/dcg/ Dropzone/Dropfleet Commander General

retaliatory strike edition.

>DZC Rules, units, errata, etc
mediafire.com/folder/3e69ovwksc27r/DZC#3e69ovwksc27r

>dropfleet preorder, showing prices and lotsa pics
waylandgames.co.uk/3951-dropfleet-commander

Initial topic of the thread: How are you planning on painting your fleets, if not the studio schemes?

Other urls found in this thread:

hawkforum.co.uk/hawkforum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6568
smile.amazon.com/SE-MZ1013FL-Magnifier-Flexible-Flashlight/dp/B000Z7GGJC
youtube.com/watch?v=driMTJWlQKA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

And on request from user

"some other poor bastard can do the PHR and Shaltari"

I was going to use a darker purple on the scourge with a lighter purple dry brushing them, to bring out the grooves and raised details. Might hit the underside of the tentacles with a blue color as well.

Shaltari are going to be red with blue for their cores and jeweled bits.

PHR I really want to do in a hot rod red with some yellow highlights on it. I'm not a massive fan of the bone white color.

I highly recommend adding the blue to the scourge, did that with my DZC models, liked the way it came out -- look forward to trying something similar with my scourge
I was planning on doing the same thing with my PHR, until my buddy offered to buy them off me -- hit those contours with an orange glaze to add the effect of the shape, and was gonna make the guns and gribblies chrome with that sexy new vallejo air metal chrome to drive home that muscle car aesthetic.

shaltari -- i did my DZC models in studio paint scheme, and hate them. Not decided on how to do the new ones -- kinda sad since i love the 'hogs

UCM.........probably with paint? I cannot unsee the studio job for some reason with them, but i want something that has just a little more visual 'pop'

>Initial topic of the thread: How are you planning on painting your fleets, if not the studio schemes?

My PHR are going to be a shiny, hot-rod red for the smooth plates, gunmetal for the shooty bits and the usual blue for the fins.
Scourge...I dunno. Still haven't figured that out yet.
UCM, definitely going the Homeworld route someone else talked about a few threads back.

any pics of the DZC models? About to start painting up my models for teaching matches and I'd love to see possible coloring schemes.

....is everyone going hot rod phr?
I approve

No, I left my minis bag over at my buddy's place, and I won't have a chance to get them until this weekend. Im a dumbass :(

but i was just doing a simple blend with my airbrush -- based it all vlj mystery purple, then did a diagonal or two of blue-purple, went in shades to blue then to green in the middle/edges
The blue was darker than i thought it would end up in my mind, but that ended up being perfect, otherwise the blend would've been too busy.
Then just hit the details with some copper drybrush, red/orange the eyes
I still need to add some more wear and details, but good enough for tabletop work!

Tell you what, look over my plan for tonight and make sure I'm not about to colossally fuck up in some way.

I've got some scourge models primed, and I want to get a basecoat down to see how it looks. Since scourge stays pretty uniform I'm just going to hit the whole model with the base color. Before doing so I'm planning to pour out a bit of the basecoat and cut it with about 50% water. After I've got a few models done I'm going to let them dry. while they dry I'm going to wash off the brush, hoping that using my fingers that have been washed beforehand and keeping it under the sink head so that none of the oils on my skin have a chance to stick to the brush itself and totally fuck up the bristles. Is there anything in here that would be a massive fuck up and cost me anything?

no, not in the least, good habits. If anything you are being almost over-cautious haha
One thing you can do is rather than pouring paints out is use a wet-palette, basically something that will let you mix paints and water on -- i use a piece of wax paper with wet paper towels underneath -- you can plop down some paints then put a little water on, and mix until the right consistency is met. But even a paper/plastic plate or wet paper towels can work. This also gives you an easy way to mix colors if you want to

thanks for the advice. I'm going to start to work painting the basecoats on, and if it turns out well in an hour or two I'll be posting up some photos.

since you are going to adding a bit of water to your paints dont be discouraged if you dont get a ton of color in one layer. Also if your start getting beading (like a bead of water starts sliding down the model) you've probably got too much material on your brush, and you may have thinned your paints too....
No, I can't say it. But you've got too much water on your brush (whew, close one)

awesome, I look forward to it!

