Warhammer Fantasy General

Warhammer Fantasy General: Frogmen Edition

Talk about all Warhammer Fantasy products and lore. Please be courteous and try to limit your End Times fluff discussion since its mostly seen as just the start of Age of Sigmar.

Link to last thread: >1d4chan
1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times (Compilation of all the End Times changes)
1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy (All pages marked WF on the Veeky Forums wiki)

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki (Warhammer Online wiki with lots of background articles too. Also AoR is not ded: Veeky Forums for details.)

>Resources(Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S (embed)
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux (embed)
>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

>Third party Miniature manufacturers
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk (embed)

>List of Warhammer recommended proxies
the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/462-the-9th-age-miniature-library/

>Rescued WHFRP 2e Fan Material (Please download and post any material you find not in this collection)
mega.nz/#F!apdlzArL!-j3HfTPkpJFu_tk9H0HQ_A

>I'm really curious about where you found that information, care to share? The more I learn the better.
Black Library novel "Wild City".
Right before a main character is about to commit suicide in a Bretonnian city she is pulled from the ledge by a statue of the Lady come to life.

The Lady states that she's existed in these lands and been worshiped since the "cold blooded" ones were around before the "fair folk".

Though this may contradict the new-style GW idea that she's an elven goddess, it is the older fluff and thus if you wanted to use it to justify a non-Isha themed independent Bretonnian goddess for your knightly-army then you have real fluff evidence that it is not Isha.

It's really something that you can take or leave, but here it is.

So, basically, Im coming to you guys with a question: Where do you buy Square bases from? Im interested in rebasing all my circle AoS mini's onto Square ones, so that I can use them in 9th age. I also want to ask, are Vampire Counts viable in 9th age? I might also have some lore questions regarding vampires and I also want to know if my collection of models is viable in it as well.

>Where do you buy Square bases from?
I personally get them from my LGS.
They had a bucket and were just giving out handfuls for free.

They're also in lots on ebay and such.

VC were overpowered in 8th and an average army in 9th.
Other people can go into more detail.

What are your lore questions?

i got around 50 25mm ones and 50 20mm ones from ebay for like 4€ for each set
it seems to me that vampires are reasonably viable, you have some options too with the bloodlines and all

Lore questions you're going to have to be a bit more specific on, mister manguy

I guess I'll keep my eyes open for any square bases online, but do you know the dimensions for Calvary, like Hexwraiths or Black Knights?

For fluff, here's a few:
Does ones personality change when one becomes a vampire?
Can any race become a vampire? Or only humans?
Does the one who changes then into a vampire have any control over the newborn vampire?
I know that Sylvania is right next to the Empire, and is techincally part of it. But how often Empire lords fall to Vampirism?
Building off that, how is the Empire set up? Are there lords and nobles? How does the empire function as a state?
Do Skeletons retain any sort of Identity? And are Hexwraiths really angels of Mor?
Can any race be risen from the dead as Zombies/Skeletons or become Ghouls? Or only humans?

Why do Skeletons wear such weird armor? And whats the fluff difference from a basic Skeleton and a Grave Guard? Or Black Knights?
How do Vampires control Varghulfs and Ghouls? Arent they sentient and alive?
How often do women attain actual military rank in the empire?
Do vampires just gain magical ability?
Are the lords responsible for defending their realm, or can they call for outside support?
How rare are Knights? Are lone knights a thing, or do they operate under Orders? Or is it like the Lords have knights under them
Cont.

Cavalry is 25x50mm methinks

Prepare yourselves, lads
For the worst army list you ever laid eyes on, which i threw together in 10 minutes.
2000 points of Sylvan Elves for 9th age 2: Treeman boogaloo

Lords 415 points

Treefather Ancient, level 4 wizard master, impaling roots, dispel scroll, oaken crown, 415 Points

Heroes 320 points

Dryad Matriarch, level 2 wizard, scarred bark, 145 points
Thicket Shepherd, BSB, War Standard, Entwined Roots, 175 points

Core 460 points

18 Dryads, full command, 230 points
18 Dryads, full command, 230 points

Special 335 points

6 Thicket Beasts, Champion, standard bearer, 335

Rare 470 points

Treefather, impaling roots, 235 points
Treefather, impaling roots, 235 points

I might be really intrested in those, although I am in America.

Questions Continued:
How do Necromancers and Vampires work together? Why wouldnt a Necromancer want to become a Vampire?
Are Vampires all of one blood line? How do they pick out who to change?
How long does it take for a full transformation?
And what happens if a Vampire has to fight during the day? Dont undead vanish in the sunlight?

I might think of more, but my basic premise is this:
>Adopted daughter of Lord, older than usual but fulls the gap in his heart of losing his actual children
>Adopted Daughter shows aptitude in fighting in Guard, eventually becomes Marshal of the city's garrison. Is liked rather well by the people, and she is immensly afraid of letting them down, or letting them die.
>City is under constant attack from Necromancer and army, seeking to conquer the lords realm
>The lord is kidnapped out of the blue, Daughter goes out to save him, presumebly from Necromancer.
>The Necromancer is confused at first, but the lord is Recovered and the Necromancer mysteriously dies.
>When the lord returns, he acts strangely; and soon, his strangeness begins to spread.
>The daughter sends her fiance to figure it out, a esteemed Knight, only for him to seemingly vanish.
>Summoned to a party to celebrate her victory over the Necromancer, she also learns that her adopted father has become engaged to a strange noble woman.
>As they toast, The daughter feels ill. It is then that she notices she has drank blood. Shortly after, the lords court leaves them, revealing their vampiric nature. It turns out that the lady was a vampire, and had changed the Lord and his retinue after kidnapping the lord. She had planned to kill the daughter, but the Lords pleading had changed her mind, decidibg to make her a thrall instead.
>In a desperate attempt to escape, the Daughter flees on horseback from the city. She fails to get out of the city, but is able to hide herself from the rampaging of the nobles

>Does ones personality change when one becomes a vampire?
Not especially from just becoming a vampire.
But the aspect of killing random innocent people before you learn to control your hunger means that you either become a little colder or die.

