Pathfinder General

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pets and Mounts Edition

>not riding a dragon into battle

N. Jolly's vigilante book playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Hrk1hl8uXVHazaiPOCvWsFUHX3PB6fQVd13tzguJTgE/edit?usp=sharing

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Old Bread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Feint
sendspace.com/file/w7a5o8
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43962651
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43962657
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43962761
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43963043
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43963499
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43963703
reddit.com/r/MEGA/comments/3aalif/out_of_html5_offline_storage_space/
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/silent-kill-combat
youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Alternative title:

"Find Gareth's Players and Bug Them for Info About His Game" Edition

Give me three reasons why this objectively isn't the best mount

>Spoiler: you can't

>not riding a dragon into battle

Well, I'm riding a dragon in bed, does that count?

>boring
>can't fly
>can't pounce

Are you ready for game night this weekend, /pfg/?

>able to fit thematically in virtually any setting imaginable
>pegasi are horses with wings
>can bite/kick the shit out of someone, not to mention trample

>pegasi are horses with wings

lol have fun investing into two useless feats to get one to carry you in the air with a 30ft. fucking fly speed.

Pegasi are monotremes so you can breed them and have them back in action far quicker than a horse.

Speaking of feats, you don't have to invest any at all to be able to ride a horse or have one as an animal companion, so that's instantly another plus as to why horses are a superior mount :^)

>Pegasi are monotremes
I was about to say "You're making shit up" but holy shit you're right./

Pegasi lay eggs?

>Pegasi are monotremes

>2 out of 6 of our members can't make it tonight.
>we're at the literal doorstep of the BBEG

That fly speed makes you immune to everything that doesn't fly or have ranged attacks, that's a pretty fucking big deal.

This chick is banging.

>30ft. fly speed
>big deal

Nevermind bows, a fighter invested with a fucking net can ground you.

If your DM is in any way clever, he'd have relegated those two to be guarding the group against incoming reinforcements while you guys deal with the BBEG, but that's just me.

Oh that's right, I forgot nets have infinite range.

40-60 ft. actually with a 2 feat investment.

>2 feats on a net

two feats on throwing weapons. Like javelins, throwing axes, etc.

Wolves are the best companions

Either way I'm not trying to argue that Pegasi are best mount: it's still the horse.

>Universally thematically appropriate
>Cheap to buy one
>No feat investment necessary to be able to have one as an animal companion
>Fast and strong, flying isn't necessary when you're able to plow through your enemies on the ground

>Cheap to buy one
You can get one for free with the Nomadic Campaign Trait actually. Funny thing is that it never specifies what kind of horse you'll get so you can go ahead and grab a heavy horse if you want something that can carry your burdens or wear armor

Gareth is a decent rules writer and a mediocre as fuck fluff, web story, and novel writer.

There's absolutely no reason to think Gareth would be an amazing god-tier GM or something.

That only compounds my point: practically anyone can get a horse if they wanted, sometimes even for free

She's also Neutral Evil.

I need a solid, what is the best path of war discipline for two handed weaponry?

Probably Primal Fury, or Iron Tortoise if you're a zwei sentinel.

Broken Blade.

Use a sansetsukon and murder enemies with Steel Flurry Strike.

Touhou poster is back I see

Going initiator's soul aegis and just wanted to know, cheers mates.

This is the consensus, yes.

Wat?

Has anyone played a cute blinkling yet? What was their doggie parent like?

Fuck I just realized the Gria race in FFTA2 were dragon-girls instead of bat-girls or demon-girls. How did I fuck that up.

Yup. Pegasi lay eggs.

Except Absalom. Because Paizo and JJ are speciallllll

d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Feint

>When feinting against a non-humanoid you take a –4 penalty.

Why is it so much more difficult to feint an aasimar, a tiefling, a ganzi, an ifrit, an oread, a sylph, or an undine, even if the feint-user and the target are of the same race?

Does feinting need to be even worse?

It should be non-biped.

