Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Friendly reminder to tell us what 3pp your game allows if you need character building help.

Do devils dream of infernal sheep?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/iYhDNSTq (embed) (embed) (embed)

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Horror Adventures: imgur.com/a/r2TOH
imgur.com/a/odYOE

New leak from DSP: Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warriors: docs.google.com/document/d/1dX4UYdtwTQKhY71Q45IHLtcu193zq1ZO5jHQ5_PnTl8/edit

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Outsider
docs.google.com/document/d/14xiRRju0zPb62Q2Q3Jqpqr8tosELq8I5kJcFm5YilLo/edit#
d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/esoteric-magus-archetype
d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/monastic-legacy-combat
d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/silver-games/ponykind
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Devils need no sleep. Nor they have time to, with all the paperwork needed for their evil plans.

Sure

Devils, and everyone else in Hell sleep. Being able to dream is part of their punishment.

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Outsider
>Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.
And why would a Devil even bother making dreams and not objectives, when the meritocracy of Hell means they always have the possibility of eventually becoming a pit fiend?

New DM doing prep for a first time session for new players. They keep asking for a DMPC and I'm not sure about it. Should I just make a fey NPC similar to Navi and Puck?

Tell us more about the campaign.

They've decided to play an Aasimar Barbarian, a half-elf Paladin, and a Kitsune Sorcerer. I also have a pc cat-folk wizard who will come in and out of sessions periodically.

They politely asked for a jungle setting so I'm placing them in the Mwangi expanse. The story starts out with them in the middle of their first dungeon which also has the paladin's first morality decision.

He sees a damsel roped up and, if things go correctly, will assume she's a good person. However, she's actually one of the first bbeg. The paladin won't suffer any consequences unless he goes out of his way to purposely kill her while she's tied up since that's a dick move.

But otherwise it's temple exploration and artifact finding. With the Aasimar desiring to find the Starstone because he wants to be a god.

Make the DMPC a guide to the jungle if the Barbarian is not familiar with the area.

Since they're new players, make the DMPC a normal race to help them walk through basic rules for combat and skill checks.

You can even make the DMPC a bard to help them succeed on those skill or combat rolls to make the session go more easily.

docs.google.com/document/d/14xiRRju0zPb62Q2Q3Jqpqr8tosELq8I5kJcFm5YilLo/edit#

Psicrystals Augmented playtest thing.

Psicrystal weapon needs a hell of a lot of cleanup and fixing. It should apply over an existing weapon, the Deep Crystal material should be in addition to the base material, and it needs to come on earlier. It needs to not lose the Personality, Material Mastery is trash and does nothing and needs to be scrapped. The entire Psicrystal Weapon needs to be fixed. As-is, it's a strict nerf with almost zero upsides. Also, the Deliver Touch Powers ability needs clarification. Does it work like Spellstrike? It should, if it doesn't, because otherwise it's never going to be relevant ever.

The Cortex Strike line is awful. In order to make it do anything at all, it costs five feats, Str 13, and all it does is let you get Sneak Attack once on an enemy. It's awful. Oh, and you need to multiclass out of Rogue/Ninja to even get it, AND your Rogue/Ninja levels won't progress your Psicrystal Weapon anyway.

I don't know who's actually in charge of the document, but please, try and fix it up.

Yeah, that was my second goto. I was just more worrisome of the Bard becoming the face of the party and the players relying on him too much. I think I'll go Archaeologist Bard though. Thanks.

Archivist is a good one if they don't have anyone good at Knowledge checks.

Imagine you have to adapt a Monk/Sorcerer/Enlightened Fist highly focused on turning Stunning fists on Shocking grasp and having shield and mage armor almost always on to PF, how should I do it using Paizo only material?

Highy jump ki power, you add your total level to Athletics or just your monk level?

monk level.

Akashic Mysteries PDF where?

I wouldn't try.