>Can any race become a vampire? Or only humans?
Up for debate.
Halflings and Dwarfs have no known examples.

Elf examples have either been retconned or are really-really old.

>Does the one who changes then into a vampire have any control over the newborn vampire?
Control as in they control the newborn's ability to feed, ability to adapt to the new life, and slight mental control yeah.

>I know that Sylvania is right next to the Empire, and is techincally part of it. But how often Empire lords fall to Vampirism?
In lands that the Vampire's want to reach into?
Pretty often.
There's an entire vampire bloodline dedicated to domesticating and turning rich merchants, nobles, artists, poets, etc... in order to get a finger on the pulse of the Empire's politics.

>Building off that, how is the Empire set up? Are there lords and nobles? How does the empire function as a state?
Every province is different.
But the normal idea is that there is an aristocratic class, a rich merchant class, a slightly middle tradesman class, stinky peasants, and even stinkier beggars.
There's the province's elector count at the very head of all local nobles; answering directly to the emperor (but doesn't always have to say yes to the emperor's demands).
But nobles are a very common idea.

>Do Skeletons retain any sort of Identity? And are Hexwraiths really angels of Mor?
Tomb King's skeletons do, Vampire Count's skeletons are usually just automatons.
Though it depends on the individual's magic, as one novel had skeletons that were actively happy that they were once again wielding their swords and brushing the dirt off of their armor.

>Can any race be risen from the dead as Zombies/Skeletons or become Ghouls? Or only humans?
Any race can be risen from the dead.
Ghouls are a human thing that just happens when you accidentally/starvation wise eat too much human flesh.

Ghouls being around could just signal that the area is impoverished or a famine has happened and doesn't signal that undead are around.

>Why do Skeletons wear such weird armor? And whats the fluff difference from a basic Skeleton and a Grave Guard? Or Black Knights?
Because skeletons are raised from thousands of different battlefields across thousands of years, their armor represents every single lord's forces that have ever marched to war.

Grave guard and black knights are just skeletons that were heroes and great fighters before death; they're stronger, more intelligent, and retain more memory than normal skeles.

>How do Vampires control Varghulfs and Ghouls? Arent they sentient and alive?
Ghouls just want to serve.
Varghulfs are so out of their minds that it's like teaching fighting dogs.

>How often do women attain actual military rank in the empire?
Rare.
More likely to be seen in Free Companies, Dogs of War, and mercenaries as I don't think I've ever seen anything about women serving in the State Troops.

>Do vampires just gain magical ability?
Yes.

>Are the lords responsible for defending their realm, or can they call for outside support?
Anyone can call for support, but will your neighbors answer the call is another question.
(the answer is usually no)

>How rare are Knights? Are lone knights a thing, or do they operate under Orders? Or is it like the Lords have knights under them
>Cont.
They're nobles, and "there are as many elves as the setting calls for".
Some books have hundreds of thousands of knights.
Some have a few thousand in total over the entire empire.

Most operate under knightly orders.

>She can only watch as the people she swore to protect die at the hands of her adopted family and friends. By the time she passes out, the city has been practically cleaned out of life. Consumed by the hunger herself, she is forced to feed on a survivor who had hid her, before fleeing the city.
>Looking for some way to fight the Corrupted lord, she returns to the lair of the Necromancer. Reading through his books and researches, he is able to bind his soul to his skull, so that she may learn how to control the dead.
>Now armed with some control over the undead, she returned to her fathers city. There, she raised a army in secret, along with discovering her fiancee, who had also been changed. He, however, had been starved for months, and had transformed into a Varghulf.
>Releasing him, and taking her risen army with them, she led a assault on the Vampire court. Despite their limited number and great power, she forced them from the city
>Now she focuses on hunting down her father and the Noble Lady who had changed her, seeking revenge.

Is that too much of a lore butchering?

I think it isnt that necromancers wouldnt want to become vampires, I think thats pretty much why they bother working with the vampires in the first place
Vamps always cockteasing them about maybe possibly making them immortal some day. Possibly. Maybe. they won't

Apparently the more powerful a vampire gets, the less sunlight affects them
but yes, sunlight is a no-no for vampires in general
if you're a stronk vampire then you only suffer some minor loss in power, while a more weak minded individual might just die

The vampires are not all of one bloodline, i think there's.. 4? There's the Blood dragons, Von Carsteins, Nechrarchs and the Lahmians
I dont know if Strigoi count but if they do then thats 5.
As for earlier questions, skeletons wear weird armour because they're literally ancient warriors who have been dead under the dirt for centuries if not millenia
Skeletons mostly do not retain identity but I think its said that the Grave Guard have some kind of memory of who they used to be
Hexwraiths havent been really confirmed as one or the other, i dont think. I think in the army book its implied that they are kinda like Ghost Rider but with horses and scythes

I need some help. I need Warhammer Fantasy Art that isn't made for ants, where can I find a database with a shitload of high rez WHF art, especially with old Bretonnian and Chaos art?

