Warhammer 40k General

baked bread edition

>Rules databases
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

>FAQ’s and Errata (outdated but official)
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s).
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

> The Black Library(Stay the fuck away from the clowns)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q!c4pGAJDb

> Space 0Din's glorious work
dropbox.com/s/lsx27fo3rq2x7tk/Codex - Orks 7th Edition Update [Space Odin](2016).pdf?dl=0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5MTBBLZD0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

My friend told me Orks are a melee race, is this true?!?

>he fields unpainted models

I'm one of the two people at my local store that owns a painted army.

Yes. They have 2 attacks base and Furious Charge. Also they have assault transports, or if you have a really deadly unit that you want to protect especially well you can use a Gorkanaut.

>Want to use mortar teams because they look cool af
>3 mortar bases are 60 points
>1 Wyvern is 65 points
>Wyvern is twin-linked
>Wyvern has shred
>Wyvern fires 1 extra blast
>Wyvern is more durable
>Mortar teams can benefit from either IG battle focus, Pinning, Split-fire or ignores cover

>Want to use mortar teams because they look cool af
Then do so. Using only the "best" models just ends up with everyone playing basically the same netlists.

Is not my fault if i want to play, and im too much autistic on the details (plus terrible at painting minis) so it takes like one hour to paint a guardsmen.

also what are you working on today? I almost finished my veterans and my second chimera

I'm sorry user

I try to paint at least a little bit inbetween every time I play so my army is always more painted that it was last time, but I just hate painting so very, very much

>>Mortar teams can benefit from either IG battle focus, Pinning, Split-fire or ignores cover
thats why i prefer them over the wyvern when im not playin mechanized

This.

How hard is it to fucking paint a unit?

How people can field the same grey shit week after week and feel proud to call it their army is beyond me.

Mortar teams are easier to hide and they have objective secured.

But yeah. Heavy weapon squads need to halve their basic cost to be of any use since artillery vehicles and FW heavy Artillery Carriages just do what they do and so much better.

Hey, I have some steel legion aswell, and they're painted as best I can.

My hands are no where near steady but I try.

The unsteadiness goes away

>How hard is it to fucking paint a unit?

depends how much time they have free, although if they are showing up week after week with literally nothing done then fuck em

Basically finished my guard army, took a while painting literally 30 cadians but it got done and it feels good. Even bothered to put some transfers on each individual shoulder pad, each squad with a different number.

But yeah I get what this user means. Fighting against grey legion just ruins it for me.

Yeah but literally nobody who is into wargaming AND can visit an LGS has such a lack of free time they can't spend one hour or two painting a unit.

And in my experience i know more people willing to just field the same grey/black mess than even try to improve, but anyone who at least attempts to progess has my respect.

There's many different aspects to this hobby. Some people are only into the game part.

I have a painted army but I'm bringing in a new army that is yet unpainted.

>How hard is it to fucking paint a unit?
Not hard at all, however it can take a long time to build and paint. For example, I have managed to spend 12 hours on cleaning/assembling 3 Berzerkers and my Knight took some 60+ hours

>Yeah but literally nobody who is into wargaming AND can visit an LGS has such a lack of free time

i wouldn't rule it out, i skipped the last games night to even get the time to paint anything

Yeah i've done this before. to some this would be heresy and you couldn't even suggest it.

Well nothing wrong with that. People know you can and will paint. nobody expects a brand new force to be fully painted within a day, it's a mater of willingness to show effort

Well then, im happy that everywhere i play (gw store and club) everyone has an hardon for painting, and the less painted things i saw were primed or wip minis.

What is the official uniform for Chaplains?

Is right shoulder pad a skull, left the chapter's symbol?
What about knee pads? I've seen the chapter symbol painted on the left and right.

>Yeah but literally nobody who is into wargaming AND can visit an LGS has such a lack of free time they can't spend one hour or two painting a unit.
Gotta pay for all those models somehow.

I usually only paint when my 40k League is active (they award hobby points) and I usually spend a week working on a unit when I can after work.

There was a slight discussion about this last thread so I messaged the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page about it. They told me that the Fenris War Zone book does not change how you select Psyker powers for Chaos Daemons meaning you can still only go up to half on the respective god's table.

Do what you like best. All the GW models have nothing on the knee pads, skull on the right shoulder, and chapter on the left. Though you could just paint the left shoulder black and use it for any chapter.

Black armour. Skull face, Left shoulder Chapter, Right shoulder Skull.

That's about it.

Same goes for Librarians, Blue armour, left chapter, right librarian.

Tech-Marines same shit. Red armour, left chapter, right mechanicus.

my locals tend to paint and most of my stuff is painted. i have spotted a tourny player that might need some "help" with his painting, for a price of course.

since classes are out for the summer i've been painting up a few models each week. my base work needs some work though, i need to get another glue so this gravel will stick to bases. elmers didn't stick and, uper glue flakes off.

