MTG Modern General

Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>How long have you been playing Modern?
>What are you playing and why?
>Any EMN card that could slot in your deck?
>What EMN card(s) do you feel will be big in Modern?
Link to EMN spoiler:
>magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/eldritch-moon

The updated Modern Metagame is below.

Other urls found in this thread:

modernnexus.com/topdecks/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-02-16-naya-zoo/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The overall and paper Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Modern deck primers link:
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Does WUx Superfirends with Deploy the Gatewatch seem viable?

I feel like you have to put the big walkers in your deck to make Deploy worth it, but they would be useless if you don't draw Deploy

>How long have you been playing Modern?
Since 2011.

>What are you playing and why?
Various, because I don't want to get hated out at my LGS.

>Any EMN card that could slot in your deck?
I'm not particularly impressed with the set. Maybe Eldritch Evolution will end up in a deck. I dunno.

>What EMN card(s) do you feel will be big in Modern?
None. I don't think anything will reach Collected Company or Nahiri levels of play.

If mana cost isn't an objection and situational functionality isn't an issue, what's the best stand-in for Divining Top in modern?

In terms of reordering the top of your library. Would that just be scry? Or is Grim Flayer the new best option?

Why is nobody talking about how insane this card is?

>1 thought sieze
>2 collective brutality, discarding a land, an instant, and a creature, killing their first creature, discarding their best spell, and gaining some life buffer.
>3 hymn to tourach thanks for the delerium.

W Tron with Deploy is about the best the card will ever get. Cycle stars for the white, 4 Karn, 4 Ugin, you're probably gonna hit one, and if you hit both you're golden.

>People stills understimate this card
Moar for me

>White Weenie will be good this time! I swear!

Can't wait for this card to be trash so we can have this same argument in September or October.

>Worse than Guardian of Thraben is insane
Sure it is.

>Look, all those who said the same of collected company and Nahiri

White weenie will never be good in Modern because you have no way of bullying your opponent's mana base by abusing your own consistency. There is no Wasteland, there is no Rishidan Port.

CoCo and Nahiri win games. That Thalia isn't going to win games.

As soon as coco was spoiled I said it was going to be bonkers.

I wasn't around for Nahiri, but every spoiler season we have people decrying sleepers. Anyone can guess what number I'm thinking of 1 out of a 100 times.

>Veeky Forums Being bad at magic recent history:
>Amulet Bloom is such a meme
>CoCo is 4 Mana and is just cmc 3 or less, is unusable
>TKS and the new eldrazi are a meme, fucking casuls
>Nahiri Jeskai is bad and don't win tournaments

What's the best card-draw for green?
Harmonize?

Is this card going to be retarded with Grim Flayer, or what?

On turn three it's either a Rampant Growth with upside or a Cutlivate with HELLA upside.

On turn four it becomes a potentially better Thran Dynamo.

Before damage I'll Bolt your Grim Flayer.

>The best made plans of mice and men

>I threw a dart and hit a bullseye three times in a row!

>Obviously the last 100 missed shots don't mean anything, and I'll hit a bullseye this next time!

Hey, there's this thing called the lottery I think you should check out.

Nice it's the dies to removal meme

If your Grim Flayer dies or gets countered, that Animist's Awakening is a really REALLY bad card.

Actually, that brings up a question.

If Bolt resolves and ends up being the fourth card type in a graveyard, does Flayer die?

I know Delirium only works on with your graveyard, so let's say for some bizarre corner case reason you're bolting your own Flayer.

>>Yeah, but one piece of your two card combo dies to removal, making the other one useless.

>Nice meme sperglord ahahahahahahah

Pretty sure it would die. It works with Goyf because */* is a characteristic defining ability, while Delirium deals with layers.

>turning on spell mastery is a "combo"
>muh doom blades
Veeky Forums is not good at magic, part XVCCII

Anyone have any thoughts on building a RG Valakut deck with either Through the Breach or Scapeshift as your win condition alongside Prime Times?
I've seen a fair amount of both versions of the deck, and playsets of Scapeshift and Through the Breach are relatively similar in price, so I don't know which to go with

Get the Scapeshifts, it's more consistent and allows you to turn your deck into other Scapeshift variants if you ever feel like it.

>If my Grim Flayer resolves and its trigger sees 2 instants/sorceries and 2 lands I'll be able to ramp 2 land off this 3 mana spell!