>How do Necromancers and Vampires work together? Why wouldnt a Necromancer want to become a Vampire?
They can work together and they can stay apart.
They wouldn't become a vampire because they'd become slaves to their thirst and they'd have to put themselves in the hands of the vampire that turned them for a while.

And powerhungry people/vampires have a habit of killing off threats.

>Are Vampires all of one blood line? How do they pick out who to change?
There are multiple bloodlines.
A magic focused one, a diplomacy focused one, a melee and knighthood focused one, and one that just wants to infiltrate and rule the empire as normal lords.
Change who you want, as long as you're not lahmian and trying to change a male.
(it can be done but is frowned upon)

Bloodlines don't make someone a certain way, they're just averages and cultures you can choose to get into or reject when you're turned by that bloodline.
Also there's a dirty gypsy bloodline where the majority of them are gross, twisted mockeries of real vampires.

>How long does it take for a full transformation?
Usually 3 days.

>And what happens if a Vampire has to fight during the day? Dont undead vanish in the sunlight?
The older you are the stronger, plus many have magic to combat the effects of sunlight.

Probably stray away from making her a state troop.
Town guard like you said wouldn't be awful.

There's no vampire bloodline that would really destroy an entire city and kill all inhabitants.
Like, even Mousillon (the Bretonnian city of the damned) still has an alright (if inbred and twisted) population.

A vampire wouldn't want to destroy its source of food and many yearn to rule over humans.
Most of the Von Carstein bloodline are actually better rulers than normal human lords.

The Vargulf thing more comes from killing too much and trying to drink blood from dead bodies than from not feeding.
It's the vampire equivalent of ghouls.

Ah, I see. Well, those seem like easy fixes. Just a few changes, like the Lady keeping the city and the Lords lands under her thumb. Maybe I'll just leave her off, gathering forces to muster against her, instead of actually taking back the city. Make her more of a exile. That gives me another question: How do Vampires bring their more Elite warriors such as Black Knights and Grave Guard around? Do they just dress them up?

>How do Vampires bring their more Elite warriors such as Black Knights and Grave Guard around? Do they just dress them up?
The average vampire/necromancer capable of raising those sort of troops would just raise them when he/she needed them.

They scare locals and bring enemy armies down on you.

Also it takes necromantic power to keep them alive and moving around; and not everyone's an amazing mage.

You could have her start out hiding in the poorer quarter and as the ruling vampire's taxes start getting steeper and steeper she could recruit the ghouls that form when the poorest people start eating each other.

>You could have her start out hiding in the poorer quarter and as the ruling vampire's taxes start getting steeper and steeper she could recruit the ghouls that form when the poorest people start eating each other

I like that idea; It sort of sets her up as some sort of twisted Savior figure, who starts by promising those who transformed into Ghouls a way to strike back. It would probably help even more, considering she was mostly well liked by the common people. Once she begins to actually build a credible force, she could move onto rising more advanced undead to serve her.

I was orginally planning for the Grave Guard to be the reanimated City Guards who remained with her. Now, they can be those that were loyal to her, and were killed by the usurping vampires. Im still having trouble picking names for all of the characters though,

Actually, it goes along with GW's new fluff.

Khaine, Asuryan, Isha, Kurnous, Ereth Khial, and Lileath predate literally every single thing in Warhammer because they came from the previous universe. Every single universe had the Elf gods survive, as the demigod children of the previous pantheon plus mortals.

So technically, Lileath predated the Old Ones.

But that continuity sucks, so fuhgeddaboudet.

>Does ones personality change when one becomes a vampire?
Not at first, but Vampires are prone to extremes of emotion as described in Ulrika: Bloodborn.
Their body can also change based on their lifestyle.

People who were obsessive become fucking insane about things, people who were aloof become Fey. But their core personality remains the same, and changes only really occur of the being is weak-willed and gives in to the more intense emotions without restraint.
>Can any race become a vampire? Or only humans?
Any race in old fluff, in later GW fluff the only vampires who were ever mentioned were human although that doesn't mean they can't exist. GW just had a policy of making anything they don't make a model for non-canon.
>Does the one who changes then into a vampire have any control over the newborn vampire?
Generally speaking, a vampire without a master to guide them is a Bad End, at the best joining the Strigoi. But after that? No. They're connected magically though, like how Nagash was able to resurrect Vlad using Mannfred's blood.

>I know that Sylvania is right next to the Empire, and is techincally part of it. But how often Empire lords fall to Vampirism?
Somewhat often, although purging is common. Outside of Sylvania, the only successful vampire infiltrators are Lahmians who are mostly female.
>Building off that, how is the Empire set up? Are there lords and nobles? How does the empire function as a state?
Varies by province to province in minutia, generally speaking like late medieval/early Renaissance Germany.
>Do Skeletons retain any sort of Identity?
Wights do, Tomb Kings do, ordinary skeletons do not. Think of it this way; the skeleton retains some basic memories of the brain because its just the body. Ghosts have willpower. Wights are when the ghost possesses their old skeleton, and Tomb Kings are when the soul is tied to the skeleton as if they are still alive.
>And are Hexwraiths really angels of Mor?
No. Depending on how canon you view End Times, Morghasts and Dread Abyssals (Mortarch mounts) are the angels of Morr because Morr was actually a Nehekharan god.
>Can any race be risen from the dead as Zombies/Skeletons or become Ghouls? Or only humans?
Even in new canon, all races. Orc and Dwarf Zombies/Skeletons are important in certain stories.
>Why do Skeletons wear such weird armor? And whats the fluff difference from a basic Skeleton and a Grave Guard? Or Black Knights?
Skeletons wear what they were wearing when they died, and the Wight Barrow skeletons (where most of the VC ones come from) are archaic forms of armor and weaponry from basically Eastern European regions. Grave Guard are closer to Wight than just Skeleton, Black Knights are mounted Grave Guard.

