/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General: Kobolds Again! Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Old Thread
What DMs Guild shit do you hope is featured in next week's spotlight UA?

And what do you hope for the *real* UA next month?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw
mega.nz/#F!TUJwTZgY!XaKAS9xK0QDkYuGualBs_w
youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2dI_B_Ycg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Another non-prestige playtest class would be nice. I doubt the Mystic's the only thing they've got in the works.

The correct answer is always new Feats.
Barring that, some new Ritual spells above 3rd level.

After the last Feats UA, I want WotC to leave it the fuck alone until they get their heads out their asses. Other than Gourmand, I hated all the feats. So fuck 'em.

If we're going along that lines, then I'd like to see: More fuckin' weapons. Maybe exotic weapons as a type.

They could always take another crack at making a Ranger class that isn't a mess.
But they'd have to figure out what they'd actually want a Ranger to be good for to do that.

I have to agree, the Weapon Feats were the last sort of Feat the game needed.
The tool expertise Feats had promise, they should have focused on that.

>hates the weapon feats
>wants exotic weapons with special abilities

So basically you want the crummy weapon feats built into the weapons instead.

How do you guys build up consecutive encounters?
Progression of difficulty? Do you give your PCs ample time to prepare for the next one?

I personally do a; Medium to hard encounter with a few units, give time to prepare, and then smaller units into singular hard to deadly unit.
I mainly use trash mobs to lessen resources, so that a single strong monster isn't destroyed with just a couple disables.

More mundane equipment options in general would be nice.

I don't have a particular progression formula, but I have to say that generally it gets tougher as it goes, with a Boss monster with some sort of interesting environmental mechanic or ability. I usually give them at least a halfway point short rest opportunity.

I've never heard a single complaint about the Lance. There's only minor discontent about the Net. They both work fine, why not another dozen weapons in the same vein? Hell, I've seen plenty of people ask about PCs getting repeating crossbows and the hooked spears from OotA. It's not just me that likes this shit. The weapon feats were sloppy and poorly thought out, so of course they're shit. They don't even follow the design philosophy of the original weapon feats from the PHB.

More adventuring gear? Sure, I'm down for that. More things along the same vein as Acid Vials and Alchemist Fires would be cool too.

Like?
Like?

I feel they've covered the bases, and anything else is pretty easy to homebrew.
I just don't see the lack in either category, unless this is all about Katanas being their own special snowflake weapon again.

>I've never heard a single complaint about the Lance
That's because it's a mounted weapon primarily, and people do not play 99.9% of the game mounted. It's adequate for a part of the game people give no fucks about.

I like the weapon feats. Do you hate them because of the +1 to attack? But that is literally nothing in 5e. If you took away 1 attack from a player, they wouldn't even notice.

5e is my first edition, so I dunno how they handled the katana in earlier editions, but yeah, I'd be down with the katana. But not just the katana. There's plenty of weapons from plenty of cultures that'd be pretty badass.

You could use the Lance like a makeshift Greataxe unmounted, can't you? It's just another Heavy, Two-Handed weapon unmounted, no? If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I dislike them because they're wildly off-base compared to the PHB weapon feats. There's literally nothing in common with Polearm Mastery, Great Weapon Fighting, Sharpshooter or Crossbow Expert, all of which are amazing feats. The weapon feats from UA offer situational bonuses with +1's tacked on. It's sloppy, it's UGLY and it's not what anyone should ever be thinking of, ever.

Lads I'm rather new to DMing wondering if you could give me advice. One of my players wants a healing item so if he's separated from the cleric he will be able to heal himself. He's level 10, got any idea of what sort of item I should give him?

Potions of healing.

He wanted something that wouldn't run out so he doesn't have to pop to the shops every day, should I just tell him no?

Healer's Kit with Healer feat.

Healing is not supposed to be easy to come by.

Potions of
>Greater
Healing

Regular healing pots aren't even a bandaid for a LVL 10 PC
>Down to half of my 40 HP
> 1d4+1

Ok cheers

>t's just another Heavy, Two-Handed weapon unmounted, no?
It's a Greataxe with reach that you have disadvantage with attacking opponents adjacent to you. Disadvantage being a horrible penalty, no one uses it dismounted.

It's a powerful weapon under the specific situation of being mounted, which almost never happens in fights.

How would you go about putting the Phantom Chasm illusion spell in 5e?

Just general rule, no scooby doo mystery solving. Which means, don't split up. The cleric is the healslut so stay by them. If you feel the need, as a DM, to separate the group, then it should be weighed so that they can handle their side just fine.

Tell him you won't force him into a situation where his character is separated from the cleric.

