EDH/Commander General

Underrated Lands edition

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-jeskai-memelord/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/extreme-budget-no-scoping-under-5-without-lands/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-brago-king-eternal-edh-commander-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-dredge-tyrant-budget-dredge-edh-20/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-jeskai-memelord/
Was thinking of something like this in the list. I'm low on protection other than counterspells, and don't have the 1cmc removal spells (bolt, path, StP).

Got a promo Tamiyo in my pre-release box.

What kind of deck does she fit in?

In the whole cycle, I think it is one of the best. But people don't seem to like it. There's only so much recursion you can run, people.

Being traded for a regular one and cards to make up the difference.

Or you can murder people with Wolf Run.

be a man

im a foil fag so i don't want to do that.

I run that in my UW deck, I love it, especially because I don't run too much recursion in it. Favorite little thing to do with it is let my commander be killed, then exile it back to the command zone with that.

Not in EDH, at least not in multiplayer.
Planeswalkers are bad in EDH, unless you have 5 at once or can drop Obliteration the turn after when you're sure it won't die.
Today I cast Trinisphere t1, Daretti t2, Obliterate t4. I'm also one of the resident Daretti players and am the one building Shu Yun

No one but me in my playgroup uses this. I honestly don't if it is underrated, but I rarely see it on edh threads.

It's nice, but you either have be running monowhite or have the manabase to run cards that count as multiple land types.

>playing mono white

I mean, if you are a dickhole you can use drop her and doubling season for the world's best omniscience.

>mfw Raging River causes my playgroup all sorts of butthurt

it's hard to post stuff like. Peoples local meta's are highly varied. My playgroup tends to run lower power as we dont have excess cash for better land bases.

I play it in my karametra deck where i can regularly search for plains

Same thing happens whenever someone plays hive mind in my play group.

>tappedout.net/mtg-decks/shu-yun-jeskai-memelord/

Looking at that list, I'm not really getting a sense for someone is supposed to win if they played it. It looks like there's a Voltron strategy, but as you said: you're low on protection. Voltron strategies kind of suck since they require a lot of protection to get them to work. You're going to need some more stuff than just counterspells.

I think a number of cards needs to be swapped out for protection, and possibly some creatures. If an opponent were to remove Shu Yun and you do have a counter, then soon Shu Yun won't be a viable strategy. You're going to want something else you can win with if you can't protect Shu Yun.

There also seems to be a lot of enchantment removal. I take it your meta has a lot of enchantments?

Just discovered this card. Will probably build a budget deck around it, what spicy tech can be used?

It definitely shines in Karametra. Add in an Emeria Shepherd and go to town.

Made a nifty R/B standard deck with this guy.

So I am thinking about building my next EDH deck to have all the color hate cards as a theme. So anything that says one color cant do a thing. I am thinking either 3 colors or waiting for the 4 color commanders to see what they have to offer because I don't really want to buy the mana base for 5 color. The general idea would be to have a bunch of confusing conflicting mechanics that each other player has to deal with in their colors. I like to annoy my friends.

Hex Parasite, Touch of Darkness, Kuro.

Pretty much anything black that TARGETs something.

Use this as inspiration: tappedout.net/mtg-decks/extreme-budget-no-scoping-under-5-without-lands/

Build anything that has X in the cost. Even if you for example cast some thing that does 0 to a creature it will still be targeted which means it gets destroyed.

Looking for a cheap-ish Brago list. Any thoughts on this?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-brago-king-eternal-edh-commander-1/

I'd rather get reflector Mage and Strionic Resonator into the deck itself though.

don't forget its sister card

Retreat to Hagra

Would Retribution of the Ancients work just leaving X=0?

1 mana instant speed destroy any number of target creatures

Think it should, yeah.

I'd take out Heliod's Pilgrim, you don't really have enough Auras to push her even if they are all good auras for Brago, and I think you're safe to cut a land or two with so many rocks to recur with Brago.

I like Shizo, Death's Storehouse for easy commander hate.

Bought six packs and pulled a foil Gisela and normy Emrakul. Should I sell or do you think they will go up? Also, do you think the new angels will ever see viable EDH play?

