Witch Apprentice Quest #22

"Wakey-wakey!"

The call of my older sister's voice accompanied by a heavy-handed shaking stirs me awake much quicker and forcefully than I'm used to. Especially given I have always been the one to wake her up. One valiant struggle to peel my eyes open later though, reveals that she is not only up but also fully dressed and lively.

"Finally!" She exclaims with her hands on her sides and a self-satisfied grin on her face. "Sleeping in your sister's bed must feel like heaven, huh? I've seen trolls sleep more lightly than you!"

Gee, this early and she's already like that. But what can I do, except keep pretending I wasn't doing it to comfort HER, rather than the other way around? It really is annoying how she's treating me like a baby, but maybe that's just how she handles being sad?

"Not that Sister minds, of course! Don't take this the wrong way, but you really have been looking like you needed some sleep since I came back home. Sleeping late once in a while can be good for you, especially after lying awake at night worrying when Sister would come home, you know!"

Everyone is used to you being out and about most of time by now, stupid! Wait, did she just say... "Late?"

"Oh yeah!" She explains with a nod towards the window. "It's almost noon! Don't you usually wake at dawn? Guess dad thought you could use the sleep too!"

"I'M LATE!" I scream, jumping out of the bed and setting about looking for my backpack. I should really wash my face and braid my hair too but there's no time! I should have been at Mistress' house hours ago and where is that stupid pack?

"Uhh, looking for something?" Sis asks in a bewildered voice while scratching her head. But why is she even in my...

"ARGH! WRONG ROOM!"

>1/2

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/FriendQM
archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/Witch Apprentice Quest/order/asc/
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Witch apprentice quest
pastebin.com/MabAXjBs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A quick pass by the mirror in MY room confirms that yes, my hair desperately needs some attention but there's just no time! Hopefully Mistress won't mind too much. Quickly I swing the backpack with my notebook and the 'emergency pack' I got from Cinnamon over one shoulder and set out on my way.

"I'M LATE!" I hastily inform Papa as I slow down a little passing through his workshop. ABSOLUTELY no running allowed out there, ever, not even when I'm really late and need to hurry. A surpsied "Huh?" is the only response he can manage as I continue on my way through the storefront and out unto the streets where-

"WHAAAH!?!"

No, no, no, not NOW!

"IT'S RAINING!"

"Then," I hear Papa's deep voice addressing me from back in the workshop. "Why don't you stay indoors today?"

"I CAN'T, I'M LATE!" I try to explain as I hurry to pick up my jacket from Sister's room, NOT mine. I definitely remembered that.

"Meeting with Amalia then, I take it?"

"Uhm... No." Poop! I need to hurry but it's also super-rude and not-okay to leave when Papa wants to talk. But I also can't tell him where I'm really going!

"Oh?" He ponders as he continues swinging a hammer at a red-hot and extra-super-duper-dangerous rod of iron. "Extra studies with Kerstin, then?"

"Uhm... No." I'm getting more late every second, Papa!

"Well then whe-"

"She's coming with me," Sis suddenly appears to the surprise of both of us. "Self-defense training!"

"Well... I don't see the harm in that." He admits. "You really agreed to that, Nadja?"

>"Uhm..." [Don't actually say anything. It's not lying to Papa that way.]
>"No." [Tell Papa the truth]
>"Actually, I'm going to..." [Tell Papa the WHOLE truth]

Obligatory OP paste below:

>Nadja's Seniors:
Mistress' current opinion: 25/100
Lily's current opinion: 05/100
Camille's current opinion: 10/100

>Seal: 95/100

>Nadja's Witchy Skills:
Herbalism : Initiated (Potions and such!)
Penmanship: Fledgling* (Hexes and wards!)
Infusion: Uninitiated (Making things magic!)
*Nadja has proven to be naturally talented at this set of skills. She learns more quickly and has a chance to intuitively understand this type of magic simply by looking at it.