Monks don't work that well in Pathfinder.
You have to have high Wisdom and Charisma for it to work.
It sounds strange that you can only use Paizo, but you're converting something from 3.5 ed.
Multiclassing and Prestige Classes don't work as well for Pathfinder as it did in 3.0/3.5 ed.

Try using an Esoteric Magus instead:

>d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/archetypes/paizo---magus-archetypes/esoteric-magus-archetype

It's from Occult Adventures, so it's allowed under your restrictions.

My Gm treats 3.5 and PF as different games, he's converting a 3.5 old game into PF to continue the story and want us to make our characters as exact as possible, I'm by far the one having most problems. Whaterver I come up with I end being, ironially, lackluster as fuck or not doing at all what I was doing before.

There was a charisma based monk recently released. Multiclass with sorc? And go into dragon disciple.

Check out the Blood Conduit. What level are you. You're gonna be eating shit no matter what, user.

Tell us more about your character, in detail.

10th level

>There was a charisma based monk recently released.
There was? When was that? Where was it?

Is the any list of paizo books is chronological release order

>Is the any list of paizo books is chronological release order

What?

>Is there any list of paizo books in chronological order by release date?

I don't think so, but you could try the Paizo store.

Trying to figure out what golarion books arent canon anymore

I just reread Complete Arcane.

If you went with 10 levels of Esoteric Magus, you could have:

4th level spells (with a high enough Int)
+7/+2 1d10 unarmed attack
Spell Combat (instead of Arcane Fist)
Arcane Pool (instead of Fist of Energy)
Light armor use with an AC bonus (no need for Mage Armor)

And, you only have to keep Int high instead of Wis and Cha, leaving you free to raise Dex.

You can use Magus Arcanas to replace some of the Monk abilities that you would miss.

>d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana

But esoteric is shit, user

Is it worse than multiclassing Monk / Sorcerer / Enlightened Fist?

Decisive Strike Monk1/Battle Sorcerer3/Enlightened Fist4/Abjurant Champion2
Luck of the heroes
Stunning fist
Combat casting
Extra Stunningx2
Practiced spellcaster
Superior unarmed strike
Improved natural attack
Spells the usual, greater mighty wallop, shocking grasp, etc you know the deal in these cases
Stats are pretty high except it, in order, 22, 18, 14, 11, 16, 16. main reason on why I went with this character in 3.5. I think I'm not forgetting anything (don't have the sheet with me right now).

I can't change stats (going to try to be as similar as possible as they're, if I can't I'll cry to my GM if he lets me rearrange stats, so far he says no) and if I was going unarmored before I must go unarmored now.

Legacy of Dragons. It's REALLY shit.

I'm not sure where to begin with this conversion.

Is the DM allowing you to leave the prestige classes as they are, or does he want you to use a Paizo equivalent?

Paizo material only, so no Enlightened Fist or Abjurant Champion.

I forgot, I also had a feat, which name I don't remember that stacked levels in monk and caster for unarmed damage, AC and flurry (or similar).

Ascetic Mage, from Complete Adventurer:
>Prerequisite
>Improved Unarmed Strike, ability to spontaneously cast 2nd-level arcane spells

>Benefit
>As a swift action that doesn't provoke attacks of opportunity, you can sacrifice one of your daily allotment of spells to add a bonus to your unarmed strike attack rolls and damage rolls for 1 round. The bonus is equal to the level of the spell sacrificed. The spell is lost as if you had cast it.
>If you have levels in sorcerer and monk, those levels stack for the purpose of determining your AC bonus. For example, a human 4th-level sorcerer/1st-level monk would have a +1 bonus to AC as if she were a 5th-level monk. If you would normally be allowed to add your Wisdom bonus to AC (such as for a unarmored, unencumbered monk), you instead add your Charisma bonus (if any) to your AC.
>In addition, you can multiclass freely between the sorcerer and monk classes. You must still remain lawful in order to continue advancing as a monk. You still face the normal XP penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart.

No, wasn't that, I remember Ascetic Mage, it was other, similar to Tashalatorra.

what are some of your best stories of Bringing the Party Together?