I need a new playgroup. For reference J is me.

Bruna, the Fading Light is very playable. Pulling Avacyn or Iona out of your graveyard? Hell yes.

Gisela, the Broken Blade dies to bolt and is mostly useless.

I have this in my Kalitas and Sakashima decks. Does anyone insane amount of work.

Bruna I feel is a def. On-cast angel/human recursion for a 5/7 flying vigilant creature

>judge/full art textless promos
that's not a set retard

>ally-color bleed
not nearly as flagrant an offense as tipping the color pie upside-down

You faggots that weren't around for planar chaos and now see its cards later and expect the same shit to be handed out to you are the reason why they are never going to do a "return to time spiral" block. You've set this expectation in your heads that those cards are normal baseline for their respective colors and throw a fit when R&D gives you cards that actually follow the color wheel

>lolsorandumbchaos
do people generally dislike chaos decks? or does it only count as a chaos deck if you don't plan on winning at all, instead opting for "lol imma cast armageddon 3 times this game xd"?

i'm making a deck that is pretty chaotic but i still plan on winning with it. it's more like "put big guys on the table then destroy all lands and play stuff like havoc festival and grand melee". basically stuff that speeds the game up rather than slows it down

I like chaos as a subtheme for a deck, not as the main theme. The guy in my playgroup has no wincons, he just tries to play enough stupid shit that everyone scoops.

Except the original context was a Commander's Arsenal set, you complete cockslurping fuckknob.

Also, as for "color bleed", we've had four different black Wrath spells printed in full sets in the past few years. Damnation is not anywhere near "tipping the color pie upside down". SOME of the Planar Chaos things were "Reprint an existing card in a color where it's arguable it could fit", like Brute Force, or Serra Sphinx. Other ones were "honestly we could print that and it wouldn't even be remotely outside the color pie" like Mesa Enchantress and, I dunno, Damnation.

But please, tell me how THIS SPECIFIC black wrath spell is raping the color pie but the other 20 aren't. Then tell me why I'm a moron for thinking that a color-pie-fitting spell that could be printed in a Standard set can't be printed in a supplemental of like 20 cards, and how showing where it was printed as a promo twice already makes me a retard because "that's not a set".

I dislike them because it's "funny" like, once. After that it's the exact same stupid shit as every other Chaos deck ever made, and all it does is make the game tedious. It'd be like playing EDH with someone who insists that everyone play with just their pinky and thumb. It might get some laughs the first time, but after the novelty wears off it's just frustrating.

they commonly get butthurt when they see "random XD" because they think it hurts everyone equally while simultaneously forgetting the chaos player could have built their deck to be more resilent/take advantage of the fact that he's screwing everyone else's strategies up

>do people generally dislike chaos decks? or does it only count as a chaos deck if you don't plan on winning at all, instead opting for "lol imma cast armageddon 3 times this game xd"?
The latter. Chaos decks don't aim to win, they aim to mess up the board state and cause ""interesting"" things to happen.
Cascade for example is not a feature of "chaos decks", even though it is a supremely chaotic ability. However, Warp World is, even though that spell takes ten minutes to resolve and often screws over the caster the most.

I want to play karametra but I don't want to invest a whole lot of money

do you have a list I could see?

>Cauldron of Souls
>Indestructible Creatures
>Maze of Ith/Island of Wak-Wak/Desert/Ice Floe/Mystifying Maze/Oasis/Shizo/Tower of Magistrates/Urborg
>doom blade

Don't forget equipping targets, so I'd skip out on boots/greaves.

Which card (doesn't have to be legendary) best represents Solid Snake?

R is a living meme
B & S seem rather vanilla
J is probably a pretty cool guy

sorry I wish I had a list online. FYI Its not a terribly competitive decdk

Its basically mana dorks/rocks to ramp out Karametra as soon as possible. Follow that up with land matters creatures/enchantments. Continually ramp up and just flood the board with X-creatures.

Thanks guys, looks like a pretty groovy one-and-done, not sure the playgroup would tolerate the deck for more than a couple games.

You dislike playing with these guys?