>Communication:
Twitter: twitter.com/FriendQM

>Archives:
4plebs archive: archive.4plebs.org/tg/search/subject/Witch Apprentice Quest/order/asc/
Suptg archive: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Witch apprentice quest

>Resources:
Nadja's Notebook: pastebin.com/MabAXjBs (OUTDATED but still available, last updated 19-03-2016. I'll update it soon, promise!)

No time.

>"Actually, I'm going to..." [Tell Papa the WHOLE truth]

R-right

3 votes for naughtyyyy~

Oh and since I forgot to do so in the OP, apologies for the lateness. Such is the price of my hubris.

"Uhm..."

This is the distraction I desperately need, but I definitely can't lie to Papa! But I also need to go before he starts wondering how I can be late to meet Sis if she's right there...

"Haha, how could she not?" Sis exclaims with a smug grin and dismissive wave of her hand. "Poor Nadja missed her amazing sister so much she immediately jumped on the opportunity to spend some quality time her! Now, if His Majest the Dad will excuse us..."

"Fine, fine." He answers with a sigh. "Just try not to get your sister sick, alright?"

"Haha, you kidding?" She shouts back as she too slings a coat over herself and marches ahead out of the door. "Nadja NEVER gets sick!"

"Bye, Papa!" I bid him before following behind her and closing the door shut before he stumbles upon one of the holes in that story Sis has spun.

"There, yet another baby sister heroically rescued from the clutches of-"

"I really need to hurry." I inform her before she gets too far into her self-appreciating speech.

"Of course, of course, don't mind your loving sister!" She says with more than a few hints of sarcasm. "I should go find Fluffy, anyway."

...Who's Fluffy? Oh nevermind, no time for that! I need to hurry.

The rain finally turns out to have an advantage, as the market squares are both almost completely deserted in this weather, saving me the trouble of having to weave through the crowds that are usually present. A few of the guards do shout at me to slow down, something about falling and breaking my neck on the stairs. I know for a fact there's no rule against that though, so I'm not worried.

Outside of town however, another obstacle quickly reveals itself to slow me down. Mud! If I keep going like this I might slip and get mud all over my clothes!

>Slow down and walk! It won't do to show up covered in mud!
>Keep going, I have to hurry!
>Something else? (I have no idea what something else would even be but if you do, write-in!)

>Whatever you choose, please roll 1d20 as well!

Rolled 1 (1d20)

Mud is okay!

Rolled 13 (1d20)

Run!

Rolled 4 (1d20)

>>Keep going, I have to hurry!

>Mud is okay!
I'm glad you think so.

Oh... poor Nadja...

Welp

Rolled 5 (1d20)

>Slow down and walk! It won't do to show up covered in mud!

N-Nadja won't cry from just something small like this!

So a 1 would have failed no matter what you chose, so... unless someone rolls a 20 within the next 5 MINUTES it looks like Nadja's fate is sealed!

You're allowed to roll again. This time.

Rolled 14 (1d20)

We roll now?

Rolled 19 (1d20)

ORAORAORA

Rolled 13 (1d20)

Oh well, Nadja is getting muddy it looks like.

Well I suppose a 19 is worth SOMETHING too.

>Writing commences.

FriendQM is truly the friendly QM!

Looking extra pitiful?

Oh no I showed up late to the thread and now Nadja is late! I feel like this is my fault

Will you take Nadja's punishment for her user?

As long as I don't get turned into a toad or newt or something

Could be, user. Or maybe she has to clean instead of study today. Or a spanking.

Covered in mud? More like a worm.

No time, no time! I have to go faster! And not fall! I can definitely do both! I passed that super-dangerous witch trial AND whatever you call Sister's crazy idea yesterday, so a bit of mud is definitely not going to-

"Poop!" Is all I can think as I feel my left foot slide through the mud and up into the air, and my face quickly gaining speed in the opposite direction. It's over, there's nothing I can do now but try to keep my mouth and eyes closed.

This day really is turning out to be a complete- THUMP!

Wait... thump? And since when is mud this hard?

