>Be WOTC
>see popular character loved by fans
>remove them from the story
>Elspeth, Garruk, and now Sorin

Guarantee that Nahiri will attempt to fight Ugin and get stomped

first post best post

>WotC have done EVERYTHING wrong
This desu fampire

Sorin's a good black walker, he dindu nuffin, he was a good card!

>#BlackWalkersMatter
>#WeWuzFangzNShyet

What happened to Sorin?

>Garruk
>Loved by fans
Scuse me?

Don't forget Venser is dead, Koth was last seen about to sacrifice himself in an attempt to kill some of the Praetors, and Tezzeret may have been killed by fucking Glissa.

He dindu nuffin and the white mage put him in prison.

Pretty sure Tezzeret was confirmed as alive the last time WotC did their Planeswalker Who's Who thing.

Can anyone tell me why they like Koth? I just don't get it

Everything that WotC has done, lore wise, could work. The story and rational between why Nahiri, Sorin, and the Jacestice league did what they did could work. A compelling story could be told of two ancient dieties holding on to grudges and preconceptions about a world that just isn't there. How they are ultimately flawed and have fallen victim to sins that they never noticed when they had unlimited power.

The thing is, the money doesn't care. No one cares WHY things happen, save for hard core fans. And the product has nothing to do with that. It provides a nice cover, and inspires art. But it's ultimately the cards seperated from their flavor that makes them their money.

We are asking for bread in a cake shop. They could make it, and make it well. But why on earth would they?

According to them a set with strong themes and an involved story sells better than one without it. Which makes sense when you think of who's buying the actual product

Because of his conviction and strength of will. He's the spearhead of the resistance against Phyrexia, rather than just some random asshole swooping in to save the day and then planeswalking away to their next zany adventure. He's heavily invested in the fate of Mirrodin, and his influence as both a leader and a inspiration to the people of Mirrodin is made evident several times.

His actions and character just feel more genuine and better integrated into the story.

That literally just sounds like Gideon 1.0

Themes and Story are two very different things. This set has incredibly strong themes, tying into both Zendikar and the last Innistrad.

But the story that conveys those themes is completely shot. We saw no hint of animosity between the Big 3 before this block, and Sorin's character over the last few has actually been on an upswing. He was never good, but he had been doing better and actually trying to maintain order and fix mistakes.

Basically, if they had made this block more about oldwalkers clashing vs new walkers trying to actually save the plane, then it would have been a lot more interesting. Because Nahiri and Sorin's actions make sense if they both used to be mega powerful and planes could be created and destroyed regularly. But they just made it about two brooding, angry chracters fucking themselves and other people over.

And people liked Gideon 1.0, what's your point?

Tg likes Koth, but hates Gideon, even though they have basically the same story and same characters

Gideon is part of the jacetice league and is being thrust into the spotlight.

Koth is just out there, struggling as pretty much the sole planeswalker against New Phyrexia in the background. He's the underdog.

Also, Gideon has been through almost as much retconning and forced protagonization as Nissa. So he feels less real and more cardboard than Koth.

They did make it about two old walkers feuding. Old walkers clashing was always just a magical hate fuck with zero regards for collateral. In addition, Sorin has always been an abrasive dick, so it's not like his character was utterly gutted with his and Nahiris lovers quarll.

Gideon is probably the most liked member of the Jacetice League. It's all the stupid shit he's been put through as a member of the Jacetice league that's pulling him down.

Plus that whole thing where he went to Ravnica to find a way to stop the Eldrazi and instead decided that (while a plane was being eaten by extradimensional horrors) it would be a great time to do some volunteer work with this local down to earth political movement.

Gideon made the jacetice league and is only "thrust into the spotlight" in as much as he was the main character. It's like saying Sarkhan was thrust into the spotlight on Tarkir
Which retcons? The only one I can think of is putting him on Theros, which doesn't change much if anything. Also he isn't really the forced protagonist since he was the protagonist before and is shown to be a boy scout

>Gideon made the jacetice league
That's not a positive.

Sarkhan was important to Tarkir sure.