>How do Vampires control Varghulfs and Ghouls? Arent they sentient and alive?
Ghouls are cannibalistic humans. Eating the corpses of sentients has mutative properties in Warhammer, and it somehow ties them to Death magic even though they are technically alive. But technically vampires don't outright control Ghouls, Ghouls just do what the vampires say like in the case of the ones that worship Neferata as a goddess of death (other vampires probably just bribe them with food), and are generally the same basic culture as a Strigoi making them much more in sync.

Varghulfs and Vargheists are both vampires that have mutated due to extreme hunger (see the first answer I gave). The common origin is von Carsteins locking them in a tomb after turning them, then chaining them up and letting them loose on the battlefield, but some are probably just Strigoi that lost their sense of will and self to their hunger.
Generally speaking nobody controls them any more than they do Ghouls, but Varghulfs and Vargheists are dumber. In Ulrika: Bloodborn there is in fact one which a Necromancer controls, using LOTS of garlic to keep it from killing him and he otherwise just keeps its mind fuzzy using magic and when it comes time for him to unleash it on his vampire enemies he just tells it that THEY were causing its head to hurt.

>How often do women attain actual military rank in the empire?
Virtually never. The Empire is extremely sexist for the most part (varies province to province), only organizations like the Sisters of Sigmar that were female-lead had women in martial positions. Kislevites on the other hand had full gender equality since they needed everyone to do all the work from fighting to digging ditches, so any women of power are probably really pissy Kislevites. Bretonnia is technically sexist, but their Joan Of Arc expy makes it clear its not something they reject outright.

That being said, desperate times call for desperate measures and once a woman has been granted rank somehow its likely she'll always have it, even if she has to put up with a LOT of bullshit backtalk from everyone she talks to.
>Do vampires just gain magical ability?
Yeah, all vampires are hooked up to the Death lore by default. You can have magic talent and never pursue it, like non-Mage Elves, but technically speaking all vampires get the option to train in magic and can sense it to a degree even without training. Source: also Ulrika, where she has literally no knowledge of magic whatsoever other than hating it because she's Kislevite, but still senses where magic is coming from and just how nasty a spell being cast is without having to see its effects.

>only organizations like the Sisters of Sigmar that were female-lead had women in martial positions.
There are quite a few females mentioned as mercenaries and dogs of war, I'd imagine it would also lend itself to free company militias seeing as how they also recruit prisoners and anyone able to hold a spear the right way.

>Bretonnia is technically sexist, but their Joan Of Arc expy makes it clear its not something they reject outright.
One Bretonnian RPG book stated that it's actually very common for dead knights to be dragged off the battlefield and discovered to be females.

Although that may have been a play off of the late 1990's "women knights pretending to be guys" craze started by the song of the lioness novels.

>Are the lords responsible for defending their realm, or can they call for outside support?
Yes to both. Generally speaking the Empire is always strapped for troops because they're on the brink of destruction or are warily waiting for the eye of the storm to pass, and the times they aren't the Empire generally turns to infighting because humans are stupid fucks in Warhammer.
That being said, the Empire IS united by both necessity and religion so any calls for aid won't likely be ignored. Or sent without cause. Generally speaking anything nasty enough for arrogant lords to send for help for becomes the business of the Emperor, who can show up sometimes or just send his best men (like Karl always sending Kurt Helborg to get shit done).

>How do Necromancers and Vampires work together?
Generally speaking (this canon comes from the Warhammer comic series) the vampire teaches the Necromancer magic in the first place, because Necromancers tend to be insane old fucks that don't take on apprentices with any intend on anything other than a free test subject. A vampire craves servants, a Necromancer craves slaves.
>Why wouldnt a Necromancer want to become a Vampire?
In those Warhammer comics its stated not only are vampires really picky about who they turn since you create a potential rival and a potential headache, and we see in Ulrika that many are content to lead humans on as they slowly die of old age, but there's also the weaknesses that come with it.

>Are Vampires all of one blood line? How do they pick out who to change?
All of the Bloodlines are created by the vampires who turned by drinking the Elixer of Undeath, back in Nehekhara. They were all Lahmians and the trusted friends and family, plus some servants, of Neferata. It took Arkhan helping Neferata to become the first vampire, and Neferata helping all the others.

You are the Bloodline of the vampire who turned you. When vampires have sex, they tend to bite each other and swap blood which causes any future sires to have the traits of the Bloodlines their "parent" is from and any they've fucked (if they bit each other, which they usually do). Source on this: Ulrika Bloodborn, her master goes into a bit of detail about explaining why vampires have so many random powers.

Neferata (Lahmian), Abhorash (Blood Dragons), W'soran (Necrarchs), Ushoran (Strigoi), and Vashanesh (von Carsteins) were the vampires who we know for a fact created Bloodlines. Some of the others were mentioned as staying Neferata's servants, in particular Prince Xian Ha Feng who she sent to China and Naamia who she kept around as a lesbian lover. The rest just kind of exist, and half the time GW completely forgot to mention them or fucked up their names. They are: Maatmeses,Harakhte, Zhuras, Ankhat, and one who was never named and is a blank check for your own OC Bloodline.