>not investing into intimidate instead
You only have yourself to blame

BEHOLD! I HAVE BROUGHT YOU A BIPED!

This chick is banging.

Size is a different matter!

Fat, throbbing knot.

Behold! I have brought you a medium biped!

That's good enough to box against, good enough to feint.

???

When I made a class centered around nonlethal combat, I created a mechanic called Daunt, which was a nonlethal version of negative levels. It included this text.

>For Daunt Levels to impose a penalty or the staggered condition, the subject must be capable of using Language-Dependent skills. Though this requirement may seem strange, it prevents animals, savage beasts, berserkers, or those of severe mental impairment from being daunted as they do not properly understand the concept of a hopeless fight. It also allows intelligent undead and awakened constructs to be Daunted. There is no limit to how many daunt levels someone can suffer, but the penalty does not exceed their hitdice.

That's the easiest way to define sapient intelligence in d20 in a mechanics sense.

Pretty sure the kangaroo just kills you if you try to box it seriously.

Fucking bullshit monster races arbitrarily more powerful than the rest of us instead of working for features

Where are the rules for Athanatism?

Your power is the higher level cap.

Don't believe in a god, easy.

Athanatism can be found in Psionics Augmented: Seventh Path:
sendspace.com/file/w7a5o8

It is a very strangely-balanced discipline. On one hand, a large portion of its powers are useless in the majority of scenarios, since they are only useful against incorporeal creatures.

On the other hand, Bring Forth the Soul (conduit 2) can force the soul of a dead creature to return, answer questions, and possibly be destroyed by the manifester forever. Corporeal Haunt (dread 3 and psion/wilder 4) can create eternally-lasting, powerful haunts that the manifester is immune to, including Ghastly Whispers. Moan of the Sorrowful Dead (dread 2, psion/wilder 3, and psychic warrior 3) is one of the best psionic save-or-lose powers available, forcing a 10-foot-radius of enemies to flee.

The conduit discipline's class features are also poorly-worded, roughly on par with Psionics Augmented: Psion Focused Disciplines. Hand of the Grave at 14th-level is practically an instant loss against most enemies, and the Straddling Both Worlds comes at 1st-level by RAW rather than 20th-level as it is supposed to. (That is a new one for you, Gareth.)

A few other issues with Seventh Path have been brought up here:
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43962651
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43962657
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43962761
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43963043
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43963499
archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43962389/#43963703

I've a question about the trove on Mega - I know this isn't /g/ but I could use a hand. Trying to download it in chrome gives me an error saying it ran out of html5 offline storage. Cleared the cache and that didn't help either.

Tried again with firefox with the Mega addon, but it crapped out at 85% converted on a 500kbps connection after rejecting the addon for some reason.

So, those of you on Chrome/Edge, how did you do it?

Just pick a brawler, step it up.

He's a hack and a faggot complainer.
From what I've seen he doesn't even know how to GM.

How about we stick with "Intelligent beings with a recognizably humanoid shape"?

Whoa, whoa, explain yourself.

that am barbarian build can have a pouncing horse or whatever

Your google-fu is weak, grasshopper

>ok, i tried all of these things and none of them worked, but i figured out something on my own. when you download something thru mega it puts it into a special folder on your hard-drive that can be deleted by navigating to it. if you are downloading multiple large files, it doesn't always delete the old one when you move on to the next and you will run out of space. combine that with the steps from the other commenter about deleting the cookie and you should be golden.

>for me the file was saved to

>c:\Users[username]\AppData\local\google\chrome\user data\default\file system\005\p\00

>(your location may vary slightly, i don't know, dig around in this area till you find the huge file clogging your system and that will be your folder)

>if you are running out of space it is probably a large file, while the file in this folder will not have the same name as the file you are downloading, the size should be the dead giveaway, delete it and continue your massive downloads :)

>(unless your single download is too big, then you'll need the app)

Source: reddit.com/r/MEGA/comments/3aalif/out_of_html5_offline_storage_space/

Download it folder by folder, rather than all at once. That's the issue.

