Airship Veeky Forums

Are there any good airship tabletop games?
I just finished playing Skies of Arcadia and I really want something that satisfies that itch.

I was told Celestia by someone, but I can't tell if that's a real airship game or not.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1XJVuZVZ8rbkj4LlyM5dkBkP9itwLjs765vCxd3zy9yk/edit
mediafire.com/?yjmwetyqemj
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Please

Excellent game, aged really well too.

I have no experience with the system but rouge trader might work for you.

Years ago, there was a serious attempt at a Skies of Arcadia homebrew here on Veeky Forums; I had a major hand in its development, including the one playtest of the system. This was the result, or at least as far as it got.
docs.google.com/document/d/1XJVuZVZ8rbkj4LlyM5dkBkP9itwLjs765vCxd3zy9yk/edit

dumping airships because I also want an airship tabletop

>

best ship comin' through

I don't know about a system specifically about airships, but I reckon you might be able to homebrew a few rules for whatever system you need. It may be better that way, in fact, because you get the airships you want.

Or you could just take any system that has rules for sea travel and bullshit your way into the sky.

Now that I think about it, maybe GURPS has something useful, but I don't play that, so I can't guarantee it.

Interesting.

Celestia is one, but it's only got a single airship yo and your fellow players use.

Leviathans is another, but I think that game has basically died out.

GURPS has GURPS spaceships, which is fairly easy to adapt to ships not in space.

The system uses simple modules you glue onto your ship. Of course these modules tend to assume tl 9 and upwards, so for fantasy settings they probably need some homebrewing.

I assume OP is asking for board games or minis? Obviously any RPG you could add in airships.

Yeah board games

I'm not sure how much you can salvage out of it.

Well, I wasn't really looking for games that require a DM. More tabletop board game stuff.

But it's definitely cool.

Celestia isn't really an airship game. It's got a single cardboard airship that you move from location to location, but that's it. Leviathans is much more an airship game, but overall, airship style tabletop games are slim pickings. Most air combat is.

Very cool. It's missing nods to deeper lore, though, like the rumored lost Black Moon and what magic from that area might entail.

The Black Moon was considered but ultimately left ambiguous. It's not exactly public knowledge.

I mean, it isn't, but there's specific areas of the game that could have used some more development. Overall I like it, but it's missing something.

Like what?

I dunno. Ecology, world bosses, taming animals, robotic attachments, some other stuff.

We were trying to get a baseline system, I suppose, before we start getting into extra stuff. I would love to explore more of the setting of Skies of Arcadia.

How do you like your airships, Veeky Forums?

Mine could just be adequately represented with Wooden Ships and Iron Men

I like all airships.

Check out Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies

I think he clarified he doesn't want RPGs

Then TOO BAD

Airship Pirates. Once you get over the fact that it is based on a steampunk band's songs, it's pretty good.

if it makes you feel any better, I'm interested in RPG's

checking out seven skies now

you have a proper pdf lying around?

the one on the site is just some fluff

nevermind, found it

mediafire.com/?yjmwetyqemj

for anyone else interested

Hmm, looks interesting.

hmmmmm

I don't really see the need for an entire game system to be based around airships. I absolutely love airships, and the kinds of stories you can have with them, but you don't need a whole game system for that.

Airships are there to help cultivate a sense of freedom and fantastical exploration that's inherently different from travelling on foot. Airships are the vehicles you and your companions use to discover the world and get you to your goal, whether it's to get treasure in some giant castle in the sky, or rescue one of your party members from being forcibly married to a villain.

All of that is mostly in story and scene presentation. The only mechanics you need specifically for airships can be taken from other systems with vehicle mechanics.

tl;dr

Use some other system's vehicle rules, focus on a nice story centered around a cool airship, and play in a system that's decent.

Oh shit I played that game. It's super fun, but yeah it's just a board game.

How do you justify airships in a fantasy setting? Some sort of ultra-light magical wood?

I don't know if there are standards or different common types or what.

Well, I want an airship. Guess I need to be some kind of corporate overlord to buy one huh?

depends on the setting, obviously

or you can steal one

>How do you justify airships in a fantasy setting?