The 12 Towers

A few days ago I posted a thread regarding my game, I figured I'd follow up with some pics of the completed 2.0 version.

For the full description, I have it posted on BGG

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/202491/12-towers

The TL;DR version:
This is my attempt at a Sandbox RPG game. The game includes a massive 32x32 board (working on sizing it down, or making it tile based), 600 game cards, 12 Tower figurines and character figurines, Tracker Sheets and a rulebook (in progress)

This has been a work in progress for almost a year, and I'm (hopefully...) getting close to the end stages of getting a Kickstarter later next month, as well as a team of artists, publishers and so forth to give it the final shine.

As complex as it looks, The 12 Towers is pretty straight forward and simple. Players take turns completing a number of actions; Attacking, casting spells, moving and exploring, etc etc. When there's a high number of active players, multiple turns are taken at the same time. This allows for team gameplay (and betrayal!)

The main goal is to control all 12 Towers, or eliminate all players, both are not easily accomplished. The focus of the game is Power. Rather than a shit ton of numbers to remember, Power basically represents everything that you are; Mana, Health, Money, Influence, and so on. Pretty much everything in the game effects Power, and it's not an infinite resource. The idea is to keep your Power high, and bring others down.

As of right now I'm looking to get some information in artists, publishers, manufacturers, editors, social media experts and possible play testers in the NY area to get involved in the near future, and be a part of this project. In due time I'll have the funds to divvy up and get some professionals working on this. So far it's just been me making this game.

I'll post my work e-mail in a bit, and if you have questions regarding anything just ask.

Card artwork so far, all my original work.

Obviously I'd like to find a professional group of artists to make this look a LOT less cartoony, but it's getting the job done.

Looks neat. It sounds a bit tricky to find enough people to play though.

Thanks, the game works with any amount of players, from 2 to 12. About a month ago I got a 5vs5 team DM organized, and it ran quite smoothly.

Problem is I keep finding new players, and it's a mess explaining the rules all over again. Eventually I'll get a solid team of pro testers, so we can whip through a game in no time, rather than cut half way because it's already been 2 hours.

>playing with +5 people
>die first
>must just wait while 4-11 other players duke it out, which will probably still take a long time

Do you have any sort of mechanism to avoid this situation?

please contact me: [email protected] I have contacts with investors that fund games.

I don't think the art is bad. Not great very home brew but an acceptable place holder for proof of concept/prototyping.

Where did you get the mini towers?

I have had good luck using foreign artists from poor countries on Fiverr.com for my rpg projects.

Here's a bump for you OP, I might have questions later tonight when not at work.

Interesting idea.

Working on several actually.

The one that worked the most basically pairs you up with the player that defeated you. Being defeated in this game means your Power is reduced to zero, and you have NO Towers. You are then automatically teamed up with that player, you can still attack and move around during their turn, and any cards you have in your hand can be shared with them.

Will do, thank you.

I had those printed at my local public Library actually. Took a few days/weeks to get done, but getting all 12 printed only cost me $21

Interesting idea indeed, I'll check it out.

>The one that worked the most basically pairs you up with the player that defeated you. Being defeated in this game means your Power is reduced to zero, and you have NO Towers. You are then automatically teamed up with that player, you can still attack and move around during their turn, and any cards you have in your hand can be shared with them.

This might cause resentful players to sabotage their new teammate. Which in turn might make everyone fear killing off anyone else, turning the game into a turtlefest where no one really tries to kill anyone else. Alternatively, everyone charges whoever´s known not to be a salty bich because he´s a good teammate, while shitty players are rewarded by being left alone while they position/grow//get ready to stab someone/whatever.

Ahh that's a good point, and I did see that once or twice.

My goal for end game stuff for defeated players is basically making them wanderers. While they can still play, their actions benefit someone else.

Or I could be completely wrong, I'll work on some stuff later tonight.

I really like the aesthetics, pretty well done user. Not sure about the system tho

Then you´re making a caste of kingmakers that can make the remaining players feel like their efforts aren´t worth it.

Or still have nobody want to kill because then the dead will likely aid everyone else.

A nasty problem.

Thanks, it's still a heavy work in progress, especially the fine details.

Agreed, bit of a snag. I'll take a look at some of the games on my shelves, see if I can find a solution.

I've played games that had elimination mechanics that were basically "You're done, bye! Seriously go home." definitely want to avoid that, but also include defeated players until the very end.

Also, been working on this crappy company logo all day. Font definitely needs work, but I'll stick with the cartography theme

>Problem is I keep finding new players, and it's a mess explaining the rules all over again. Eventually I'll get a solid team of pro testers, so we can whip through a game in no time, rather than cut half way because it's already been 2 hours.

IMO it's good to get all kinds of play testers. You don't just want people who have played and learned the game before because that;s not who you are selling to,

You are selling to people who have not. One of the hardest things to do is easily explain a game to a player. I feel like once you can get a player from a never played before scrub to player you have a good rule set.

You still want people who will point out rule errors, confusing mechanics, spelling errors, and combos as well though lol.

I'd lose the incredibly exploitative image of the old man winter in the background.

You should toss a version onto Tabletop Simulator. It'd be a good way to do some crash testing--run some newbs through the game, and see how other people can do going in blind.

Plus if things go well you might get some good word of mouth out of it.

Maybe once someone dies they become part of an "undead" faction or something that can try to mess with the remaining players? I'm not sure how powerful this faction would have to be to be worthwhile, but it might give defeated players something to do. The remaining players would have to battle against that in the end game as well. I don't know how much that would change how your game plays though.