My favorite was a generic, "you all meet in a bar when a random quest giver shows up" scenario. Before the quest giver ever showed up the plaers got into an argument about which race was supreior and ended up in an hour long PvP grappling match. By the end they were all badly beaten and life long friends.

>You all meet in a tavern. Roll initiative, you're in the middle of a bar fight.
They all got arrested and officially met in the "death cells" (the ones used for prisoners sentenced to hanging).

I have been thinking.
Chaos in PF mythos is the source of life.
And Law is the source of death.
But Good is still the source of growth and healimg, and Evil the source of killing.

I can't find any other 3.5 feats for monks like .

The PF equivalent, Monastic Legacy, is a lot weaker.

>d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/monastic-legacy-combat
>Prerequisite: Still mind class feature, Improved Unarmed Strike.
>Benefit: Add half the levels you have in classes other than monk to your monk level to determine your effective monk level for your base unarmed strike damage. This feat does not make levels in classes other than monk count toward any other monk class features.

Wow, it's motherfucking nothing!

That feat is just...such junk.

We've said it a lot.

Martials can't have nice things in Pathfinder.

That's why we keep going to DSP and other 3pp.

>Wow, it's motherfucking nothing!
Welcome to absolutely anything related to monks in PF. Unchained Monk was such an improvement and is still miles behind compared to what you could do with monks in 3.5, IN DAMN 3.5!

That actually looks potable for a monk, kudos. But you're on PF now and you don't have anything remotely similar, sucks to be you.

I prefer to think of Chaos/Law in the same way Dark Souls looks at Fire and Dark.
The flame brings light and life to the world, but is dangerous and volatile, spawning demons and consuming those who delve into it's power.
The dark is peaceful and comforting in it's stillness, granting rest and support to all who seek it, but at the same time it chokes and smothers those who allow themselves to be covered in it.
Both bring good and ill in equal measure, with the ill mostly being when it is followed to the exclusion of everything else. Each seeks to drive out the other, but only when taken in each hand and placed in balance can the man who holds them thrive.

In general this feels a lot more unpolished compared to other playtests we've gotten, or maybe that's because a lot of the options don't feel very exciting.

I was hoping for more transformative archetypes, like familiars have archetypes that are applied for free and apply big changes to their role and how they work.

Most of the new psicrystal modes cost another feat, and apart from Psicrystal Creature, they don't apply very interesting changes, only adding one or two abilities that feel minor.
Like, the Cognizance Psicrystal... is just a scaling cognizance crystal which is useful but really boring, and then it locks you out of any other psicrystal option.

Implanted feels like it should be a big gamechanger but all it does is lose the ability to move, give an initiative bonus (again, useful but not exciting), a small skill bonus at 7th, and its first interesting ability at 11th. Surgically implanting your psicrystal is apparently hardly any different from just never letting it out of your front pocket.

Attuned Psicrystal gives a pretty good bonus but in many cases it's just a feat that boosts your class abilities, without changing anything about your psicrystal and again locking you out of other options. It's got zero flavor.
Similar for Empowered. 'It can manifest 2/day now at half ML! Nothing else changes.'

Psicrystal Weapon might forever be in the Augmented Blade's shadow, but I agree with the already mentioned points about it being underwhelming. Also it can't move now but you still get sight link for something you want by your side at all times. Why.

Overall... maybe it's a case of 'I wanted Familiar Archetypes, didn't get them' but apart from a few feats there's nothing that really grabs me in here.

eyo pfg, beginner here trying to build an inquisitor.
What stats are good for an inquisitor? id like to go with spells plus a side of melee/tanking

>Both bring good and ill in equal measure, with the ill mostly being when it is followed to the exclusion of everything else. Each seeks to drive out the other, but only when taken in each hand and placed in balance can the man who holds them thrive.

Thanks user, I'm now wondering how I could implement an Aldia-type character that seeks the third option, beyond Chaos and beyond Law.