Thoughts on my mordian Army? Want to keep it pretty much as is cause it suits my theme, but happy to make some minor tweaks if it helps.

Whoops forgot to put it in the post. As per below

HQ:

Company Command Squad (60) with master of ordnance and astropath (45), vox caster (5), heavy flamer (10), medic pack (15), regimental standard (15), chimera transport (65) Total 215 points

HQ TOTAL: 215

TROOPS:

Infantry Platoon COMD (30), vox caster (5), melta bombs (5), heavy flamer (10), chimera (65) Total 115 points.

2x10 Infantry squads (100), melta bombs (10), flamer (10), vox caster (10), 2x chimera (130). Total 260 points.

Infantry Platoon COMD (30), vox caster (5), melta bombs (5), heavy flamer (10), chimera (65) Total 115 points.

2x10 Infantry squads (100), melta bombs (10), flamer (10), vox caster (10), 2x chimera (130). Total 260 points.

TROOP TOTAL: 750

HEAVY:

Leman Russ Vanquisher Squadron (135), two additional leman russ tanks (270), lascannons (30), sponson mounted multimeltad (60). Total 495 points

Hydra Battery (70), one additional hydra (70). Total 140 points

Basilisk Battery (125), one additional basilisk (125). Total 250 points

HEAVY TOTAL: 885

OVERALL TOTAL: 1850 points

While i tend to agree, you really can't dictate how people enjoy their hobby. Some people don't play warhammer 40k for the painting aspect, which is only 1 part of the game. Some people just like playing the game

Then someone, somewhere, is dumb. (no big surprise)
There's a tzeentch relic that if your warlord generates all its powers on change, it knows all the change powers. This isn't possible unless the psychic generating restriction is removed

I don't wanna be Mr. No Fun Allowed, but we do have a list thread up atm.

Lvl 1 Psyker Warlord can TECHNICALLY generate all his powers in Change

>God of Magic's Warlord has to be pigeonholed into the lowest mastery for his relic to work
>Impractical requires to get a relic to work
>Despite knowing seven powers, the world will only be able to cast one.

Just. As. Planned.

>Impractical requirements*** to get a relic to work
>Despite knowing seven powers, the warlord*** will only be able to cast one a turn.

Curse these fat fingers of mine.

Dude, I like Rough Riders
>Are they amazing?
No, but they're fun to use

All good mate cheers I'll post it there!

What are the troubles a void faring IG regiment would face? I want to make a IG regiment based on Varangian Guard who worship an Imperial Saint as an aspect of the Emperor, and now lives in the void of space as their home sector was purged after a massive Chaos insurrection. What troubles would they face?

Roughriders, Ogryns, Ratlings, Scio- STORMTROOPERS and Battle Psykers. I love all of these and I lament oh so much that they all suck more or less. Only Psykana Division makes psykers playable and even then they are pretty much summon factories.

Yeah IF you pass a leadership test on Ld7 unless you waste a commissar in the squad. Wyvern gets ignores cover for free and because they are blob deleters, Wyverns should be firing at the same thing anyway.

>who worship an Imperial Saint as an aspect of the Emperor
You know what that sounds like?

I figured. Is it really that bad when feral worlds get away with it?

No user, you're doing it wrong, scream at everything.

Like, literally scream at my opponents? I like the sound of that since Wyrdvane Psykers cant sadly take Telepathy.

sebastian thor?

>they all suck
ratlings are decent
scions aren't bad
roughriders are a bit of a gimmick but hardly the worst unit in the game
ogryn used to be fucking good, now they're hampered by the transport restrictions

no idea on battle psykers, but unless you're playing with min-maxing faggots all of those units are perfectly legit.

Bullgryns are good with a priest and the 3+ save when they're base-to-base.
Ratlings suck and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
Rough Riders suck really bad, BUT DKoK Death Riders are pretty great.
Scions are meh. The twin-linked order with volley-guns and plasma guns are alright.

Fix one rule in 40k per post.

>Cover saves are removed
>Cover now adds +1/+2/+3 to your save, allowing lesser rerolls (like BS) if you hit 2+
>this works with either your armor or invuln save
>AP that ignores your armor save is applied before the cover bonus
>vehicles gain the same bonus, even if they have no save on their own (therefore working as currently)
>Ex: 3+ Sv behind +2 cover would be a 2+/reroll for 6+ armor save, if targeted by AP3, save is reduced to 5+ from cover

I fix your shitty cover save system to what we currently have. Natural rerolls are a bad thing since it cause extra time to be wasted when used too much.

