Riddle me this, mister

Riddle me this, mister.

Once there was a farmer who wanted a cabbage for his dinner. But the farmer who grew cabbage would trade them only for rice, and the rice farmer lived a hundred furlongs from the farmer.
The rice farmer would trade only for fruits, but the orchard was another hundred furlongs beyond that, and the orchard tender only wished for onion.
But the onion farm was another five hundred furlongs past that. And so the farmer hitched up his trusty workhorse and went to get a cabbage.

How many hundreds of furlongs did the farmer travel for his cabbage?

However far away that cabbage farmer is. Kill his bitch ass and take his farm. Now you have all the cabbages you want.

None. He is the cabbage farmer.

Fur too long.

But user, what if the farmer WAS the cabbage farmer?

And why do you say that?

The i have no issues and this stupid exercise went nowhere fast. I suppose i'll kill that rice farmer though and take his shit as rice is pretty good when done up right.

Found the wise man.

Depends on which farmer it is, ergo anywhere between 0 and 14 hundred furlongs.

The fuck is a furlong? Can you convert it to meters?

No, faggot, you answer THIS.

In the night, three thieves as quiet as the desert sands stole the emperor's crown.

Each was an honorable thief, and so they split the crown in three, and began the journey back to their lair. But on the journey home, they stumbled across a farmer out on errand, who recognized them instantly as thieves. And so the thieves promised the farmer a quarter of the crown in exchange for his silence.

And so, with a single motion, one of the thieves took the crown split in three and made it become the crown split on four. How did they do this?

Just an assumption. It was never stated how far the cabbage farmer was, only that he traded only for rice. If the cabbage farmer wanted cabbage he still needs to go to his field and get one, hence the work horse, since who uses a work horse to travel vast distances

A furlong is roughly 201 meters

660 feet.

I'd assume with a jeweler's saw.

They put another split in the emperors head.

They split it into twelve pieces, each person getting three pieces of twelve each.

He broke off a fourth of his own piece. He keeps one twelfth of the original crown for himself and gives the rest to the farmer. You never said that the crown's for pieces were all the same size.

>You never said that the crown's for pieces were all the same size.
Yes he did.

The thieves are honourable, and they promised the farmer a quarter of the crown, not a fourth piece of the crown.

1400 furlongs, to travel to the Onion farm and back

> wizard gives a riddle and then just pisses off
Fucken wizards

>single motion

With a katana, then.

Collect the three pieces of crown and put them together, and then make one cut a quarter of the distance down the pieces of crown, like pic related.

He did get a quarter of the crown. He got 3/4 of the one thief's piece, which is 3/12 of the original crown, leaving 9/12 for the thieves to divide amongst themselves.

That's how the thief "with a single motion, one of the thieves took the crown split in three and made it become the crown split on four". Or in four. The thief split the crown into four pieces, but he only said that the farmer's piece was a quarter of the original, not that they were all the same size.

Was this right?

That's a long way to go. How would he get back in time for dinner?

Assuming you have any needed materials on hand, how would you solve this?

>I do hope that you brought adequate preparation upon this pilgrimage, for you must place these into the opening before you;

There are five soldiers standing upon a field. Together, they form a mighty blade which cannot cut.
First is the weakest one, thin and short, and capable of little alone.
Second stands taller than the first, and if he is rich, he wears a band of gold or silver,
The third is tallest of the lot, and he is awfully rude when left alone.
Fourth is the leader, for he points out the path.
Fifth is the shortest and stoutest of them all, but he is the one who gives the others their strength.

Who are they?

It's a fucking hand, describing fingers and thumb, starting with the pinky

Correct. You put your hand in the opening, and there's a lever in there.

he ate his workhorse.

But 1400 furlongs is 175 miles, which a horse can run/gallop in around 6 hours, so just leave now and deal with it.

This is based on a false assumption about barter based economys. The farmer who wants cabbage asks for cabbage and is given it because in the future when the cabbage farmer wants rice, he will be given it.

The modern, "one for one" trading system does not apply.

Fingers, starting with the pinky.

>killing your horse with a 175mile dead sprint.

Then you get more meat, boy, where's the problem with that?

So you now have a cabbage and tough as shit horse meat and no way of getting to another farm to get other foodstuffs barring walking for days on end.

Congratulations.

But I got the cabbage

This guy knows his stuff.

We should have a riddle board

>op never stated if anyone is right
That's fucked up. I'm still saying the cabbage farmer is the original guy who wanted a cabbage.

Ding! Correct. Notive how there isn't a distance for how far away the cabbage farmer.

bruh

I AM A GHOST
IT IS FORTOLD!

Yes, the intent is that he was the cabbage farmer.

Notice he gets his workhorse (to farm some cabbage) and not his riding horse (to ride to the horizon to get some onions)

>riddle thread

Oh, good, I can poll you guys for some good sphinx riddles.

The farmer didn't have to travel anywhere because the nation instituted free trade agreements that allowed merchants to move goods within the nation for no cost.

two years later the farmer was homeless ebcause some other farmer grew his crops for a lot less and undercut his prices.

I WAS TOLD THERE WOULD BE NO MATHS

> implying the pinky is the weakest finger
> implying the hand makes a blade

Riddle me this.