I'm trying to go for the full on Giger alien effect with my Scourge - just black and varying shades of dark green, with bright poison green for the eyes and lighty weapon bits. Anyone got any tips for how I can get the most of out of a dark, mostly low contrast scheme like this? I've been playing tabletop model games for a long time but painting has never really been a big part of the hobby for me and most of my armies are bare plastic, I really want the DFC models to look nice though.

well, honestly I can think of two ways to pull of a scheme like that using the opposite approaches
The black approach -- basically you start with a black/dark primer or base coat, and you work upward in colors. You can use really dark greens to add the suggestion of the curves and contours and adds an almost subconscious hue to the model, but with dark green on black it may take a ton of layers until it shows up. If you don't want to do tons of layers you can instead use a grey tone to pull out your highlights and then just hit the whole model with a dark green wash. Then go back and do the eyes and weapon lights.

The white approach -- in this you would actually start with the dark green color, and shade downwards -- it'd be a ton more work but if you're really good you'd have more control over your black depth. but it'd be a LOT more work and I personally am nowhere near that patient.

>email from The War Store
>phase 2 is finally shipping out
>turns out that Hawk accidentally shipped all the pre-orders to Georgia, rather than NY
kek

If you are confident in a wash technique, prime-white, paint the highlight, then wash black as fuck is very easy, and looks GREAT. It's fast, but just needs a bit of sense as you're sorta layering a tint over an existing color.

Thanks for the tips bros. I have to reiterate, though, while I'm very confident in having a steady hand, I don't really have very much experience at all with painting techniques, so I'm not sure yet which of these methods I would go with. Can the second user elaborate on how I get a white-primed model to turn black with simple wash? Any tutorial videos you guys have would really help as well.

This one's on the hawk forums and works fucking great.
hawkforum.co.uk/hawkforum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6568

smile.amazon.com/SE-MZ1013FL-Magnifier-Flexible-Flashlight/dp/B000Z7GGJC

So, these are all builds that could actually be made with the parts, but which don't have rules in the book? Does this mean there's a very large chance of noobs opening a starter set and building illegal ships by statistical accident if they don't give the rules and assembly instruction a careful look-through first? Because I really don't relish the idea of playing a pick-up game with some kid who has a bunch of improper models by WYSIWYG and having to remember what they all fucking count as.

Well, said I'd post photos of the basecoat. Looking the models over, I can clearly see spots I missed and they'll get cleaned up before I do anything else. Particularly happy with my destroyers and invaders, they took wonderfully to the base coat.

So, now that we know that there's a faction X coming, what do you dudes think a possible play style or aesthetic for them will be?

We know Dave loves his art deco, and that the UCM are blocky and angular, the Scourge are flowing and circular, the PHR are smooth and streamlined, and the Shaltari are decorative and geometric.

What other aesthetic archetypes are there that can fit in with the overall art deco theme, for any artfags inna this thread?

Pretty much, which is also why magnetization will be such a big thing; it's very possible that Hawk will put up rules for variants that otherwise didn't have them

Looking pretty good user, but you might wanna go through with a toothpick or sharp scalpel and clean out a few of those clogged vents/grilles.

Also, grab some parchment paper, a flat surface or board, a chair, and some tape, and make yourself a quick and dirty white backdrop.

To be honest, I'm tempted to leave the clogging in and go over it with some green to make it look a little bit grown over, like whatever biotech is in there is trying to grow out. Gonna probably take that toothpick to it and remove it for now though. At worst I can try that with the green paint and see how it looks.

Cool idea, and entirely reasonable, but it's fair to note that the Scourge vehicles aren't actually "biotech", per say; they just look organic.

But hey, if you can make it work, you can make it work.

yeah, its a great start to the models. Another thought is that instead of biogrowth it could be just like plant growth -- havent needed to fly the invaders for over a hundred years or whatnot

Question, I heard there were some references to Faction X in phase 1 (or in the core rulebook itself); where can these be found? I'm reading through, and haven't seen any.

There's not really any reference. The only unaccounted for thing is that an unknown ship destroyed a UCM scout that was surveying the Solar System, and it didn't seem to match up to known types of ships the various races used.