>How long does it take for a full transformation?
I don't think I've ever seen a description.

>And what happens if a Vampire has to fight during the day? Dont undead vanish in the sunlight?
It would be very painful. For you.

But seriously, it burns them although the degree depends on their age and connection to Death magic. Neferata just prefers the night for example. Abhorash cured his weakness to light as well as his need for blood and all the other weaknesses by defeating a dragon in honorable combat and eating its heart.

>(Your character fluff)

I don't see anything wrong with it. Although she wouldn't be a thrall, so having it so the lord simply put his overly emotional foot down and said "My daughter will join us, anyone who feels otherwise may meet me outside with their sword drawn in ten minutes if they have the blood in their balls for it".

I forgot to mention, the von Carsteins create Vargheists and Varghuls as weapons of war. Like starving a dog, putting it in a cage and constantly poking it with a stick and screaming at it, making it fight weaker dogs for its food, then dragging its cage to a battlefield and (from a safe distance) setting it loose to rampage around and cause chaos in the enemy ranks. Except Vargh-things are a LOT more deadly.

Heh, I loved those as a kid. How do they hold up?
I remember really liking Protector Of The Small.

>Heh, I loved those as a kid. How do they hold up?
>I remember really liking Protector Of The Small.
Pretty good.

She went on to do a sort of fantasy-crime series where the female protagonist is fantasy city-level law enforcement.

Pretty good until the last couple books where she falls in love with some farmer asshole and ends everything instead of leaving it open ended.

I'm confused - I thought that the Elven gods and the gods of the Old World humans were distinct and separate, with the single exception of the Lady/Lileath.

To have Lileath just be an entity that is neither really an elven goddess or a human one at all just confuses me. I could understand one kind of god being mistaken for another - Orion for Taal, for instance, or even vice versa - but to have neither of them actually exist outside of a matter of perspective? Not that Taal or Orion don't exist, but they were never Taal or Orion, but some single thing that's neither.

The point being that the Lady isn't an elven goddess.

She exists outside of the elven race/worship.

Wrong.

There was always a Warhammer world before the "current" setting in an unending cycle.

Most of the gods of the next setting were survivors of the preceding one. Usually just all Elves, they take on the same names.

Isha is always the name of the mother goddess. Asuryan is always the good patriarch. Kurnous is always Isha's husband, Lileath is always the young one. Khaine is always the douche in the group. Ereth Khoal is any female who wants the D but gets cucked by Isha.

But Asuryan and Isha and the rest are basically titles, not the same being surviving every universe.

When gods reach a dead planet bathed in magic, they create animals including primates. Then the Old Ones show up, steal magic from Chaos to uplift some animals into Elves/Humans/Ogres/whatever, then fuck off.

The only reason Chaos wants to actually destroy the universe every time is their magic was stolen temporarily to uplift animals into mortals, so they get entitled and decide to fuck everyone because they have the sense of Dwarfs with Grudges.

Then it all goes to shit, a handful of mortals survive the destruction and become the next setting gods.

Age of Sigmar is what happens when you fuck the cycle sideways, but don't completely destroy it.

In theory, the survivor gods dwell in a Garden of Eden until they create mortals, causing the Old Ones to metaohorically commit original sin and doom everyone.

So the /aco/ Warhammer thread makes me realize that there is not much porn for Warhammer Fantasy. Its basically all Daemons, Skaven, Shia's Blood Bowl comic, and three images of High Elves being raped.

No Vampire Counts, no Dwarfs, no Ogres, no Tomb Kings, no Wood or Dark Elves, no Bretonnians, nothing. Not even Neferata and Khalida hatefucking.

Forgot link.

>There was always a Warhammer world before the "current" setting in an unending cycle.
When was that made canon?
Because the original post was from the 1990's.

End Times. Meaning its shit lore and should be ignored save that which justifies any ET models you own, but still worth a mention I guess.

As far as I'm concerned, The Lady is an Elf named Lileath who loves her humans and uses Elves as tools to protect them from the deprivations of Cytharai while paying lip service to Asuryan.

hey does anyone have a conversion for points to money for Warhammer fantasy role play 2nd edition to Warhammer fantasy battles 3rd edition

Doesn't look that bad. I would've added a few eagles for fast flanking.

It's a craze that I kind of miss. Not that I dislike female characters just being females (and hopefully good characters), but now it seems to be an almost outright avoided idea outside of the occasional young adult novel.

Either way, at least in WFB it would make a lot of sense for Bretonnians to end up keeping up their number of knights by unchivalrous means. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually adopted the occasional peasant with the excuse that it's a lost noble child because no one else could be so valorous and skilled, had some women dress up and join, split up lands just to place a new noble family in to increase numbers of noble children, or recruited mercenary warriors and told them to act as knightly as possible.

I like the idea that Bretonnia is constrained by its own knightly rules and has to bend and break them as creatively as possible, without letting the left hand know what the right is doing. Then again, I enjoy the idea of fantasy underhanded realpolitik.

But that takes away the entire point of the reveal that the Lady is not all she seems.

The entire 'reveal' was stupid and goes against how divinity works in Warhammer.

how so?

Thanks for taking the time to reply me.
I guess the Lady might just be a genius loci then, much like Sigmar is, but without the "once a mortal" part.

Or, she can be a minor goddess of lakes and rivers - a sprout of the earth mother, going with the interpretation that the earth mother IS the warhammer planet - who became a full goddess after getting a political sponsor (Gilles) and then a whole nation worshipping her.