Like nigger just no this is not how you build decks. Do you want to beat your opponent down or do you want to ramp? You can't hope to do both as well as a focused could do either.

Yeah cause you haven't played any cards other than Grim Flayer because that's how Magic works

You have your turn 1 to cast Thoughtseize. Probably Duress in your case because you're clearly poor. Either way you're banking an awful lot on getting lucky with the Flayer trigger. You want 50% of it to be land, when only ~40% of your deck is land.

bump

Glimpse of nature

I'm not even the guy who pointed out the synergy, I'm just some guy who likes Grim Flayer
He's gonna be played one way or another

Have the Spike fucks broken Scapeshift yet? If a deck with 28 repeatable double Bolts in it isn't T1 I'll eat my hat.

as someone who exclusively plays burn I really should tell you how anti synergistic it is in the deck.

You are never gonna cast this thing before turn 3.
You can't use your Lavamancers if you want to cast this thing at any reasonable speed.
It doesn't have haste so your opponent can just path or terminate it.

The only real benefit to this dude is that he lets you draw three cards, and while that is great and all, having to wait to cast him is gonna suck ass.

Eat a hat. All Valakut decks are Tier 2 or below.
>Temur Scapeshift
>BTL Scapeshift
>GR Titanshift
>GRw Breach

Replace your 2 Lavamancers with him.

No nigga you just don't understand.

>replace free repeatable spot removal with a dumb beatstick that doesn't have haste
How about no

Not all burn lists run Lavamancer anyway so don't act like you need them.

Hymn of Emmy is actually pretty good, but you are fucking retarded if you think Collective brutality is anything other than complete fucking jank.

If this ends up being good it will be in UR, which can live with something being primarily a way to replenish your hand and a threat second. In burn, it is probably destined to be a Vexing-Devil-level cock tease.

It's a 6 CMC spell, so not without an unfair to play it.

Are there reliable ways to fill your graveyard with lands by turn 4?

>implying I, the user who pointed out the synergy, do not own a playset of foil french Lorwyn Thoughtseizes

I scoff at thee. Ha! Ha ha!

All I'm saying is that in a situation where you can manipulate the top cards of your deck, Animist's Awakening is the most efficient green ramp spell printed.

Grim Flayer is already a card worth playing and in the course of doing things you already want to be doing, it's really good.

If this saw no play, Grim Flayer won't.

>Insert Dimir Cutpurse image

Loam decks will want it to sculpt their hand
In fact it's really good for modern dredge decks in general

But Dimir Cutpurse is unplayable garbage

It's a better hit trigger than Flayer.

>costs 1 more mana
>doesn't get bigger or have trample
>has a completely different effect
>somehow comparable.

Yeah you're right Top is just shit

it's shit m8

A 3cmc card that dies to bolt without doing anything and most Modern decks operate just fine with ~4 lands, turn 3 is way too late for an effect like this to be great.

Dredge, but that's not exactly what dredge is about. Maybe Gitrog monster can make this card work.

>Amulet Bloom is such a meme
It was, the ban was stupid

>CoCo is 4 Mana and is just cmc 3 or less, is unusable
CoCo isn't what makes the deck work. A lack of stack interaction and efficient sweepers in the format make it work. CoCo is a card that gets more and more valuable the more shitty the format is.

>TKS and the new eldrazi are a meme, fucking casuls
They were and still are. The sol lands/Eye (and Chalice in Legacy) are the engines behind them, Eldrazi are worthless without their busted toys.

>Nahiri Jeskai is bad and don't win tournaments
It doesn't.

Maybe some sort of BG rock deck with Grim Flayer, Gitrog Monster Loaming Shaman and some sort of finisher to go along with Splendid Reclamation

Oh man the days following release are gonna be glorious though
>Playing Jund vs new Shit & Taxes
>His turn, 3 lands, taps out for New Thalia
>My turn, play a Cliffs tapped, remove Thalia for 1/2 mana

Veeky Forums pls

Why would you play a land before removing Thalia

To rub it in. Enters tapped regardless

Why would you value rubbing it in over representing a bolt

BW tokens has the powerlevel of T2 decks. Prove me wrong

You are making a claim, we have no business proving it wrong until you actually demonstrate why it's not wrong.

r8 my meme

Cliffs enters tapped on 3 regardless. My point is that when New Thalia comes in, mana and creature speed doesn't matter any more.

You know exactly why this deck is garbage.