What cards sow the most salt?

and I said it wouldn't be reprinted in a set you colossal double nigger
yes black gets wrath effects but never at aggressive costs because its outside its theme, it’s the same reason why white doesn't get color efficient fattys (baneslayer was a mistake)or why red can't do dick to enchantments or blue has shit permanent removal. Mesa enchantress is a borrowed Verduran from green, its ally color, its ally color that also thematically uses enchantments. This happens normally in the game ala rebuff the wicked/turn aside in W/U
Black is a color about amorality and selfishness, it cares nothing for the whole and focuses entirely on the individual. In constrast White, the color of order, has nothing to offer the individual and instead appeals to the crowd to achieve its directives. In line with that narrative is the idea of justice and balance: equally affecting everyone around it and brining everyone down (or up) to the same level; hence the reason for White’s inordinate amount of board wipes. Wrath of God is an iconic White spell, its namesake used for all other similar effects and the standard by which all others are measured. It made sense for this to go to Black in a set where everything was topsy-turvy but has no place in that color when the normal color pie is in effect.
I myself wouldn’t mind a set reprint of Damnation but it needs to make sense. People like you crying for it every time a new set of cards is released demonstrate your lack of understanding the theme of this game’s color pie, reinforcing the idea in Wizard’s mind that another trip down Planar Chaos Lane would just spawn another generation of faggots demanding out of color cards .

can we stop posting this every thread?

Why do you care?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sidisi-dredge-tyrant-budget-dredge-edh-20/

Is Consuming Aberration really worth it here? The deck's more focusing on filling its own graveyard.

>Play Crucible of Worlds followed by Armageddon
>mfw

What would you replace it with if you did take it out?

Dunno. Maybe Golgari Thug?

Personally, I like Consuming aberration just because it just needs to sit there and it does stuff as you continue to develop until it becomes a beast, but thug does go with your theme more.

Fair enough. It's worth testing at least.

What's your playgroup like?

Competitive. Lots of blue, black, and white.

How are their decks? Are they creature hate, counter heavy, graveyard reliant?

The ones I play against the most often are blue/black counter-heavy decks, but the meta as a whole is big on graveyards.

I do because of how they act mainly.
>R
autist who only plays meme generals but is otherwise okay.

>S
insufferable faggot that will bitch and moan for 10 minutes when you correctly assess him as a threat or if someone combos off in the late game. Also complains that the rest of us tune our decks.

>L
always on his phone talking to his gf or doing something else while we're playing and doesn't pay attention to the game.

>B
almost never comes anymore but when he is he's terrible at determining who's a threat and just goes after who's at the highest life.

Go with the Thug

That land is phenomenal with Aggressive Mining out after

So, jenara asura of war bant superfriends/ counter deck. Can it work? I really like the new tamiyo and I have a vorel deck I'm getting a little bored of

>Black gets wrath effects but never at aggressive costs
Crux of Fate costs 5. Toxic Deluge costs 3.

I don't think you're quite grasping the difference between printing a card in a playable format like a Standard Set, Preconstructed Decks or draft sets like Conspiracy and Masters, and printing a card in a collector's set like FtV or Commander's Arsenal.

It does not matter if a card was a mistake, is a blemish on Magic history, and/or is too powerful for normal play if they're printing it in a collector's set. Nobody looks to those sets as precedent or support for decisions about the color pie, they look to those sets to celebrate cards that are really fucking good or iconic in Magic history.

>it’s the same reason why white doesn't get color efficient fattys
what? You mean like wingmate roc and archangel avacyn?

both are conditional removal toxic deluge is in line with black theme of weakening " -x/-x" and paying for power with life

Sentinel
Xenic Poltergeist
Touch of Darkness
Baton of Morale
Cauldron of Souls
Sacred Armory
Staff of Nin
Infernal Harvest
Ritual of the Machine
Oasis
Tower of the Magistrate
Retribution of the Ancients

>mythics
>double white
>3/4 for 5
>multicolored

Baneslayer angel was also a mythic. Why was that a mistake while these are on color? Also, Archangel Avacyn(Ignoring the back side) still fits the description of a powerful white fatty

Best land cycle

That's hilarious. I can see running a green legends deck just to make people flip tables while they try to understand how my bands are working.

