Who is the biggest hack in the tabletop industry?

Who is the biggest hack in the tabletop industry?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpley_Games
shutupandsitdown.com/test/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Adam Koebel and Sage LaTorra

They took a rules system they barely understood and tried to make a "D&D but better" game out of it. The result the D&D elements fucking up the game because D&D sucks, and Reddit and Veeky Forums sucking it's dick more than the original game (which was FAR better) because it panders to high fantasy, which is the only fucking genre that 90% of the autists who RP want to play in. Their hack game becomes famous as the best indie RPG ever made. Meanwhile said original game becomes famous for having sex rules in it, no one even realizes the Firefly influences or listens to the guy, and these hack nu male faggots make more money than the person whose mechanics they ripped off.

Protip: if you make a good RPG, copyright the FUCK out of that shit. That way some two-bit kikes don't come along and steal your best idea and turn it into utter tripe.

Ach dungeon world isn't *terrible* but it isn't good by any means. It's decent as a babby's first RPG if you don't want to go full Lasers and Feelings.

That said, when you're only the second best High Fantasy, DnD-esque PbtA game you know there's something wrong

It is terrible, though, user. It tacks on D&D stats which have no function, it starts you out with more hit points than the main boss in the game, then the dev writes an essay stating the obvious to try to justify a fucking dragon having 16 hp, even though he admits a 1st level party fucking ass-devestated it and he just didn't say that it only had 6 hp left when they ran away.

No shit an encounter can be challenging if you abuse DM fiat and declare the character loses an arm from a dragon bite.

DW is only well-loved because it uses something "familiar" (D&D stats) and is a lot easier to play than D&D. Outside of that sphere of 3.5 strawmanning, it is worthless as a system.

People also act like PbtA is the fucking second coming of god, and shit like Fail Forward should be a core doctrine of all roleplaying while ignoring the shitton of pitfalls that come with it, as well as misrepresenting fail forward with more basic, less controversial GM advice, so that you strawman "not failing forward" as "sitting there with a shit-eating grin on your face and saying no to the PCs over and over"

I think arguments can be made for Kevin Siembieda or John Wick.

John Wick.

His games suck ass and he has drank his own kool-aid.

John Wick is shit and has always been shit, but luckily he also hasn't DONE shit in a while.

Jason Hardy is STILL around being a shithead who helped cover up embezzlement.

I disagree with some of your criticism, but I feel like it's more a matter of taste man.

Regarding Pb&J I feel like the main reason that DW falls flat is cause it's character-interaction systems are anemic, which suggests that the authors didn't really *get* Apocalypse World. I mean AW is all about gritty HBO drama-shit, which by the look of it, it does well.

And yeah, I hate calling things buzzwords to mean that they're stupid, but "fail forward" really gets my goat. Like I generally hold that if one roll can fuck up the entire game then that's on the DM, either for allowing such a massive bottleneck or for not at least having an idea of what to do should the players fail.
Even if it means that the BBEG wins theres no reason you can't just change gears to a Firefly-esque "Old heroes from the first war eke out an existence under the shadow of the Evil Empire" game, to give one example of how that could work

Matt Ward.

Matt Ward is a hack, sure. But is he the BIGGEST hack?
I feel as if he's not even the hackiest hack who has worked for GW in recent memory.

Leigh Alexander, if you consider card games 'tabletop', she literally fucks anything that will give her influence.

Vincent Baker is an unsung hero man.

I mean FFS, check out the wikipedia page of his publishing company.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumpley_Games

Examples?

>John Wick is shit and has always been shit, but luckily he also hasn't DONE shit in a while.

You miss that he got 7th Sea back a few months ago and did a kickstarter?

I did...

Fuck.
Welp, I guess he'll be ruining the setting again.

This. John Wick is absolute cancer. His "play dirty" book boils down to "use the players' backstory against them to create good stories and really hit the players where it hurts but don't be a kill-GM retard"

Nah you're right about them not getting AW, everything you say is right, it just doesn't contradict what I said. A D&D-style AW hack is possible but Dungeon World turns two decent systems into a pile of crap by just slapping together parts without understanding how they work. Sure it still plays but it plays badly.