But Gideon and the Jacetice league are going to be involved in some form or another for every plane going forward. If we ever see New Phyrexia again, we won't see it through Koth's eyes, we'll see it through one of the Jacetice leagues eyes basically. We won't get a native new phyrexian viewpoint on anything, we'll have to deal with the league fixing the issues themselves.

>If we ever see New Phyrexia again, we won't see it through Koth's eyes, we'll see it through one of the Jacetice leagues eyes basically.
And I'm not thrilled with that, because SoI plot went from "Slow and creepy horror" to "Jace bumbles around doing literally nothing of use and acting like an Asian tourist" and back with whiplash speed. It's telling that you could cut Jace out of the storyline almost entirely and almost nothing would change.

The poster I was responding to said he was in the jacetice league like it was integral to his character, rather than just the most recent thing he's done. Sorry if that wasn't clear

They've already confirmed "involved" doesn't mean the main characters or principle forces of. The reason Innistrad is wrapping up with the Gatewatch is because it's still just being introduced. Give it until next block and it'll probably be much less omnipresent

How long until Ugin frees Sorin's ass?

>Give it until next block and it'll probably be much less omnipresent
Next block is literally "Chandra goes back to her home plane and things 'mysteriously' start catching fire and exploding". That's about as 'through the eyes of one of the gatewatch as you can get short of "Jace goes back to Ravnica and has to hear every petty guild complaint from Niv-Mezzet all the way down to a golgari muck-raker who got in a fistfight with a Dimir spy and the Azorius want to lock them both up on principle".

You will like Jace and shut the fuck up!

I don't think anyone is thrilled with this really. Not outside wotc's interior designers and the more casual audiences.

Currently him being part of the league is integral to his character. He is the white part of the league and a founding member. Whenever he's acting in a plane, he's acting as part of the league.

I don't even like mono color planeswalkers that much

That isn't a Gatewatch story though. That's a Chandra story, one that she pretty badly needs mind you. Speaking of which how accurate is that leak and where could I see it?

>Ugin
That's not how you spell Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker, slayer of shitty spirit dragon lies, rescuer of downthrodden vampires, creator of new Avacyns, leader of Bx muderhobos, realest nigga in the multiverse, the actual good guy.

Nope.

MtG: Curry Edition is wrapped up in the Jacetice League as well an will continue to be until the movie deal bombs.

Sure but his last act as a character was to make the league. Since then he hasn't done anything of significance, so things havent really sunken into his character

I saw a screencap of it. Somebody found a product description on Amazon or something.

Also, it isn't just a Chadra plot, because she and the Gatewatxh are actually on vacation in Kaladesh to see the Technology Fair.

I wish I was joking.

The way things are, a beach episode wouldn't be so bad

How long did it take for Ugin to free Nahiri?

ugin's shit and does literally nothing

>are actually on vacation in Kaladesh to see the Technology Fair.
I can't wait to see Pajeet Disney unveil the Experimental Prototype Toilet of Tomorrow.

don't forget Vronos

I would have liked to see him get some spotlight, since his backstory was neat.

Yeah, except then it's going to go into full robot riot mode in set 2, only to get resolved in set 2 thanks to the gatewatch all being there.

I don't think they've figured out how to pace these 2 set blocks properly.

I also don't think they've figured out that they can really just have one member of the gatewatch present and that we don't need all of them hanging around every set.

Nicol bolas is the hero Magic needs

Ugin had the minor inconvenience of being dead at the time.

Chandra in a bikini is good for me. And Liliana in a black and gold sling bikini is also good.

It's a shame. He seems like a pretty cool character and he's got a fucking great design.

With the time travel fuckery, was he actually dead?

I can't wait until Gideon comes out of the changing room wearing nothing but dreads and body oil and is massively confused when everyone starts yelling at him.
"What do you mean, 'swimming clothes'? This is how we swim on Theros."

They ruined khans to make him not dead, and he was not dead for over a thousand years in the current timeline.

>didn't stop the hedron network from getting broken
>didn't bother to look for nahiri when he realized the network was fucked up and he needed her to fix it
>likely won't bother to look for sorin

He's the shittiest elder dragon.