My suggestion: Swap all non-template Ignores Cover to Sunder Cover: rerolls to succesful cover saves.

I'm well aware of the irony here.

Not too bad, went the AOS route.

Personally I'd prefer it to modify To Hit rolls similarly to WHFB.

Problem with our current Cover save set up is it's either just a discount armour / invulnerable save.

>5 Terminators can either go into the 5+ cover and get slowed down due to Difficult terrain or stand in the open because cover nothing but penalize them

>Ignore Cover now becomes Ignore Cover (X) where it reduces the cover by X amount
>One Markerlight becomes Ignore Cover (1), stacks with itself.

>Encouraging gunline faggotry
And I'm a goddamn Tau.

How does that encourage gunlining?

Also if you gunline then you pretty much automatically lose Maelstorm missions.

It bites that you can only give him ML1 but a guaranteed D Strength Psyker power on a Herald ain't bad.

Probably due to fact units become so much more durable:

Example:
>On average you need 3 Wounds to get a Marine to fail its Armour Save.
>If 5+ Cover now gave +2 to your Save your new save is 2+/6+
>You now need effectively 8 Wounds to get a Marine to fail its new Save.

Personally I think it's a step in the right direction. Cover save being Free Saves has always bugged me.

Ya the relic is effectively Your Psyker knows S-D laser.
Mastery Level 1 Psykers only.

I actually got better idea now:

Ignores cover works like it does when within 12" or fire by template weapons. Outside 12" it forces rerolls on covers.

There. Now it actively encourages you to hug your opponent and shoot the living shit out of them. And you dont have to chance any codex rules!

>mfw my first game was using my fully painted Ork army against a white scars army that was entirely primed white and nothing else.
I wouldn't of minded being crushed if he at least put some effort into painting his models

What? Herald can and should have ML3 always when possible. Its just too good to pass up.

What is the math for a -2 to hit instead of +2 to armor save?

Either way, changing cover from an extra save to any sort of modifier massively increases the survivability of models because now they effectively take their armor and cover saves

So the Endless Grimoire is pretty much a trash relic in that case?

its not even that. The relic doesn't say "the bearer knows all tzeentch powers" its "the warlord knows all tzeentch powers"
it only works if your WARLORD is a ml1 psyker

>Either way, changing cover from an extra save to any sort of modifier massively increases the survivability of models because now they effectively take their armor and cover saves
Yes exactly, so melee and flamer templates become all that more important and bullshit gunlines that blow your whole army off the board turn 1 struggle more.

Make your warlord a ml1 daemon prince with wings and fly him around sniping vehicles with the D.

The wording says "your warlord" not "the model carrying the grimoire" so it works.

Yeah the wording is weird.

i once played a white scars army that painted everyone the same, it was annoying asking which squad was which each turn

>spend like a an hour painting a single guardsmen
>Not satisfied into the simple green it goes
I should just be happy with mediocrity

and nothing of value was lost

Not really. If your warlord is other than Fateweaver then you'll get at least 3 extra spells out of it. And almost all tzeentch spells are fantastic. Primaris, summon and that D-spells are all good for fast moving casters.

>forces rerolls on covers.
Remove ignores cover, replace with "reroll succesful cover saves

Also remove all rerolls of saves from the game, including FnP and RP.

I need to know if I am the only one who does this.

When we play, I usually do everything to lose, without looking like I was doing it on purpose, nor being an idiot.

My goal is always to lose while making the opponent look like a tactical genius. I often do things like
>Place my guys out of LoS so that he can *just* reach around with another unit to shoot them anyway
>Place my units in ways where they have the ability to flank my important ones, or leave space for deep strikers to show up
>"accidentially" place an important character or special weapon/support guy in a way where he is easy to snipe out of the group because of wound allocation
>against opponents who are inattentive, I will even cheat with my dice to give myself worse rolls than I should, but always *just* not enough, so I don't have tons of 1s or 2s everywhere.

I don't know why. I just never feel truly satisfied when I win. I have to lose, and it has to be in a way where it looks like the opponent just outplayed me.

I am not the only one, right?

This would be even worse for most light infantry armies, as they still won't get a save against the multi-shot AP4 weapons and regular AP5 guns that do the most damage to them. But hey, Space Marines and Necrons get even better, and it isn't like anyone plays Tyranids, Orks, or Dark Eldar anyway.

Are infantry heavy imperial guard lists with just a small hint of mech doable these days?

I just want a large variety of infantry unit types in my army with some artillery behind them.

>I am not the only one, right?

You are.

>forcing yourself to lose
why even play? The fun is in playing the game and seeing what happens. Forcing out a loss, or cheating for a win are both equally stupid

Don't make us use the C-word, user.

>why even play?
Because it is fun.