Came to prominence fucking Quintin Smith (of SU&SD, personally not a fan of him either but at least he puts effort in). Anyway, this article is 'isn't it weird learning new games guys?' with a load of flowery language. shutupandsitdown.com/test/

Last I heard she was banging a VP or some such at FFG and lo and behold her novella which I've heard is full of tumblr level shit has been published.

And that's not touching her prior claim to fame which will not be discussed on this board (google her if you really want to know that hurricane-of-piss)

gee dubya's writers

John Wick for learning enough yoga to suck his own dick when his games and advice are actually legit bad, Kevin Siembieda for being totally insane in regards to marketing/copyright and the robotech thing, Loren L. Coleman for embezzling enough money to basically kill entire ranges and drastically lower quality of several games, Matt Ward for fluffover9000bloathammer, Gavin Thorpe for being the last and shitiest of the old guard gw lore and writers, whoever the hell is in charge of Spartan Game's line development ADD. I'm sure there are more, but those stand out the most. There's probably an enormous list of kickstarters that just took the money and ran or halfassed it. MtG developers is tricky because its pretty shit anyway. Ivory Tower game design Monte Cook is probably in there somewhere too.

Monte Cook
3rd Edition
Ptolus
Monte cook's WOD
Numenera
Dungeon a day.com
a bunch of shitty novels.

There are worse people, but the fact that he is so overhyped puts him in a kind of superhack sweetspot.

I mean, sure there are worse people out there.
But are there people out there who has been involved in this much awful shit who are still even close to this hyped?

I think not.

Let's not forget the CoC d20 adaptation. John Tynes did a great job distancing the Mythos from Derleth bullshit and wrote some of the best horror GM advice I've ever seen in that book and it got buried by Monte Cook's shitty system that was never meant to handle the type of game it was written for.

I do kind of like Cypher System though.

I have a lot of problems with it, and it isnt as universal as he thinks it is. But for the most part I think it's okay.

But yeah, I hate damn near everything else he does. Including the setting and fluff of his two Cypher games.

I feel like someone has to bring up Wil Wheaton, just because he's such a dick.

Of course, his actual hackitude is limited slightly by not actually being a game designer and just being in the general media-sphere surrounding gaming.

I think the problem is that Monte Cook just never got out of the fucking D&D mindset of "Kill shit, get loot to kill more shit" and it just infects everything he does. Which wouldn't be such a problem if he, and people who hire him, didn't insist on him writing other shit.

Definitely Siembieda. Wick is a dick but Siembieda just takes the cake in sheer retardation.

Probably a battle axe? Or maybe a halberd.

Can't get much hackier than that.

Don't forget Felicia Day

I actually hate wil wheaton more because of it. These other guys are hacks, but at least they are producing shit. Other than "lol im king of the nerds, bow to me shitheads... oh and fuckugly day is your queen"

On top of that the video where he calls out all men to be more accepting of a female lead role in star wars ep7 and rogue one made me rage so hard

He literally made an argument again something that nobody ever made.

Just the self righteous attitude overall would make it increibly easy to ignore the guy if i ever met him irl.

wrong hack user!

I'm pretty sure Netrunner has best hackers!

the guy really is one of the worst internet white knights out there

Sure she's awful, but at least she only infests video games with stupid fucking cameos, and then leaves them alone.
That's literally the extent of her.

That's not being a hack.

I think the time he tried to use a girl's suicide to end internet anonymity was worse.
Or that time he argued that tax payers needed to build celebrities a special terminal in an airport so he wouldn't have to mingle with commoners.

But, agian, that's not hacky, that's just being shitty.

Why not split the difference and say Shadowrun?

You know I work with the guy and Felicia Day. He's generally pretty nice but can get a bit shitty if he loses control of a situation. Felicia is the shyest person I've ever met. Constant deer in headlights.

Holy shit is she fat

fuckugly day has made forays into nerdy boardgames. it will only be a matter of time

I want to play a game with these guys.

Purely to REPEATEDLY veto their actions because it's "not realistic", and if they say someone else got to do it, I'd dock XP for "Arguing".

Because I'm a dick.

I dont think felicia is a terrible person, but i just hate her self appointed queen of the nerds aspect she has taken and how so many have fallen in love with her. i just dont get it

Definitely not. Sure he made Grey Knights into the hated fuckboys they are today, and hoisted the Smurfs into a stupid holiest-of-all Marines, but the game was damn well balanced, or at least better than the shit we have now.

