The Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game

Was it any good.
Do any of you actually still play it.
Is there any news of updates to the game.
Why did it die.

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Hobbit?N=102353 4294967063 4294967061&Nu=product.repositoryId&searchTerm=&sorting=rec&categoryId=cat410002-flat
scribd.com/doc/44936790/Lord-of-the-Rings-Rulebook-2005-Eng
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stillborn.

What do you mean by that

the game was, and still is excellent
not since I moved away from my local shop and started working full time
I don't think so? but it's supposed to get something eventually
the LotR bubble burst, and they kind of ran out of shit to make

I collect and paint but dont have anyone to play :(

I know they made a couple of new models when The Hobbit came out.

Do you mind posting your collection.
I don't think I've seen anyone on Veeky Forums post Lord of the Ring models.

I just remembered GW and Forge World announcing some new models and terrain

sure I got moria mostly though
here some dead

Those look really good.

I was just wondering are most of the of the models metal, plastic or resin.

Dead ones were metal. Others I have are plastic, except Saruman.

Do you have any with the new The Hobbit models.

And hear some of the new Forge World models.

nah because my FLGS didnt order any

What type of terrain is that.

Shame.
I know GW themselves have all of the Lord of the Rings models online only these days.

Also what do you think of the new Forge World models that are coming out.

desu I dont care much for the new hobbit models since I hate the movies with a passion.

mines of moria starter set. The SBG is still my groups primary game. hell, i just finshed painting a unit of Black Numenoreans. it's still the best thing GW has ever put out. Rules and model wise.

The new Forge world stuff is fucking fantastic in my opinion. i'm not a dwarf person typically, but dain and the ballista are a must straight off.

Post the books cunt

support the game and buy them cunt. they're cheap enough.

Have a Palantir.

Haha fuck no.

then fuck off and stop begging.

awesome. how do you get the matte look on the stone?

And you wonder why no one plays with you. tsk. tsk.

I didn't know forgeworld made any lotr, and for that matter does anyone know how FW has remained distinct from the various policy changes of GW over the years? as an always artisan line does it escape the market forces that consume gw so?

It was just drybrushed codex grey/dawnstone and washed nuln oil. very quick and simple.
If you call tournaments of 30+ people every weekend no one, then sure.

Sure kid. Prove it. Where?

it was a decent set, fun and didn't take itself as seriously as regular warhams. I didn't get as far as all the war of the ring stuff though which looked like it tried to get turned into large scale warhammer. good models, smaller scale than the other stuff

Forge world took it over. probably the best thing. the whole team interacts with the community on facebook directly, so it's a lot more intimate with what the fans want.

it was great but died because it wasnt supported well enough and also because they jacked the prices up REAL BAD. Like as in doubled the price of a box of guys and halved the number. Realistically, thats the only thing stopping me from getting into it again. It's somehow more expensive than 40k.

I didn't know they have tournaments.
Where is it being hosted.

don't be a conscending cunt. England unsurprisingly. The scouring of Cheshire just happened. go look it up.

UK. if you're there, go look up the Great British Hobbit League on facebook. they have lists of all the tournaments going on.

Wrong post, friendo. Whats your name? Where do you live?

fuck off posting that shit on Veeky Forums of all places. you're on the internet and i assume you're not a complete retard. look it up yourself.

Have a Balrog.

Cat got your tongue, monsouir. Where do you live? What is your name?

here's your last (you). savour it, it's your very last one.

I am goiing to fucking kill you. If there are only 30 of you I will be able to find you eventually. I have fucking nothing in life and nothing to fucking lose. I will make you feel the pain i feel and suffer as I have suffered. My life is shit, and you are on my list, friendo.

OP here
Here are all the Lord of the Rings battle strategy game rules and sourcebooks

games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Hobbit?N=102353 4294967063 4294967061&Nu=product.repositoryId&searchTerm=&sorting=rec&categoryId=cat410002-flat

ok fine, once more just because you made me laugh. if you're going to do the pasta, at least put the effort in. what would you seal buddies think only going in half assed?

good man op, but still. buy the books. they are cheap and help support the game.

I got a Gandalf to use as a Shadow Wizard in my Empire army

I have no friends. I have no family. I have no job. All I have is a hostel paid for with dole money, a mobile phone I stole from a drunk girl in the street and some LOTR models I collected from the magazines whilst I was in care. All I wanted was the pdf books so i could make an army and some friends. You denied that to me, now you are going to fucking pay.

get a job

Yes
Not in a long time. The Hobbit killed it off. And given that here is literally the heart of Middle Earth, that's an achievement.
No
The Hobbit and lack of support.

I have one. To find you.

yes to point three. forge world is taking it over and look at the rest of the thread.

FW isn't going to save it, merely prolong its existence.

The game was okay
Was actually reasonably priced by GW standards, too. Worked best with 10-15 dudes a side, any thing else tended to get bogged down in rolling for every individual combat.
At some point the rules got really hard to follow- they weren't just clearly labelled 1st edition, 2nd edition etc and the movie hype died down.
The Hobbit stuff might have reinvigorated it, but the Hobbit just wasn't that good, and GW couldn't resist being GW and putting less minis in a box and increasing prices.

It will last for years beyond its allotted span. It will be come "thin". Sort of stretched, like butter over too much bread.

eh, we'll see. it's got dedicated support behind it and it looks fucking gorgeous so far.

I still have a huge army of LOTR, the legacy of both a long-running subscription to Battle Games in Middle Earth and the fact that I live in Middle Earth itself, and LOTR was more popular than both Warhammer Fantasy and 40k for quite a while here. I played guys who were in the moves, sometimes as extras, caterers, even one guy who worked (and still works for) Weta Workshop. Playing LOTR was both cheaper, and considered a bit of a patriotic duty.

Hobbit killed that dead. $100 for an Eagle? $220 for the Starter Box? No-one could afford that. I got both Two Towers and ROTK for $100 each, and they had double the models, dice, scenery and more.

A few of us still play, but we're the bitter dregs of what once was a vibrant community.

For those unwilling to pay, here is a link to the rulebook for the Return of the Kings edition.

I've never actually played it, but I think the change from the "I go, you go" style of 40k sounds awesome.
For those of you not in the know, each turn starts with the players rolling for priority. The priority winner moves, then the priority loser. Then the priority winner shoots, followed by the loser. Then close combat is fought, with the priority winner choosing the order in which combat is fought (charges happen during movement).
Heroes have a limited pool of "Might" points that they can use to break the priority order.
It's really really cool.

Oh fuck my apologies, here is the link I meant to post:
scribd.com/doc/44936790/Lord-of-the-Rings-Rulebook-2005-Eng