See, there's something for fan girls too! Or fanboys if they swing that way.

>Chandra and Lili both showing off in Bikinis
>Gideon and Nissa both getting yelled at for not wearing anything for swimming as is tradition in their cultures
>Jace still wearing a full cloak and dying of heat

Fund it

>He's the shittiest elder dragon.
Honestly, the mistake everyone made was assuming an elder dragon would give a single solitary fuck about anything or anyone but himself. He's a fucking dragon, of course he's a useless asshole.

Fine, he wasn't dead, he was in a coma. Point is, because Bolas killed him, he wasn't around to fuck with 1000 years of established timeline.
So when he was un-killed, he still couldn't be around to fuck with 1000 years of established timeline. Can you imagine if Wizards went "so Ugin was alive and did all this stuff so everything's retconned away" after fucking up Khans?

Blame Bolas.

him being back should have caused significant changes to the timeline, yes

that's sort of what fucking with time is supposed to do

>can't keep his pet research project alive
>gets butthurt that everyone else isn't fixing it for him
at least bolas schemes/manipulations do things

And you really think Wizards Creative is the team you'd trust to rewrite 1000 years of history without utterly balling it the fuck up?

Nah son. Better that Ugin was in his own cocoon.

>we changed history!
>but all it did was change history in one plane, everywhere else is identical to the way it was before
Khans and wizard's creative team are shit for a number of reasons, but they should have gone all the way with the craziness of introducing a nega-bolas into the timeline.

>>And you really think Wizards Creative is the team you'd trust to rewrite 1000 years of history without utterly balling it the fuck up?
>As it turns out, Ugin and Nahiri and Sorin realigning the hedron matrix killed the Joraga elves and Nissa was never born
>Because Nissa was never born and neither was Sarkhan, the Eye of Ugin never got opened, the Eldrazi never rose, Mirrodin ended in Mirrodin Pure, OG Innistrad never happened, and Niv-Mizzix is pregnant. With Ugin's baby. No, I don't know how that works either.
>Also, Chandra is an actual Indian person and is UR Artifacts.dec instead of Burn.dec, Jace has a functioning personality, Tibalt is a Vintage staple walker, and Liliana is inexplicably a catgirl.
Boy, I love time travel.

At the end of the day I like Sorin's story.
I feel the mistakes he made fit him as a character.
he is ultimately a Bram Stoker vamp through and though, he has incredible power but he is arrogant, he has lived an immense amount of time but he doesn't learn lessons and most damming of all he ruled though fear and is surprised when people turn on him.
Becuase of his white/black nature we always wondered if there was more to him than the monster.
There is not he embodies the worst quality's of both white and black mana, an arrogant and callous monster who thinks he's better than any mere mortal.

Enjoy your prison Kars. you earned it.

Side note: This in no way means I think Nahiri is good she's pretty evil as well but her story has not reached a conclusion yet. Maybe after Ugin?

>got curb stomped by a mortal
>by a Jap at that

The kike-dragon fears the samurai, user.

>remember that ghostfire had implications for being the defense against the eldrazi
>lol no BIG FIREBALL

>Side note: This in no way means I think Nahiri is good she's pretty evil as well but her story has not reached a conclusion yet. Maybe after Ugin?

She's pretty much at the Kill Bill Part 2 act of her Roaring Rampage of Revenge.

Kind of makes me wonder if she'll get a similar Oh shit moment.

so now that sorin got rocked, is elspeth coming back from the dead to take the bw color?

Nah, Elspeth's the most mono-white planeswalker out of all the cast. Both of them are just out of it till the next return.

But they set her up with a love and lost plot as well as being betrayed by gods. The way they left it, she is likely to come back vengeful and join nahiri and kiora in the Biggest Bitches Club in an attempt to make nissa and lilliana look good in comparison im betting

Her keeping up said she wasn't vengeful, and that she just wants to be more of a hero than before. Besides Dacks going in to rescue her she'll be fine. Kiora was already a bitch anyway.

I'm only interested in a beach episode because of the idea of Jace accidentally biting down on a Kaladeshi ghost pepper and keeling over sideways due to the horrible pain.

