Fantasy AGE General

Been running this for my group for a while now, enjoying it very much.

Anyone else a fAGE player?

>Core Rulebook
sendspace.com/file/fp6lfk

Other urls found in this thread:

sendspace.com/file/zddxo3
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've seen it around, but never read anything on/about it. What can you tell me about the AGE system? The setting looks a little Sword & Sandals from the artwork, is that true? I'm potentially intrigued

The AGE system is 3d6 vs Target Number.
Doubles get you a 'stunt' that allows you to have expanded combat/magic options based on one of your pre-designated dice (called 'Stunt Die').

I don't know much Swords & Sandals, but this is more or less as 'Generic Fantasy' as it gets, one of the flaws is that the core book doesn't have shit in the way of monsters, but the Bestiary just dropped so there's plenty of potential fluff there.

There are 3 classes, with a 4th hinted at but not out yet.

Mage, Fighter, and Rogue

Each one dictates what you get, and Mages obviously have double the paperwork because they have to juggle MP and the magic system (which is as above roll to cast, pass or fail).

The rest of the system is pretty open, with sub-skills that you can use to boost rolls by 2, taken on level ups / chargen / when the class allows them.

Are there problems because of HP bloat?

Not at I've run into.
Each class starts with a set number + Constitution + 1d6.

Mage = 20
Rogue = 25
Warrior (not Fighter, sorry) = 30

And everyone gets 1d6 + Constitution (Which is a stat between 0 and 4 at chargen) per level, which isn't that much imo

>Doubles get you a 'stunt' that allows you to have expanded combat/magic options based on one of your pre-designated dice (called 'Stunt Die').
Just to clarify, do you mean that if I roll 2, 4, 4, the 4's count as doubles? What do you mean by pre-designated dice, would you like to elaborate?

I like what I hear so far, though. Would you claim that the system is fairly balanced?

Sword & Sandals is pretty generic fantasy I think, but with a tone of southern Europe instead of middle/North. Think Rome/Greece

Every time you roll, one of your dice is designated as a 'Stunt Die'. This third die is used to determine your pool of points you can spend on Stunts (Expanded Combat/Magic options) if you get doubles on ANY of the three dice.

So if you roll 5, 6, and 6 on your Stunt die, your total roll is 17 and a Stunt worth 6 points to spend. (If the challenge was successful.)

Most people just make the 3rd die different so there's no confusion or cheating.

>Would you claim the system is fairly balanced?

I would say yes, though the options for magic is far different than what you'd expect coming out of 3.5 or Pathfinder. Less options for sure.

So 1, 1, 6 = 6 Stunt Points?

If the die that rolled a 6 was your pre-designated Stunt die, yes.

How lethal is the combat system?

As lethal as you want it to be, just about the same for any RPG. I have a monster creation guide that has flex for different levels of lethality. Feel free to use it.

The Stunt system is shit. The game comes to a screeching halt because the die roller has to decide what 'cool' thing they do. Eventually the players will just settle in on a thing that can be 'their thing' and do that every time to save time or try to eek out every last ounce of advantage they can from what they have gleaned about the monster.

Its flow poison.

There's massive HP bloat and it's difficult to ever die.

Not at all it id

I'll give you that, though once you get the stunts memorized it flows better. Newbies to the system will take about as long as a sorc trying to pick their spells does.

I don't think you're trying hard enough. My players get knocked around pretty hard. But again we only /just/ got a bestiary, so we've all had to use house-made monsters.

You're doin it wrong m9

Not able to really skim through the Core Rules right now, but is there multiclassing between the three classes to allow for concepts like Eldritch Knights or Arcane Tricksters?

There are no rules in the core system for cross-classing, no.

The close you get from it is something more like D&D 4e's Multiclass rules. Take a Feat... Get some shit abilities.

Btw, someone have the Blue Rose Preview Rules?

How does this compare to the Dragon Age Core? Seems like less content, though it has been bleached.

It's tightened up, but it lost a lot of polish. It also has no setting (Titansgrave is another book) so you're going in 100% bleached, yeah.

Yes, but only if the roll is a success.

I can't even call Titangrave a Setting Book, its 30 pages talking about the fucking setting and the rest about Wil's fucking dumb adventure.

Is it that bad? I'll have to pass on reading it then.

Going to bed, let this thread live and I'll dump a bunch of splat stuff.

Class in the game is more a measure of what talents are available to only you. Mages are the only class with spells. Only warriors can take certain weapon and armor talents. Rogues can sneak and thieve better than anyone. That's the basics. You can choose to improve and exemplify these differences to the extreme or spend your advancements on becoming something entirely new.