Is Shadow Gambit the only way to make silent/minor/major images deal damage?

>A Half-Ogre who desperately wants to be beautiful and girly, like the other girls in the village. Becomes an adventurer to achieve this by any means necessary.

I know it's a bit bare bones but how does it sound? I think it's an okay concept but I want to know what others may think. For some reason I feel like I'm delving into Magical Realm territory without realizing it.

Makes sense to me, but it's a goal they can probably achieve pretty early on with some low level spells or magic items.

They'll need a reason to stick around - and something to do - once they get their wish.

Wrong way to go about it than.

Depends on how much you want to melee.
If you want to focus more on spells, go hard for Wisdom - it ensures enemies don't just laugh your spells off and it lets you cast more spells per day. And other benefits, too.
However, if all you're gonna do with spells is beef yourself up and whack things with a warhammer, Wisdom is decidedly less important and you should go for Strength and Constitution instead. Self-buffs rarely benefit from Wisdom (aside from Wisdom letting you cast more spells per day.) You do need a minimum Wisdom score to actually cast spells, but something like 14 Wisdom would last a melee build almost forever.
What's the creation method, here, point buy or rolling?

If you want spells with a side of melee, go for cleric instead.

Inquisitor is designed for melee focus and cleric can be decent in fights.
Google 'pathfinder cleric guide'

What if she's determined to achieve her ideal self through her own hard work and not alter self/belt of charisma/etc.?

>For some reason I feel like I'm delving into Magical Realm territory without realizing it.

Dude, her end-game is to literally get boned by a handsome dude who thinks she's pretty.

You're fucked before even starting

well ive chosen inquisitor more for theme.

Fluff wise my inquisitor beleives in honour and will hunt for cowards of any walks of life, with a main focus for necros and demons.

He would bless himself and act as the beacon of light. casting spells to buff himself and other spells (such as lock gaze as my inquisitor wants to be the last things cowards see as they die)

havnt rolled for stats yet but starting spells wise ive chosen:

level 0/orisons: detect magic, detect poison, disrupt undead, light.
level 1: lock gaze and bless

would this work? (p.s i am not trying to be strong/best character possible. just want to make a character who isn't badly skilled)

Pretty good. And if you play it deadly serious, it isn't magical realm. Point out how other races, other monsters even, are treated with more respect and kindness, and at least given the benefit of the doubt. an ogre? A SMART ogre? There is nothing good about them, and your character should be first to admit it.

Adventuring isn't really the most feminine of career choices, though.

You can do this much better by playing Unchained Monk from level 1-10.

>Adventuring isn't really the most feminine of career choices, though.

Jessica Price has explicitly argued against this, adventuring is gender-neutral.

why tho

.....then you haven't actually played an unchained monk.

How does I make a good summoner that isn't a synthesist?

What are some great combat brute summons I can make at level 5?

Your lock gaze will flop quite commonly past level 1-2, but that's just a fact of life for a caster that focuses on melee.
It's like - would you rather be swinging a nerf bat and die in two hits but be able to cast spells properly, or whack things real good and take hits like a champ, but fail offensive spells every other try?

Guys?

Tashalatorra monk is times better than unchained monk

>Can't shocking graps spam
>Can't punch once to deal fuck ton of damage
>Can't have fucking huge AC
>Doesn't have the utility of a caster

Weirdest shit you can find on the PFSRD, I'll start on the page for 'Settlements'.

>A good summoner that isn't a synthesist

Base Summoner. Synthesist is OBJECTIVELY WORSE than base summoner, because you lose out on action economy. If your GM, or someone else in the group, bitches that synthesist is an upgrade then they're morons.

If you want to ignore your eidolon entirely and piss off other players play a Master Summoner. Augment Summons as a level 1 bonus feat, and you can flood the field if you really want.

>great combat brute summons

Augmented Small Earth Elementals, summoned en-masse via Superior Summons, are fucking brutal in packs so long as they and their target are groundbound. Leopards are decent for a single summon, but I'd just use a quadrupedal pounce-eidolon if you ever want "one big murderizing summon".