Or they could be a scourge patrol from that planet with all the megafauna- ships leaving for patrol for a few hours are getting their vents clogged with massively invasive spores.

Lots of ideas, lots of fun explanations for why that plant growth is there.

>looking at phase 1
>page 43
>massive fucking chunk missing out of Africa
>inland sea
What the fuck happened there.

Pretty sure that counts

Nothing good, but I would think it'd be hilarious if that wasn't due to the Scourge, that was part of those apocalyptic wars between present day and humanity's Golden Ages.

You'd get there and be like
>Ho shit! What happened to Africa???
>Oh that? Oh the Scourge didn't do that, its always been that way.

Pics?

Apologies for shitty phone quality.

>tfw the missing land almost looks like a Scourge heavy cruiser
m-must be a coincidence, right?

I also just noticed, SA is suddenly fucking HUGE, and from all those lights, seasteading took off big time.

lol that was my first thought as well

>Congo is gone
At least it was nothing important

Quick, if you have your core rulebook on your, post your favorite alternate schemes for each faction, and then rate each others' tastes.

UCM: Plain Urban and Fleet 2-Tone
Scourge: Red Chrome and Dark Pearl
PHR: Desert Shade and White Gloss
Shaltari: Amazons and Comanche

>UCM
I prefer Block Urban, but I gotta respect that delicious fleet 2-tone. Shit's great.

>Scourge
I prefer the schemes like Dark with Engine glow and Red Shark Skin, but hey I can still respect your choices.

>PHR
Good simple schemes but I'm a huge fan of Oxide Desert, I think that one takes the cake for me.

>Shaltari
>Not thinking Mongols is not only best native tribe but also best color scheme
and here I was thinking you were an user with sensible tastes.

Block urban is pretty good, but I feel like the UCM looks better in solid colors unless they're suitably contrasting. The slate blue scheme one of their guest painters did, for example, is fantastic.

>dark and sharkskin
Both good choices, but I find the Scourge look more alien the more metallic they are.

>Oxide desert
good taste, solid colors are always good, but the two-tone white and orange a guest painter did as well is great.

>mongols
son u wut, mahogany w/ gold is so cliche.

>look at Wayland
>51 days for starter set release
>65 days for battleship release
>93 days for cruiser box and frigate box release
wut

Its cliche because it looks so damn good!
We can at least agree inuit looks pretty based right?

Oh yeah, Inuit is pretty good; Mongol in my opinion would look much better as a dark-grey-brown with silver vanes, rather than gold.

Qucik, if you have your core rulebook on you, SCAN IT :P

All the DZC rulebooks are already scanned.

We don't have DFC, and that's not what they're talking about.

its wayland they ain't gotta explain shit

for example a mate of mine is waiting on a konflict 47 starter box he ordered which they apparently haven't sent despite them having multiples unsold on the shelf

youtube.com/watch?v=driMTJWlQKA

So I'm watching this proxy beta battle report here, and the guy is using Corvettes. Does this mean that despite not having models yet, there were already rules for Corvettes included in the beta?

A pair of those are gonna be great Strike Carrier hunters.

>Were in Atmosphere you need 6's to hit us!
>Bitch, I needed 5's when you were up here anyway. Nothing has changed. Now bend over and take your 12 dice worth of medicine.

Ten dice.

It has a light and medium battery. Which, I feel, is kinda useless. I'd much rather the PHR light cruiser have the choice to be all mediums or all lights.

I mean both the light cruisers added up together.

Plus, it's not like they'll be going weapons free is it?

>How are you planning on painting your fleets, if not the studio schemes?
I think PHR ground stuff looks really good in grey with orange bits, so would try to translate that onto a spaceship. May sound ridiculous, but considering doing a reversed tiger pattern on the smooth hull (principally a nice middle shade of grey, with orange stripes). Will have to do a test model and see whether it works or just looks stupid.

If I were to do other factions:
>UCM
The default scheme is pretty sweet, so this is tricky. I guess black, though I don't have the skill to highlight pure black, especially at this scale.
>Scourge
Metallic blue, but quite bright, not purple-ish like the Metallic Blue alternate scheme in the DZC fluff book. Either that or black with all the ridges drybrushed gold.
>Shaltari
Basically the Aztecs scheme, with the cores being in red.