People need to stop pretending he makes good crunch.
Because he didn't.

Leaving aside the fact that the Daemons he wrote were completely retardedly broken, there's also the fact that the shit he wrote for 40k is only balanced in light of the OTHER SHIT HE WROTE FOR 40k.

on one hand i agree, on the other i really would like to cum inside of felicia day

This. Ward only likes a handful of armies and if you don't play Ward Knights/Wards of Chaos fuck you.

You'd cum inside anyone, though.

>Shyest people I've ever met

>Has a podcast called Vaginal fantasy, tweets about the status of her pubes, has several websites dedicated to herself, literally lives on attention.

I agree with the cumming part. At least with Felicia Day it doesn't seem like an act, the whole 'awkward girl' thing genuinely feels like her personality.

I dont think ward should be on this list. Sure the guy had no business writing codeces, but what makes someone a hack to me is a proclamation of superiority and infanted public ego. The guy was pretty silent through it all. The only evidence of the man existing we have is a mugshot in some of the white dwarfs.

All other hacks make themselves into these celebrities deserving of their perceived fame.

I hate how social media has made that sort of narcissim not only common but socially accepted as well.

Adam Koebel and Sage LaTorra are hacks who made a terrible hack

Dungeon world's only good quality is it's core mechanic which was straight lifted from apoc world, EVERYTHING exclusive to dungeon world is trash

I mean, he's not even the worst writer who's worked for GW.

His stories are ridiculous, but at least they are well written. I find myself entertained.

>At least they are well written.

I mean that's just not true.

You may be entertained, but you cannot assign them a value of "Well written".

Swear to god, she has issues communicating in person but is very open over the internet.

Chris A Field.
Makes shitty 3.pf games over subjects that are "totally not Magical Realms, I swear guys!" Chooses fuck ugly art aspects for his long winded explanations for his settings, and strawmans out the ass.

Checks out, lots of people with social anxiety and shit overcompensate/feel more open on the internet.

Both are pompous ass-hats. John Wick's 'Play Dirty' guide to DM'ing is probably the BIGGEST 'self-fellating' piece of ego stroking dog-shit I've read in ages. It's quite literally 'That GM' the guide by John Wick.

* Bonus - Derek Smart showed up in all his usual delusional glory in a PC game forum and someone commented "Oh look! The Ego has landed!"

>EVERYTHING exclusive to dungeon world is trash

So... nothing? it has NO original mechanics

I mean, have we forgotten where we are?

I cast my vote for John Wick.

He literally, actually crashes people's games to tell them they're having badwrongfun, you can't top that.

Surprised no one has mentioned "how do I balance a game? Let's see how hard I find picking this mouse up is!" KSR who used to work at paizo.

Your mom is more open on the internet.

every single thing bolted onto the apoc world chassis.

Jesus fuck I can't think of a worse setting to use apoc world rules for than high fantasy adventure.

Already mentioned.

SKR? Yeah he's a fucking cunt. I really hope they make Pathfinder 2.0 without him and without dumbass feat chains.

>Jesus fuck I can't think of a worse setting to use apoc world rules for than high fantasy adventure.

Superheroes?

I dunno.

Already done

Check out Masks RPG

This triggers me slightly because as much as I think Koebel is an SJW fuck, I quite like him as a Streamer and GM

Dungeon World is...meh

Still can't belie this though, changing a rule because he physically couldn't do it himself.

YOU SHOULDN'T BASE THE NORM OF A SYSTEM ON YOUR OWN CAPABILITIES, BECAUSE NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY AS A FUCKING LOSER.

she was around long before she hooked up with Quinns

>And that's not touching her prior claim to fame which will not be discussed on this board (google her if you really want to know that hurricane-of-piss)
Talk about it

Paizo. They're like WotC but less creative.

Shitty tech journalist being a shitty tech journalist.

It very easily gets into GG territory which will mean the thread will get super derailed super quick. (Because someone has to tell everyone how terrible GG is to show people on an anonymous image board how cool he is for disliking them silly nerds, and some faggot is going to pick up the bait and off we go)

Paizo is a company, not a person, a non-person can't be a hack.