An old man lies on his deathbed. At the same time, his much younger wife is giving birth. The old man writes a new will, and in it he states the following:

"If my newborn child is a boy, give him 2/3rds of my possessions and the rest o my wife. If it's a girl, give her 1/3rds and my wife 2/3rds."

The man dies and shortly after the the wife give birth a twins. One boy and one girl. How the possessions of the old man should be divided between the three of them?

It's a fifty/fifty split for the children because the lawyers gave up on figuring this out.

Incorrect, though I salute your egalitarian train of thought.

kind of this.
consider each twin to have access to 50% of his inheritance, but then each half is divided as prescribed in the will. Essentially consider his wealth in sixths, but with the same numerators as in the original.

So, the boy gets 2/6, with the wife getting 1/6, and the girl gets 1/6, with the wife getting an additional 2/6.
Simplifies to 1/2 to wife, 1/3 to boy, 1/6 to girl.

This is also incorrect.

>old man literally dying nine months later was able to concieve healthy children

I dont think the kids were his but sure, user

Give the wife nothing and the children their respective thirds. The wife gets the 'rest'.

Maybe he froze his sperm? 9 months is also pretty long time when health is concerned.

One more try before I spoil the answer.

Depends on the first one born. The second one gets nothing.

The boy gets 2/3rds of the inheritance, the wife 1/3rd and the girl is sent to a monastery. You have to preserve the wealth of the dynasty.

Ok, here it comes. The gist of the will is the following: The Boy gets double the amount the Wife gets and the Wife gets double the amount the Girl gets. So the inheritance will be split in seven. The Girl gets 1/7, the Wife 2/7 and the Boy 4/7.

Even split, 1/3 each.
Alternatively, the wife gets all of it because newborns aren't old enough to own property.

toppest kek

Guy jumps out of a 20-storey building, hits concrete as fast as is possible, and is uninjured.

How?

He jumped from the first floor.

Jumped out the
dammit.

God dammit.

Hivemind.

A 30 m tall tree is felled on a perfectly circular island with 10 m radius. How is this possible without the tree touching water?

last one born is the newest.

First m is meters, second m is miles.

It lands on an adjacent island

>mixing SI with imperials

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

The solution is simpler.

its on one side of the island and is felled across it. Its branches are beefy enough too hold the last few metres above the water.

The island is surrounded by sheer cliffs, meaning it wont touch water unless it goes off the edge.

cut it down and have it fall on a long-ass boat. That, or cut it down in sections, though that seems odd.

The tree is felled during winter, when the water is frozen.

The tree stump is more than 10m tall. And then that bit is cut down.

That counts as touching water.

Your riddle is shit, ice is still frozen water.

Unless you have something on the ice, making right.
Its a riddle answer though. It works.

Pretty sure that tree would've died a looooong time ago if it got that cold.

Not really. I live where it gets that cold. We have fuckloads of treees. And 100km north of me its even colder. And they too, have trees.
North of that theres just water though.

As the guy approaches speed of light time ceases to flow for him, thus he never experiences the collision.

Meanwhile, the concrete eveporates under the force of a shit ton of nuclear bombs.

Sweet southern child.

It simply should have been phrased like this.

A 30 m tall tree is felled on a perfectly circular island with 10 m radius. How is this possible without the tree getting wet?

The thieves did not physically split the crown. It's the way it is worded.

Orginally, the thieves -split- the crown between themselves, like dividing the share of the loot. They would all take 1/3 of what the crown was worth when sold. They -split- it IN three (as in, the crown was split while IN the group of three, 1 share to each person).

When the farmer came, the thief, with a single motion, divided the share of the crown on the four people. He split four shares -ON- four people. Just like you 'spend money ON food', the crown is split ON (or between) the four people.

na you dink, somebody already posted it, he grabbed the 3 peices and broke off the portion from all 3 at the same time.

A dnd party played by hipsters

>elf bard
>human wizard (possibly with headband of intellect)
>half-orc barbarian
>human paladin
>dwarf cleric

They call their group "The Blade" and exclusively use bludgeoning weapons.

A hundred furlongs.

Barter is long since obsolete by existence of money.

Match riddles are the shittiest riddles.

>give her 1/3rds
The old man is called out on his autism and nobody gets anything

how do you cut something into 3rds in one motion?

After a long arduous journey to the centre of the dungeon, you stand before its final, diabolical riddle. Three identical-looking doors, one of which leads to the fabled treasure, the other two to certain doom. As you move to open one of the doors, you are startled by the voice of a disembodied genie, who tells you "stop! I have seen what lies beyond these doors! Behold as I reveal to you the painful death that would have awaited you had you chosen this one!" and with those words, one of the doors you are not standing in front of creaks open, causing a well-hidden trap door to collapse in front of it. You have to agree that, had you opened that door, it would have spelled a painful death for you. "Now that I have shown you this," says the genie, "are you certain that you wish to continue on the path that you have chosen? Or would you rather open the remaining door?"

Well?

Open the remaining door.

It's the monty hall problem. Our odds of picking a trapped door were 66, so it's more likely that our current door is trapped, and thus our odds are better if we switch to the remaining door.

It's a cardboard crown

Just to the cabbage farmer. He already had rice.

The pinky should be a Halfling Bard

Push all the doors open with my collapsible 20 foot pole and take the one that doesn't have a pit in front of it.