Yeah it's called Scapeshift and it starts turn 3.

because its not Affinity, jund or burn?

What are you even talking about familia

Because it doesn't have Salvage Titan you big silly!

>Scapeshift into 4 Valakuts turn 3
>Splendid Reclamation back four lands into 16 Bolt triggers
It's really a completely different deck than normal control Scapeshift, and solves the issue of running Prismatic Omen or not which normally doesn't really contribute to the Scapeshift plan.

Would a card like this help to make Delver a viable deck again? Or is the downside too large to justify its use?

Ironically it is much weaker against Ad Nauseam combo than old thalia is. I'd say one of the best cards in the set is Collected Brutality.

My next question then is what advantages does RG titanshift have over dedicated scapeshift decks with blue for cryptics and other stuff?
Am I better off just building the blue version, or is RG better in the current meta?

RG is better in a meta without countermagic. That includes shit as dumb as Ad Nauseam's Pact of Negation and Delver's Deprive. It's much more reliable and fast.

Consider all Tier 1-3 decks, which of these are Modern playable?

Hymrakul looks like it could be fun in the SB for BGx if Jeskai Nahiri ever becomes a thing and can legitimately get a card advantage plan. Its easy Cryptic bait, and there seems to be merit to having multiple ways to attack their hand in the long game rather than drawing with something like Painful Truths.

Eldrazi Order is going to be hilarity when it gets going. All hail Rhino Pod Mk2.

Turn Aside is already Modern-legal from Scars of Mirrodin and it is unplayable.

Collected Brutality seems like a great sideboard card for ad nauseam. Its effectively thoughtseize in all relevant matchups except tron, which is already great, but also has greater utility against infect and death/taxes, our two worst matchups.

Bedlam Reveler is no Treasure Cruise, but I think someone's going to figure out how to make it essentially the same thing.

>blessed alliance
>selfless spirit
>thalia
>whispers of emrakul
>bedlam reveler
>eldritch evolution
>grim flayer
>tamiyo
Are the ones I think have potential.

Beldam Reveler looks like it could be some gas for Burn, Im not convinced it's worth a slot for the best case scenario, or even that it's where Burn wants to be, but it could qualify as a curve topper that Burn has really been lacking.

Awful in the opening hand though, so like Vision, it'll probably be SB bait or a straight brick.

Thalia and Tamiyo

Its a clunkier, slower, more situational, sorcery speed Treasure Cruise with effectively double the cost.

Cruises problem was always being effectively U cost at Instant speed, Reveler being at best RR at Sorcery speed, with the discard added to it makes it significantly clunkier.

Cruise is a sorcery, dude.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/12-02-16-naya-zoo/

What's the cheapest way to improve my Naya Zoo? I'm already planning on purchasing a playset of Path of Exile.

Oh I'm an idiot I was mixing it with Brainstorm, ignore that part.

Selfless Spirit, Thalia Heretic Cathar, Imprisoned in the Moon, Eldritch Evolution, Splendid Reclamation, Grim Flayer, Spell Queller.

These are the cards that lot of people are going to try.

Fuck off.

This is just my two cents, but I think you should get rid of Woolly Thoctar and replace that slot with expidites

>>How long have you been playing Modern?
3 years

>>What are you playing and why?
D&T, because I sold everything else besides my LGC list.

>>Any EMN card that could slot in your deck?
Thalia, possibly Sigarda's thingy in a different shell. I don't really care. I just show up to farm store credit.

>>What EMN card(s) do you feel will be big in Modern?
I don't care, t-b-q-h-f-a-m

Wow. What a quality post. Maybe just kill yourself next time you think about posting again.

your format is the dumpster where non-legacy-viable cards go when Standard rotates. I freefarm you because half of you idiots don't know how Leonin Arbiter works and the other half can't beat Flicker-effects.

Lmao whatever makes you feel better friend

Legacy is so bad you gotta make yourself feel better by coming here and being a fedora Lord? Sad dude

Do you think a card like this would be good to help make modern feel more like legacy? It would ensure that there is more diversity in decks beyond aggro.

First of all, fuck off
Second of all, modern doesn't need to feel more like legacy, they are two distinct formats

No. You'd need force so everyone can get blue balls when their wombo combo gets countered and both decks durdle to time. Legacy isn't all that great

> when their wombo combo gets countered and both decks durdle to time.
Almost never happens vs. combo.