Is Spear Master fine without the +1 to hit?

I didn't think being dismounted was so rare, but now that you mention it, I've not seen many people use it. There's certain beastmaster builds that use it, and there's Find Steed, but even my own Paladin rarely used the steed (because it kept fucking DYING to FIREBALLS).

No, I take it back. I remember one guy had a giant lizard mount that he used to great success. But he had the lizard take its own actions on his own turn, which, if I'm reading the mounted rules correctly, isn't how it's supposed to go. I'd have though Dwarves would be more inclined to use mounts, given their limited movement, but this is news to me.

Yes.

So how do you guys handle dungeon crawling as a DM?
Do you give them a map, or draw it out as it goes, or use minis, or make them draw it, or something different?

Tell him that we don't always get what we want in life and that he should stop being such a fucking child.

Yeah, I don't force them to split up but sometimes they split themselves up and I occasionally do solo sessions.

>In a town that is regularly raided by drow
>We get a contract with the mayor to go out and kill some drow raiding parties
>Party sleeping and doing some shopping
>I go to the local brothel
>Ask if they have any drow girls
>They have none
>Ask how much they would be willing to pay for drow slaves
>They decline saying slavery is wrong and they only want willing employees
>Leave
>Talk to the Mayor about payement for Drow slaves
>he also says slavery is wrong

I don't understand, they are fucking drow. there is nothing morally wrong with enslaving them, it would allow the town to pay them back for all the families the drow enslaved and killed.
Not only that my DM said I am now Evil, I was just trying to make some extra cash! Taking as drow into slavery is a neutral action at worst.

Also when taking drow ears as trophies to I cut off the left or right one?

You should start openly rolling a d6 whenever he asks something like that. When he then asks what the roll is for you simply tell him that's the damage his character took for asking retarded questions.

After half an hour he would be bleeding out but sure I'll tell him to grow a pair.

Sup elegan/tg/entlemen, EN5IDERanon/FrogGodAnon here again.

I just bought Quest of Doom 3 and Rogues of Rembrello, and checked on En5ider again. I've updated my mega accordingly.

Reposting for anyone who missed it before, or wants the new files:
En5ider: mega.nz/#F!rAoGFBBJ!7oaBSiTtMQl5uDnevTEzHw
Frog God: mega.nz/#F!TUJwTZgY!XaKAS9xK0QDkYuGualBs_w

Lack of good tiles but good improv leads me to just make it up as we go. Except we had a tile upside down and I was going to use it as a trap, but I didn't see what it was underneath.
Next thing we know the PC walks into a table and gets cursed.

Subtle, but you could do better.

Personally, I think your DM has too much social justice in him. Nothing you can really do about that.

That's the thing. As a new DM, try to keep them together. Less to manage and can halt derailing. To each his own though.

The drow that did Evil in the past are not these drow.
Slavery is an Evil thing, regardless of the victim's race. Doing it for money doesn't lessen this.

If your party splits, run encounters as you had planned. If you planned for the whole party to face something and just one schmuck shows up, then kill him. When you split the party, you die. That's how it goes.

But the drow I was planning to capture were literally the ones who are the raiding party planning to village.

Its simple justice, I don't see how its any worse than killing them.

Yeah, splitting in dungeons isn't the same as splitting in town to do shit.
If they split up in a dungeon, don't be afraid to put the boots to them.

It depends on the nature of the slavery. Would the Drow be made to repent through their actions as slaves?

>Gygax didn't like it so no one else can

I didn't know Gygax was this retarded.

If the law of the land doesn't have Slavery set as a punishment for certain crimes, then you are just profiteering in a way that is unacceptable to the society you are in.

Just like you can't "enslave" someone who stole your car in real life.

Describe what's going on. If they want to draw a map, that's on them.

It was just nice to find that the man himself thought that they were fucking retarded and had no place in fantasy settings (for PCs).

Not just in a dungeon. If you have a huge farm and you have an encounter on each side of the farm and the party decides to split, kill them. Or, at least, kill some of them.

And yes, I say this because I split the party. I thought it was just a goat giving birth, I didn't think it'd be a fight.

Repost from last thread-

Anyone here played with the When Armies Clash/wargaming rules? Does it mesh well into the actual game, or does it work better as a wargame by itself? What kind of adjustments have you made?

Is the farm just an above ground dungeon? Who's to say, we are not just in a large dungeon and the sky is an illusion?

I use pathfinder and homemade pawns, and hand drawn or piazo maps beneath clear plexi.
This is for 5e mind you, and it's money and time intensive. But I go that extra mile.

