, more competent makers. It shouldn't matter that nobodies are gone and certainly it shouldn't cause a different perfectly fine system to be discarded.

We seem to be on the same page that it is a fine system, or at least can become one. I never said to discard it. And without those "nobodies" we wouldn't have it in the first place. But Quasar being around doesn't mean he's helping with AMGCore. He works on the CYOA not Core.

I was only clarifying that the original creators have left and that it is someone new making the updates.

The low MAG req spells are often designed to be useful for STR and AGI, and Drak's rework comments have no indication that this will change. If you're never using your mana as a melee, you're playing suboptimally and can't blame system balance.

Lewd stores?

You...uh, seem to be mixing up with the SCS shitstain. The guy doing is Drakon, who's in IRC and working on AMGC stuff and is pretty cool. The guy "making" SCS is the one who got permabanned for being a toxic scumbag. They're completely different people, thank god.

Basically, anything to do with or by MaidOfCharts doesn't actually have anything to do with the systems used by the community.

He does have a point though about the way the system is right now- which is why people generally agree str/agi should have some decent toys, be they lower mag spells that those types of specs can use, making mag more of a mana bar, alternative not-spells that just use str or agi to "cast"...People just disagree over how to put that overhaul into practice.

Rolled 5, 8, 16, 20, 18, 4, 18, 8, 5, 2, 7, 11 = 122 (12d20)

Back! Back up you go!

Rolled 1, 2, 7, 9, 8, 8, 8, 8, 9, 3, 6, 9 = 78 (12d10)

>I don't think a hateboner for magic helps anything.
>I don't hate magic.
I actually hate magic, true story. I'm still here though. I will Metal Spec my way to barely bending the laws of physics at all.

Guys, why.

Because there's like 3 of us bumping.

I'm new here and this looks interesting but also confusing. What... is it? Seems a jumble of game/system/campaign/RP/community that I don't know how to interact with.

It was originally a CYOA that then developed an RP community, which then made a few different systems to handle actual gameplay.
Start with the main PDF and cobble together something, then lurk on the IRC with your character at the ready until you feel like you know the system, the lore and a few people. From there on, it's all natural.

Rolled 11, 7, 5, 3, 11, 3, 15, 8, 12, 19, 1, 4 = 99 (12d20)

No, thread doesn't get to die... Not yet.

I have cobbled together something. Which IRC channels should I be lurking beyond #mgcyoa to start with?

The pink PDFs are for non-dice RP.
The blue ones are for either.

#MGCYOA links to the other channels in the OP, which are all RP rooms.
Just join and we can fill you in there.

Any good reading material of past exchanges so I don't have to wait for one to develop as I watch?

There's a archive link in one of the op

>tfw no Kaylees in the thread
Why do I even check the thread anymore?

Kaylee is fine. Spamming the thread with her is annoying. You want Kaylee? RP with her. Problem solved.

>bumping the thread with relevant content is bad
wew lad

>Relevant
One character that user doesn't recognize is barely relevant. And not everyone on the irc RPs with her or cares. It is only relevant to a few people.

There are other pictures that can be used that aren't her. Use those instead of the same handful of pictures.

>one persons character is relevant to the entire thread

Look, I don't particularly care that you hate me. People have opinions and you're allowed to have yours. If you think I'm a shitstain or toxic or whatever, that's your deal. In the end the only one that has to live with your decisions is you.

However, I'll thank you to not blatantly lie and imply that I didn't do vast majority of the designing for the SCS' mechanics, and that I ripped off other people. I didn't. I have many many design notes, both paper and digital, as well as conversation logs with QB to prove that, yes, I DID in fact manage to have the brain power to perform productive activity on the subject.

That said, I'd like to openly thank you and anyone else shitposting me. It's been invaluable advertisement. I think that without your efforts, I would've died into complete obscurity long ago, but with you constantly shitting over anything I post, you've ensured that I will be as relevant as long as you remain salty and vocal about it.

And that's the last I'll say regarding the subject. Good day.

Well, he's not wrong about what he said. As long as a certain member keeps shitposting about DSD, he'll continue to get the advertisement. And not only that, but the constant shit flinging does not make the community look good and probably deters people from actually joining. Which happens to be what that person wants, the community to grow. So their hateboner just serves to do the opposite of what they want.

So, if you plan on not having single specs be superior to other single specs, do you intend to implement a Counter-based system (where, say, Water will beat Fire because Water's toolkit happens to strike in a way that happens to be the Fire spec's primary weakness), or will you be making it so that specific Specs are better at certain THINGS, but lacking somewhere else so that they can't be overall superior?