>UCM
Special Forces Black and Plain Urban.
>Scourge
The two Shark Skin schemes.
>PHR
Urban Single Shade and Urban Camo.
>Shaltari
Aztecs (big surprise given the above) and Mongols.

> How are you planning on painting your fleets, if not the studio schemes?

I want to give the basecoat -> Inkwash layering system a go for my scourge. I have an Army Painter US Green I used for my Bolt Action Marines which leaves a fairly light base, so I'm thinking of that with either my blue or purple wash for the layers, then pick out the occulus's.
For the battlecruiser though, Tamiya white and then black layer upon black layer of ink wash. Then drybrush the highlights white and add detailing.

PHR: Gonna get me some high gloss gold spray and bling the fuck out of it.

I may just go for a slightly less pristine version of the official scheme. Give the sheer surfaces a look more similar to thoroughly cleaned bone.

>space fish skellingtons

I'll be doing my UCM in Hungarian colors; grey-blue for the main body with white and grey highlights and orange turrets.

> How are you planning on painting your fleets, if not the studio schemes?

My Shaltari will be green to match my dzc army. The PHR will be red with white bits a bit like in pic related.

Hiigaran* fucking autocorrect. I swear that's the one thing Android does worse than Windows phone.

Oh yeah I suppose I'll have a handful of Scourge/UCM ships from the KS freebies.

Guess the Scourge will be black and yellow like my DZC stuff, UCM I haven't decided yet.

I have to paint two fleets. My own will be UCM near to standard studio scheme.

The other is for my little brother who is not a wargamer and decided to buy into this one as PHR. He wants to do his fleet in the theme from Shodan from System Shock.

Right now I am leaning to making he main panels a black metal color. The interior panels would be a medium grey with the smallest details being standard metal. Then inbetween do a reverse highlight with all the gaps being a neon green with hints of white.

The main problem is with the paneling. All black metal might be boring. I might switch it to grey with black metal inside side. I will see when I do a test piece.

I love that the little guy looks like he's gonna box ya. You go, little djinn.

>>Were in Atmosphere you need 6's to hit us!
>>Bitch, I needed 5's when you were up here anyway. Nothing has changed.
>Doubling the number of shots required changes nothing

All the Scourge vessels are cute in their own ways

>gotta go FAST gotta get these PIZZA TRAYS planetside!

He wouldn't actually need sixes. Light broadsides need 4s to hit frigates due to the light caliber rule. Even in atmosphere he still would be hitting on a 5.

why are the PHR so greek?

And is it acceptable to pronounce that 'Fyr'?

It gives them an air of sophisticated, better-than-thou intellectualism.

No. Light caliber reduces lock by one. Atmosphere says "fuck your lock value, you hit on 6+ now". So it's actually tripling the shots necessary.

Remind me, is it still 6s to hit when performing atmosphere-to-atmosphere shooting, or just when shooting down into atmosphere?

Not clear on atmosphere-to-atmosphere

Because of Aleph in Infiniti - clear rip off - same colours even ...

>only one faction from one game may every be smooth, white, and sleek, a very common aesthetic in itself
Please go, you're not funny, unlike prepainted-models user.

I genuinely can't work out why dropcommander is getting some hate in almost every thread. Something like age of sigmar, yes, I could see why people were incandescent at its existence, but why is someone so mad at Hawk?

>incandescent

Pretty sure it was only shooting down into it.

If it was always 6+ it would making corvettes kinda dumb.

Just the typical autist fans who can't see why anyone would want to play another game than the one they masturbate to. Lots of games have their merits of niches, but some douches just want everyone to say their choice is the best.

It is just more noticeable because Hawk is one of the few A+ companies to buy from. Everyone always looks for the cracks in the lining when you ahead of the pack in certain areas.

Gloriously

Corvettes could potentially get a special rule. We know the Scylla has one about shooting out of atmosphere.

Is there a penalty for shooting between high and low orbit?

Coupled by the fact that both of those factions are cyborg robot driven AI mechana things ? Nope - nothing to see here carry on ...

