/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/57akvf7tx0ooizc/Prosperitas_Dossier_11.pdf
discord.gg/AAJTY
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

One of the PC's died, now he's rerolling a cryptek. On a scale of 1 to HELP, how worried should we all be?

>One of the PC's died, now he's rerolling a cryptek. On a scale of 1 to HELP, how worried should we all be?
whatswrongwithyourGM.jpg

I know Veeky Forums has made homebrew sectors before, but how many were in the Ultima Segmentum (the right side of the galaxy)? I know Tiji and Vasenica were, but were there any more?

Do bolt weapons with the metal storm rounds make each hit count as 2 hits or 3 hits against hordes?

There was the Cocytyus Sector (which a few anons made but never really expanded on) and the Aprior Sector (shit. We do not talk about Aprior).

4. initial, blast (2), explosive. storm of iron brings that to 8

Four hits.

One hit base, one hit for being explosive, and two hits for Blast (2). Four total.

Metal Storm rounds in a heavy bolter invalidate hordes as a mechanic, especially when you add Storm of Iron.

Since we're talking about Deathwatch stuff, when taking and upgrading the signature wargear talents, should I take a relic (assuming it is appropriate for the character) or just upgrade normal items?

depends on the relic, some are great, others are garbage.

the single best relic is the Redemption of St. Sulech, as it is basically the pre-errata heavy bolter, and when combined with a suspensor and/or vengeance rounds is pretty much matchless in its ability to fuck anything up.

If there's a relic that lets you do your job better, always select a relic. If there isn't, use it to get gear that will branch you out. A storm bolter is always a safe and effective choice, as are defense fields like combat shields.

Are there any relics that look good on paper but don't actually preform as well as hoped?

Most of the relics do have a point and purpose, if only in certain contrived situations.

Except the Corroded Falchion. There is literally no reason for that thing to exist.

So random question here regarding deathwatch.
The game says you can use the servo-arm to attack as reaction. But the game doesn't actually say WHEN you can actually do that.
the only examples it gives are parrying and dodging.
Does that mean that to attack with the servo arm I would have to wait for someone to actually hurt me in close combat to attack with it?

You spend your reaction during your turn to hit someone in the face with it.

Is that written anywhere though? I'm just curious because I've heard people say that, but I've never actually seen any rules justification for it acting that way.

Technically, you cannot spend a reaction on your turn. You can only ever spend it on an opponent's turn. This is why things like Counter Attack are so good - since the counter happens on the opponent's turn, the opponent cannot parry it.

Therefore, is in the technical correct. You can only use the servo arm as a reaction to an enemy already attacking you. Someone attacks, you reaction to use the servo arm, and basically hope your punch kills the target before its attack resolves.

Another question, as far as I can tell bionic locomotion replaces both legs, but does it still count as one cybernetic or 2?

I'm just trying to figure out if I have another Cybernetic to work with here while I'm working on my character or not.
Just curious what most people think, I'd ask my GM but he take days to get back to me, and I'd rather hear what other people say about it before I bother him

Bionic Locomotion depends on how many legs you replace. It's meant for limb loss and replacement limbs.

I'm still at character creation senpai. So I'm asking, just plain crunch, my character is a black void, does bionic locomotion count as 1 or 2 cybernetics. My brain tells me it's 2 but the rules seem to imply it's one as it says it replaces a characters "legs" and not their "leg" Where as the arms are very clear to only apply to one.
Like, why would only one leg give you jumping bonuses and sprint when you still have a normal leg dragging it down?

It's made even more confusing because it says "legs, etc" implying it could be something other than the legs themselves.

I'm just trying to determine if my character has 3 or 4 cybernetics at this point.

It's a murky area. While the description describes both legs replaced for one bionic (The bionic implies you can change for robo-legs, tank treads, wooden planks, etc), the cost in Requisition Points for a single Locomotion system is equal to the cost for a single arm replacement, implying it's for a single leg. No errata or FAQ seems to cover this. You will need to ask your GM on his interpretation. The conservative answer would be "You need two locomotions, one for each leg."

Also, it is possible to favor one leg, gaining the bonus from one and merely using the other for support.

So I took the Entries from every single 40k rpg
All but DW seem to heavily imply that it is a single cybernetic with all the games that game after DW being very clear in saying "Bionic LEGS"
So just, with all this here together what do you think.
Cause even though it might not seem right it looks like rules as intended is that it is a single cybernetic.

Like, to be clear the way I see this is that in DH and RT the implication is that almost everything from the waist down has been replaced. DW gets a bit vague, and everything every very clearly states that the legs are replaced.