I think your game looks fun, user

This.
I'd test it in TTS.

Look at logos of other companies in a similar field.

generally you want somthing simple with few colours. from the brief look I had on Board game companies, you want smooth curves, few colours (2-3) and generally cooler colours (blue).

Just give them special cards and an alternate wincon like in the Resident Evil Deckbuilding Game.

>player elimination
No

>last man standing
No no no

OP, just have a turn limit and whoever has the most power once time up wins. For example: any eurogame.

Looks like a solid concept though.

>+50 Power
Is there any reason it can't be +5? Don't inflate the numbers if you don't have to.

Agreed, dicking around with some ideas that revolve around wind, definitely got carried away with this design.

Awesome, I'll check it out

Undead eh? I like that. Basically when a player is done, they have no Power, so spell casting is out, but they can still use weapons and such.

Roger that, I'll get on something more simple this weekend.

We did that a few times, when time was up, we did a Power count, and Tower count.

Also to clarify, a standard game gives each player 1000 Power. Now that might seem like a lot, but I'll explain the breakdown.

With the starting 1000, that number is divided between your Keeper (your character on the board) and your starting Tower.

For example, I'll play offensive, so I'm bringing 800 Power with my Keeper, and leaving 200 to my Tower. with 800, I can cast some heavy spells (cost upward to 60) and take some damage with no problem, but my 200 Tower will be weak, and easily taken over.

Pretty much everything effects your Power: Casting spells, Controlling towers, taking damage, there are a lot more factors that reduce Power, rather than give.

Each Tower has those two bottom effects: Control a similar color event, or Destroy your opposing Tower event gives you +50 Power. While that might add up quick, keep in mind you'll have to hold on to those Towers for a while to get anything substantial/life saving.

would it be possible to divide the cost of everything by 5? or even 10? if not you could do some rounding first
for example powers costing 16p, 60p, 134p, 560p
could instead cost 2p, 6p, 13p, 56p
take a look at card games, in MtG and hearthstone you have 20 to 30 health, while in yugioh you have 8000, and its hard to keep track of

Bump for interest.

Are there any skills that are hand-to-hand based, with no weapons or magic?

What this guy said. Asian games tend to inflate power values for the sake of it looking "stronger" when a much more basic simplicity is easier. Especially with a board that looks, frankly, convoluted. I would simplify the Power system. Using one resource for all of this is a simple method, but difficult to pull off well. If that's so simple then everything else should be equally easy to understand.

Yes, there's a few ideas in progress that boost your combat effects, even without a weapon. For now it just focuses on Undertower, and it's Tower Card (Being that it's owned by drunken dwarves) there will be several factors that change your damage output if you choose not to equip a weapon. Heavy WIP so i'll take any suggestions you have.

>Dar'Ude
Alright you cheeky bastard.

Lol was hoping someone would see that. There's a few parody cards in the game

Parodies of memes will gather quite a lot of scorn and headshaking.

As much as I hate to say this - you do NOT want to post your logo on here before it's complete and registered. About the time you do that here and someone else registers it prior to you, you'll end up in a legal mess.

That's the only meme one, the others are from books.

Heard, thank you for the advice, upper post is a current sketch, next ones I'll keep private

I think he means the name.
Someone could register your company name or the website.
And than you have to pay money to get them back or prove you were first.

If they do, not really a problem. I can always come up with something else, Crosswinds is just homage to an old NWN server I played on as a teen, started the inspiration of the game. Also it's a DBA name, nothing legal or signed yet

But like you wrote, it had a meaning for you.
Not a doom of the world, but sad for you.
So we just want to prevent some sad moments and hassle to make something anew.

Please hire a artist off freelance art by the job type sites. This is fine for a concept but not final.

Oh hey, we meet again. Glad to see things are progressing well with your project.

Remember me? I was the one who made this freebie for you a few threads ago (was intrigued and free at the time) when you consult us on your logo idea. My advise from previous thread didn't change, help from a professional artist goes a long way.

If you're interested on hiring one, I can offer you my help, or at least consult you on some common look outs for free, cuz I am a nice guy like that.

Hit me up if you need anything solid.
[email protected]

I am also working closely with some professional illustrators on the job. Could also get you some pro level art done for a reasonable price.

Pic related, something I have on my screen right now.

See this? This is the kind of clear direction I wish to see more on my clients. Yes it is not professional work, but at least you have a very clear image of what iconography you want and what imagery you wish to portray.

The main problem is that your attempt to cramp all the ideas together is too busy. One common tip for any logo design is scalablity, like how would the thing look when printed on small and big surface. Would the design still translate well? How many details are lost when printed small? Etc.

The key is being clear on all occasion. It is after all an representation of yourself.

Here is something I cooked up for you. A more professional iteration of your idea can look something like this. Don't worry, it's another freebie. Feel free to peruse it whatever.

This is a valid advise, I know people who worked in IP legal firm who kept saying the same thing. Imo though, it is less of an issue for a small time company with no hostile competitor. I mean, it's not easy getting the mark registered proper, the procedure take weeks unless they have first party legal support, ain't cheap either.

Love how the towers are just snug enough to fit a itty bitty d6.

Much appreciated advice. The "art" department of this game has been just me, dicking around with a cheap tablet I got on Amazon, and Autodesk Sketchbook.

I'll definitely e-mail you soon, glad this thread has been supportive!