Multiclassing in this game is not about putting two classes together to make a character kinda okay at both classes. It is instead choosing talents and focuses not in your archetype's typical wheelhouse to make them kinda okay at several things. It's the same thing but different. You can become a master at one talent or a novice at three in the same span.

If you want to make an Eldrich Knight you'll probably want a mage with focuses on weapons as well as some utilitarian magic. Boost accuracy and dexterity on alternating levels to make sure you can hit and not be hit (10 advancements each by level 20). Since a mage can't specialize in armor or any weapon talents except unarmed you could become monk-like or choose to gain spells that encourage your melee lifestyle. Eventually you get Specializations (First one at Level 4) and one of these may be what you're looking for. By level ten you should have a seriously nimble, melee focused spellslinger with lateral building potential.

As a warrior the Eldrich Knight could be built by focusing his talents on armor training for resilience and alchemy for "spellcasting". His combat style is severely less dodgy than the previous build, choosing instead to absorb damage while exploding everything around him. As grenades have no weapon talents he is free to consider mastering a secondary weapon style or to take something scholarly. Again, by level ten there is plenty of lateral movement left.

Build A will never be great at weapons and armor and Build B will never be able to use a variety of spells.

You are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you for giving an explanation with supporting examples. It definitely allowed me to wrap my head around it.

I'm a little bummed that you can't make a full-fledged gish, but can see why they would want to limit it for the sake of class balance.

How would you market fAGE to a group of friends that have pretty much only have experience in 3.PF? What difficulties would there be in transitioning over?

No, but there will be in the next Sourcebook (fantasy age companion)

Its not bad, it mediocre. Like Mighty Number Nine.

Its too much Fantasy and too little Sci-Fi. Its not even He-man or Thundarr. Its more Eberron with laser pistols shove in 60 pages, without almost no information about the setting.

And you don't have much information about the present, so good luck figuring what plot you want to do.

The adventure have a chase scene, and the book don't have rules vehicles or chases. The rules for cybernetics are minimal, the equipment list is pitiful small, there only two new race (Saurians) and hybrids. And some new focus and backgrounds. And that it.

Its about 10 pages.

The rest its Wil's adventure and its pretty insipid and uninspired. And i don't going to pay to get the new one.

Green Ronin gone full happy merchant with this fucking book.

Titansgrave was never intended to be a setting book.
From the sell page:
>Titansgrave: The Ashes of Valkana
>An Adventure Series for Fantasy AGE
>It introduces an original science fantasy setting that mixes high magic and hi-tech. Written by a stellar team of award-winning designers, this companion book for the Fantasy AGE RPG gives you background info on Titansgrave, and all the adventures you saw on the show. The adventures include new encounters and options that will let you make the story your own.

Keywords: Adventure Series - Introduces original setting - gives you background info.

To their benefit there is more information in the book than is needed to run the adventure but the full map is stupidly misleading when they only detail three big cities. The real problem of Titansgrave though is people's expectations. See the word setting and thoughts turn to something thick, deep, and established like Faerun but forget even that world took years of magazine articles to build. As an introduction it is okay but I think people here would have preferred more world bits to play with than slapping science names on magic items.

TL;DR. The setting details in the book are all just enough to create background noise for the meat of the book, a seventy page adventure made of seven smaller adventures.

Just like to add that in addition to no vehicle listings is a new focus, Piloting. Cybernetics are magic items by a different name with less rules on how to equip or make them. Hybrid races are in the FAGE core book somewhere and are only referenced in Titansgrave. The adventure was written piecemeal by a dozen different writers, none of which were Wil Wheaton.

It's fucking terrible.

The setting is garbage, the adventure is one of the worst I have seen published, and it doesn't take advantage of the system at all. I'm not sure how it has anyone willing to say anything better than that.

No, the real problem of Titansgrave it is fucking shit. Its lots of writes, cost more the lots of better write setting books, don't expand the fucking system at all and Wil Wheaton worked in it.

And Wil Wheaton is listed as author and the adventure and setting have his fucking fingerprints EVERYWHERE.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive.

Here's all the splat-stuff I have, though it's not much paid content (Titansgrave is in there if you want it as well)

Here ya go senpai
sendspace.com/file/zddxo3

>Author: Wil Wheaton

You are fucking wrong.

Never said he didn't work on the book, just the adventure portion. Wheaton wrote the foreword himself and the first chapter with like four other writers. None of the adventure chapters are accredited to him.

That adventure is writes totally in Wil's DM style of Rail Roading from hell and boring, full of meme characters. The others guys only writes the rules part.

Who Wil properly never learned, at all.