Guys...
What happens when he realises he can't cast spells?

>Paizo is a company, not a person, a non-person can't be a hack.
A company can be a hack company if it's made up of hacks beings hacks.

>What happens when he realises he can't cast spells?
Ever been to /X/?

He probably thinks he can.

I have the privilege of not knowing many hacks.
I consider it a blessing.

This.

It's one thing to publish articles and books trying to espouse your shitty GMing style as good GMing when most everyone thinks of your style as the epitome of "That GM," it's one thing to tailor your games to punish people who would want to play them in a way or with characters you don't want them to, but actually going to cons and crashing people's larps set in one of your settings just to walk around and bitch how everyone is playing wrong? You've ascended into a new level of asshattery.

Another vote for Wick, for being the only game designer that honestly crashes games to tell people they're having badwrongfun.

kek, I miss all the hackposting when GF was still on the air

The un-enlarged picture makes him look like he's smirking and I hate it.

or anything.

smugjizzedonface.jpg

Fuck you and your realism, you dog faced douchewaffle.

That being said, you bring up cogent points.

wut?

I think it would work pretty well for superheros
What its shit for is anything very combat heavy with character advancement that breaks it's low numerical granularity and doesn't play nice with GM fiat.

Which is exactly high fantasy dungeon crawling.

What the fuck did they make?

Also Gary Gygax is up there.

Every single deranged moron working for Paizo.

>Pathfinder 2.0
Is that even a thing? It seems like it sort of defeats the purpose of pathfinder extending 3.5's lifespan

Pathfinder's purpose was to exploit the divide caused by WotC's toxic marketing campaign which greatly fueled the early edition wars. They only care about what makes them money.

That could (should?) be pretty good though. Superheroes stories are basically high octane interpersonal drama, which is basically the boilerplate for AW.

He's referring to OP-picture. The man on it is Alex Hirsch, creator of cartoon Gravity Falls (GF) that was popular on /co/

However many fans on /co/ were unhappy with direction the cartoon took later on giving rise to "Hirsch is a hack" posts.

They're all hacks: the creativity is in video and board games.

Fuck /co/. That guy has made the same standard of cartoon since he got on CN. No one cared about him until he started putting epic may mays into his shows.

Veeky Forums is just as bad as the rest of the internet.

>creative
>video games

Pick one, you shit.

Sean K. Reynolds was hired by Wizards recently actually. As someone in charge of keeping the Forgotten Realms lore organized for their writers iirc, not in any rules development capacity.

>one of the guys directly responsible for LotR:SBG
>hack
kill yourself

Whoops. Revealed my power level there. Let me rephrase:

Everything is shit. It wasn't always, but it always will be.

I guess he works for Monte Cook Games now, too, or maybe is no longer working for Wizards since his position was contract-based. Just did some research to make sure I didn't have my foot entirely in my mouth on that.

Wick won't kill your character. He'll just kill and abuse any and all support characters and dependents you wrote into your PC's back story.

>Veeky Forums is as bad as the rest of the Internet.

Get out faggot; we are always right, our shit smells like roses and we never get triggered over other people having opinions we don't.

I bet you like skub too, you degenerate cuck.

>Monte Cook
Eh. some of his stuff is okay, others are not.

I quite liked Ptolus, as far as published settings and dungeon crawl adventures go. What was your problem with it?

I understand people not liking Monte Cook's influence on where 3.x went, and that's fair enough (though they may have still tried to make it the CCG edition without him, you never know).

His WoD was crap.

I hear Numenera has an interesting setting, and passable mechanics, and there's supposedly a better designed revision to numenera. Haven't played it though.

Dungeon a day had a decent adventure path (Dragon's Delve) that I've played through the first half of. My GM seemed to quite enjoy it.

He's always smirking. Dude's an arrogant fuck. Sucks 'cause I fucking loved 7th Sea.

>They only care about what makes them money.
Which is mostly adventures, including selling digital copies of old adventures.

I expect if/when they do make a Pathfinder 2e, it will be very similar to Pathfinder 1e, and largely backwards compatible, rather than a completely different game like WotC likes to do.

They may forego/forestall the whole new edition idea and instead just put out an updated corebook, like Catalyst did for Shadowrun 4.

Fucking Chris A. Field is the goddamn worst.