From a RAW perspective, yes. It is one cybernetic. You can use the example of Skitarii Dunestrider legs as a basis.

From a RAI perspective, and how I run it, I think it's on a perspective. where you need one leg replaced, while the other is fine. The text is just meant to explain that there are slightly more reinforcements required to properly get a bionic leg working. This is ESPECIALLY since if you only replace one leg and need to know where the extra TB is placed.

It is a question your GM must answer.

Just a quick question. I am going to be req some stuff and I was wondering if you could get an arm mounted shotgun with the chainblade attachment for deathwatch.

No, only pistol or auxiliary grenade launcher.

But it says upgrades: Las, Solid Projectile, bolt, or melta pistol, or Auxiliary Grenade Launcher in the core rule-book. Is there an update somewhere which limits it to just pitol and launchers?

its right there in your quoted text
>Las, Solid projectile, bolt or melta PISTOL. OR aux grenade launcher
caps not for sarcasm, but for emphasis. the period defines the end of the clause, and the restrictions. FFG has at least a slightly better track record than GW for using correct grammar when writing rules cases.

>Cocytyus Sector (which a few anons made but never really expanded on)
I'm legit surprised anyone remembers me talking about Cocytus. I keep meaning to compile that shit into a decent-looking PDF and post it here, but I have no idea how that works. Does anyone here have any hints for how to create a DH or RT-style background for a PDF?

What are the dos and don'ts of Deathwatch?

What are some good non-Mechanicus ideas for Black Crusade Hereteks?

Q'Sal.

Don't let the horde shoot you before you've whittled down their numbers. Even shitboy cultists can mulch a marine if they land a hit and have sufficient magnitude. There's no dodging or parrying their attacks either, so be particularly careful about diving into melee with them. If your GM is lenient they may let you roll dodge against a horde attack while in cover, but don't count on it.

Ok ... but that wouldn't even make an elevator pitch.

>Apothecary's Create Toxins rule in Deathwatch core says "the Kill-Team's attacks in the next combat all have the Toxic quality"
>all

Does this mean that RAW lets me have a toxic lascannon?

As the only real thing of note in the errata for that ability is it not affecting things with the Undying or Machine trait, yes.

Or plasma gun, yes. I mean if the faggy bdsm elves can make poison lasers, why can't the SPEHS MUHREENS?

>First session in the campaign
>Ordo Malleus veteran with a melee build burns fate point to survive in the first round of combat without inflicting a single point of damage
>Non combat int-per character, frenzied by daemon sorcery, charges head on into the horde of cultists led by a bloodletter, flailing a torn leg chair and screaming incoherently
>breezes through the encounter without suffering a single wound
Such is the nature of war

How does a lascannon give you attacks in a combat?

Do it faget. Nobody cares if it looks like a FFG book or if it was pasted into word. Just having it out is enough for a critique.

MEGA guy here

I added a little file in the root for newer players, some simple rules they should keep in mind if they want to survive.

Pulling the trigger helps.

Has anyone actually used the Social Combat rules in Tome of Excess? Are they any good?

I'm currently making a little background document for my homebrew sector, and I just slapped a parchment background onto each page.

They are awful. It is roll to mind control.

Nice.

So what are peoples experience with Dark Persuits.
I'm a little concerned about the survival of the group. I'm GMing a four-man group with one minor (but succesfull) job behind them.
The group contains:
a ministorum warrior
a mechanicus sage
A Administratum chirugeon
and an outcast assassin.
They have about 1800 XP each.

DW is not TT. Attacks is not an assault action.

My homebrew sector, Acheron, which is a neighbouring sector to Cocytus mentioned here and part of the same stellar region "The Five Rivers". And also the setting of the Heavy Metal Chivalry campaign.

I have a timeline for the sector in a word document I could convert to PDF if anyone wants to read, though I've got nothing more than scattered notes on planets and such. Because unlike Cocytus-user I don't have the discipline (or autism) to write all that shit down coherently.

If we're discussing autism and sector building, I'll post a link below to my sector I've been labouring on.

I've all-but finished an entry for every world (two or three to go I think), and then I'm adding an extra chapter for GM secrets and shit in the setting I don't want my players reading (but everyone else can). I also intend to add a few NPCs for one of my speshul Xeno races that aren't Kaiju and don't fight Imperial Knights in the eastern sub-sector. No siree

>mediafire.com/download/57akvf7tx0ooizc/Prosperitas_Dossier_11.pdf

It's funny how, ever since the knights were released, everybody's custom sector rushes to put in knights first, often before you have worlds ready.