I love everything about this, especially Jace, the idea of the Wizards mascot collapsing due to heat exhaustion is funny to me.

Koth beat that obliterator and tezzeret got mind raped by bolas after his new phyrexia campaign failed.

Ugin is a cockstain. He wont save sorin, bolas will assemblr his own anti jacetice league of tezzeret, sorin, garruk, and a neo walker from poo in loo and actually save reality, no matter the price.

He's a Blackwalker, so of course he's shit.

They won't have accomplished anything until they kick Liliana's dumb ass to the curb and replace her with someone who's legitimately just a Max Stirner expy.

>ugin could have saved the day, making the ghostfire thing matter
>he told the MC to fuck off instead and tried to eat him

So how old is Mirrodin, actually? This is a question I never thought to ask until Tamiyo's story about the Myr. Can Koth time-travel, or COULD he at one time?

Karn created Mirrodin, so it was created sometime after Karn became a planewalker.

Karn actually found Mirrodin and just shaped it.

I would buy that set so quick

This requires art.

Also Nissa proves she completely incapable of handling her alcohol.
youtube.com/watch?v=-nHLVsNt0mU

Here's the exchange for those who didn't want anything to do with the shitty fandub.

>"Are you feeling good?"
>"Ahm feelin' good!"
>"Are you having fun?"
>"Ahm havin' fun!"
>"Are you drunk?"
>"Ahm drunk!"
>"...yeah I think it's fairly safe to say that Nissa is fucked."

It was a profile page for some Magic lore author.

The GW is going to the Inventors' Fair, woop dee doo.

>Indian Chandra and ur artifactmemes
>catgirl Lily
Yeah, no. Begone

youtube.com/watch?v=_3wPxxT7trE

To be fair he has done quite a few things wrong but he clearly does not deserve what he got.

He objectively does.
All he had to do to stop this was not be a cunt when someone came to make sure he wasn't dead.

>you never answer your phone anymore!
>so I shot your dog and burnt your house down
I was going to call you retarded, but then I realized I've seen shit exactly like this in the police blotter before.

Truly, all he had to do was actually explain the damned plan for just a second.

"Hey, student, I just got done with a massive project and I'm wiped. I'm gong to go sleep in my coffin for a bit and then drain some jackass dry. Explore the plane and be welcome. We'll talk when I get some rest."

But yeah. Being nearly omnipotent and a paranoid predator means he couldn't fucking do that, apparently. Now he's a wall ornament for trying to get revenge instead of trying to chase Emrakul off with every death spell in the library.

Oh, I wasn't defending Nahiri. She's just as bad.

So I have just read the newest story where Kor-chan imprisons Sorin. I really get the feeling that she is all "chaos style" corrupted by Emmrecal. Possible be some sort of harbinger of the tentacles.

>Killing off basically all planewalkers

>except for jacetice league

>got your color pie now with lilliana

>baddies will be some giant bullshit like eldrazi or neo-new-phyrexia

welcome to the future

Thanks to this, I never knew how much I wanted a plane of amusment....like the gate watch goes there inking it's a trap, spends some time on the boardwalk, game center, amusement park, and country fair and lose all their money...*because it's a tourist trap*

Pls no. I want eldrazi to go and stay go. And I hope jacetice league won't sully a possible Phyrexia block with their shittiness

Nahiri did nothing wrong and is the most beautiful woman in the multiverse.

>SoI has fans wanting Bolas and a Bolashood of Evil to stomp the Jacetice League

How did they fuck up so bad at making their heroes likeable?

what happened?
link?

Like the rest of Tue zendikar trio he got cacooned in something...

>Gideon: Generic Hero McLargeHuge
>Jace: A walking stereotype of smug cunt blue players
>Nissa: Used to be Elf Hitler until she got hit with the retcon bat so hard she forgot her name
>Chandra: Indian Beavis. Moving on.
>Liliana: Her entire character is that she's a huge bitch.
Gideon is the only remotely likeable one.

I find it hilarious that no one seems to remember where Gideon came from.

And btw, he's a total tool.

>Jace will never die
It hurts.