EMN Spoilers

Judging from the spoilers, it looks like Lifegain is going to be a strategy in draft. What are the chances this will move from completely unplayable to remotely playable?

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/finding-delirium-2016-03-25
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In virtually every case, doing damage to creatures or players or countering spells is a better use of mana than healing. Pic related: another card that is strategically a trap choice.

Guaranteed.

>lone rider
>it that rides as one
This feels like it is a pun in another language that couldn't be translated.

I think they're just going for the weird eldrazi naming conventions.

It That Betrays comes to mind.

That creature type doesn't make sense. All of the other transformations start out with "horror" then trade it away for "eldrazi".

It's concentrated on the unmutated human, not the mutant horse

So just getting back into magic, what does exiling a spell do?

I know it doesnt counter it but whats the benefits of this cards effect? Looking to play standard with u/w spirits

chittering host and hanweir both don't start off as horrors

Exile = "remove from the game"

Do spells include everything that isn't a land? I thought that was permanent.

Anything that isn't a land usually has to pass through the stack in order to enter the battlefield. When you tap your 6 forests to play a Craw Wurm, first you are casting your Craw Wurm spell which goes on the stack and, assuming it resolves after each player passes priority, it enters the battlefield. Same with artifacts, enchantments and planeswalkers.

Spells are cards on the stack.

Does exiling it counter its effects?

So the flash ability is specifically there to hit cards on the stack?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

If the card no longer exists in the game it does not resolve.

Yes. Technically no, it just doesn't resolve, but you make it not happen.

Yep! You got it. I promise that's going to be one of the most asked questions in this set.

Yes, you're taking it off the stack so it doesn't have a chance to resolve. Spell Queller's last ability allows that spell's controller to put the spell back on the stack when it leaves the battlefield.

Yes, otherwise it wouldn't be able to function at all because normally you can't cast non-instant cards when it isn't your turn, the stack is empty during your main phases and you don't have priority. I am painfully aware that the vast majority of players have no idea what the stack is or how priority works or anything like that but asking questions is the first step toward learning so don't worry about sounding dumb

So, Delirium is just a shitty version of Threshold, right?

If by shitty you mean easier to enable, sure

This is always the first card that comes to my mind whenever I think of Threshold.

You mean a retooled threshold. Threshold itself is shitty and was massively unsuccessful.

This
With Delirium, you need at least two cards, three in standard, in your graveyard for it to kick in. Threshold was literally made because "muh card disadvantage"

>threshold
>unsuccessful
>shitty

>delirium
>good

Jesus Christ I want the newfags to go and stay go.

Okay, explain how Threshold is better than Delirium

They're similar in nature, though Delirium requires special attention be paid in deckbuilding but is potentially faster.

why

Delirium is dependent on the type of cards, while Threshold is aggregate total. While delirium is proportionately cheaper, threshold is always easier to get without tutoring things into your graveyard, outside of standard. In standard, delirium isn't bad, particularly in limited, because of Artifact Creatures and the like, but threshold is universally better if it's an apples to apples comparison.

Threshold is easier to achieve for RUG Delver, because that deck is literally designed to get to threshold quickly, but other than that Delirium is usually a fair bit easier. Both impose significant deckbuilding constraints and are mildly annoying to keep track of.

Threshold was among the most negatively rated mechanics and is generally infeasible for anything except a deck that builds entirely around it. Delirium is feasible without it simply because artifact creatures, enchantment creatures, and artifact lands exist.
Getting 7 things into your own graveyard is an annoyance to begin with.
And most Threshold bonuses are shitty as well. Delirium has actually had excellent returns.

Fair enough, I'm thinking from an edh perspective. While some threshold things are neat, I distinctly remember a couple of games during the release where I had many things in the graveyard, but most of them were of the same type. I also love my golgari/dimir mill decks, so maybe I'm a little biased.

Nimble mongoose tho?

It's exceptional.

>let's just run it through babelfish and slap it on the other side

Nimble Mongoose is already good, it just gets better.

When are full spoilers?

monday, its always the last week before pre-release.

Power of the Moon

Enchantment

Whenever an opponent casts a spell, sacrifice Power of the Moon and counter that spell

They're really pushing Bant CoCo

>I'm thinking from an edh perspective

So, we should discard your opinion?

>One mana
>To then have to never pay Equip costs
>Trap
I'm sorry, fucking what? That card is fucking crazy.

It works perfectly fine.
As says, it's just like It That Betrays. Although It That Betrays is really the only one that has that kind of name, which is a shame. It's the best kind of name.

The closest to a pun is that it goes from a "Lone Rider", a person who is all alone save for their horse, to "It That Rides as One", someone who IS their horse.

Even in EDH, Delerium is better than Threshold. In any format, four things in the yard is easier than seven things in the yard. Yes, in Delirium, you could have seven things in the yard and still not trigger it, but you're still looking at an overall less difficult ability to activate. Yes, it requires deck building considerations, but that's not at all a negative thing.

Yeah? And what are you going to do if it doesn't show up in your hand? What did you replace that would've influenced the board state directly? Did you add a bunch of otherwise useless equipment cards that you won't use without it?

The only thing that makes equipment work is Stoneforge Mystic, and it's so good they had to ban it for eternity.

There's plenty of good equipment that doesn't need Stoneforge. Not only does this give your Equipment *AND* Auras flash, it's also Puresteel Paladin's effect off the stick, with the added upside of not requiring Metalcraft.
I'm not saying it's going to revolutionize the game and be a 4-of in every Modern deck, but it's far from a "trap" card.

