Have you ever played a character who had no stake in what was going on and no reason not to simply leave the party and...

Have you ever played a character who had no stake in what was going on and no reason not to simply leave the party and campaign?

I've played plenty of mercenaries, yes.

My current group is playing a Shadowrun game in which we're attempting to rig an election so that Donuld Drump can become president of the UCAS under the platform of "Making America Whole Again."

He's been paying them in Drump Bucks ('s what we call it, or Monopoly Money when we're pissed). They have no choice but to accept these terms due to an...incident that may have resulted in many obvious civilian and Knight Errant Casualties, and whose media coverage Drump currently controls (including proof that it was them that caused it).

I joined late. I don't know how much more of this Monopoly Money shit I can take before my character puts a rifle round through his eye from a click out, though.

Yes. He was a pirate-y fellow who loved making profits, and sticking with the party was a huge net loss day by day.
He was edging ever closer to abandoning the group when he died. (Not a deliberate maneuver on my or the GM's part [as far as I could tell], he just got overwhelmed.)

On the opposite side of this, how do I get PCs more involved in eachother's affairs so they have reason to be together?

Yes. He left after realizing that due to the party getting steadily weirder over time. It's probably a pretty common thing with mercenary type characters though
I'm guessing it's more like Bison Bucks, but I'd have gone with paying them in Drumpcoin myself

Generally you have to give them all a premise before the game starts, or tell them to make characters who already know eachother prior to the events of the game.

I find making the characters all part of the same organization prior to the game tends to work well. Whether that organization is a monster-hunting guild, magic school, gang of theives, ect. Having all the players be part of the same organization instantly gives them all a vested interest in the organization's goals as well at their own.
I also find it makes coming up with plot hooks really easy. Got a gang of thieves and con-artists? Play some GTA, add swords and magic, BOOMPLOTHOOKS! Got a group of students at a magic school, watch some slice of life anime, give it a Harry Potter coat of paint, BOOMPLOTHOOKS!

You can lead a horse to water, user, but you can't make them work with other horses in a cohesive party and defeat the BBEG.

That being said, if you can get just one of your players to involve themselves in another PC's affairs, it'll hopefully cause a chain reaction of PC problems overlapping.

Technically. My monk was supposed to have this whole story of assassins to beat up carry over to the other villains the party was fighting, but we kept moving away from the mountains and onto other things so they just never showed up. So my monk had no personal stake in anything the party was doing other than helping his new friends solve their own problems.

>premise before the game starts
My games tend to be far to the sandboxy side of things though, and my players enjoy full creative control of their backs though. Plothooks that work for some don't seem to affect the rest. I think I may have to set up a super simplistic destroy-all-things immediate-threat big bad at this rate.

This. As a GM you have to be like:

>OK Players, this game is going to be about all of you being part of a Bounty Hunter group.
>Please make characters who have something to gain by hunting criminals. Old vandettas, looking for a lost loved one by getting information from captured criminals, ect.
>If you don't want to use of these reasons, at least make your character a childhood friend of one of the other players or something similar to keep them interested.

Sandboxes work well for videogames, but they're awful for roleplaying games. People have this misconception that sandboxes are great, because they fear railroading. I'm not defending railroading, but a campaign DOES need some sort of plot direction, otherwise it just becomes a bunch of uninvested murderhobos running around with no real goals besides acquiring power or doing things for the lulz. You might as well just tell them to get Skyrim or something.

Yes. I wound up leaving the game, because the GM was always shit and I was staying due to another player.

No, because I'm not That Guy.

Penelo's options were wandering off with pirates or becoming a slums stripper.
It was Vaan who really didn't add anything.

Sure. Usually its just that those characters have no real reason to do anything else more.
The party is often a good source of friendship and income, so why bother leaving?

For Vaan it was
a) live in the dumps forever
b) ADVENTURE
I can see why the little shit decided to roll with it.

what the fuck is that from a new god damn dungeon meshi, did a new chapter come out in the last few days?

If you make a character like that, you're either an asshole or a shitty roleplayer. I've seen them in the past though, and I think a GM is fully within their rights to refuse a character like that or insist they be changed.

It's from chapter 17. The series is up to 25.

Also the chapter is like 90% one of Marcille's flashbacks.

Flashback chapter awhile back.

Yeah, I did play this one rogue who was essentially being dragged along by the party against his wishes. He was supposed to warm up to them, but they never saw him as anything other than a skill monkey. They were so surprised when he sided with the BBEG.

I'm about to. Playing an Orc Warlock in a local guy's homebrew system. I was brought in as a mercenary to help an incompetent Mage get back to his home, when we were attacked by bounty hunters--turned out our employer has a huge bounty on his head, dead or alive. The rest of the party wanted to torture the surviving bounty hunter for information, but my character is a little more honorable. He respects contracts, and he doesn't judge a man by his work. I talk to the bounty hunter, learn his name (Tam Forster) and a little bit of his past. I tell him I'll set him free, and he'll go back to his guild and tell them whatever he needs to cover his own ass, but never to get in our way again or we will absolutely kill him. I figure it's a reasonable deal. No sense killing a man whose already beaten, and maybe we could curry favor with the bounty hunter's guild down the line. I go to bed satisfied.

Later that night my party tortures and murders him for his loot, then disintegrates the body and tells me they let him go like we agreed.

Turns out our employer is fucking awful. He ruins and/or complicates every plot we get involved in, gets us run out of towns, pays like shit, and has an annoying habit of killing our pack animals. The party thinks it's hilarious, but I've decided enough is enough. I'm going to go to the bounty hunter's guild and start asking for my "old friend" Tam Forster. I'm predicting a party wipe next session.

A good GM would be able to find a way to get the character invested. Not everyone is suicidally adventurous.

>I'm so entitled I think a GM is obliged to bend over backwards to make my inappropriate special snowflake fit into their game.

Have you ever played a character with a BIG nose?

this is a serious question.
I desperately need answers!!!