/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Blight Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
This is NOT /tesg/ minus waifus, so behave properly
No waifus or husbandos except for Balablob or Malaclob.
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.

Previous Kalpa

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Veeky
en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Argonian_Account
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In other news I ordered a custom 900*300 mousepad for 12 bucks with pic related, OP's image was another option.

If anyone is intersted let me know.

What is the Aldmeri Dominion/Thalmor's opinion on the Orsimer? Do they recognize them as elves? Does the worship of Malacath (formerly Trinimac, an Mer hero) gain them any brownie points?

Not well, as degenerate savages who can't into societies. Most likely in a fleeting sense, with no or very very little kinship felt.. Definitely not, Malacath is completely different from Trinimac.

What's the difference between blight and corprus? Isn't dagoth ur able to put up corprus storms aswell?

If anything the orcs fought alongside with the empire in the great war

From what I understand, Blight diseases come from the influence of Dagoth Ur on regular, boring diseases, while Corprus is the result of direct influence of Dagoth Ur on a man or mer.

Basically, Blight diseases are regular diseases with Corprus.

You can catch Corpus from the air, it's just that you'd have to be at red mountain and it's not implemented because of gameplay.

Blight seems to be disease enhanced by the "Holiness", where as Corpus itself is more closely related to it.

They are closer to Corpus than you'd think, considering they do warp and deform you similarly

Slow thread, eh?

I'm going through my morning routine, the triple S ritual, then I have to go to work. Thread should pick up in the afternoon.

>Mfw finally getting a game of UESRPG going.
Feels good, man.

What is the extent of healing? Can somebody grow back an arm or eye?

"Reman opened the door just a crack, but the Potentate could see his angry, fearful face, and the terrible mound of ripped tissue that used to be his right eye. Despite the best healers in the Empire, it was still a ghastly souvenir of the Lady Rijja's work in Thurzo Fortress."

I doubt it.

TESO armor variety is so nice/good. Bethesda could learn a thing or two.
Also, why isn't the Order of the Hour (or any templar order) mentioned after Daggerfall (especially in Oblivion)? I admit that I was a little surprised when TESO included it in the DB/GC dlc.

I'm not sure about an arm, but it can in fact cure arthritis, according to dialogue.

Help me find one.

I'd go crusading with this guy.

Ask the thread, or start one yourself.

If neither work out, you could always ask friends IRL to play with you, or go on one of the gamefinder threads and see if anybody would be interested.

I have that same color scheme

As far as ESO armors go, this is pretty nice.

I don't know about you, but the feelings and the emotions Morrowind (and its setting) gave me will be unmatched forever.

Does ESO actually develop any lore/clear up things that might have been points of contention before, seeing as how its set in the past and all? Should really get round to playing it some day.

Its just another mmo with a TES theme. Youd be better off just reading the wiki instead.

yeah but it's fun

It's worth 10 bucks, not more.
And a DLCfest.

when?

Tell me about Fargoth.
Why does he inspire memes?

I feel the same way about Skyrim.

He's the first regular NPC you find, he has unique lines and has a couple minor quests. And he's ridiculous.

have you heard his voice?

>clear up things that might have been points of contention before
As you may already know, Cyrodil was always referred to as a steaming jungle before Oblivion only to suddenly be portrayed as lush grassland in Oblivion.
Kirkbride wrote two lines of lore - one of which you can find in Oblivion and one in Skyrim - that states Talos changed the jungles to grasslands upon attaining apotheosis, to help the Empire flourish.
ESO kept the grassland Cyrodil from Oblivion despite taking place before Talos was even born, and states in one of its lore books that Cyrodil was never a jungle; just a "transcription error" in translating Ayelidoon.
This is the go-to example of ESO's approach to lore, and indicative of how they handle it.

You're specifically obscuring the truth now, or at least leaving part of it out. I'm not defending ESO, but there are at least one new books in the game discussing alternate theories like Towerforming.

There is at least one new book, rather. I'm not saying it's good, but it's there.

Oh, he forgot to say that they also retcon themselves, true.