>everybody's custom sector rushes to put in knights first
I literally didn't think to put a Knight World into mine until I was making a character for 's game and realized I wanted him to be an exile from Cocytus. IE, some 3 or so years after Cocytus started to take actual form in my head. I think you're confirmation-biased, friend.

I actually created the sector and the majority of its politics and factions before I considered writing about the Knights. Mostly because I wrote its outlines before the remake of the Knights was released.

That said, Imperial Knights are fucking cool and Knight Houses are influential so they do feature a lot in the Dune-esque politics of Acheron.

Cocytus=SAVAGES

CARNAEVS GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

So what's the point of a degrees of success system if you have a 50% chance to fail half the time?

40kRPG's do their d100 rolling terribly from what I see. I mean you have a Very Easy test which gives +30. Your average PC has a stat of 31. You got a 39% chance of failing something described as Very Easy. And there's no take 10 equivalent as far as I can see.

CoC seems to handle their d100 system a lot more sanely.

>There's no dodging or parrying their attacks either

Slight caveat - There are certain (very rare and specific) Talents that allow you to Parry or Dodge Horde attacks.
The one I'm sure about is Tyrannic War Strategum: Bulwark, but that's limited to the Ultras Tyrannic War Veterans. If there are others I'm sure they're similarly rare

Of the snowflake knight houses (defined as knights that buck the standard of Northern European Knightly Culture) that exist, which is worse - the not!VampireCounts and not!Celts of the Coronid Deeps, the inbred not!GameofThrones houses of Cocytus, the not!Muslim and not!Hindu houses of Tiji, or perhaps some other house?

What is the most snowflakey knight house you have seen in homebrew or even canon?

>the inbred not!GameofThrones houses of Cocytus,
House. Singular. And the Caernevs are basically Romanians or Serbs packed full of gin and stuck on a forest planet that's in nigh-constant winter. About the only Game of Thrones thing about them is the seasons of their planet being ludicrous. So I'm not sure what would make them snowflakey.

Don't forget that there are other modifiers as well. The positive and negative modifiers cap at ±60, and there can be multiple modifiers.
Taking your example, a PC with Agility 31 may wish to sneak his way past a guard say. The GM's decided that the test is very easy because the Guard's asleep, and the PC's trying to not wake him up. The PC can have +10 or +20 in the Stealth skill, and possibly other modifiers because of background noise or whatever.
All of a sudden that 61 he needed is now 81 or 91.

Crappy example I know but I've been at work all day. The point is that the difficulty modifier isn't mutually exclusive from other modifiers from skills, talents, and circumstances

Yeah I would agree with you if half the tests in the CRB weren't at +0, and that it was possible to start with a skill at a reasonable level. Look at Dark Heresy starting characters, you're barely functioning retards and half will drown in water. Same with Rogue Trader characters, the RT doesn't get Swim till level 6 or 7.

They honestly need to give you like 5ish skills to pick and choose from for free at start so you're not mildly functioning retards.

True enough, I'll admit to that. It's why me and my players prefer the advancement system for OW and BC, you at least get to choose some starting skills.

Swim at least is a basic skill, so you can do it without any exp spend. Okay you'll drown the second something other than basic swimming happens, but still.

Snowflakey means "Anything someone doesn't like" nowadays, user.

So, I compiled the timeline of Acheron into a pdf. Be gentle Veeky Forums, it's still wip and I've yet to add proper descriptions of the factions and their holdings and famous planets. So a lot if does kinda lack context. Especially the Solar Knights, who I suspect a lot of fa/tg/uys will shit themselves in nerd rage over.
>H-here I go!

Hey I remember you, your shit is cool. Didn't we have a discussion about Knights once?

Regarding the Ghoul Lords resurrecting the dead, the term is Revenant Alchemistry. While terrible and prohibited, it was used by everyone for a bit, to make expendable dudes.

Never seen that term before. From the Horus Heresy era I take it?

Yes. The term is applied to Tech Thrall Adsecularis, a step between servitor and living soldier. While normally just a random dude augmented and mindshattered (NOT lobotomized), the need for more mans caused the resurrection of the dead with Revenant Alchemistry. The Techpriest Auxiliae who monitored these adsecularis were called Lacyraemarta, and could boost their unfeelingness to even greater levels.

Just curious, but would anyone be interested in a 40k/40krpg general discord?
Just might be interesting to have to actually build a community here or something?

What the fuck is a discord

A greater daemon of Tzeentch voiced by John DeLancie.

discord.gg/AAJTY

I went ahead and made one, it's basically a teamspeak and shit, just a place to shit post and actually talk to people without shitting up the thread with random conversation

Oh yeah, now that you say it I remember reading that. Yeah, the Ghoul Lords did far worse shit then that. Like giving Frankenstein access to warp-tech kind of worse shit. And also, you could technically argue that many Servitors are essentially cyber-zombies.