It's sorta like games like Dwarf Fortress. The point is that you will lose, at some point, but you shouldn't just give up the game. No, you have to lose *well*.

I only try to cheat when the opponent is completely lost and acts like a fucking idiot, despite claiming to be a veteran player.

Admittedly, I rarely have to cheat to win on my main army. It is Dark Eldar, so it is fairly easy to make mistakes that fuck me over.

My other army is difficult to work with... Tau. And I bought two riptides because they looked cool, so now I have two riptides, and my loses are automatically chalked up as being because I didn't even include 1 riptide, and literally nothing else.

that's odd, but i will help out whoever i'm playing with rules or small mistakes

>okay so ima cast psychic shriek with 3 dice on your burning chariot, i rolled 18 so he's probably dead
>not allowed
>w-what?
>you can't target the rider, i could opt to take some wounds on him but he's not the original target
>well shit, guess i wasted those charges
>it's fine, take them back and do something else

If you want to lose that much why don't you just play Orks?

I used to, so you're not the only one, especially about the dice thing.
I always played to give my opponent a good fight, but not to win. It's also part of why I tend to play antagonist factions, like CSMs, Orks, Dark Eldar, and Necrons (back in 4e).

I started doing it when teaching new people how to play, give 'em a good experience and all that, and eventually it just became habit. I do enjoy having successes during games, but never quite enjoy actually winning the whole thing.

I'm more of a collector than a player anyway.

>I do enjoy having successes during games
On my Tau, my goal is always to keep my Ethereal alive at all costs, fuck winning.

On my Dark Eldar, it is usually about killing one specific target. As long as I do that, it's all gravy.

It backfires sometimes, however, like the local CSM player who consistently forfeits a game if his Slaneesh Sorcerer dies turn 1 or 2.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ar5MTBBLZD0

how would it be any different than it is now? Instead of a flat 4+ cover save, you would get +3 to your armor. Those weapons that *don't* ignore your 5+ armor would give you a 2+ save, and those that *do* ignore your armor you would get your 4+ save anyway that you would have gotten with the cover save system.

Weather armor save modifiers or BS modifies are the better way to go, math wise, is unclear, but cover as a modifier and not a save will actually go a long way to making shooting less viable.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. So long as you're having fun, and your opponent is, go at it. However, why don't you put your talents to use and go against newbies, show them the ropes, explain some strategic moves, but play good enough to make them think.

You could be doing a really good thing, user. Go for it

What is/can be the most expensive unit point wise?

death company or a full squad of those cult mech baymax bots

Emperor Class Battle Titan

Most expensive unit with a model is the Warlord Class Battle Titan.

Anyone know what sort of model the Dracosan Transport from forge world could be proxied as in 40k? I was thinking a crassus, then i found that those were huge.

So I have lost my third match against Dark Angels' Ravenwing this week.

How is an army allowed to be that fast AND durable?

I am playing a Necron force so I know my army is supposed to not die but almost everything he had could use some sort of high strength or AP 2 hit and just demolish my troops.

Don't get me started on Darkshrouds, I thought they would be easy to pop but I wasted 20 gauss shots and he jinked it away THEN the thing blocks overwatch when his command squad destroyed my Lychguard...

I am thinking about picking up 2-3 boxes of Tomb blades for some quick ignore covers to at least take out his speeders quick.

Any other good ideas?

Arent they just demolisher cannons with optional multilaser turret? Lemanruss demolisher or Thunderer then.

Outside of Superheavies, it is likely a full unit of Crisis Bodyguards. 32 points naked, with the most expenses options available (Bonding knife, double plasma and shield generator) runs it in at 89 points. For a full unit of 9, that is 801 points.

Throw on the 2 drones per guy (18) for an additional 216 points, for a total of 1017 points for a single unit.

Melee. Drop scarabs, wraiths or praetorians on his jinkthing and it'll go away.

>excuses

Which is baffling, because the game is so ridiculously bad. If you're only in it for the game aspect, there are much better choices.

I have a ton of Scarabs I have never used but I was going to stay away from Wraiths because they seem to draw a lot of hate in my meta. They do seem like amazing units though.

Since I play troop heavy the Praetorian's formation (judicators something) does look good since I could bring the Triarch stalker I have.

The lychguard got decimated by his command squad. He got the charge and his Chaplin challenged out Obyron and beat the shit out him.

A fully upgraded unit of renegade ogryn brutes is 870 points.

Not really. There are no other sci-fi 28mm non-skirmish war games. Everything else in 28mm that's sci-fi as well is skirmish bullshit.

(And also in before someone starts complaining that 28mm is too large a scale for non-skirmish.)

Heralds can only get ML2, not 3.

>There's many different aspects to this hobby.
Like the dopamine spike you get for buying expensive plastic toys?