How will Utility and Buff spells be differentiated?
Will every spell have a Special Property, or will it be mostly for unusual spells?

There's honestly not much information, but it sounds interesting so I'll reserve judgement for the time being.

I want more Kaylees :(

QB's called you on your shit before. Don't lie when the person you're trying to hide behind yet again is a IRC and thread regular- you'll just embarrass yourself again. "Making" is because at this point SCS just seems to be the excuse you use to spam shit no one cares about in thread- and the community doesn't use it, so it's about as much of a system for people RPing megucas as FATAL would be.

You're an irrelevant piece of shit beyond your occasional none-too-subtle shitposts about better people who made better systems. You could've been a contributor- they gave you more than enough chances to do so. You decided not to be- you decided to drive people off instead and to generally be an attention whoring, whining incompetent and liar, which is why that'll be the only thing you'll ever be known for.

DSD isn't part of the community, and for very good reason. I'll happily correct that misunderstanding if it comes up.

It does not matter if he is part of the IRC community, because you are and you have reacted violently to mere mention of him or materials he has produced. Furthermore, this thread, while maintained by the IRC community, is NOT for its exclusive use and if others happen to prefer DSD's materials to our own, that's how it is.

Let the stuff stay, cool your jets, and just let him actually fade into obscurity. Or you can keep feeding him. Your choice.

Using characters from the RP is absolutely relevant, moreso than random unrelated magical girls. Rather than criticizing, you should work to produce content for your own characters that others might like. Because no actual RP occurs here, the thread exists to advertise either the IRC or writefaggotry.

Not that user, but if DSD goes uncriticized then new people will naturally try to include him because this is a social place. They will say things without realizing that he was banned for very good reasons.

Problem solved.

Except DSD is perma-banned. And not going to be allowed back. They can include him elsewhere and who knows maybe he'll change or have changed. But this shit-flinging is getting old and could be causing new blood to be hesitant in joining.

Sigh. He hasn't changed. He doesn't seem to be capable of it.

That said, other than clarifying that DSD has nothing to do with the community if someone confuses the systems or when he actively lies about it or about some of the very people he pretty much drove off ...I get the point.

He's probably just testing to see if the memory of him faded enough to rejoin.

But he never drove anyone off. There's nothing you can use to back up this claim.

>IRC right now

Bug girls when

Monster girls are only good for eating.

kaylee no that's not justice

Stop posting pics of me it's really creepy

What's your next monstergirl going to be, MGCYOA?

Rolled 6, 5, 12, 18, 12, 19 = 72 (6d20)

Let's find out

What's SDA doing here?

Rolled 18, 18, 18, 13, 13, 17, 7, 8, 3, 17, 15 = 147 (11d20)

Turtle

I think you're missing a d20.

The general idea that is currently being observed is that no spec truly acts as a counter to any others, save for weaknesses for a Monster Girl. With this in mind, I feel that leaving the stance of certain specs excelling while being lackluster in other areas helps to preserve the core ideas behind the systems and lore.

Utility and Buffs are going to be handled with common sense in mind. Firstly to begin in low/mid level MAG (8-14) to help encourage alternatives to standard attack spam while not disrupting the current status quo. Secondly to differentiate the two, new mechanics are being written in to these spells that will help separate the two, think Instant and Sorcery spells from MtG.

All spells will have unique properties per spec. Many spells will show scaling in their effects per tier of magic.
For some insight in the specs I have completed...
Fire - AoE and DoT heavy
Water - Heavy Offense, AoE
Air - Fast, AoE
Stone - Heavy Offense/Defense balance
Lightning - Fast, Utility
Metal - Strong Offense/Defense, Utility
Time - Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey, Spacey-Wacey
Gravity - Environmental Control, AoE, Utility

Huh, fire always seemed more heavy offense/shitty defense while water being heavy offense rather than balanced like stone or having lots of utility seems odd.

That said, cool!

Adjust your bust, user.
You'll like what you see, I guarantee it.

Correction:
>Stone - Heavy Offense/Defense balance, Environmental Control

wh-what about plant?

I am currently working on Plant.

So far my plans for Plant are heavily about buff/debuff and DoT with some environmental control weaved in there. Don't worry, there will still be a shrubbery!

Rolled 7, 15, 13, 4, 17, 19, 20, 3, 18, 14, 10, 18 = 158 (12d20)

Any chance of a few guidelines for people who want to write oddball spells?

I'm not a regular of this thread. I like how sinister the Puuchuu are. Are there any animes that emphasise just how much of a raw deal the offer is?