You are given a blank cheque by GW to 'fix' your favourite army (assume 9th Age rules). You can use this money to create new units, tweak old ones, fiddle with the lore, anything you like, even create setting-wide stories to help your ideas come in. What would you do?

They're made real by the thoughts, dreams and feelings of mortal races. The 5th edition Bretonnia book mentioned that the Lady was worshiped in ancient times, so I can only assume that when they along with the other tribes that migrated south they worshiped her with the rest of the human pantheon. Even if the Lady was Lileath there would still have been a presence growing in the Realm of Chaos. At least with Khorne and Kharnath it's just a different name for the same entity, the only difference being cultural.

Red pill me on the 9th Age. What makes it better than the 8th edition?

Don't say red pill. Its a /pol/ term referencing a mediocre sci fi movie made by a pair of hot tranny messes.

All armies have real internal balance, and the core offending rules like Level 4 spell spam, Steadfast, and cannon sniping were nerfed.

Is there a 9th edition tier list

>All armies have real internal balance

How? Skavenslaves still seem like the go-to option for Skaven. I don't see how steadfast was nerfed.

Slaves are good, but not mandatory. Its more a case of "there are no bad options", like Tomb Kings Ushabti, mono-Tzeentch, or the Arachnarok Spider. You can make an army composed of any theme in your book, and it will be decently functional.
WAAC lists are far more in line with what everyone else will have, and fluffy lists aren't a handicap anymore.

Not yet, there's still a lot of debate as to who's top dog by small amounts, but its generally accepted that there is only mid and high tiers. No shit, low, or god tiers.

Compared to 8e, there's only one tier. Mid.

Naw, Plaguerats are the best now. You don't have to take Skrolk to make them core.

Answer my question about Steadfast konoyarotachi. Does disruption remove it now?

Having Steadfast now means you use the Leadership of the highest LD model in the Unit, and ignore penalties from Combat Resolution on the Break Test.

But you can reduce the LD of that model since they dropped "unmodified Leadership" through Magic, special abilitues, or just plain use Fear and Terror. A unit with Steadfast can still break unless they are disciined or have a leader shouting at them.
You also have a maximum unit size, so Steadfast doesn't last as long when throwing chaff out there.

You can use flanking to greatly weaken a Unit to a much better degree, so the second they lose Steadfast they WILL break because of much more punishing Combat Resolution from flanking. Steadfast only counts if their unit has more ranks than all the enemies they are in Close Combat with, so once you anvil their core chaff with your core chaff you can send two ranks of knights or beasts or whatever in their side to remove Steadfast. So two rank units of shit like Dire Wolves or Goblin Spider Riders are very useful now.

>Steadfast only counts if their unit has more ranks than all the enemies they are in Close Combat with, so once you anvil their core chaff with your core chaff you can send two ranks of knights or beasts or whatever in their side to remove Steadfast. So two rank units of shit like Dire Wolves or Goblin Spider Riders are very useful now.

Isn't it compared against each enemy unit separately, so if you have 4 ranks and each enemy unit has 3 or less, you still keep steadfast?

No. Its against all units in the same combat, meaning everyone in base contact.

It doesn't say that the rank bonii are added together.

It says if a unit has more ranks than "each of the units it is engaged in the same combat with", it has Steadfast.

Meaning if it has more than every enemy in base contact.

It says each, not each individual. That means you add all full ranks together for each side.

This means even in 2v2 matches, all that counts is how many enemies are involved. Note that if your three ranks gets attacked by three ranks and two ranks, then you charge four into one of the twos, you don't get Steadfast back.

I don't think you're reading it right.

Pretty sure I am. Its one of the biggest praised parts of 9th, the nerfing of Steadfast.

> Because all the OP armies in 8th used Steadfast
> #Elfgate

I read it as 'go through each enemy unit and if you have more ranks, you're Steadfast'. If the intent was to add all of them together I would have expected it to be phrased more clearly.
The nerf has already been accounted for in Disruption, where flanking with ranks auto-breaks it. That's plenty enough IMO, the whole point of Steadfast is that you end up with massive flanks and typically poor fighters.

I think this is actually a legitimate clarification issue we need addressed in an FAQ, it seems like both are plausible interpretations.

So it's the same mess as 40k, where all the gods aren't actually gods, but warp beings of incredible power sustained by emotions and worship?

I don't like that. I'd prefer the generic fantasy explanation that gods just kind of exist.

Let me start off by saying, you guys are awesome. I cant believe I got so many responses to my questions. Normally, in the AoS, people just tend to ignore them.

Anyways, going into a bit more Game play wise, I want to see if the army I have right now is viable:

2 Vampires on foot
2 Necromancers
1 Wight king on foot
1 Wight King mounted
1 Varghulf
5 Hex Wraiths
10 Black Knights
15 Grave Guard
70 Skeletons

Is this a big enough army for your Average 9th age game? Also, fluff wise, what do you think I should add? One of you recommended that I should take some ghouls, to represent the poorest of the poor who have turned to vampirism.

That's the old Moorcock knockoff fluff.

Here's the eras of Warhammer god lire.

1) Moorcock ripoff. Everything is Chaos. Chaos is Order and Destruction, there is an eternal cycle where Chaos will destroy itself at the end and all begins anew.
2) Moorcock ripoff, but only the evil parts. Only villain Chaos exists, good and Order are the opposite of Chaos and Chaos always wins but has no condition for losing.
3) Gods exist, but are barely stronger than a top tier wizard because Chaos drained them of their powers long ago and its currently 11:59 pm.
4) Chaos won, all is lost. The infinite cycle is broken. (End Times).
5) Gods are real but because they made themselves part of Chaos, mortals have become all that matters. They are the strongest destructive Chaos and the entirety of Order Chaos. (This is AoS). Villain Chaos still trumps Order Chaos, but the cycle is eternal and villain Chaos always causes Order Chaos to exist.