I open my eyes to find myself no more than a hand's length above the mud, my face resting against something hard. Hard and... invisible?

"Wowzee! Human girl Nadja almost became mud girl Nadja!"

That voice... And THAT mannerism... I lift my head from the surface that turns out to not be quite invisible, but rather to consist of a collection of glittery... glitters? floating in the air, roughly forming a surface that, apparently, is fully tangible. And in front of me, of course, I find...

>1/2

"Hi hiii! Fairy girl Flimflam is sooo happy to see friend Nadja again!"

Flimflam. The same fairy that lied to me about where my clothes were after I completed that embarrassing (but also dangerous) trial, and who probably was the one that stole them too, all the while insisting that we're friends. Though this time...

"You did this?" I ask her, still finding it a little difficult to believe.

"Flimflam saw human girl Nadja go WHOOSH!" She explains while mimicking what I suppose was what I looked like a moment ago. "So Flimflam went DOUBLE-WOOSH! to help Nadja! Heehee, it was VERY close!"

"You can say that again..." i mumble as I, still finding it difficult to believe, lift myself back up on my feet, while standing on nothing. "This is pretty amazing. How did you make... this?"

"Flimflam thought it would help!"

"But HOW did you make it?"

"Flimflam just said how!"

"Right..." I'm clearly not getting anything out of her this way. "Anyway, I really need to hurry to Mistress' house..."

>"But let's just say this makes up for when you lied to me. You're a really good friend after all!"
>"But thanks a ton for helping me! I really owe you!"
>"But would you like to come too? As long as you don't touch anything I'm sure Mistress won't mind!"

>"But let's just say this makes up for when you lied to me. You're a really good friend after all!"

Trust fairies.

>"But thanks a ton for helping me! I really owe you!"

ALMOST unanimous vote. Certainly makes my life easier!

Now you're thinking like a wicked witch would.

It's kind of weird. I was really late to post this thread and Nadja turns out to be late too. I get soaking wet from the rain, and so does Nadja...

I'm starting to suspect that whoever is writing this can somehow read my mind.

Well I hope you learned a lot of magic today!

>I'm starting to suspect that whoever is writing this can somehow read my mind.
But... Aren't you writing this? Or are you secretly a witch with multiple personalities?

I'm pretty sure it's a fairy.

"But let's just say this makes up for when you lied to me. You're a really good friend after all!"

I expect to hear cheers of celebration from the fairy that so far proven spectacularly quick to become overjoyed. But that assumption turns to be completely off the mark as she angrily folds her arms in front of her.

"Flimflam is NOT a liar!" She cries at me in anger, then, with a rapid flash of her wings disappears further into the woods, leaving nothing but a small trail of red glitters similar to those that had just saved me. A moment later, both have vanished as well as, I check, the invisible surface. The only evidence left to show she was ever hear is the sinking feeling of guilt in my stomach. I didn't mean it THAT way, but... it is what I said, isn't it?

"Uhm, Flimflam?" I call out towards nowhere in particular. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean that so... so plese come back!"

There's no response, only the trickling sound of rain dripping down from the leaves above. And somehow, I find myself wishing that I had just fallen in the mud instead. I really hope I didn't make her cry...

I'm still late, but after that, I just can't find the energy to keep running, so I settle for a slow walk through the mud. Probably better not to tempt fate anyway.

After what feels like an eternity I finally find myself taking the last steps up to Mistress' house. Knocking on the door however, I come upon yet another surprise for the day, as it slides open at just my light tapping. Did she forget to close the door properly?

"Mistress! I'm sorry I'm late!" I call into the house, but there's no response from within. And peeking inside I see the front room suspiciously lacking Mistress as well, so unless she overslept too...

>1/2

Oh! There's a piece of paper on the floor? Could it be for me?

"Apprentice Robin." It begins. I guess she'll be using that name now? I kinda liked it better when she used my real name though, it felt a bit like she was my... Anyway, back to the note!

