Help newfags thread

Can you guys help a new player? i kind off understand the basics, but would like to have more info.

>What are the easiest system for beginners?

I am particularly looking for a nice and easy super heroes game system.

>What is the minimum number recommended of players

I have two friends interested in playing with me. (Ill probably be the DM.) Will that do, or should i look for more people?

>Is /qst/ a good place to practice as a DM?

>Where is the best place to play online?

Bonus point for being accessible. Like forums or even social media would be great, since people would be able to play with any system.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/bU7vZFAN
mikelaff.podbean.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Easy
>Beginners
>Supers
Savage Worlds, Feng Shui for specific type of supers

>Minimal number
2 players and the game runner
BUT
>Comfortable number
3 or 4 players and the game runner

It's a relatively good place to check your scenario, at least in theory... but the time it will take means it's not that good for practice - it takes weeks to run campaigns, assuming people play them in the first place

Depends on so many different factors it's impossible to answer. Your nationality, language fluency and time-zone are crucial here.

We are all from Venezuela, but i am currently living at Miami while they are still at that shithole.

We do share the exact time zone tho.

Also thanks!

Ho boy... from all places in States you've picked the only region I have no clue about when it comes to TTRPG.

And about number of players - 2 is good if you are running stuff like buddy cop scenarios or similar. Anything else usually takes 3 or 4 people.

I'm about to start my first session ever...any tips?

Make sure everyone knows that it's OK to say you messed up, or that something else should happen instead. Don't be afraid to backtrack a little if everyone is unhappy with a decision. It's OK to do this because you're new, but people like continuity so don't get into the habit of contradicting yourself.

The players might get upset when something doesn't go their way, but they should still be having fun and be engaged. It's OK to present difficult challenges and let them fail, but if your players are new, it will help to give them clues about how they might go about overcoming the challenges.

The most important thing to keep in mind when you're running a game is that nothing in the game world exists until the players encounter it. If you want them to encounter something specific and they head in the opposite direction that you thought they would, it's fine to pick up your encounter and move it in front of them. Good GMs are experts at shuffling characters and locations around to keep the game exciting and the story moving.

>I am particularly looking for a nice and easy super heroes game system.
Mutants and Masterminds 3e runs everything on a straight "roll a d20 plus your stats".
Statting up powers is a bit of a challenge but you can just use the GM Kit to make up something archetypical (or just take a ready DC character from the book) and play that until you get it up.
Their replacement of HP system may also throw you off but they have a picteresque chart to help in the back of the book.

Marvel Heroic RP is also nice to start up, they replace stat modifiers with picking different sizes of the dice to roll. They also don't do chargen by numbers, you just assign whatever dice you feel are right for the character, which may be either harder or easier for you.

pastebin.com/bU7vZFAN here's a bunch of download links for games, so check them out.

mikelaff.podbean.com/ this podcast has examples of play for both M&M (also known as DC Adventures) and Marvel Heroic, altho they lack a search system on the blog so you'll need to just dig through manually.

>I have two friends interested in playing with me. (Ill probably be the DM.) Will that do, or should i look for more people?
Should work fine.

It's pretty different from the practice of running a game, but it can be helpful training for coming up with scenarios.

There's a lot of different things.
There's roll20 for playing with maps and stuff.
Or you can just do straight text in IRC or Discord or hell just Skype.
Or you can pick any random free forum hoster and set up shop just for yourselves. Or run it on rpol, with a bonus of having character profiles and dicerolls built-in.

>What are the easiest system for beginners?
Hard to say. You'll get a 100 people who'll tell you GURPs is complicated, but you roll three six-sided dice and want to roll under the relevant attribute. Not really that complicated. The reason people think it's complicated is because the process of making a character is involved and takes a while.

Savage Worlds has multiple parts to it that will trip a new player up, but you can make a character in 5 minutes.

D&D 2nd edition is full of complicated contradictory shit, yet 8 year olds learn how to play it on their own in the 80's.

So the whole idea of "easy to learn" is kinda silly. Just realize that the first session is about getting a handle on things and pick the game with artwork that inspires you.

Complicated part of GURPS is digging through all the books to find the ones that do what you want in your game in the fashion you want it to be in.

>What is the minimum number recommended of players

There really isn't a minimum. I've run plenty of 1 on 1s, and had a blast. 3-4 is kind of the sweet spot, and it takes a paticular kind of GM to handle more than 5 without the game falling apart.

Why? If you, the GM, already know what game you're running, you don't need anything beyond core.

Running Vikings in land of the lost? You do not need the Vikings or Dinosaurs book to accomplish that. They just might have good info for you.

In which case, GURPS becomes "just homebrew something yourself, but it gotta be based on 3d6 rolling"

Not really. Most books don't have rules, just setting info. The core has everything you need for most games. If you wanna add minutia systems for a setting, you can, but it's not necessary.

I'm guessing by "easy for beginners" you mean "don't have a bunch of shit to sift through to build and play on either side". A Powered By The Apocalypse game makes everything simple and puts it on your character sheet, but can teach bad DM habits and makes you think on the fly. M&M 3e has a lot of subsystems and quirks to pick up on, but has a lot of material built for you. GURPS has a very simple mechanic, but you have to build the game to play it.

I'd personally go with either Feng Shui 2 for something kind of complex and high energy, Fate Accelerated Edition for something light and simple, or BASH UE/Supers RED if you can hunt them down for a simple actually superhero game

Just to illustrate my point. Here is the table of contents from a supplement. Highlighted is the section where mechanics are.

And to whit, none of those mechanics are actually new.

To wrap up:

- Es para el GM, para que tenga un punto referencia de como "masterear" el juego. Bastante explicito y fácil de usar si sabes inglés.

Para los jugadores, para que sepan que movimientos pueden hacer, como usarlos y cuando usarlos.

Los primeros dos son solo referencias.

es la lista de "clases" de superheroe que puedes ser, cada una basada en clichés de los comics. Cada "clase" viene con su propia lista de poderes y un trasfondo que hace que la creación de personaje sea más rápido y fácil de lo que seria en juegos más complicados.

Uso roll20 para jugar online, si necesitan ayuda, podría jugar con ustedes un par de veces. No tengo problemas en ser el GM.

Complicated for GURPS can involve digging through just the core book to find out what it is you want to make your character do, and then having to read through the columns of text for whatever caveats and switchbacks these incur. Like, say you want to make a D&D style cleric, cast divine magic, heal people magically, for a fantasy game, right?

So, what you need first is the advantage "Clerical Investment", which is a 5 point advantage that says you *are* a cleric. It is a purely social advantage that gives a +1 to reaction rolls from other religionists.

And then you want to be somebody in the church, so you probably need a Religious Rank (5-10 points per level, you will want more than 0), on top of this, rank comes with a Duty (which is a disadvantage) so, basically, you're paying points to buy authority and must take a obligation based disadvantage.

But you still can't cast spells: for that you need a Power investiture (10 points /level)... which is great and all, but reading the rules of this, it says i have to take AND ADHERE TO a self-imposed mental disadvantage, which can include things like maintaining your virginity, never cutting your hair or nails, vows of silence, etc. the GM is encouraged to be creative. Furthermore: these powers can be yanked if at any point you violate that vow. Again: i paid character building points for these things which come with unavoidable drawbacks.

If i want to be a cleric who can cast Minor Healing to it's fullest effect: i need to pay (5+10+30) 45 character building points, out of a suggested starting point value of 100-200. on top of that, i have three disadvantages (Duty, Self-imposed mental disadvantages, and the classic Paladin Problem) for which i am not getting any points back.

i agree rogue is best