WFB is mostly interested in lore, our interest in games has dwindled so we no longer post lists and argue rules for the most part.

But Age is the reverse, people love to talk rules but hate to talk lore usually because they feel its so shitty and/or vague that real discussion is hard.

Both love to talk models, but AoS mostly talks about GW models and many times friwns on proxy discussion.

WFBG became TESG, AoSG became a(n unusually focused) /v/ discussion.

If you're gonna post a screenshot of a rule, do it right.

You're definitely reading it wrong. Note that "Any units that have more Full Ranks than each of the enemy units Engaged in the same Combat" is written in black text rather than blue, meaning that it is unchanged from 8th edition, and 8th edition says this:
>Steadfast
>Any unit on the losing side can use its unmodified Leadership for Break tests so long as its number of ranks is higher than that of any of the enemy units in the close combat - compare the unit's ranks to the enemy unit with the most ranks in the combat. If even one enemy unit has an equal or higher number of ranks, then the unit must test using its modified Ld.
>Note that this applies on a unit by unit basis - having one unit with a higher number of ranks does not make all of your units steadfast. Units that have more ranks than any of the enemy units are steadfast; units that do not, are not.

The nerfing of Steadfast is primarily because of the Disrupted rule directly below it, and also the previously mentioned leadership modifiers from Fear, magic etc.
If you actually outplay your opponent and get a flank/rear charge in with a decently sized unit, their 10 ranks of Skavenslaves will shit their ragged loincloths and run the fuck away.

/whfb/ gets shit done, bud
well, when the anons are not busy with anything anyhow

I think the average points cost for a 9th game is.. 2500 points i think?
The points costs and rules are on the 9th age website for free
Mind alsp that there are limits to how many points you can use in each category from your army's total points cost
i think its like
Lords max 25%
heroes might be max 35% im not sure
core has to be at least 25%
special is maybe max 35%?
rare is 25% max

I havent watched any 9th games but an answer that gets passed around is that you should feel free to try whatever you feel like since the armies are relatively balanced

The units have different names in 9th than they do in 8th or aos so you're gonna have to flip through the army rules quick
shouldnt be too hard though, and its pretty short

okay i fucked that up but hey at least i got some of the points limitations right

I think that explanation actually fits well with the setting and helps understand the gods, especially their relationship with Elves, given that High Elven civilization predates Chaos and the entering of the gods into the world.

But hey, everyone is the game master of his table.

So what you're telling is that it can't be Lileath - or another "elven born" deity - because since it's worshipped by humans, and basically only by humans, should take a more human-like identity, correct?
Do you think it being originally a part of Lileath, or even Isha, which changed with the human worship but somehow still subjected to her is too much of a stretch?

I guess I just don't like the idea of gods as a matter of perception when the universe makes it clear that they definitively exist, and have a definitive personalty, name, stuff like that. Why would the Lady let herself be known as such, or be known as Lileath?

I don't think they are a matter of perception, but rather they are a basic, and probably self-aware, concept that has its details shaped by a critical mass of emotions and sentiments coming from its prayers - this because they follow the laws of the warp exactly like the other gods.

So you have the concept who has a basic identity, like "mother earth", "god of death", "god of battle" (that btw are very widespread concepts in all real life civilizations), and then you have details like names, and the more complex facets of personality, be influenced by the worshippers.

This way you can have something like Isha and Kurnous, and on the other hand you can have Rhya and Taal. I guess Ranald/Loec can be one extreme example, since they come from two very different civilization, and thus are very different on the surface, but they both cover the trickster role.

>Why would the Lady let herself be known as such, or be known as Lileath?
Well, one explanation may be that "the Lady" is the Bretonnian name and Lileath is the elven name, but since they don't cover the same dominion, and it's pretty much a fact that the Grail Church is an Asrai scheme, I guess there is something more about that.

Go on...

> Splishy fishy Fishmen
> T9A Saurian Ancients, 2500pts

Skink High Priest- L3 Heavens, Black Cube
Skink Captain- BSB, Shield, Bronze Plate, Banner of Discipline
Skink Captain- Pteradon, Shield, Lance, Serpent Bow
Skink Captain- Rhamphodon, Light Lance, MP(5+), Hardened Shield, Egg of the Quetzl

Snakes- 2, Scout
Snakes- 2, Scout
Braves- 10, Shortbows, Skirmish
Braves- 30, Poison, FC
Braves- 30, Poison, FC

Hunters- 8, Chameleons
Hunters- 8, Chameleons
Caiman- 4
Skyriders- 3, Pteradons
Skyriders- 4, Rhamphodons, Shields
Skyriders- 4, Rhamphodons, Shields
Thyroscutus- Altar of the Snake God

Salamander- 1
Salamander- 1
Stygiosaur- Toxic Breath

2499/2500pts

High Priest and BSB sit with the shortbow Braves for a Ld9 bunker and -1 to hit. They hide behind the 2 bigger Braves and Thyro, who between them stack up to Poison 5/4+.
Hunters, Snakes and Pteradons ensure all war machines are dead by T2 meaning I can spend 2-3 turns kiting with javelins.
Rhamphodon and Caiman kill things. Egg-Captain flames people, Bow-Captain shoots bolts at them.