There's an entire guide on summon spells in the Zenith Games Guide List, might want to check that out.

Political correctness aside, under the view of the traditional gender roles of middle age european fantasy settings, femininity is gentle, meek, graceful, slightly frail, and calm.

Sure any user can say "But /I/ like tomboys and warrior women!" and they're perfectly entitled to that, but by a normal D&D setting standard, if your PC wanted to chase traditional femininity, wild and violent adventuring is really not the right way to do it.

Also
>Jessica Price
Literally who?

The answer is to make them a wizard or bard or something. :/

>Literally who?

One of the lead developers at Paizo?

d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/silver-games/ponykind

White Mages can be adventurers while being feminine

The fuck have those hacks done to be worthy of being recognized by name alone?

Action economy is great and all, but so is a powerhouse PC in the party.

Until based editor-san intervenes, whoever that unsung hero is.

She's extremely active on the Paizo forums which gives her a lot of visibility, and although she's only directly influenced Inner Sea Faiths and Inner Sea Races it would be silly to suggest her opinion doesn't have significant weight in other works (particularly Qadira.)

What's her opinion in caster supremacy? did she explained why martials can't have nice things?

I doubt she has *any* interest in the mechanical side of Pathfinder, user. Jessica and Crystal seem to be more into discussing the lore and developing regions.

>shoehorning 21st century values into a medieval fantasy setting.
Fixed that for you.

>A powerhouse PC in the party
>what is the standard natural attack+pounce eidolon

A Synthesist is strong and an extremely fun and flavorful archetype, but a base summoner is already 2 characters. You're playing a caster and his bruiser companion. Sure the eidolon falls off at later levels, but by that point you're capable of summoning swarms of angels/devils/whateverthefuck and using planar binding.

>there will never be a martial that gets a synthesist suit

>medieval
you keep repeating that word when it is clear pathfinder is not medieval

[Insert argument that you should let them do that because they don't get paid a lot here]

>>there will never be a martial that gets a synthesist suit
You mean an Aegis?

Dude I fucking wish it was Medieval, I'm getting mighty bored of Renaissance-era settings and would really much like something closer to the Witcher.

You know, something that has Lord-Vassal relationships and actual medieval politics rather than this pseudo nation-state bullshit they've got going on in Golarion.

You know damn well I mean a 1pp martial, and using the same mechanics as synthesist user. This shit happens EVERY TIME someone says this.

>>there will never be a martial that gets a synthesist suit
You mean Avant Guard?

>You mean Avant Guard?
Wait, you mean they get to have their Stand as a suit? Its been a while since I saw it.

But user, Aegis is illegal

synthesist is pointless archetype anyway
what is the point of a pet class if you dont have a pet
it is like that "hunter with no pet" shit

It can share a space with you so you could just have it exist on top of you all the time.

Aegis is a piss poor synthesist suit.

1.Any form not called Astral Skin is horseshit, since you can just get "real armor" and enhance it.

2.Most of the custom point options are only good for mobility if you don't want to be a shitty faux caster. No claw attacks. No Bite Attacks. You get tentacles with one archetype that is arguably a downgrade.

Aegis is a shitty meme class that I wish people would stop recommending. It's only worth looking at if you're doing gestalt.

>not wanting to be devilman

Its for when you yourself want to play as a monster.

You're not the monster as a synthesist summoner. You just summon the monster on top of yourself.

people recommend it because it's ok for a non-caster, you seem to forget the huge abysm there's between martials and casters, of course whatever we recommend on the martial side is going to be shitty.

no
if you really wanted to become a monster
alchemist is the solution

It's as close as you can get to "all day shapeshifting into one powerful, monstrous creature as a class feature" as we have, though. I mean, I guess there's alchemist, but the main thing here is

>all day
>multiple body types
>easily modifiable and refluffable

>solution
Hah, chemistry joke, I get it.