"I have urgent business to attend to, so you will be conducting independent studies today. I have picked out a selection of books for you. Your assignment is reading chapters 0 and 32 -The Pocket Guide to Artful Hexes- and practising its lessons."

0 and 32..? That's a little odd.

"Once you have finished your assignment early, you may choose one of the other books I have left on the table for you as additional reading. You're free to use anything in my house that you actually recognize, but you will be responsible for the state in which I find my home when I return.

- The Raven"

I hurried here just to read a note?

I cannot help but let out a sigh, both of disappointment and relief, as I carefully take my shoes off and get them as clean as I can before entering. At least I won't be punished for being later. After what I saw on the mountain, that might be for the best.

A sudden aggressive growling leaves me almost falling head first for the second time today before I realize that it is in fact the sound of my stomach reminding me I have had no breakfast today. Since I'm on my own today, and she DID say I could use anything in her house...

>Look for something to eat. You can't study on an empty stomach!
>Try to ignore the hunger. Assignment first!
>...I wonder if she left a spare hat somewhere. I'm sure I'd study harder if I had one!
>Something else? (Write-in!)

>...I wonder if she left a spare hat somewhere. I'm sure I'd study harder if I had one!

Duty!

Be sure to tell her/leave a note saying you took some food!

>>Look for something to eat. You can't study on an empty stomach!

>Struggle between several different ideas, break down and cry.

Last time I offered, I was told that user only wants the hat when it has been EARNED. Seems that's still true, even if the opinion has become slightly less popular.

Food first, then studying!

>Be sure to tell her/leave a note saying you took some food!
Good idea!

Let's hope Nadja doesn't burn down the kitchen!

I thought we were looking for already made food? Like bread or cheese.

>implying Nadja can't still burn down the kitchen.

You can't study on an empty stomach, everybody knows that! Especially when I'm used to Kerstin reading the books for us and just listening to what she says, but I read almost as fast as Amalia so I'm sure it'll be okay.

Now, let's see. As long as I can recognize it I'm allowed to use it, right? That's probably a good idea too, since it's a little difficult to tell where exactly Mistress' kitchen ends and her storage for witchy things begins. These green leaves here might be spices, but they also might be ingredients for potions? It'd be easier if they were labeled, but I guess Mistress doesn't need that. I'll just have to do my best to catch up with knowledge, even if it takes a while. Or decades, probably...

In the end, partially feeling a little overwhelmed and partially feeling that I probably shouldn't push my luck any more today, picking out a handful of plain-looking biscuits from a cute little jar with pretty paintings on. It looks like it was made by a child, but I like it a lot. As far as I can tell, it shows two girls, one with long black hair and a black-red dress, the other with red hair and a black-white dress. Around both are lots and lots of pink hearts. Maybe it shows Mistress and Redleaf? Though I wonder who made it then...

Either way, something this cute and innocent-looking definitely can't be bad! And though the taste is rather bland, but who am I to complain. At least it lets me push the hunger aside for a while.

I quickly scribble a note explaining that I took a few because I was starving. I'll just have to make it up to her later. And now, back to the studies. It was called -The Pocket Guide to Artful Hexes- so it's probably this small o-

Nope.

It's not the actual-book-sized one either. But beside the two books, easily towering over the both of them combined and looking like it'd be as wide as the table when opened... Whoever wrote this must have giant pockets!

>1/3

Oh, but luckily I just remembered I only had to read chapters 0 and 32. Yay! Let's just find a stool to put the other two on to make room for the giant and I should be good to go...

-+-

-- The Pocket Guide to Artful Hexes --
By hand of Elder Shimmer, The Historian, Teacher of Aurora, Teacher of Coral, Teacher of Crocus, Teacher of Verse, and Teacher of Sylph.

Hexing is, I have discovered, a horribly misunderstood subject among my peers who see this branch of the craft as overwhelmingly complex. This is of course unsurprising, knowing all but one of them were trained to be battlewitches and as such had utterly incompetent teachers.