Concerned that 4 templates might be overkill compared to more Caiman, either a bigger unit or embedded into the Braves. Could probably drop the Pteradons as well and save towards a second Stygiosaur.

Comments welcome.

A lot of unique characters wield a magic one-handed weapon and nothing else. Why? They certainly can afford a shield and if you're going to get in close, you might as well take a shield for that little extra protection it gives you.

I really want to see tilea, estalia and the border princes in total war warhammer they be my fav factions but especially estalia, Warhammer Spaniards are awesome! Make my ancestors proud!
What races do you want to see in the game and what do you think they must have to feel like justice was made?

I would like to see both Wood Elves and the Beastmen. Humans and Vampires fight over the same territory, Dwarves and Greenskins fight over the same territory and Wood Elves and Beastmen fight over Elven territory. The Wood Elf goals will be to take over certain places, wipe out the Beastmen faction and push chaos forces back into the chaos wastes in a similar manner to Dwarves and The Empire. Beastmen have goals similar to Vampire and Greenskin goals. I also think the Beastmen should have a faction wide trait where you can decide where reinforcements are coming from to encourage keeping your forces in small groups to hit enemies from all sides.

I want to see Chaos Dorfs with a whole bunch of cool Daemonic war machines, including a Daemonic Steam Tank-like machine.

I also want to see Lizardmen and commit glorious rat genocide with Kroxigors and giant dinosaurs.

I also want to purge Beastmen like I purge Norscans: through liberal application of Greatswords, Demigryphs and Steam Tanks.

Strigoi.

Goal: Rebuild Mourkain.
Secondary goal: Destroy shit everywhere else while unifying the Strigany there.
Bonus Goal: Destroy other Vampires, all Witch Hunters, and as many Greenskins as possible.

Special units: Terrorgheists are easier to spam, Ghouls and Horrors errywhere, can turned captured non-Strigany populations into more Strigoi because any race works and you don't need to train them or worry about your numbers being too high to maintain. Strigoi get access to the Mourngul. Finally, the more Strigany you have the more human units you can field.

Weakness is they can't corrupt land and suffer attrition anytime they haven't fought in a while, but the longer since they've fought the better they fight as a Hunger buff stacks.

Hey, back again with some more fluff questions, mostly silly stuff this time:
What do the Skaven think of Undeath? As the selfish rats they are, wouldnt they love the idea of loyal, mass infantry and see Necromancy as a plus? And are Vampire Skaven possible?
Speaking of outlandish, what about the Lizardmen? Im guessing they hate Undead as much as any one, but dont they have those mummy frogs?
What are Ghosts and Werewolfs like in WHFB?
Just how sentient are Varghulfs? Could they recognize people from before they transformed? And what are Crypt Horrors/Flayers?
How big is Slyvania? And why is it so filled with Vampires and undeath?
What is life like under a Vampire ruler? Do you have to pay taxes in blood, give the dead over to your ruler for their use, etc?
Whats the relationship between spiders and Goblins? Infact, what makes Goblins such good animal tamers? They have Wolfs, Spiders, Squigs, etc.
Whats the difference between Night Goblins and Regular goblins? Or Gobblers and Snotlings?
I considered playing Goblins, but the lot I was going to buy got sniped from me, and I felt a little bitter about it.

What are the upper reaches of Dwarven Technology? They have crazy things like Guns, Gyrocopters, Tanks and stuff, but I also hear these are old designs, since Dwarves take forever to approve things.
What about Slayers? I know they take oaths, but do they ever get out of them, or are the honor bound to death?
Whats it like living in a Dwarven hold? How are they run? I know they have lords and kings, but are they more on the Empires side, or the Bretonnians?

Why do Darkelves enslave so many people? They aren't like the Dark Eldar, are they? Or do they just use them for sacrifices?

Are there any actual Norscan villages? I hear they actually trade with other nations when its not the raiding season.
Do Orcs just fight all the time? It seems like they kinda get pushed to the sideline by everyone else. What are they doing?

As for my my fluff, I think I'll change it to The Daughter returning secretly to the city. There, she frees her former Fiance and talks to her adopted father. He asks for her to stay with them, so as to protect her people, and so that she may be taught to control herself. He also adds that he did infact spare her life, when originally the Noble Lady wanted to kill her.

Now, im at a crossroad. She could flee, unable to cope with what has occured and leave the realm of her father with the intent of returning some day. On the other, she could submit, learn to properly control her vampiristic tendencies, but perhaps emerge more manipulated. She would however, be more powerful. Also, I guess the infilitrated Lady would be Lahamian in nature? Still trying to think of names for the characters... so far, all I know is that I like the name Ryzla for the Daughter

Strigoi seem like they've gotten the short end of the stick. A collapsed empire overrun with Orks, most of their remaining peoples are shunned gypsies, and their vampires are half-insane at best.

And that goes against the lore that preceded the End Times that The Lady was Ariel and the Wood Elves were using Bretonnia as a buffer state.

Post SKAVEN in PREPARATION for the GREAT WITHERING

Yeah. There was a glimmer of hope in their Black Library book, but then GW turned Ushoran into The Joker Carmen Sandiego for Age of Sigmar.

Which means that both or neither could be correct.

Because it looks cool
And there's an advantage in the way you wield your weapon without a shield, even if warhammer doesn't have rules to represent it.

REEEEEEEEEEEptilian hijack

REMOVE RAT REMOVE RAT

SKAVEN GENOCIDE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE

anybody?

Like what? I don't know much about swordfighting.

It frees your off-hand so that you may either grapple or wield your weapon two-handed.