Thank you user :)

youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2dI_B_Ycg

I don't mix tabletop wargaming with RPGs.
It's too much hassle for too little of payoff.

Two questions for you all:
1. How do you handle tool checks? Would I roll a d20, add a relevant stat modifier and proficiency (if applicable)?
2. Is there a good way to handle crafting, namely poisons?

Yeah, they are going to recover a treasure key from a merchant ship that stuck on some jagged rocks near a whirlpool.
There are giant crabs on the deck, and an intelligent Huge Octopus in the hold that has created a bunch of traps and obstacles in the mid deck (baited to trap the crabs), and will attack through holes in the floor with swords.
Among the treasure chests he'll have one with potions he'll drink to reover HP lost from the "tentacle encounter" and fight them normally as a huge pawn in the final fight.
It's a Nehwon campaign, I felt obligated to use a sword-wielding octopus at some point.

Pic related to party and Octo Pawn. (well far right is an NPC).

That's how you handle tool checks
Non harvested poisons I would treat as using the magical item creation rules in the DMG for time and costs.

> 1. How do you handle tool checks? Would I roll a d20, add a relevant stat modifier and proficiency (if applicable)?
Yep.

> 2. Is there a good way to handle crafting, namely poisons?
Use appropriate tool check. Spend money on raw materials. Waste material on shit rolls. Try not to waste everybody's time with a PC trying to have an in-character say job because crafting is boring af in every system ever.

Honestly it's oftimes just simpler (and certainly cheaper) to just harvest poison from poisonous monters. The game has rules for this.

Agreed, but that would be harvesting, not crafting.

On the other hand, as long as you have enough of what you're trying to make already costed out, and the party is in a situation where you have spare time, and you can just make the appropriate rolls for the GM, make some poisons. It's a good gold-sink.

There's always the process of isolating and purifying the poison.

As long as you don't make it a lengthy distraction for the DM, knock yourself out.

They don't handle monster venom that you harvest in the field that way.

So, here's a nice way of doing it. Basically figure out price. Say they want poison worth 50gp. They need the mats, so 80%(?) cost worth of materials. You, as the DM, can have this be an item called "Materials" or have them go get branches from the dope poison bush. Then, have their d20 roll be how much gold worth of effort they were able to complete. Worded that weirdly, say the roll 1d20+4 and get 10. That's 10gp out of the 40gp they need to make a 50gp poison. Tell them it takes, 10 minutes to do just that (crafting should take a minute, especially on the fly). So with his next rolls he can have it done in two turns of a shit gob more turns. Take 20 and he can have it done definitely but longer, take 10 if he's proficient with making poisons so he gets 10+modifiers every single time.

That's how I roll crafting.

Well, that's because the PHB feats handle obvious bonuses. What other feats could they include that wouldn't just be doing the same shit with a different weapon/situation? Obviously any new feats they come out with are going to be even more situational or include mechanics not already considered...they did all the obvious shit already.

I think mechanics like getting something out of both advantage strikes landing or your dropped disadvantage strike landing is actually clever and has a place somewhere in the game. Why not there?

I also think flail mastery works, but should probably include whips, and target not only shields but cover as well since they work in essentially the same principle. Drop the +1 to attack if you don't like it, it's honestly nothing.

If they added another -5 attack +10 damage feat, that'd be lame as fuck. It's bad enough there's two. And bad enough there's one.

As was said earlier in the thread, the spear mastery feat is almost fine, barring the +1 bullshit. So it's clear they haven't completely forgotten what the fuck they're doing, but every other weapon feat was completely off base. Additional effects against shields? How fuckin' situational can you get?

That's only slightly more situational than half the feats in the PHB, I hope you realize. Just because you're a munchkin who uses Polearm Mastery + Sentinel, doesn't mean all of the other feats are just as good.

Critique my setting:

>magic is very controlled. Each district has a licensing authority controlled by the local majority party.
>every person who uses magic is required to get a license every year, otherwise their use of magic is unsanctioned, and can result in police actions.
>police actions range from raids for arrests, to straight up assassinations of the more dangerous targets.
>local political party has tons of authority, usually denies licenses to people not willing to play ball with them.

Who is enforcing all this? And how? And why?

This, desu.

Half the feats in the PHB aren't weapons feats. It's disingenuous to compare something like Crossbow Expert to something like Observant.

Sentinel is overrated, by the way.

For a barbarian, is it worth it to multiclass out to Bard 2-3 or should I just give him an entertainer background if I want him to be a glory seeking mexican wrestler type?

If Sentinel isn't the most effective feat in your game, your Fighter is just an idiot.
>Free reaction attack the first time anyone swings at the Cleric or Rogue.
It's almost "gain another attack" the Feat.