Fortunately, that is a mistake that is easily corrected. For that purpose I have created this brief work which, in a mere 32 chapters, covers all of the basics necessary to mastering this most sophisticated of the arts.

To put it simply, the art can be broken down into a few simple elements. First and most important is the Form, which includes using the correct pattern and geometry and of course the part most students seem to struggle with, perfect replication of the ancient runes. This will be covered in the first 31 chapters.

Second is the Substance; using the correct material when creating your Form. Common examples are salt, blood, or sparkle-infused ink. This is really as trivial as it sounds, read the instructions and follow them.

>2/3

Last is the Spark, the trigger for your spell. Personal items belonging to your target are commonly required and I must stress the importance of the personal aspect. Stealing random garbage is both beneath you and ineffective. Items with emotional attachment only! Another common Spark is simply direct contact between a person and your Form. No doubt you've seen this used in a variety of wards, traps, and so on. Again, this is really just a matter of reading the instructions and following them, something even the most fresh-faced apprentice should have no trouble with.

In the 32nd chapter you will find a handful of mostly-harmless hexes well-suited for practising what you've learned. I do NOT recommend trying these before thoroughly reading chapters 1 through 31.

-+-

Okay, one chapter done! That's not so bad. The writer doesn't sound like a very nice person, but at least she seems smart. She did write HUNDREDS of pages about this, after all. Good thing I'll be skipping them all!

The last chapter, 32, appears to be exactly what she promised, descriptions of a few hexes, how to draw them, what they require, and what they do. So I guess that means I should pick one to make. Mistress did say to PRACTICE too.

First, I should pick which one I want to try out.

>Truthing Hex. The book says this one forces the target to tell the truth for an entire day!
>Sighting Hex. Seems this one lets you temporarily see and hear what the target sees. Crazy!
>Cacophonous Hex. This one makes a lot of noise when you touch it. Useful for making sure nobody sneaks into your house I guess!

>Sighting Hex. Seems this one lets you temporarily see and hear what the target sees. Crazy!
Sounds fun.

Cute!

>>Truthing Hex. The book says this one forces the target to tell the truth for an entire day!

>>Truthing Hex. The book says this one forces the target to tell the truth for an entire day!

Did.. Nadja just eat cookies she shouldn't have?

>Truthing Hex. The book says this one forces the target to tell the truth for an entire day!

>>Sighting Hex. Seems this one lets you temporarily see and hear what the target sees. Crazy!

I would vote Truthing, but if it has the negative effect of leaving the target fully aware, it could be real bad.

Shenanigans!

Yeah alright. Amalia better watch out though.

Amalia doesn't have anything to watch out for, she's not a liar.

> sighting hex

>>Cacophonous Hex. This one makes a lot of noise when you touch it. Useful for making sure nobody sneaks into your house I guess!
This alarm needs some love!

>Did.. Nadja just eat cookies she shouldn't have?
I think that's likely.

Okaaaay, that's a lot of votes. Let's see...

>Truthing: 7
>Sighting: 6
>Cacophonous: 1

Close one! I counted them thrice just be sure.

>Did.. Nadja just eat cookies she shouldn't have?

They were in a cute jar, they're obviously intended for a sweet and trustworthy apprentice.

>but if it has the negative effect of leaving the target fully aware, it could be real bad.

They would probably feel it odd that they keep saying things they didn't intend to, but if they don't KNOW to suspect foul play... why would they?

Because witches!

I can't wait for Nadja to end up casting the spell on herself and admitting to Mistress that she was late.

>Cute jars are for apprentices
Learn something new every day.

And why would anyone suspect foul play from telling the truth! Everyone always tells the truth!

I wonder if it's an absolute truth or if it's a truth as far as the speaker knows it.

Probably the latter, else it would be far too abusable.

A bit fuzzy on witchy things, which subject would let Nadja help Papa? I thought it was infusion but for some reason I'm foggy on it.

Hexes might actually be more useful as far as Papa is concerned.