All right, thanks anons.

I'm about to play a Pathfinder game and wanna try out a druid, but I'm really new to the game system, so I've a few questions regarding them:
1) Is a shapeshifting specialized druid viable? (Think 4e druid paragon path or the WoW feral type)
2) Are druids a gamebreaking class? (I've heard about this being a general problem with casters in Pathfinder.)

Pic related would be fun as fuck to play as a druid, though not sure how to make the evil alignment thing work with one (let's be honest, anything that looks like that is NOT there to tuck you in before bedtime.)

And you've witnessed this have you?

d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/silent-kill-combat

>You are quite adept at killing your prey without making noise or alerting others.

>Prerequisite(s): Stealth 12 ranks; assassinate advanced slayer talent or ninja master trick.

>Benefit: When you kill a creature during a surprise round, you can attempt a Stealth check, opposed by the Perception checks of potential observers, to prevent them from noticing your action and subsequently identifying you as the assailant.

Friendly reminder that you need to be a high-level ninja or slayer and take a feat to kill people stealthily.

Or be a Sussatore from DSP, which while a cool ability, I don't really get why it's locked into a PRC.

Silent Blade (Su): The presence of the sussurratore
muffles the sounds of any battle in which they par-
ticipate, stifling the normal ring and din of combat.
When the sussurratore rolls initiative (or after the
surprise round, if there is one), she may also make a
Stealth check. Creatures not in combat with her must
succeed at a Perception check (DC equal to the sussur-
ratore’s Stealth check) in order to hear the sounds of
the battle, applying the usual penalties for distance
or distraction. This replaces the usual DC to hear the
sounds of battle. This ability muffles the sounds of
battle within medium range (100 ft. plus 10 ft. per
class level) of the sussurratore; combat outside of this
range may be heard normally.

Or a Rogue. Which does kind of cover all the sneaky kill options, a raging 2H Barbarian isn't exactly the most subtle thing in a room.

Oh, don't forget, you still have to deal with literally all the normal penalties that you'd face with this check. The feat doesn't eliminate those at all. They're still in full effect.

AKA: It's a feat that requires 12th level and does literally nothing, AND has restrictive requirements for it doing said nothing.

Citation needed.

He's right, don't you want to be in 2hu's weeb Planescape games instead?

Alright friends, need an idea.

I've been playing an Inquisitor that is hunting a bloodmage from his homeland. The DM wants to make him a boss, and we're thinking a bloodrager would be good. What bloodline would you suggest to have on him for a party of 8 level 3s to fight?

Do you want him to be good or an inconvenience for the party? Abberant could be interesting because it can get a goat with a feat and it gets reach. Arcane is actually good.

Have any of you played, or played with an intelligent undead PC? What was it like? Did you get around the inherently evil thing or roll with it?

Well, he's not the main villain (got his powers from the Big Bad) but he's responsible for everything we've had to deal with so far (demon wolves, bandits turning into giant abominations, a party member being sacrificed for some ritual) so we think he needs to be a challenge.

Go look up the old 3.5 book Encyclopedia Arcane Blood Magic. It's got decent, if somewhat potentially high power, options for blood magic.

If I had time, hell yes. I want a good lighthearted romp through autistically crafted combat encounters and progressing through bizzare social encounters and molesting fluffy tail.

>8 level 3's against a single bloodrager

Prepare for a boring encounter that will without a doubt be a one-sided roflstomp.

I hope you like absolutely strict, unfliching, autistic and incorrect assumptions about how rules work!

How mean-spirited would it be to use this to distort the party high-Knowledge character's "recollected knowledge" of an NPC?