Is there any way to play as a skeletal as 5e?

I hate Multiclassing, and with the Backgrounds (and even a third possible skill as a human) there is almost no reason to fuck with it.

Eh you're right, there's no point in fidgeting with class stuff just for meaningless fluff, that's what backgrounds are for! And so Oso Mundo was born

Take Performance, Acrobatics, Intimidation, Athletics with your background/class, throw in whatever skill as a human, and you're good.
Take Eagle totem to leap and swoop down on your foes.
Why Bard?

Excuse me? Your plan for the feat is to skip your first round of action, and perhaps many more, so you can stand next to your backliner and protect them like a lapdog instead of getting into the thick of things and taking care of whatever you're facing? And your DM isn't going to be throwing AOE your way because you stupidly decided to bunch up? That's what you consider to be the plus side of the feat? Is that how people use this thing? Are you fuckin' serious? Is everyone retarded?

Barbarian multiclasses are always bad. The best Barbarian is a solo class barbarian, and I love multiclassing. Barbs just can't do it.

You're a faggot.

Will there be a supplement for playing characters that go beyond 20th level?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am just getting into 5e..

No, there won't be, because 5e is for casual players who do not make it to 20th level.

Veeky Forums is under the (false) assumption that campaigns do not make it to level 20. This is based off of their casual gaming and their autistic relationships with their group that cause most of the campaigns to fall apart before level 8.

Veeky Forums considers a long campaign to be one that lasts a year IRL and gets you to level 8 or so. That should show you the kind of dedication they have to gaming, and why they have no objection to the lack of epic level rules for 5e.

Characters who gain experience beyond 20th start gaining epic boons or some such every chunk of XP

Playing the same game weekly for over 2 years is pretty much the epitome of autism mi familio, people have lives.

How do they fight a powerful magic user? Are there magic users in the ranks? How do you get a license? How do you keep track of if its a real license or just a fake one made with magic.

Whats a good point for a fighter to multiclass? Looking to maybe pickup Rogue for the Expertise among other things

I DM for a Champion with good Dex and Str.
He usually goes first in the party (the high dex rogue usually defers to going second), and sticks in, hits someone with shield bash as a bonus to prone them first, then stabs for advantage for better crit chances. The cleric is a martial type and usually is either adacent to him in a fight against lots of minions, or stuck in against the Big Bad. If the big Bad attacks him (even if he's on the other side of it, he gets a free attack.

Yes. Google reddit unearthed arcana playable undead. There's a pdf with ghost, revenant, and skeleton subraces.

Gygax also wanted D&D to be sword and sandals/planet low-magic fantasy, but everyone plays it as LotR with magic cranked up from 2 to 13. So if he's going to be wilfully ignored there, might as well keep on trucking with rad psionics.

So people in bowling leagues or softball leagues are also autists?
Maybe you just lack people who can stand to be around you for the long haul.

>Gygax also wanted D&D to be sword and sandals/planet low-magic fantasy,
The Nehwon campaign I've been running for a year now is exactly that.

Fighters don't have much reason to do so, but many classes have reason to MC into Fighter.

Coincidentally, despite my inexperience, I have also DMed for a Champion with high Str and Dex. Quite a beast he was. Nevertheless, when you've got players sticking together, AOE should be what the foes go for. If you've not got a caster or two in your encounters for your players, or at least a monster that can do AOE abilities, then you're not really setting up a challenge for them. Having them chop down trees is not fun for them nor should it be for you.

FUCK skellingotns

Anyone do one on one campaigns before? How were they?

Bowling leagues and softball are seasonal, those people don't play every single weekend, which you would need to to reach level 20 in less than 2 years.

That's specifically one of the influences he pointed out when he said this is what D&D is gonna be, so good on you.

I'd love to run a Barsoom game, but I'm known among my friends for having an irrational hateboner against casters, so they might see that as me being a sneaky little shit. Then again, they all favor mundane classes anyhow.

Honestly, your average room usually makes it hard for people to get that distance without everyone jamming into a corner, and the party has a number of team-coordination maneuvers to offset the risk of being bunched up.
As it's only 5th level, and lower magic Nehwon, they've fought more foes with Pack Tactics or other clever stuff than Fireballs and Dragons, so this strategy has worked well for them so far. When they start running afoul of Quarmallian Wizards and Warlocks, or Simorgyans, they may have to change it up a bit. But for now the Champion is getting great use out of Sentinel.

I don't think you can legitimately reach lvl 20 in two years playing weekly, unless every game is a slash/hack festival.