It's just some giant assburger getting mad that someone likes a non GW game.

There's a few of them around. Generally they're fed up of people shitting on GW stuff for being unbalanced and continually less aesthetically pleasing, so they let out their frustration by shitting on the games people point out as better alternatives.

You're an idiot. Dropzone and ALEPH were in development and released at roughly the same time.

Dave would need a time machine to copy ALEPH.

I believe it's -1 lock.

And once again you lie like a kid that you are.

DZC - 2012
INFINITI HUMAN SPHERE - 2009 (with hints in previous books)

You make it soo easy for me ...

To be fair, ALEPH seems to have a far greater love for hexagonal markings than the PHR does.
But the smooth curves and post-humanism are similar themes.

Isn't ALEPH heavily inspired by Ghost in the Shell?

I think it's more likely that GitS influenced Dave than Infinity did.

yeah Ghost in the Shell is certainly one of the big influences on the styling and theme of ALEPHs look.

And I agree, it is certainly possible that Ghost in the Shell influenced both designs.

And yet, the Myrmidons and Greek shit didn't start coming out until 2012.

GitS is probably a bigger part of popular culture and has been around longer than Infinity, so I reckon this is a case of both Hawk and CB taking inspiration from the same source rather than one 'ripping off' the other.

Also fuck the term 'ripping off' it's overused so goddamn much that it's basically lost all meaning.

...At which point Aleph was entirely Vedic. There was not a single Homeric unit in Aleph at release.

The first Steel Phalanx (i.e. the Homeridae stuff) releases wouldn't arrive for three years after that, beginning with Achilles and his Myrmidons.

PHR just take their names from mythology in general.

Their ground units include Valkyries, Odins, Enyos, Thor, etc. They're an odd mishmash of archaic references and traditions. They refer to their commanders as 'viziers', for example, and their names are a mixture of common Greek, Roman, and Hebrew names.

At which point you are wrong once again. I just don't want to kick you while you are down. But Achilles is at the cover of Human Sphere 2009 ... so ... Also on page 108 you have section The Essence of Post - Humanity - read it Also on page 114 you have ... MYRMIDONS - this are Vedic to ? PATROCLUS (page 117) is Vedic ? Dude do you RALLY think all other users here can't see the obvious fact that you are Hawk Talon Troll ? And you will insult other users intelect by lieing about things that anyone can easly check ?

Aleph in the human sphere has very little to do with Greeks and more about it being a big brother figure that sees itself as the overseer of man kind. The only actual attachment to specific greek mythology is the creation of Achillies which is more about Aleph trying to make super soliders than following an aesthetic.

DZC PHR is about people that believe themselves to be better due to the wisdom of an outside alien race. They use the mythological god archtype because they think they are convinced they are better than everyone else.

The two are actually very different and neither are very original in sci fi.

>implying all of scifi doesn't copy itself

Nice meme

Dude, those were just on paper then. They weren't released until 2012.

As of 2009 nobody had any clue what Myrmidons or Achilles were like in Infinity, save that Achilles had hilariously dudebro hair. The Homeric aesthetic did not exist yet.

If you want to talk about Infinity, try here . If Hawk do ever make a skirmish game in the same scale then some discussion of the relative merits of various sci-fi skirmish games will be fair, but there is fuck all overlap between the two dropcommander games and Infinity, so please go discuss Infinity in the right thread.

>implying anyone here has the patience or social skills to be a Talon

Fuck, you're stupid.

He was pointing out that none of the Steel Phalanx stuff was released with the ALEPH first or second waves. We didn't get Achilles and his Saturday morning friends until much, much later.

At which point they took over the whole goddamn faction to the point where barely anyone even remembers how little Greek influence there was at first. Seriously, fuck Steel Phalanx.

So you know when was what on paper - are you this chubby guy from hawk himself or his mother then ? Sure I can say I had GoT written before Martin - all on paper ... Also - try to put everyhing in one post - Making multiple entries is not something you are good in and that is obvious. Each to his own - for me designing the faction of robot android cyborgs with the same esthathis as already functioning one is just sloppy faggotterry at its finest - for you it might be sufficient cool or whatnot. Will leave you with your delusions now :*