> (You)
>
>It works perfectly fine.
>As says, it's just like It That Betrays. Although It That Betrays is really the only one that has that kind of name, which is a shame. It's the best kind of name.
I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with it, I like the parallelism. I was just making a funny.

The only way you can get 2 card delirium activation is with an artifact creature and a tribal instant/sorcery though, unless I'm missing something.

It's far more likely you'll need at least 3 unique cards in your graveyard to trigger, and often even more than that

While that's true, Delirium is still a far easier threshold than... well, Threshold.

Oh, definitely. It also rewards decks that use a variety of card types, which I like from a flavor and strategy perspective.

Unfortunately, the delirium cards themselves don't seem near powerful enough to warrant jumping through hoops to reliably trigger them and warrant maindecking multiple.

There's too many cards like reaper of flight moonsilver that are just bad value even WITH their delirium trigger active and straight up garbage without

Maybe they haven't spoiled the good ones yet.
Maybe we're getting a mini-Goyf.

Iunno, there seem to be quite a few. None are amazing, but there are plenty that aren't terrible.
Though it's definitely more of a Limited thing.

just how mini do you want it?

They couldn't have made this UU?

Fuckin' Wizards.

I was thinking a bear with delirium for +4/+4.

>It works perfectly fine.
It That Works Perfectly Fine

So like this?

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/finding-delirium-2016-03-25

>We also decided not to make any cards that gained toughness from delirium.

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

Best they can do is a bear with delirium for +2/+2.

At least it has trample, I guess?

'there was a time'. The angel only JUST got out of the hellvault and they were 100% on protection before that.

That's like saying 'There was a time when I saw the sun dawn on 2016'.

user, they are never making another tarmogoyf.

They should not make another goyf.

Universally, creatures on the top 10 list of magic creatures border on being mistakes, and goyf crosses that line. Goyf is fucking bullshit.

4/4 for 2 is plenty.

POWERCREEP
R
O
W
E
S
S

>its a white eldrazi

Top deck manipulation is relevant doe.

Is there any reference to drugs in MtG? Do any of the inhabitants of the multiverse smoke weed or something similar? Any lore experts here?

The Vedalken and Neurok on Mirrodin used a serum to make them smarter

>it's so good they had to ban it for eternity
Only in shitty formats.

So just a ripofff Dune

I'm pretty sure he means "only gained Toughness".

The last year or so has been Spanish Inquisition Mode.

>Oh look, it's another "only formats I care about matter" post

I'm not saying it doesn't matter, just that it's a shitty format.

Full spoilers in an hour?

Get hype for 80+ worthless cards.

>The reason behind this was twofold: the first was that it meant that you couldn't accidentally kill your creature, but it also helped to justify the large number of double-faced cards in the set. "Threshold, get a power and toughness bonus and a keyword" is very close to "trigger, flip me, and on my backside I am larger and have a keyword." By leaving stat bonuses off of the DFCs in Shadows over Innistrad, we (hopefully) went a long way toward ensuring that the delirium cards don't just feel like failed DFCs and instead feel like their own thing.

I'm gonna call that.

That said, Grim Flayer is neat but there's absolutely zero justification for it being mythic. IT'S A PUTRID LEECH WITH ON COMBAT SCRY 3. Does mythic just mean "look how pushed this is?" The only thing holding this back from being a strong uncommon or rare is that it's a 2 drop. If this was three mana there'd be no way it's a mythic. Therefore, the demarcation between mythic and uncommon is "did we cost this at 1 less mana" and that's stupid. The point of mythics is to do something complex or powerful that would fuck with limited at lower rarities. This doesn't. Vorthos salt aside, this is good because if Grim Flayer becomes a standard staple I'll have a better time in draft.

It actually might be too much in limited. It is pretty easy to get it to a 4/4 trampler, with the spell bomb, artifact creatures, enchantment vessels.

Mythic means whatever you want it to mean, user.

Flavor-wise, you can go and say Grim Flayer is mythic because, despite the fact he's just a human, he survived living innawoods with all those horrors by being so fucked up they won't mess with him.

you sure?

Flavor-wise the cards you pull are a representation of what you saw in your visit to innistrad, witnessing a deranged manic's hidden murder burial and memento keeping would be a rare sight.

Would it be a mythic sight if he had a name and legendary creature written on it?

there already is one

Depends on why he's legendary, but possibly yeah.

he cuts liliana's hands off

Spoiler's up.

link?

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon

Neat

I like this.
>turn 1 Kessig Prowler
>turn 2 attack, after blockers declared this to get a 4/4 with trample

Nice

Yes, but socery speed is a factor

Does anyone think it would be flavourful to have had a mechanic where Delirium was related to different creature types? Sort of a "we're all in this together, but also we're all dying" thing.

>Sigardian Priesthood forming
Yiss
>Flight of Nightmares forming of deranged angels
Yisss

There's also instant speed Concentrate (if you have Delirium).

Super nice.

Finaly a card as gay as Veeky Forums

was sign in blood too powerful?

>Does anyone think it would be flavourful to have had a mechanic where Delirium was related to different creature types? Sort of a "we're all in this together, but also we're all dying" thing.
Well. Close enough.

It's an instant, sign in blood is a sorcery.

Wanna build gay vampire deck now.

You'd have to deal with the timeless question: is futa gay?

No, but it's not heteronormative, so that's close enough.

Not gay enough, that's for sure.

What is that feeling ? Did I find a card-waifu ?

>When you sacrifice this while playing a spell with emerge
You couldn't just give us an eldrazi for sacrificing it? I'm not even asking for a dies trigger here, wtf wotc?

Don't answer my gay questions for me, faggot.

that doesn't warrant the extra generic mana cost