Honestly, I totally forgot about the Towerforming book. You're right, my apologies.
Yeah, there's another lore book in game that states Cyrodil WAS once jungle but once the slave rebellion ended and humans took the White Gold Tower it gradually changed to grassland, as was the will of the new occupants.
I actually much prefer that explanation to the Talos one. Feel really silly right about now. I guess I got the impression from somewhere that it was a last-minute inclusion amidst backlash (since they'd already mentioned the "transcription error" thing before release).

On the topic of Oblivion makeover on Cyrodiil: is there any source on "they changed it because muh Lord of the Rings" or is it just presumption & conjecture?
Because that shit look nothing like Lord of the Rings.

I don't play the game, but apparently a lot of the points people were complaining about when it was in beta have since been addressed.

E N G I N E L I M I T A T I O N S

Ok, I cringed hard

>Yell at me any time past like 3PM Pacific Time
Might have to take you up on that offer.
Also hi, Duke. How are you doing?

>Do Argonians have a political structure beyond the tribal level?
Yeah, there's cities and kingdoms in Black Marsh, their details are just kind obscure.

>Are they capable of defying the Hist?
Being Argonian means obeying the Hist. A Saxhleel could probably end up defying them somehow, but at that point he really wouldn't be Argonian anymore.
If you don't subscribe to Argonian =/= Saxhleel, then I wouldn't know.

It was a bit more than a sect. It was more of a reformation of sorts, driven by one of the greatest Orsimeri leaders ever.
The majority of the population in Orsinium and the immediate area all converted, and it lasted from sometime around 3E 410 to around 4E 15. It was a proper golden age for Orsinium.

>Dunmer refers to himself as a Dark Elf
JUST

What kinda housing/architecture would there be in Black Marsh?

ESO had mud huts but not all Argonians would be living in mud huts I assume. I think there'd also be wooden huts on stilts, treehouses, more imperial style houses (not necessarily imperial, but houses like you'd find in human provinces) near the border, maybe even some really cool stuff like emperor crabs or giant snail shells.

Ribcages of creatures like whales and dragons would also make for good tents.

He's the worst kind of n'wah...

Oh, to the guy that made the thursday thread, next time use boards.Veeky Forums.org/tg/archive and ctrl+f "tgesg" and do it on friday

Probably a dirty n'wah

Like you said, mud huts, huts on stilts, more traditional houses in cities on the coast and near the border where Imperial plantations exist/used to be, Lilmothiit ruins, ancient Saxhleel ziggurats and ruins.

Oh, and while there may not be any more houses left, there would also be traces of the Kothringi and maybe other Nedic tribes the closer you are to the border with Cyrodiil. Maybe a Dres fortification to the north.

>a bottle of Orsinium pink zinfandel
probably the worst bit desu

>I think there'd also be wooden huts on stilts, treehouses, more imperial style houses (not necessarily imperial, but houses like you'd find in human provinces) near the border, maybe even some really cool stuff like emperor crabs or giant snail shells.
You're correct. This screenshot is from the border of Blackwood and Murkmire.

One thing I don't like about most of the books I've read from ESO is that they all have a really casual tone.

>For the stylish town Orc, Borzighu the Tidy Tailor of Orsinium has decided the watchwords this season are "restrained elegance." As he puts it, "We are, at last, proud to be Orcs. Strut your Orcish heritage with style!"
Orcs try to be fancy and shit because they got their shitty kingdom on its feet again and they're part of the Daggerfall Covenant.

You know, I could believe that. Much easier to render than the same surface area of proper dense jungle.
...Is, uh, is the current gen strong enough to handle something of that nature?

Best thing is they'll lose it again no matter what.

>"restrained elegance."
that's a good bondage site

>We are, at last, proud to be Orcs. Strut your Orcish heritage with style!"
How delusional are they?

The pink is actually BLOOD

>Urtho the Flatulent

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Argonian_Account
It says next-to-nothing about traditional housing but you'll probably find it a fun read anyway, if you haven't already.

Make way, best Orc coming through.

>Also hi, Duke. How are you doing?
I am not taking being on break well. Slightly miserable.

Well, it would've been about time I'd get to reading those long series of books.

Only ones I've finished so far are wolf queen and the eslaf erol series. Thanks for the recommendation.

You go read 'The Axe Man' now if you haven't done so already

Something a lot of people seem to miss is that Morrowind was fairly silly. There's plenty of jokes and silly situations in-game, and with the color scheme, makes Skyrim looks like the most grim-dark setting ever.