Lords of the Night, page 53:
>MYRA’S OCCULTATION
>Discipline: Telepathy [mind-affecting]
>Level: cryptic 2, dread 2, psion/wilder 3, tactician 3
>Display: None
>Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
>Range: Personal
>Target: You
>Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
>Saving Throw None Power Resistance No
>Power Points: cryptic 3, dread 3, psion/wilder 5, tactician 5

>You distort the way others perceive and remember you, making it hard for creatures to recall knowledge of you and your kind. Creatures attempting Knowledge checks to identify you and your traits (such as abilities or weaknesses) suffer a -4 penalty to do so. This does not affect Knowledge checks made to research you or information related to you (such as at a public library) or other forms of information-gathering related to you (such as Sense Motive or Diplomacy checks). Creatures that fail Knowledge checks to identify you and your traits learn false information instead of learning nothing.

>Augment: You may augment this power in the following ways:

>1. For every additional power point you spend, the penalty to Knowledge checks increases by 2.

>2. If you spend 2 additional power points, you may determine the form of misinformation learned by creatures failing their Knowledge checks.

A 8th-level cryptic or dread with this and Overchannel can spend 3 + 5 + 2 = 10 power points to impose a -14 penalty on Knowledge checks to and dictate the type of disinformation any hapless Knowledge-users receive.

We fully expect some people to die by the time we make it to him.

I think the assumption is that you can do it even if you don't have cover or concealment. Like hide in plain sight except it works for both you and the dude you killed.

No, really, why do you think that?

>>can't pounce
Fuck you, my horse is a 10th level Barbarian.

So like most GMs but with more fluffy tails, then?

Dungeoncrasher reworded for pathfinder, yes or very yes?

Extreme amounts of yes.

[Yes Intensifies]

youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

>Take dungeoncrasher as is exactly
>Still works

Mm. that was hard.

What other feats are excellent?

Fuck a cactus.

For that matter, it would also work on characters with mediocre Knowledge modifiers. Upon meeting the occulted psionicist, they could be asked to make Knowledge checks to see what they know about said psionicists, and then promptly receive DC 10 "common knowledge" that is actually distorted disinformation.

I am not skilled at crafting combat encounters in Pathfinder at all. I was always far more capable of doing so in D&D 4e, wherein I had honed the art of "each major encounter brings the party to the jaws of defeat, only for the characters to subsequently achieve a heroic comeback."

I try to build Pathfinder combat encounters on behalf a Planescape-running GM and have taken to giving monsters counters or counter-equivalents (e.g. dragons with Emergency Force Sphere), but I am still not confident in the mechanical integrity of these battles.

I have never single-handedly GMed Pathfinder in the past. I do plan on GMing Pathfinder in the immediate future, using a heavily modified, expanded, one-on-one version of the "Temple of Empyreal Enlightenment" premade scenario. I would offer to run it for others one-on-one, but since I am tailoring this adventure for a lone 8th-level wizard at heavy optimization, anyone else would have to build a similarly high-powered character, and that is too much to ask for a brief adventure.

The image in is not a good representation of my tokens. MapTool looks quite swell when zoomed-in but poor when zoomed out. This is what one of my full-resolution tokens would look like.

>Is a shapeshifting specialized druid viable? (Think 4e druid paragon path or the WoW feral type)
>Pic related would be fun as fuck to play as a druid
Do you have access to 3rd party material? Because Spheres of Power's Shifter class would probably be the best option for pic related if so. Druids have to pick an animal and be that animal, Shifters (and anyone with the Alteration sphere, really, including the Druid archetype that gains Sphere casting... but Shifters do it best) get to pick and choose different traits and body parts and so on.

Reword it for pathfinder then fuck yourself, buddy.
I think "Butthurt Resistance" is an excellent feat for you

But bring butthurt is your favorite pasttime.
Won't reword it, stop smearing yourself with shit.

>But bring butthurt is your favorite pasttime.
Wow. So butthurt you can't even type. Why don't you lay down...on your stomach of course.

Don't tell me how to lie down or how to type! I'll type with my butt if I wnt to argyjgg gbxkdfj it tb

You're not my real mom!

Did you mean to post the necromancer?

This is more for "killing people while passing in the street"