I already said I wouldn't mind a Damnation reprint if it made sense. Seeing as how they skipped it on FTV: Annihilation, I find it hard to believe they'll find a place for it in "Lore", maybe a future set.

The cards printed in commanders arsenal typically have a multiplayer aspect to them

Certainly the comfiest land cycle.

Fuck, old art was so good.

I got the white and green ones for my sisay deck

You can't ignore half of a card, avacyn's out.
The roc is a 3/4 for 3WW, that doesn't really qualify as a fatty.

If this tapped for mana, I would run it

Wraths technically have a multiplayer aspect to them. Rather, they're a very important thing to consider in multiplayer. They have a lot of political influence in EDH.

True, WotC choosing Decree of Pain over Damnation seems pretty telling on their intentions though. DoP also has the potential to be more rewarding in a multiplayer game than Damnation

I am going to go ahead and make myself a huge target real quick. I hate cyclonic rift and I refuse to play it in any deck I make that has blue.

Now for a little context I generally try not to play too blue to begin with, and in decks that I build that have blue I don't play a bunch of degenerate blue stuff if I can help. I am not talking about counter spells. I am talking about combos that enable endless countering, turn taking, or endless bounce. I don't mind people playing towards those ends, but I personally like the path to get to that to be at least a little involved. My reasoning being that its easy to netdeck and learn every easy quick combo nowadays, so I prefer to take the time to find novel ways to do the same thing that is trickier to pull off. I know its not efficient, but I am not trying to be a spike.

With that in mind there is a guy in my meta that of course, like probably all of you, plays cyclonic rift in every blue deck he makes. I know its considered in the same class as insurrection in that its supposed to win you the game. However we dont play very casually, so board states are seldom super one sided because everyone runs appropriate removal. So I would say short of someone being mana screwed we keep things at a very even keel during each game. Everyone is good at threat assessment.

So because of that I find that cyclonic rift is very rarely a win con for him. It usually is just a slow the game down button. Every single time he plays it I suddenly feel like not playing anymore. It just instantly stops all the fun I was having during the game every time. I am not even talking about being in a winning position either. Last time he played it I was already in pretty rough shape, but I was having fun up until that moment.

Not to mention It just so over powered to be an asymmetrical boardwipe for 7 in blue at instant speed. Its literally the best fucking wipe for it's price.

I don't know. I guess I just needed to say this.

Yeah but if you're playing it right it's two 3/4s, plus it flies

>player A gets ahead
>player B casts cyclonic rift
>Player C gets ahead
>player B casts world warp
>Player D gets ahead
>player B casts great Aurora.

>one game takes 3 hours, and player B doesn't even win

Player B never seems to understand why the group doesn't want to play with them.

ideally, each player should be running some type of wipes/removal; unless everyone's going G/R and racing each other to who can count to 40 first

Wraths keep things balanced in a group of 4 players. What's he supposed to do, roll over and die?

>Play a Black deck
>Everyone else in group runs White/Green
>I'm the only one with Board wipes
>mfw

refuse to play your wipes for a couple rounds so they see the value in it. I was the only white mage in my group for a while and whenever a problem came up, they would just say, "don't worry, user will take care of it" and not pack any removal themselves.

Trust me, after people start getting blown out on turn 5, they'll come to their senses

Of course it's the best board wipe at 7 mana, nobody plays board wipes at 7 mana other than rift

It's more just that a lot of these chaos cards sound fun but are actually just tedious to resolve, especially when combined

>implinjing

I honestly can't believe some people don't run removal. In my meta, it's a race to see who runs out of answers. I tend to win because I love recursion, which means you need to exile things to stop it, but in general it's not odd for everything good you play to get removed for 6 or 7 straight turns.

the one person in my group doesn't run removal because he complained when we wouldn't let him proxy $100 cards like Damnation

I run a mixture of wipes and targeted removal

There is more removal then just wraiths, and if you don't have an actual plan after that wraith you are needlessly prolonging the game. I'd rather roll-over and die and do something else then spend the next two hours watching someone get ahead, WRAITH and start at square one

Player B in particular would rather fill their deck with routes, then Path.