I like Skyrim almost, if not as much as Morrowind, though.

>Best Orc.
You act like that means something.

That was a load of shit. However, it does explain a lot about Tuskwiz being a poopelf.

Is 'offspring always the mother's race' actually how genetics works in-universe, or is that just how scholars think it works?

It works like that.

I imagine scholars in-universe wouldn't have much trouble finding out.

It does when you're Gortwog-tier.

I'm almost absolutely certain that it's how it actually works, at least unless something's causing the rules to be broken.

That said, in cases where our main source are texts, we arguably only know as much as whoever wrote the text.
This case is a bit wider, since we can look at other books, npc families, and so on, so it doesn't really apply here. But it's healthy to be somewhat critical of texts, especially if something in the lore stems from only one text.

Guy working on the BoL adaptation here
My next step is to come up with 6 Boons & 6 Flaws for each of the races.

For those unfamiliar with Barbarians of Lemuria, the Boons/Flaws are like feats or talents the character can begin play with based on their background (which is both their race + heritage). I'll follow this post up with an example from the BoL Legendary Edition rulebook so you guys will have a good example of the sorts of things I'm trying to come up with.

The only one I've come up with so far is:
Argonian
BOONS
Spear Fisher - A life trolling the swamps and rivers of the Black Marsh and southern Cyrodill grant you a +1 to all attack rolls to throw spears or javelins.

I've only now started the process and will likely come up with more in the meantime, but I'd like suggestions for both Boons and Flaws for each of the ten races.

I was also debating coming up with six boons and flaws related to each character profession, but i'm on the fence.

Well, you can look at their racial abilities across the series for some ideas.

So that those unfamiliar with BoL will have an idea of how Boons and Flaws normally go, here's an example of how it normally goes.
Note: Key racial traits are separate. All Argonians get Immunity and Amphibious in addition to their Boon and Flaw.

Axos Mountains
The people of the Axos Mountain range are the Haklaton, or several tribes of rangy barbarians. If you are from one of these tribes, your first career will be barbarian. You are also likely to be a hunter.

Boons
> Disease Immunity: Your character is immune to all diseases, even magical ones.
> Hard-To-Kill: You are particularly solidly built. Add +2 LB to your total.
> Quick Recovery: Living in the mountains gives you better endurance than many. When recovering after a combat, you regain an additional LB point, on top of the half you recover normally.
> Rock Tracker: You are skilled in hunting creatures that live in the mountains. When tracking, trapping, or hunting creatures in this environment, you may use an extra die.
> Sling: The tribes of the Axos range are noted for their use of the sling to bring down game. Roll an extra die when firing a sling.

Flaws
> Bumpkin: the big city is a confusing and heartless place for the new arrival. Roll an extra die in situations to do with urban survival.
> Distrust of Sorcery: You will not knowingly use sorcerers powers or items. When dealing with wizards and alchemists, roll an extra die.
> Illiterate: You cannot read or write and you cannot choose a career with literacy as a requirement.
> Landlubber: Your character is unused to travelling by sea. Roll an extra die for all activities undertaken whilst at sea.
> Taciturn: Your character is ridiculously tight-lipped. It's a rare day on which he uses a sentence of more than three words, and it's virtually unheard-of for him to initiate conversation. His extreme reluctance to speak unfortunately means he never volunteers information without being asked. Roll an extra die in social situations.

I'm not good with balancing mechanics, but I'd imagine that Nords and Bretons would have a save against physical damage for Dragonskin and Woad respectively. Same goes with their resistances.

Their key racial traits are sperate from the Boons/Flaws of their origins; we worked on those a little last thread.
These are side-bonuses unique to the individual based on their pre-adventurer lives.
I'm probably going to go over the summary lore in the traveler's guide and such to fish for ideas.

>Also, why isn't the Order of the Hour (or any templar order) mentioned after Daggerfall (especially in Oblivion)?
Well, I assumed those crusading Orders were more of a phenomenon contained to the Iliac. Iliac faith is not unified, people seem to assume that just because they worship divines that means they worship them all, but this is not true, regions have their own predominant divine cults. The whole united worship of the Nine Divines thing is really more localized to the Imperial Cult. There is no unified Breton Church.