I can think of at least one way to use some of these for that purpose. Same goes for the other branches.

It kind of comes down to what Nadja is willing to do to get what she wants, along with a dash of creative thinking. The real art to witchcraft is finding the best way to achieve your goal, preferably without risking your life like some dumb adventurer. Even better if nobody suspects you were ever involved.

>update soon

Truthing sounds like it might be pretty fun! And it's not like it would REALLY hurt someone because they shouldn't be lying in the first place!

Now, the book says I need to use some of this "infused" ink, noting that you should NEVER touch it directly. I have no idea how to make that, but the book says it's used pretty often so I'm sure if I look around a bit. I imagine it'd look like ink, but sparkly?

The Spark will be more difficult. It says I need a personal item belonging to the target of the hex. I'd need to get that from whoever I want to use it on. That might not be easy. If a person likes something a lot they probably keep it safe.

But I should worry about that later. First I should actually draw it. If I put it on a piece of paper I could just bring it with me when I actually have a Spark to trigger it! Now let's see, ink ink ink... Are these things in any kind of order? I'm pretty sure all the things in this room are for making potions (or food?) so I should probably look somewhere else. The study has books, so maybe it'll have ink too...

Aha! This has got to be it. This one on the left looks like regular ink but this one is somehow both black and shiny at the same time. It has to be it, it couldn't be anything else! Ready!

Next I should probably study the pattern in the book, to make sure I get it just right.

Eight points... Okay, easy so far. And these... I think the book called them 'runes', they look easy enough too. I'm not sure what they're called, but this one definitely feels like sad rune, and that one across from it, that one feels very proud. Which makes sense because when they flow together along these lines...

And then these two over here will.. Mhm...

>1/2

Okay! This makes a lot of sense now! All I have to do is start with this bit, then I'll do this and... Done!

>*Nadja has proven to be naturally talented at this set of skills. She learns more quickly and has a chance to intuitively understand this type of magic simply by looking at it.
>Normally I'd ask for a roll, but since she has plenty of time to study this one she can just keep doing so until it 'clicks'.

I'm almost completely certain this is correct. It feels just right, a bit like a rope stretched just to the point where it's ready to snap if you give it just a little tug...

But I need to find that tug, which means I need to figure out who to use it on, knowing that I'll have to somehow acquire an item they're emotionally attached to...

I could use it on Mistress? It should be easy to find something in here that she loves. But... she might get mad if she finds out, and it doesn't really feel right to hex HER, does it?

If I go back to town it would also be easy to find something for Papa or Sis, but should I use it on one of them, even if just for practice? Maybe if I ask Sis for permission it'd be okay..?

There's Amalia too. I don't have anything of hers but I can definitely find something if I sneak into her room. She does keep a lot of secrets for sure... but is it okay for me to FORCE her to tell me like this, even if I think it might help her to actually talk about it?

There's the other witches I've met, but I probably shouldn't mess with them, they'll just want to get back at me worse I think. And the Baroness or Angeline... that'd probably too dangerous just trying to get the item!

But what if I... used it on that other smith? Papa's rival? It'll be risky trying to get a Spark from him, but...

Or I could use it on myself, just to test if it works.

Who should I choose?

>Mistress.
>Sis, after asking for her permission.
>Amalia. For her own good, I think..?
>Papa's rival.
>Myself.

>>Mistress.

>Myself.

>>Myself.
It's not like Nadja ever lies, right?

>Myself.
What if it went wrong and we hurt someone else? We have to test it on ourself first.

>>Sis, after asking for her permission.

>Myself.
Harmless, right?

>Papa's rival.
Might be worth making sure that he doesn't try to cheat.

> Sis

>Amalia. For her own good, I think..?

Playing it safe, then. I suppose it's alright to want to be careful for now if you're afraid.

Hey doing it to Mistress could get us turned into a newt. Doing it to Amalia or Sister could ruin out relationship forever.

Doing it to Papa could unearth horrible secrets.

Don't bully!