Tech thralls are lower ranked than even servitors.

Sounds like you're going full Xana II, with the undead stuff going down there.

>Tech thralls are lower ranked than even servitors.
Yes I know, even if the difference between them doesn't seem to be all that huge.

>Sounds like you're going full Xana II, with the undead stuff going down there.
Wrote it before they got elaborated on in HH vol 6. But I got way more a 'daemons stuffed in iron shells' kind of Dark Mechanicum vibe from Xana II rather than frankensteinian undead mecha-horrors.

I understand. It's just a parallel I drew. And yes, Xana II was more automated / daemon systems.

The frankensteinian undead mecha-horrors were the loyalists, used against the traitors.

>The frankensteinian undead mecha-horrors were the loyalists, used against the traitors.

PRAISE THE OMNISSIAH!

Just how strong are astartes magboots on their power armor?

Strong enough that an Astartes in full power armor can theoretically walk on a metal ceiling, assuming it can support a ton and a half of Spess Marine.

What about active magboots on the top of a rhino or other vehicle based on the rhino?

Played Only War today with some friends.
Really fun, one guy played as a psyker but we never got to assigning his 400xp to any abilities so he kinda just stabbed and shot guys like any other shmuck.
Also the 3 of them were able to kill 13 orks fairly easily.
I think that was my fault though, this is the first game i've had a screen, and been able to fudge some numbers. I think I need to do less of that.

Any way to make regular orks deadlier / harder to kill without just "oh you missed again and they hit you".

Other than that, the game was great, good old fashioned ork killin fun.
All the bonuses were pretty easy to use and the rolling system was simple too. Only got confusing a few times.

>of a rhino
of a moving rhino I mean.

Get them in melee.

Ah, yeah, probably should do that.
Every time I got them in melee my players were seriously injured.
I'll play more towards melee then.

I also only threw 3 or 4 orks at a time at them.
Should I be upping their numbers aswell?

Yes.

Sounds good, thanks!

Also remember that they can have different loadouts as well like burnas or shootas.

Ah, yeah, I saw that. Pretty sure I just all made em one class. The one with a gun and a choppa.

This is admittedly a dumb question.
You're essentially asking if it's possible to ride on top of a moving vehicle.

>but the Rhino is faster
but the magboots are restraints, and it is entirely possible to ride on top of a fast vehicle with restraints. That would be the regular crew in pic related, along with the infantry.

IIRC, restraints of any kind merge the two attached objects and the forces that act on them are combined. So the drag experienced by the marine is countered out by the forward force of the Rhino driving. This is high school physics. Come on user.

Combat encounters can be a little too difficult

Black Crusade;

Are there any official limits on a heretek's "any two good craftsmanship cybernetics"?

Do human common lores stack with archetype common lores?

Probably retarded question, but does the initial 'hit' with a frag grenade count for total hits on a horde? For instance, would a blast 4 frag grenade inflict 5 hits or 6 hits?

So, going to start up an Only War game, starting with No Surrender.

I've played a shitload of Dark Heresy 1e, and dabbled in Rogue Trader and Black Crusade. I have not, however, played Only War.

I'm mostly asking if there's anything I should be aware of in the system, and about any bullshit in the character creation I should be wary of. I'm going to give the system another read through to make sure I'm up on differences, but it seems different enough, especially with all the new mechanics, that I worry someone might try some bullshit I won't spot.

A few oddities like Ogryn not getting Low-Tech weapon proficiency and some other weirdness.

The system is closest to Black Crusade's in the running, though the chargen is relatively new (aspects of it carried over to DH 2e). Enforce a rock hard limit on how many people are allowed to start as Support Specialists rather than Guardsman Specialists.

Regiment creation is fun as hell once you have it down, and it's not that complicated.

Yea, I'm super looking forward to my players creating a regiment.

I'm looking at 6 players, should I just put 2 max support? I figured I'd need to cap it.

>fudging dice in OW
Absolutely disgusting.

Well I've never done it before so I figured I'd try it while we're doing a new system.
It made it too easy actually, I probably won't be so lenient next time we play.

I'm pretty new to this game and I'd rather not force my players to roll for stats. Whats the usual point buy pool for only war?

>Well I've never done it before
Good. Keep not doing it, it's a horrible habit and it's even worse in systems like OW. There is a specific mechanic in that system dedicated to preserving the PCs and giving them bonuses, so maybe use that.

Ehhhhh, I've heard it's good to do occasionally, especially if the party has been having awful luck.

But which systems preserve the PCs?
Success and failure levels?