>guy forces you to go search blindly into his labyrinthine stronghold to find the letter he promised to give you that's hidden in the deepest saferoom of the fort, knowing full well and even telling you that his orc guards aren't going to like you snooping around
fuck that guy

There is also references to them, including in Oblivion, at least for the Order of the Lamp (who are in Oblivion).

What are some of your favorite quests from any of the games and why?

hackdirt was pretty cool

I have a really dumb question: how do they prove paternity? remember how barenziah was forced to have a magical abortion because the emperor didn't want a baby from her? if that baby was going to be a dunmer, then how would anyone prove anything?

Journey to Aetherius was pretty cool.

>how do they prove paternity?
They can't, as far as we know.

>Generally the offspring bear the racial traits of the mother, though some traces of the father's race may also be present
Check if the seed is strong, I guess?

Wulfharth was a Bosmer.

I wouldn't say it's my favorite, but The Drunken Bounty Hunter from Morrowind was everything a small TES side quest should be.

It has so much character, charm, and small details. For example, it describes the poor fellow in your journal as having not showered in weeks and reeking of failure in your journal. Not only that but there are actually three different ways to find out the slave's identity: Asking around like normal, or if you are an Argonian automatically know what his name translates to, or if you have a high Intelligence, recall Argonian naming conventions from earlier in your studies.

Spicy meme, bro.
>yfw showers/showering regularly is canon.

The Oblivion Crisis was an inside job.

And Zurin was a Tsaesci.

The Tharnatos never left.

Magic. If scrying and divination are things, I imagine it would be too hard to make a spell to prove bloodlines.

Or, you know, slip the Amulet of Kings on him, and if it doesn't slip off, he might be the heir.

For regular folks, if your son is exhibits some traits that aren't in your family (like having green eyes if everybody in both family had brown eyes for generations, I guess, I'm not sure how things like eye color work in TES.), I suppose that would be suspicious. You could probably get a local mage to check, but it might cost a bit.

How do Dunmer determine who is more or less of an n'wah amongst themselves?
Are people from the mainland always more of an n'wah than people from Vvardenfell, or is it relative based on the observer?
What if there's a family of at least some non-Dunmeri living in Morrowind for generations, are they equivalent to true foreigners?
Would they be outclassed in n'wah if they lived on Vvardenfell and a mainlander showed up?

>How do Dunmer determine who is more or less of an n'wah amongst themselves?
General attitude, accents, and so on.

>Are people from the mainland always more of an n'wah than people from Vvardenfell, or is it relative based on the observer?
It's relative.

>What if there's a family of at least some non-Dunmeri living in Morrowind for generations, are they equivalent to true foreigners?
Pretty much. It does also depend on where they are and what time period it is.

Non-N'wah
>Dunmer family living in Morrowind since Velothi times
Slight-N'wah
>Dunmer family living in Morrowind after Velothi times
Pretty N'wah
>Family living in Morrowind since Velothi times
Very N'wah
>Family living in Morrowind after Velothi times
Full N'wah
>Recently moved to Morrowind
SUPER N'wah
>Family incorporates Khajiit/Argonian

Having lived in a small town most of my life, I imagine it works almost the same way people here (especially older people) view people who move here from out of town.
If your family hasn't been here for at least a century, you're a fucking sojourner. The more regional you get, the longer the necessary time period becomes.

Might just be one of the ways common folks discourage interracial relationships. You might have an exotic wife and all, but the local guys are always commenting on how you son's eyes look a lot like the innkeeper's. Whether true or not, I'm sure those kinds of rumors would be pretty common.

What the hell kind of small town are you from?

I'm currently living in a small town, and even though I moved there from the big city that I lived in for years, not even the more bitter old people hold animosity towards me or the fact I'm not from there.

Are you a Yankee?

Eh. The color scheme's a lot of greys and browns and greyish brownish greens. Skyrim's not any better on the whole but I'd say MUH GRAFFIX give it an edge.
Out of both I'd say the Rift's the most cozy, colorwise.

That quest's how I ended up in these threads.
Fuckin Deep Ones mang

Well, nobody knew that he rode a Battlecat...